Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Democracy v Authoritarianism - Is Biden More Correct Than He Is Given Credit For?

+4
sεяεηιτλ
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
Trapper Gus
8 posters

Go down

Article Democracy v Authoritarianism - Is Biden More Correct Than He Is Given Credit For?

Post by Trapper Gus Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:49 am

Here is an article back from 2015 about how the population of the US is politically splitting into people who psychologically feel happier in an authoritarian society and those who are happier is a democracy.

It is noted that "..... a psychological profile of individual voters that is characterized by a desire for order and a fear of outsiders. People who score high in authoritarianism, when they feel threatened, look for strong leaders who promise to take whatever action necessary to protect them from outsiders and prevent the changes they fear."

It is then shown that this type of individual is drawn to leaders like Trump.

Are we seeing the splitting of the US population into a group that supports the current form of government & one that does not, and that group has always been there but until Trump the "leaders" of the country tried to support democracy but now they see the political power of not doing that?

I would personally suggest that corporate leaders are more in tune with authoritarianism as that is the form of most corporations, thus their support of an authoritarian party should be no surprise, and also a number of people who work in corporations and are accustomed to that style of leadership are more susceptible to in politically.

I also don't see a real solution other than do what Biden is trying to do.  Make it an issue and ask the population which government they want.

https://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

Yes I know it's on the wrong board and I have asked for it to be moved. Thank you
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Democracy v Authoritarianism - Is Biden More Correct Than He Is Given Credit For?

Post by Cameron Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:07 am

Could have potentially been an interesting topic for discussion if it was framed as anything other than "doesn't Biden deserve more credit for being perfect and already doing or having done literally everything he possibly could?"
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Democracy v Authoritarianism - Is Biden More Correct Than He Is Given Credit For?

Post by Trapper Gus Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:13 am

Cameron wrote:Could have potentially been an interesting topic for discussion if it was framed as anything other than "doesn't Biden deserve more credit for being perfect and already doing or having done literally everything he possibly could?"

IMO you really are triggered by anyone saying anything that is not 100% negative about Biden.

I asked a question, which you could just answer, but no, you have to diss Biden, or me, without answering the question.

As it is, Biden has been saying that the election is about saving democracy, so I thought I was framing this correctly.

Is this election about saving democracy due to the sudden energizing of authoritarian tendencies in part of the population.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:19 am

I think what he’s saying is that this literally has nothing to do with Daddy so you don’t need to be talking about him.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:24 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I think what he’s saying is that this literally has nothing to do with Daddy so you don’t need to be talking about him.

Well other than he has made it one of the major issues of his campaign, you mean.  (I also feel that many people are discounting this idea)

Years of political posting has taught me that to get people interested there has to be a bit of an edge to any thread.  

Even if I hadn't put his name in the headline anyone aware of the campaigns would have seen his name there.

BTW I am not convinced that the research it completely correct, as I see the possibility that the researchers are either biasing the survey questions or that their assumptions about people are too simplistic.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:29 am

It would be a lot more fun to talk about this without the daddy framing. 

Alas, we are incapable of thinking about anything with thinking about how it impacts our perfect Catholic hero.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:45 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It would be a lot more fun to talk about this without the daddy framing. 

Alas, we are incapable of thinking about anything with thinking about how it impacts our perfect Catholic hero.

I find the framing od Biden as "our perfect Catholic hero" to be highly prejudicial, in a negative sense, given the sarcasm.

No one is anywhere near perfect, and there are plenty of other posters to point out his flaws.

You are all "big boys" quite capable of ignoring the "daddy framing" as you chose to call it and focusing on the meat of the question, aka the question of the split in the population on these measurements and what it means.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:38 am

I'm not even particularly perturbed by mentioning Biden in the body of your post, I would expect nothing less. But appending "Is Biden More Correct Than He Is Given Credit For?" to the end of the thread title is rather excessive and centers Genocide Joe in the conversation in a way that I find unwarranted and distracting. Makes it seem like your goal with the thread is not thoughtful analysis of the actual subject matter, but rather a thinly veiled excuse to fellate your fella in public.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:18 pm

Cameron wrote:I'm not even particularly perturbed by mentioning Biden in the body of your post, I would expect nothing less. But appending "Is Biden More Correct Than He Is Given Credit For?" to the end of the thread title is rather excessive and centers Genocide Joe in the conversation in a way that I find unwarranted and distracting. Makes it seem like your goal with the thread is not thoughtful analysis of the actual subject matter, but rather a thinly veiled excuse to fellate your fella in public.

