Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe

+12
Turtleneck
Robert J Sakimano
gomersbro
Jake from State Farm
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
duffy munn
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
Rocinante
tGreenWay
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe Empty Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe

Post by tGreenWay Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:15 pm

Tigers' TV analyst Jack Morris apologizes after potentially derogatory comments

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2021/08/17/tigers-tv-analyst-jack-morris-apologizes-after-potentially-derogatory-comments/8175430002/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe Empty Re: Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe

Post by Rocinante Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:28 pm

Yeah we heard this during the broadcast. Not a great look. Although my mom was like “what’s the big deal with this race stuff?”

She’s a peach.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe Empty Re: Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:26 am

Definitely a mistake. He should apologize and we should all heal and forgive.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:39 am

Morris need to issue an apology on air and release a transcript to the reporters and media. Don’t wait. Do it within 24-48 hours so the delay becomes it’s own story.

Morris is 66 and played in an era when players/coaches could say things were acceptable or forgivable where team ownership let things slide if things like that were said in the club house and even on air for local broadcasts.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:56 am

GRR Spartan wrote:Morris need to issue an apology on air and release a transcript to the reporters and media. Don’t wait. Do it within 24-48 hours so the delay becomes it’s own story.

Morris is 66 and played in an era when players/coaches could say things were acceptable or forgivable where team ownership let things slide if things like that were said in the club house and even on air for local broadcasts.

He apologized on the air last night. Minutes after it happened.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:57 am

He apologized on air.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:58 am

Did he release a transcript of his apology though
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:06 am

Everyone of the tigers tv announcers has to go. Everyone of them. And it has nothing to do with what happened last night.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:36 am

DWags wrote:Everyone of the tigers tv announcers has to go. Everyone of them. And it has nothing to do with what happened last night.

Bring back Rod and Mario. Provide them with that therapist from the Metallica movie and make a movie out of it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:48 am

Yeah, time to part ways. He's got a history of stupid shit like this.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:58 am

I want Ernie back.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:10 am

kingstonlake wrote:Yeah, time to part ways. He's got a history of stupid shit like this.

Plus the whole thing with the female reporter in the early 90s. I am surprised he made it this far. It is definitely a time to move on. And I have many fond childhood memories of him on the mound including my first game at Tiger stadium.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:24 am

listened to the "apology".. sounds like he went the 'ol "I'm sorry if anybody was offended" route.. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:12 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:listened to the "apology".. sounds like he went the 'ol "I'm sorry if anybody was offended" route.. Rolling Eyes

Sure did. Also added “it was not my intent” to the apology. Standard apologize without apologizing stuff. Pretty lame.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:18 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:listened to the "apology".. sounds like he went the 'ol "I'm sorry if anybody was offended" route.. Rolling Eyes

Sure did. Also added “it was not my intent” to the apology. Standard apologize without apologizing stuff. Pretty lame.
yeah - the "if" and "wasn't my intention" caveats nullify any attempt at an actual apology.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:29 am

steveschneider wrote:Definitely a mistake. He should apologize and we should all heal and forgive.

Have you been appointed as spokesman for the entire Japanese- and Asian-American communities? Because if you’re just a white guy trying to move along, it smacks of privilege and a typical tone-deaf response.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Definitely a mistake. He should apologize and we should all heal and forgive.

Have you been appointed as spokesman for the entire Japanese- and Asian-American communities? Because if you’re just a white guy trying to move along, it smacks of privilege and a typical tone-deaf response.

A white guy lecturing a white guy. Thanks for the sensitivity training. Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe 55953254
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

A white guy lecturing a white guy. Thanks for the sensitivity training. Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe 55953254

Doubling down on your ignorance isn’t a good look on you.

Fucking Steve.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:34 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Fucking Steve.

Funny to watch someone hurl insults to lecture someone on sensitivity. Tough to take you seriously but thanks again for the sensitivity training. Perhaps you could do a littler better yourself?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:45 pm

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Fucking Steve.

Funny to watch someone hurl insults to lecture someone on sensitivity. Tough to take you seriously but thanks again for the sensitivity training. Perhaps you could do a littler better yourself?

Admitting you’re wrong is the first step toward enlightenment.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:52 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I respect your right to an opinion but disagree with your assessment.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:16 pm

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Disagree all you want. I guarantee if you were actually on the radio saying this, you’d be given a timeout, too, because BIPOC communities would be rightfully disgusted with you and your inability to see why you’re so wrong.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:44 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Disagree all you want. I guarantee if you were actually on the radio saying this, you’d be given a timeout, too, because BIPOC communities would be rightfully disgusted with you and your inability to see why you’re so wrong.

Pffft have you ever listened to the Howard Stern show or 97.1? Give me a break.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:53 pm

I do find it crazy that people of a certain age feel like they can drop racist things against asians but not other minorities.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:16 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I do find it crazy that people of a certain age feel like they can drop racist things against asians but not other minorities.

Imagine if Morris had tried to imitate a black player. Of course, Steve would say something really stupid then, too, in referencing something he can’t possibly understand as a white male.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:17 pm

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Here I thought you were just a simpleton, when in fact you’re an imbecile.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:27 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

This is why I didn't take any of your hand wringing seriously. This is just personal for you and you are using it as an excuse for being mean.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:31 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:I do find it crazy that people of a certain age feel like they can drop racist things against asians but not other minorities.

