Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best thing to eat in all 50 states. And no, it’s not Cherries here.

+12
Trapper Gus
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
AvgMSUJoe
Cameron
The Pantry
Dendrobates
tGreenWay
Rick Saunders
NigelUno
Turtleneck
DWags
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best thing to eat in all 50 states. And no, it’s not Cherries here.  Empty Best thing to eat in all 50 states. And no, it’s not Cherries here.

Post by DWags 2023-03-10, 11:35

Florida guys, really? I’ve always enjoyed good seafood. Prawns.

[tw]1633256684985495555?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Best thing to eat in all 50 states. And no, it’s not Cherries here.  Empty Re: Best thing to eat in all 50 states. And no, it’s not Cherries here.

Post by Turtleneck 2023-03-10, 11:58

I think they have Florida wrong unless bath salts are not considered something you eat.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Best thing to eat in all 50 states. And no, it’s not Cherries here.  Empty Re: Best thing to eat in all 50 states. And no, it’s not Cherries here.

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-10, 12:29

The best thing you can eat in NM is hot sauce.

And Nevada is All You Can Eat Buffets.

NC is a donut.

That list is terrible. We need to make our own list.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-03-10, 12:48

I would like to see a fight between Michigan's pro-pasty and pro-coney groups.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-03-10, 13:24

Turtleneck wrote:I would like to see a fight between Michigan's pro-pasty and pro-coney groups.

You’re leaving out the Apple/cherry thugs.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-03-10, 13:31

Out of all 50 of those things what's the best thing?
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-03-10, 13:32

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I would like to see a fight between Michigan's pro-pasty and pro-coney groups.

You’re leaving out the Apple/cherry thugs.

We have a lot of food scores to settle in Michigan.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-03-10, 14:30

Turtleneck wrote:

Milk and Honey vs House of Flavors

I'm sorry you've never had those, Bob.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-10, 14:34

I don’t remember her name but she went to Hope College.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-03-10, 14:40

tGreenWay wrote:I don’t remember her name but she went to Hope College.

That was Melissa DeKruyger.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-03-10, 14:43

Turtleneck wrote:

Melissa DeKruyger (Hope) vs Stacey Van der Zee (Calvin)

Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-10, 14:56

Rick Saunders wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I don’t remember her name but she went to Hope College.

That was Melissa DeKruyger.

Melissa vs Stacey is an interesting competition measured not by sales but by popular vote.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2023-03-10, 15:11

I have heard of rocky mountain oysters, but I didn't think it was considered a best thing in a state. Shocked
I thought it was more of a joke and that random hillbillies ate it.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2023-03-10, 15:47

Dendrobates wrote:I have heard of rocky mountain oysters, but I didn't think it was considered a best thing in a state. Shocked

Started out as a joke but eventually determined that this way was better than the way they had. Either way though let's just hope the pasties have a little more gravy and the skylines don't make so many three-ways in the second half.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-03-10, 15:59

Another list.  Pasty wins again!  Michigan coneys are good but you can get a hot dog with stuff on it in any state.

The person quoted in the article is dead wrong though.  Except for black pepper, there are no other spices in a proper pasty...just salt and pepper.  It's probably the flavor of the rutabaga that got her confused.

Around the US in 50 Dishes: The Best Things to Eat in Every State
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-03-10, 16:13

Recently had a pizza pasty. I know that's not a real pasty to purists, but I was more or less wanting and expecting a calzone. Menu description mentioned pepperoni, mozzarella, the usual pizza/calzone type of stuff.

Ended up being a (small) pasty crust/shell filled with vaguely pizza flavored goo inside. Worst pasty or calzone I've ever had. Lukewarm totino's pizza rolls would have been an upgrade. Dobbers in Escanaba. Maybe their traditional stuff is better, but the pizza pasty is a fucking disgrace.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-10, 16:42

So how about listing here what Michigan offers as its own:
Pasty
Detroit Deep Dish
Fudge (Kilwin’s, of course, even though it just got sold)
Whitefish on a Maple Plank with mashed potatoes
Melting Moments Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich

Tossed that last one in just to lengthen the list. The problem with adding apples and cherries is WA state grows and sells more of both.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-03-10, 16:45

Cider Doughnuts
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-03-10, 16:53

Cameron wrote:Recently had a pizza pasty. I know that's not a real pasty to purists, but I was more or less wanting and expecting a calzone. Menu description mentioned pepperoni, mozzarella, the usual pizza/calzone type of stuff.

