Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should the team be working on against Wyoming?

+9
Rodeo Burger
Dendrobates
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
Heat Miser
Ass Dan
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
InTenSity
13 posters

Go down

What should the team be working on against Wyoming? Empty What should the team be working on against Wyoming?

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-24, 09:08

Last weeks scrimmage was pretty boring and I'm not sure if how they played translated to anything at all.

What things should I try to keep an eye on that the team needs to work on? O-line and running? If the secondary is getting beat again? If we beat Wyoming by a score of 55-14 does that suddenly make us better then Oregon? Can we learn anything this week? 

Are there other interesting matchups this week?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What should the team be working on against Wyoming? Empty Re: What should the team be working on against Wyoming?

Post by DWags 2014-09-24, 09:12

InTenSity wrote:Last weeks scrimmage was pretty boring and I'm not sure if how they played translated to anything at all.

What things should I try to keep an eye on that the team needs to work on? O-line and running? If the secondary is getting beat again? If we beat Wyoming by a score of 55-14 does that suddenly make us better then Oregon? Can we learn anything this week? 

Are there other interesting matchups this week?

I'm way more interested in our back 7 on defense than our offense at this point. (my how one year can change things). If Kruse is back or gets a couple of series in, I'm even less concerned with the offense and it's been another week with Langfords ankle getting better.

I'd still like to see how our DB's are reacting to any cross or "pick" plays. Remember, the defense is playing receivers knowing that there are a couple of passes that can beat them, but those passes are damn hard to complete. Against Oregon, it was a break down twice by our DB's. Against Eastern, it appears our LB screwed up. I'd definitely watch the back 7. It's what I will be doing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What should the team be working on against Wyoming? Empty Re: What should the team be working on against Wyoming?

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-24, 09:17

Thanks Dwags. Is the issue this year the communication? That the last couple of years the players knew each other well enough and were able to communicate well enough to make the plays that needed to be made? From what I hear, physically, a lot of the guys are better athletes, but there is a breakdown somewhere. Is this something you expect to improve as the season goes on? How much of this is also because Ezra Robinson transferred?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-24, 09:19

InTenSity wrote:Thanks Dwags. Is the issue this year the communication? That the last couple of years the players knew each other well enough and were able to communicate well enough to make the plays that needed to be made? From what I hear, physically, a lot of the guys are better athletes, but there is a breakdown somewhere. Is this something you expect to improve as the season goes on? How much of this is also because Ezra Robinson transferred?
we're Better Than Ezra..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-09-24, 09:26

InTenSity wrote:Thanks Dwags. Is the issue this year the communication? That the last couple of years the players knew each other well enough and were able to communicate well enough to make the plays that needed to be made? From what I hear, physically, a lot of the guys are better athletes, but there is a breakdown somewhere. Is this something you expect to improve as the season goes on? How much of this is also because Ezra Robinson transferred?

Did you see enough of that kid to even know what he'd do? What di she get fumble recovery against youngstown? I think the underage drinking thing put him in a position to have to really prove himself to Dantonio. Who knows. As far as do I expect communication problems to get better, yes I do. The real issue is who is the voice out there? We lost not one but two quarterbacks out there from last year. I have no proof it will get better, but if these guys are film room junkies like it appears they are, it will always get better. Here's hoping. By the way, I think, and this is terrible, that last weeks breakdowns might have been from boredom. I know, stupid as that sounds.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-24, 09:31

DWags wrote:

Did you see enough of that kid to even know what he'd do?  What di she get fumble recovery against youngstown?  I think the underage drinking thing put him in a position to have to really prove himself to Dantonio.   Who knows. As far as do I expect communication problems to get better, yes I do.  The real issue is who is the voice out there?  We lost not one but two quarterbacks out there from last year.   I have no proof it will get better, but if these guys are film room junkies like it appears they are, it will always get better.  Here's hoping.  By the way,  I think, and this is terrible, that last weeks breakdowns might have been from boredom.   I know, stupid as that sounds.  
I just think that a late transfer that hits part of the depth chart can hurt that unit, I don't really know anything about the kid. I didn't even know he had an MIP, but if that is the case, why is Kings still on the team? Actually I don't really want to get into that debate. 

Is the offense really that good? I thought there were some question marks with the running game, and they really need a balanced attack for the offense to work, don't they? Will Langford look like he did last year? I really hate these type of games and hope for at least some tiny bit of competitiveness from pre conference games.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-09-24, 09:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:we're Better Than Ezra..

