Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winning Time on HBO. Anybody see it?

+3
tGreenWay
duffy munn
DWags
7 posters

Go down

Winning Time on HBO.  Anybody see it?   Empty Winning Time on HBO. Anybody see it?

Post by DWags 2022-03-07, 22:22

Looks like fun. I never read the book, and I'm certain there are way better explainations in it. For example him and Norm Nixon. Was Jerry West that crazy? He seemed the opposite of the guy who was playing him. But this t-shirt was cool as hell, the guy who wore it was playing Magic. (Also didn't know Magic's mom was. 7th day adventist. She hated when they used the term "Magic" about her son. Dr. Buss was nuts.

Damn, I want one.

Winning Time on HBO.  Anybody see it?   Fnp2im10

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Winning Time on HBO.  Anybody see it?   Empty Re: Winning Time on HBO. Anybody see it?

Post by duffy munn 2022-03-07, 22:32

I watched and thought it was well done. And yeah they portray Buss as kinda nuts and West as a complete asshole. Should be interesting going forward.

Does anyone know if Magic signed off on this? I would think it's difficult for Cookie.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Winning Time on HBO.  Anybody see it?   Empty Re: Winning Time on HBO. Anybody see it?

Post by tGreenWay 2022-03-07, 22:40

DWags wrote:Looks like fun. I never read the book, and I'm certain there are way better explainations in it. For example him and Norm Nixon. Was Jerry West that crazy? He seemed the opposite of the guy who was playing him. But this t-shirt was cool as hell, the guy who wore it was playing Magic. (Also didn't know Magic's mom was. 7th day adventist. She hated when they used the term "Magic" about her son. Dr. Buss was nuts.

Damn, I want one.

If anybody wants to print that shirt, I’d buy a couple.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-03-07, 22:46

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:Looks like fun. I never read the book, and I'm certain there are way better explainations in it. For example him and Norm Nixon. Was Jerry West that crazy? He seemed the opposite of the guy who was playing him. But this t-shirt was cool as hell, the guy who wore it was playing Magic. (Also didn't know Magic's mom was. 7th day adventist. She hated when they used the term "Magic" about her son. Dr. Buss was nuts.

Damn, I want one.

What about the Covair behind Magic in the parking lot?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-03-07, 22:48

duffy munn wrote:I watched and thought it was well done. And yeah they portray Buss as kinda nuts and West as a complete asshole. Should be interesting going forward.

Does anyone know if Magic signed off on this? I would think it's difficult for Cookie.

No. He did not.

Pretty sure Norm Nixon was an advisor of some sort. His kid plays him.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-03-07, 22:57

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:I watched and thought it was well done. And yeah they portray Buss as kinda nuts and West as a complete asshole. Should be interesting going forward.

Does anyone know if Magic signed off on this? I would think it's difficult  for Cookie.

No.  He did not.  

Pretty sure Norm Nixon was an advisor of some sort.  His kid plays him.  

I went down a worm hole of articles last night. Read till I was blurry eyed.  Nixon by many players accounts was very jealous of magic. They tolerated each other. Nixon had a huge ego.  Seems west got tired of him too. Actually hired private eyes to follow him around and try to bust him with coke. While he hung out  with drug dealers he was never caught dirty.

Couple guys say they realized how powerful magic became when, after Westhead wanted the lakers to run more half court sets Magic picked up the phone and called  Buss and said he needs to go or magic would. Basically taking the offense out of Kareem’s hands.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-03-07, 23:00

Magics first contract from what I could find was 450K per. He wanted it’s 600 K. I saw one article that said he got 550k
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-03-07, 23:50

DWags wrote:Magics first contract from what I could find was 450K per. He wanted it’s 600 K. I saw one article that said he got 550k

Interesting that "DR" Charles Tucker was not featured in the first episode.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-03-07, 23:56

DWags wrote:Magics first contract from what I could find was 450K per.  He wanted  it’s 600 K. I saw one article that said he got 550k

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

No.  He did not.  

Pretty sure Norm Nixon was an advisor of some sort.  His kid plays him.  

I went down a worm hole of articles last night. Read till I was blurry eyed.  Nixon by many players accounts was very jealous of magic. They tolerated each other. Nixon had a huge ego.  Seems west got tired of him too. Actually hired private eyes to follow him around and try to bust him with coke. While he hung out  with drug dealers he was never caught dirty.

Couple guys say they realized how powerful magic became when, after Westhead wanted the lakers to run more half court sets Magic picked up the phone and called  Buss and said he needs to go or magic would. Basically taking the offense out of Kareem’s hands.

Must have been pretty shitty private eye if they couldn't catch a NBA player doing coke in LA in the 80's
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-03-08, 08:03

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:Magics first contract from what I could find was 450K per. He wanted it’s 600 K. I saw one article that said he got 550k

The series is embellishing/fictionalizing some things to make better HBO.

HBO fish dinner: Magic, Earvin Sr., Buss, and Cooke

The Book fish dinner: Magic, Earvin Sr., Tucker, George Andrews, Cooke, Chick Hearn
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-03-08, 08:19

Damn, I want one.

Interesting, she probably appreciated that Jud always called him Earvin, even after years of "Magic" being a household name.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel 2022-03-08, 10:19

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

What about the Covair behind Magic in the parking lot?

Not a Corvair. It's a Dodge Dart. Probably a 1964.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-19, 22:25

Jerry West demands retraction, apology over portrayal in HBO series 'Winning Time'

Good Luck with that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2022-04-19, 23:00

I just got a virus alert when trying to look at the picture you’re referencing. I think it was just a phishing attempt but still. Anybody else get that?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down