Ended up being a (small) pasty crust/shell filled with vaguely pizza flavored goo inside. Worst pasty or calzone I've ever had. Lukewarm totino's pizza rolls would have been an upgrade. Dobbers in Escanaba. Maybe their traditional stuff is better, but the pizza pasty is a fucking disgrace.
Never tried Dobbers...likely never will. Pasty places that go off into other stuff are not what I want.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-03-10, 17:30

Florida should be stone crab. The blood from your fingers just adds to the taste.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-03-10, 17:35

I had a descent Seafood platter in Florida once. Wasn't great, but how bad can you fuck up scallops?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-03-10, 17:51

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I had a descent Seafood platter in Florida once. Wasn't great, but how bad can you fuck up scallops?
Kinda easy. You can either sear them fast or braise them slowly. Anything in between is rubber.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-10, 18:04

Tennessee is what now instead of hot chicken
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-10, 18:06

Dendrobates wrote:I have heard of rocky mountain oysters, but I didn't think it was considered a best thing in a state. Shocked

I mean they put pasties for Michigan so they’re definitely not saying the best thing you can eat in that state.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-10, 18:10

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I mean they put pasties for Michigan so they’re definitely not saying the best thing you can eat in that state.

I'm having trouble associating any particular food with any given state.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-03-10, 18:56

Stupid mobile

Last edited by AvgMSUJoe on 2023-03-10, 18:57; edited 1 time in total
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-03-10, 18:56

Trapper Gus wrote:I'm having trouble associating any particular food with any given state.
Rhode Island and assorted clams and fresh seafoods. That's probably my youth speaking.

Maine and lobster.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-03-10, 20:04

Trapper Gus wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I always associate Spam with Hawaii, Crawfish with Louisiana, Shoofly Pie, Scrapple and Cheesesteak with Pennsylvania.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-10, 20:44

MSU addict wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I always associate Spam with Hawaii, Crawfish with Louisiana, Shoofly Pie, Scrapple and Cheesesteak with Pennsylvania.

Best thing to eat in all 50 states. And no, it’s not Cherries here.  969504605
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-03-10, 21:29

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I had a descent Seafood platter in Florida once. Wasn't great, but how bad can you fuck up scallops?

You can't because they are tasteless.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-10, 21:52

When they actually substitute scallops with shark and a lot of people don’t know the difference. Or you get real scallops and then use catchup.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-10, 21:54

South Dakota should be roadkill antelope. Or brontosaurus ribs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-03-10, 22:00

Nordic wrote:

Right, something for butter to cling to.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-10, 22:09

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:I'm having trouble associating any particular food with any given state.
Rhode Island and assorted clams and fresh seafoods. That's probably my youth speaking.

Maine and lobster.

Yup, Little Rhodey has to be Quahogs with a ‘Gansett or Del’s for the little ones.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-03-11, 00:52

Nordic wrote:

I wouldn't say that. I find them quite good. Also found them very entertaining. If my ex ate anything even cooked near scallops she'd be barfing into the next day.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-03-11, 06:19

DWags wrote:Florida guys, really? I’ve always enjoyed good seafood. Prawns.

[tw]1633256684985495555?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
Key lime pie is amazing. And seafood isn't really unique. I guarantee Cubans are pissed off that they didn't put a Cuban sandwich. Key lime pie is MUCH better, but Cubans tend to get pissed off whenever something Cuban isn't listed as the dominant everything about Florida.

For Illinois, they list Chicago Deep Dish pizza, which is a good pick....but then show a picture of a regular slice of pizza.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-03-11, 07:24

I don't think I've ever had a good key lime pie. It's always like jello and whipped cream... I suppose I could see it being good.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-11, 07:56

MSU addict wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Spam was created in Minnesota?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-11, 11:10

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I don't think I've ever had a good key lime pie. It's always like jello and whipped cream... I suppose I could see it being good.

If you’ve never had a good key lime pie… how would you know?

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-11, 11:11

Trapper Gus wrote:
MSU addict wrote:I always associate Spam with Hawaii, Crawfish with Louisiana, Shoofly Pie, Scrapple and Cheesesteak with Pennsylvania.

Spam was created in Minnesota?

Hormel. Austin, MN, aka BFE. Highly recommend the Spam Museum.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next