Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?

+16
Jake from State Farm
MSU addict
y2kMgrad
steveschneider
The Pantry
Senior Dickfist
InTenSity
tGreenWay
Nordic
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
Dendrobates
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? Empty What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?

Post by Dendrobates Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:14 am

Favorites or even most hated? What about unique dishes?

My favorite is our families homemade dinner rolls. They take a long time to make (needs to rise for a day or two), and we come to roll them together (3 little balls per muffin tin). My brother has taken over for it, and makes them just as great as my dad did. Pure heaven hot out of the oven and smothered in butter.

Unique dishes our family does: parsnips - cut into fry like shapes. Boiled, but not done completely, then they are fried in butter.

Cottage cheese- only use Michigan small curd brand. Diced white onions with a good amount of salt and pepper. I know it sounds weird, but always a favorite in my family, and my in-laws like it when I bring it for thanksgiving.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? Empty Re: What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:21 am

used to be a homemade mac and cheese I would make.. I'd often make one for us (my wife, daughter and I), I'd make another to take over to some friends house we always spend Thanksgiving with, and there have been a few times I made it for a work gathering.

however, lately I've perfected a roasted garlic mashed potatoes with chives and rosemary. Looking forward to that this Thursday.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? Empty Re: What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 am

My mom used to make this corn souffle that I looked forward to every year. She only made it on Thanksgiving. She tried to teach me how to make it about five years before she passed. I really wish I would have paid more attention and taken notes. Dad used to make this awesome stuffing with sausage and the giblets in it. I know how to make that, but it's not the same as him making it. He's wintering in FL already I'm SOL on that one, too. Thanksgiving becomes different when your parents aren't around. This will be the first without being with either.

Circle of life. The only constant is the Lions losing more than they win on turkey day.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 am

Yes
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

TrapperGus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 am

Cranberries
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 am

Thanksgiving is honestly probably my least favorite of the various holiday spreads. Nothing I’m particularly looking forward to. Pumpkin pie I suppose. I wish we could just eat burritos or something we all agree is delicious instead of a garbage bird.

That said i’m already looking forward to the Christmas Eve spread that I will get to partake in. Homemade pierogis and anchovy sauce (listen it’s good just shut up.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:54 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Thanksgiving is honestly probably my least favorite of the various holiday spreads. Nothing I’m particularly looking forward to. Pumpkin pie I suppose. I wish we could just eat burritos or something we all agree is delicious instead of a garbage bird.

That said i’m already looking forward to the Christmas Eve spread that I will get to partake in. Homemade pierogis and anchovy sauce (listen it’s good just shut up.)
Thanksgiving is hands-down my favorite holiday of all the holidays.

it's just a good vibe.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:11 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Thanksgiving is honestly probably my least favorite of the various holiday spreads. Nothing I’m particularly looking forward to. Pumpkin pie I suppose. I wish we could just eat burritos or something we all agree is delicious instead of a garbage bird.

I don’t recall the shepherds eating pierogis.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:15 am

Love my moms homage stuffing. I’ll get the recipe and share it. I’m really into deviled eggs as a side dish. I’ll put more ham on my plate than turkey. Not a fan of turkey but will eat some.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:19 am

NigelUno wrote:

You weren’t there
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:25 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

You weren’t there

Seems like it would have been mentioned in the Charlie Brown Christmas story.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:33 am

Turkey. Is this a trick question?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

it's just a good vibe.

This and it is not even close. 4-day weekend. Football. Food. No running around from place to place. Way more chill than Xmas.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:42 am

Travis logic:
Turkey is a garbage bird but anchovy sauce is a delight.

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? 1401550746
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 am

tGreenWay wrote:

Travis logic:
Turkey is a garbage bird but anchovy sauce is a delight.

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? 1401550746

I don’t know what to tell you it’s good shit man. You can come to my family’s Christmas Eve if you want
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 am

Mash Potatoes and whatever I decide to grill.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:58 am

DWags wrote:Love my moms homage stuffing. I’ll get the recipe and share it. I’m really into deviled eggs as a side dish. I’ll put more ham on my plate than turkey. Not a fan of turkey but will eat some.
is the 'homage stuffing' where y'all sort of hang out and pay tribute to stuffing's gone by?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:00 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:Love my moms homage stuffing. I’ll get the recipe and share it. I’m really into deviled eggs as a side dish. I’ll put more ham on my plate than turkey. Not a fan of turkey but will eat some.
is the 'homage stuffing' where y'all sort of hang out and pay tribute to stuffing's gone by?

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? 502811600

It’s that good.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 am

Nordic wrote:Turkey. Is this a trick question?

I never had turkey for thanksgiving until I met the hubby. My grandpa always did the cooking (he’s still around but it too much work so my took over), and he never liked turkey . So we would have roasted chicken instead.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 am

Pierogis are served at my in-laws on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Sometime this month they have entire day to make them. Then they freeze them. It’s enough to make for about 70 people both days.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:26 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

it's just a good vibe.

Yes, I agree. Thanksgiving is absolutely my favorite holiday. Family, friends and food.