Imagine if Morris had tried to imitate a black player. Of course, Steve would say something really stupid then, too, in referencing something he can’t possibly understand as a white male.

Good grief. Give it a rest.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:57 pm

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

This is why I didn't take any of your hand wringing seriously. This is just personal for you and you are using it as an excuse for being mean.

Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:59 pm

After listening, think it was a piss poor impersonation of Elmer Fudd with a bit of an oriental tinge.

We've all said things spur-of-the-moment we sometimes wish we could take back.  But you can't in this new world of technology where pretty much everything is recorded.

Couple things in my past I'd like to take back.  Fortunately I'm not on social media so the damage is contained.  

Jack fucked up, minimally.  Sportscasters and analysts gotta feel like they're walking on eggshells now with anything they say in this new world of hyper snowflakes...where the slightest misstep will draw angry response.

Grew up in a neighborhood of English, French, Polish, German, Italian, etc.  We threw ethnic barbs at each other everyday.  My German best friend's brother made up Finnish jokes to fuck with me.  I'd throw some Hitler jokes back.  Was all in good fun.

This world has gotten too serious.  Many of the best comedians did stuff mocking other ethnicities/races/religions.  That's all gone now in this world of hyper sensitivity.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:29 pm

racists are alive and well. getting cover both from the mainstream media, sports analysts and message boards.

Certainly not shocking.. they've always been among us.. in fact, I appreciate that they now feel a safe haven in demonstrating what I've always known to be true.

We're now back at "some of my best friends are black"...
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:48 pm

At first I was like, meh. Not a bid deal. Then I remembered his past comments about latin players and the female reporter. So there's a history. Then I remembered someone (Stephen A maybe) who said Ohtani can never be the face of baseball because of the language barrier or something. I'd say it's more a case of media types, message board dopes with German friends, and good ole boy former players who are the biggest barrier to aguy like Ohtani ever being the face of baseball. Not Ohtani himself.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:11 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Jack Morris might need to take a breather from the Tigers’ broadcast booth after tonight’s gaffe 502811600

When you resort to name calling I win. I took the high road! cheers cheers
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:12 pm

kingstonlake wrote:At first I was like, meh. Not a bid deal. Then I remembered his past comments about latin players and the female reporter. So there's a history. Then I remembered someone (Stephen A maybe) who said Ohtani can never be the face of baseball because of the language barrier or something. I'd say it's more a case of media types, message board dopes with German friends, and good ole boy former players who are the biggest barrier to aguy like Ohtani ever being the face of baseball. Not Ohtani himself.
yep. 100% correct.

I don't need to be lectured on race relations and the advancement of equity and diversity in America by a racist.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:16 pm

kingstonlake wrote:At first I was like, meh. Not a bid deal. Then I remembered his past comments about latin players and the female reporter. So there's a history. Then I remembered someone (Stephen A maybe) who said Ohtani can never be the face of baseball because of the language barrier or something. I'd say it's more a case of media types, message board dopes with German friends, and good ole boy former players who are the biggest barrier to aguy like Ohtani ever being the face of baseball. Not Ohtani himself.

Bo Schembechler was a complete ass about the way he handled it as the face of the Tigers organization:

Jack's comment -
''I don`t talk to people when I`m naked, especially women, unless they`re on top of me or I`m on top of them.''

Bo's response...

Free Press publisher Neal Shine complained and Tigers team president Bo Schembechler wrote back that Morris` conduct was ''out of line'' but blamed

''your sports editor`s lack of common sense in sending a female college intern in a man`s clubhouse.''

''Rest assured,'' said Bo, ''no female member of my family would be inside a men`s locker room regardless of their job description.''

Bo knows football, but not public relations.

---------
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:13 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
yep. 100% correct.

I don't need to be lectured on race relations and the advancement of equity and diversity in America by a racist.

Your ass has been sucking wind since days on the old board.

You're a self righteous prima donna that should do more listening than speaking or posting. You're like one of the old pull-my-string toys and repeat the same 6-8 lines every time.

I find your approach to wanting things better more separatist than unifying. Your mind is closed by your own narrow thought tunnel. No one here, except maybe Bill Cain, is more focused on driving their personal agenda.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:50 am

Agin another person auto associating “better” with “unifying” as if that’s the end all be all
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:05 am

Yogi Berra once said about his yankee team: “we have no problem with unity on this team, but we just ain’t got pitching.”
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:19 am

The Pantry wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: yep. 100% correct.

Your ass has been sucking wind since days on the old board.

You're a self righteous prima donna that should do more listening than speaking or posting. You're like one of the old pull-my-string toys and repeat the same 6-8 lines every time.

I find your approach to wanting things better more separatist than unifying. Your mind is closed by your own narrow thought tunnel. No one here, except maybe Bill Cain, is more focused on driving their personal agenda.

What are you arguing here? That Bob is an asshole? Granted. But what hill are you fighting for?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:23 am

He repeats the same shit over and over. It's gotten beyond old.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next