Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never a good sign when your coach spouts graduation rates.

+5
Mentalstate
Gus Chiggins
Robert J Sakimano
Giant Moose
NigelUno
9 posters

Go down

Never a good sign when your coach spouts graduation rates. Empty Never a good sign when your coach spouts graduation rates.

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-29, 08:31

"Ohio State and Michigan determining a league champion between themselves, a huge part of the Big Ten’s rich history, is no longer on the table. But Wolverines coach Brady Hoke, already miffed about Notre Dame dropping its traditional game with U-M after this season, didn’t want to get drawn into another scheduling controversy.

Yes, he’s OK with the way the divisions were set up, “as long as those two great programs (OSU, Michigan) are still playing.”

Hoke has enough to worry about, like saving his job. New offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, plucked away from Alabama, should provide a lift to a program that has spent the last three years in reverse.

But it’s never a good sign when your coach stands in front of a media throng and defends his program by spouting graduation rates.

“Why do you coach? Why do you really coach?” Hoke said. “Since we’ve been (at Michigan), 69 of 69 seniors have graduated. That’s important.”

Probably not important enough to stay employed at Michigan if the Wolverines don’t win eight games and at least split on the road with MSU and OSU."

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/sports/college/football/2014/07/28/going-new-penn-state-coach-faces-challenges/13298545/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Never a good sign when your coach spouts graduation rates. Empty Re: Never a good sign when your coach spouts graduation rates.

Post by Giant Moose 2014-07-29, 08:33

So he's happy he let that scumbag Brendan Gibbons graduate?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Never a good sign when your coach spouts graduation rates. Empty Re: Never a good sign when your coach spouts graduation rates.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-29, 08:47

NigelUno wrote:"Ohio State and Michigan determining a league champion between themselves, a huge part of the Big Ten’s rich history, is no longer on the table. But Wolverines coach Brady Hoke, already miffed about Notre Dame dropping its traditional game with U-M after this season, didn’t want to get drawn into another scheduling controversy.

Yes, he’s OK with the way the divisions were set up, “as long as those two great programs (OSU, Michigan) are still playing.”

Hoke has enough to worry about, like saving his job. New offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, plucked away from Alabama, should provide a lift to a program that has spent the last three years in reverse.

But it’s never a good sign when your coach stands in front of a media throng and defends his program by spouting graduation rates.

“Why do you coach? Why do you really coach?” Hoke said. “Since we’ve been (at Michigan), 69 of 69 seniors have graduated. That’s important.”

Probably not important enough to stay employed at Michigan if the Wolverines don’t win eight games and at least split on the road with MSU and OSU."

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/sports/college/football/2014/07/28/going-new-penn-state-coach-faces-challenges/13298545/
this is a pure and unadulterated indictment on depths of the dumpster-like descents scUM student-athletes have plunged..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-29, 08:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
this is a pure and unadulterated indictment on depths of the dumpster-like descents scUM student-athletes have plunged..

I wouldn't go that far. But, I do find it a bit comical that he was given that narrative to read off in front of the media.

The stat seems a little misleading. 69 of 69 Seniors graduated? Well...they were seniors...I would think it wouldn't be hard to graduate at that point. What about the other kids he recruited that didn't become seniors? What are their stats?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-29, 09:01

NigelUno wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.  But, I do find it a bit comical that he was given that narrative to read off in front of the media.  

The stat seems a little misleading.  69 of 69 Seniors graduated?  Well...they were seniors...I would think it wouldn't be hard to graduate at that point.  What about the other kids he recruited that didn't become seniors?  What are their stats?
I'll tell you what their stats are.. suck to the infinite power.. that's their stats.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gus Chiggins 2014-07-29, 09:03

Unfortunately, they hired him to coach the football team, not be the head of academic support.
Gus Chiggins
Gus Chiggins
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-29, 10:58

Gus Chiggins wrote:Unfortunately, they hired him to coach the football team, not be the head of academic support.

I always get a chuckle out of stuff like that. I don't care. Kids are there to play football. If some of them take advantage of it and get a degree, good for them.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-07-29, 11:27

Exactly. People let the "69 of 69" quote slide without mentioning how many kids have left the program under him.

Although this does open it up for a new slogan: "Those few who stay will graduate."
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-29, 11:28

I just hope having a 100% graduation rate for our seniors is something we never have to take pride in..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-29, 11:37

I don't think your sarcasm was lost on anybody, Bob. So the elevation of intensity is probably unnecessary. Goodonya though, man. #thumbsup #highfive #wtfisgoingonhere
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-07-29, 11:37

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I just hope having a 100% graduation rate for our seniors is something we never have to take pride in..

Assuming we don't run off nearly a 1/3 of each class we graduate before they get the chance to become seniors....

Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-07-29, 11:39

Praise Jesus that Dantonio avoided giving out the denominator yesterday when he said "We've graduated I believe 122 or 121 players these last seven years, helping them launch their career, going on to become self-sufficient young people in this society."
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-07-29, 12:30

NigelUno wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.  But, I do find it a bit comical that he was given that narrative to read off in front of the media.  

The stat seems a little misleading.  69 of 69 Seniors graduated?  Well...they were seniors...I would think it wouldn't be hard to graduate at that point.  What about the other kids he recruited that didn't become seniors?  What are their stats?

Never a good sign when your coach spouts graduation rates. 4113017228 This will be his 4th season, so none of the kids he recruited were seniors until now.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-12-02, 20:58

Michigan State athletics graduation rates rise again

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/12/02/michigan-state-athletics-graduation-rate/8842669002/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and TrapperGus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down