Speaking of food, my favorite this year will be my mom's homemade pasta sauce. Her and her siblings always fight over who will make it and they all claim that their sauce tastes the most like my grandfather's. For the record, they all taste different, but I love my mom's the best.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:07 pm

You can come to my family’s parties too dickfest.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Mashed rutabaga with turkey gravy. Love the flavor combination.

Never liked pumpkin pie.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Senior Dickfist wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: Thanksgiving is hands-down my favorite holiday of all the holidays.

it's just a good vibe.

Yes, I agree. Thanksgiving is absolutely my favorite holiday. Family, friends and food.

Speaking of food, my favorite this year will be my mom's homemade pasta sauce. Her and her siblings always fight over who will make it and they all claim that their sauce tastes the most like my grandfather's. For the record, they all taste different, but I love my mom's the best.

What kind of sauce, red white? Can you get the recipe? I love learning new recipes
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:used to be a homemade mac and cheese I would make.. I'd often make one for us (my wife, daughter and I), I'd make another to take over to some friends house we always spend Thanksgiving with, and there have been a few times I made it for a work gathering.

however, lately I've perfected a roasted garlic mashed potatoes with chives and rosemary. Looking forward to that this Thursday.

Recipe for the Mac and cheese?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Senior Dickfist wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: Thanksgiving is hands-down my favorite holiday of all the holidays.

it's just a good vibe.

Never had pasta on Thanksgiving until meeting my ex. Her parents were OTB Italian and owned a couple restaurants in metro Detroit. Both were great cooks. MIL always handmade pasta for family gatherings...best cannelloni I ever had.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:47 pm

Dendrobates wrote:

Recipe for the Mac and cheese?
it's basically Alton Brown's recipe that I tweaked a bit. I used less cheddar, more colby jack.

It's pretty simple but does get a bit more perfected over time, like most recipes.

Here ya go.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:26 pm

My favorite meal of the year. What do you guys drink when enjoying the feast? I’m going to get some micro brews.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:31 pm

This will be my 58th thanksgiving and I am 58-58 in never eating or trying cranberry sauce. (Unless like when I was 1 my mom shoved some in).
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:50 pm

DWags wrote:This will be my 58th thanksgiving and I am 58-58 in never eating or trying cranberry sauce. (Unless like when I was 1 my mom shoved some in).
Try it...you might like it. Besides, cranberry is supposed to be good for the prostate.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm

steveschneider wrote:My favorite meal of the year. What do you guys drink when enjoying the feast? I’m going to get some micro brews.

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? Ci-bulleit-bourbon-07be0e5c0084bc44
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Nordic wrote:
steveschneider wrote:My favorite meal of the year. What do you guys drink when enjoying the feast? I’m going to get some micro brews.

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? Ci-bulleit-bourbon-07be0e5c0084bc44

Nordic you kick ass. I’m going to get some bourbon to pair up with the pumpkin pie this Thursday.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 pm

Old fashioned with bullet or basil Hayden.

Probably still drink the truly/white claw as they aren’t as filling.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Dendrobates wrote:

Old fashioned with bullet or basil Hayden.

Probably still drink the truly/white claw as they aren’t as filling.

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? 1f60d
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:37 pm

I don't like turkey much. I just smother it in gravy and then I'm basically just eating gravy lol. I'm a sides guy. Love the simple ones: green bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cauliflower and cheese, my wife's homemade bread. I also love pumpkin pie. And football. And family. And beer. I love Thanksgiving.

But I'm not ever eating that cranberry sludge.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 am

DWags wrote:This will be my 58th thanksgiving and I am 58-58 in never eating or trying cranberry sauce.  (Unless like when I was 1 my mom shoved some in).
This hardly seems like something one should be proud of.

If it comes out of a can, it is probably not worth trying.  That said, homemade cranberry sauce is easy to make and does offer a unique taste profile.  

MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:46 am

I'm gonna stock up on craft beer.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:17 am

Stunned by the hatred of the cranberry sauce. You guys don’t like your tannins do you?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:37 am

steveschneider wrote:Stunned by the hatred of the cranberry sauce. You guys don’t like your tannins do you?

My wife insists on that jellied cranberry stuff. It usually ends up in the back of the refrigerator.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:30 am

Jake from State Farm wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Stunned by the hatred of the cranberry sauce. You guys don’t like your tannins do you?

My wife insists on that jellied cranberry stuff. It usually ends up in the back of the refrigerator.

Yeah, I think the ones I’ve had are a little drier than that and we tend to modernize the dish away from its disgusting goopy texture. I’ve been reading up on recipes and in one of them I think Martha Stewart put it best when she said ‘Thanksgiving just wouldn’t be the same without cranberry sauce.’

https://www.marthastewart.com/1507703/why-do-we-eat-cranberry-sauce-thanksgiving

There’s a good history on the side and at the end they label it Thanksgivings most venerable dish. We are Americans let’s honor our ancestors and the great Wampanoag tribe by eating a little cranberry sauce this thanksgiving.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next