You constantly frame every biden mention under the "genocide joe" lens.  You are exactly what you hate, it appears
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:19 am

Netanyahu’s Gaza gambit is working out perfectly to make things as difficult as he can for Biden’s re-election in Nov 2024.

Netanyahu wanted Trump re-elected in 2020. He has enjoyed having an ally who shared many of the same US mega donors.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and sεяεηιτλ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:46 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

As it is, Biden has been saying that the election is about saving democracy, so I thought I was framing this correctly.

Paradoxical position given that the Democrat Party actively kept party competitors out of the primaries and now is actively trying to put their political opponent in jail.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:00 am

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Paradoxical position given that the Democrat Party actively kept party competitors out of the primaries and now is actively trying to put their political opponent in jail.

Your brain truly is mush as there were competitors in the Democratic primaries.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:01 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

Not viable ones.   They kept RFK, Jr out.

Last edited by Zurn on Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:03 am

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

And you don't know how to navigate the quote function on this board on your phone, typical.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:09 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Zurn wrote:

There weren’t real competitors trapped come on man let it go. There wasn’t a real challenge and it’s really honestly embarrassing to pretend otherwise
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:54 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

There weren’t real competitors trapped come on man let it go. There wasn’t a real challenge and it’s really honestly embarrassing to pretend otherwise

They were on the  ballots and people could vote from them, seems real.

It is pretty much a given, ever since Ford v Reagan.  Carter v Kennendy & GHW Bush v Bucanan that it isn't polite nor wise if you want your party to remain in power to run against a incumbent so people bitching about this are sort of bitching about giving the Democratic Party the best chance at retaining the Presidency.

Clinton, GW Bush & Obama didn't have "real" opposition, by those standards either.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:17 am

No one is saying they did

People bitching about it have always been saying that Biden should get out of the way, ie not run, so that other people can step up because literally anyone else would beat Trump easily. They have not been saying that other people should run against Biden in a contested primary where we end up with even more damaged Biden anyway.

But it’s too late for any of that so I don’t even know why you want to bother discussing this
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:22 am

without reading the thread because I can predict what corner people run to and start shouting about, I'd say that history (and not the mainstream media, religious, political version) will look very favorably on the Biden Administration relative to the precipice of financial collapse, disease and fascism America was dangling from in January of 2020.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:57 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:No one is saying they did

People bitching about it have always been saying that Biden should get out of the way, ie not run, so that other people can step up because literally anyone else would beat Trump easily. They have not been saying that other people should run against Biden in a contested primary where we end up with even more damaged Biden anyway.

But it’s too late for any of that so I don’t even know why you want to bother discussing this

With Zurn? Pure entertainment.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:06 pm

I have a feeling that Authoritarianism tends to be preferred by those with lower cognitive skills and emotional intelligence.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

sεяεηιτλ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:27 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:I have a feeling that Authoritarianism tends to be preferred by those with lower cognitive skills and emotional intelligence.  

After reading the linked article my takeaway was that the research was partly reaching beyond what is happening, as to believe that most of the Trump voters are looking for a strong man leader is questionable.

Trump supporters have policies in which they agree with Trump's actions.  Abortion being one, taxes another, and social issues a third.  I don't feel that they agree with the project 2025 remaking of the US government which most people are at best only slightly aware of.... the sliver of people supporting that are people who expect to gain bunches of power through it, which are not the majority of "Republican" voters, who, IMO are still pretty much all in on Democracy & Fair Elections, as deluded as they may be about how elections are administered.

Biden may be correct that if these yahoos gain power they will do their best to destroy democracy, however.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:56 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:I have a feeling that Authoritarianism tends to be preferred by those with lower cognitive skills and emotional intelligence.

That is generally true. But it can also be preferred by a lot of smart selfish people that are well positioned to take advantage of what authoritarianism brings - corruption etc.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down