You're late to the party here, my man
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-24, 09:45

Ass Dan wrote:

You're late to the party here, my man
story of my life, brah.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-09-24, 09:47

InTenSity wrote:
I just think that a late transfer that hits part of the depth chart can hurt that unit, I don't really know anything about the kid. I didn't even know he had an MIP, but if that is the case, why is Kings still on the team? Actually I don't really want to get into that debate. 

Is the offense really that good? I thought there were some question marks with the running game, and they really need a balanced attack for the offense to work, don't they? Will Langford look like he did last year? I really hate these type of games and hope for at least some tiny bit of competitiveness from pre conference games.

No doubt it hurts. As far as the the DUI goes, I think it depends on what you've done up to that point. Getting one when he was a freshman might be red flags, but who knows. I do think our offense will be fine. I'd watch Langford now. See if he's running with more authority. My guess is that the ankle really bothered him against Oregon and that with some new guys on the line, and Kruse out does hurt. My suspicion is that we get better there. Cook is great and I hope plays at least three quarters regardless of score this weekend.

I'm still more interested in our back 7. Also remember we have some coaches including Dantonio that know a bit about coaching those kids up back there. They'll get better.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-24, 09:52

Ok, I have a question a little off topic. What is the difference between the front 7 and the back 7? The LB's are included in both, I'm assuming. Is it an easy way of saying that our run D is better than our pass D? I thought if the D-line was disruptive or getting to the QB faster it was supposed to help out the secondary because of pressure put on the QB. I'm trying to learn these things.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-09-24, 09:56

InTenSity wrote:Ok, I have a question a little off topic. What is the difference between the front 7 and the back 7? The LB's are included in both, I'm assuming. Is it an easy way of saying that our run D is better than our pass D? I thought if the D-line was disruptive or getting to the QB faster it was supposed to help out the secondary because of pressure put on the QB. I'm trying to learn these things.

Yep, the LB's are counted in both. Just to throw a wrench in, you can count Narduzzi's as a "Front 9" and back 7. tongue He uses his safeties as much as anyone in stopping the run. I don't know that our run defense is better than our pass defense. We played Oregon so far. We're 0-1 on the season in my opinion and we just don't know enough about anything yet. No way can we really tell what's up till we hit the big ten.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-24, 09:57

InTenSity wrote:Ok, I have a question a little off topic. What is the difference between the front 7 and the back 7? The LB's are included in both, I'm assuming. Is it an easy way of saying that our run D is better than our pass D? I thought if the D-line was disruptive or getting to the QB faster it was supposed to help out the secondary because of pressure put on the QB. I'm trying to learn these things.
I think we should be working on this against Wyoming.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-09-24, 10:05

1. Secure the win
2. Avoid injuries
3. Work on Run O & Pass D
4. Get the young guys PT
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-09-24, 10:15

Scoring more than 48 and giving up less than 14.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-09-24, 10:53

ghost? Any comments?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-09-24, 16:45

Heat Miser wrote:1. Secure the win
2. Avoid injuries
3. Work on Run O & Pass D
4. Get the young guys PT

I agree with this. I just hope our starters will have enough experience going into the big10, since they are playing less with these blowouts. I'm glad to get our 2nd, 3rd, 4th string playing time, I just hope our starters will be ready for the big games. I'm sure Dantonio will keep them on their A game though.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-24, 16:51

I agree with this. I just hope our starters will have enough experience going into the big10, since they are playing less with these blowouts. I'm glad to get our 2nd, 3rd, 4th string playing time, I just hope our starters will be ready for the big games. I'm sure Dantonio will keep them on their A game though.
The good thing about playing the 2nd and 3rd string players, is that they aren't completely green when going on the field to fill in for an injured starter, or just getting some playing time. Its also good for morale (I would think) that some of the scout players, who put in just as much time and effort, get a chance to see the field at least once and say they played in a college game. I think the offensive starters will be ready. I think they are still working out the LB's and some of the secondary.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-09-24, 17:05

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy sir.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-09-24, 17:39

InTenSity wrote:
The good thing about playing the 2nd and 3rd string players, is that they aren't completely green when going on the field to fill in for an injured starter, or just getting some playing time. Its also good for morale (I would think) that some of the scout players, who put in just as much time and effort, get a chance to see the field at least once and say they played in a college game. I think the offensive starters will be ready. I think they are still working out the LB's and some of the secondary.

Very true. I think I'm just a little nervous because this is really the first time in a long time we've been able to play our 2nd/3rd string players this much. I guess it's a good "problem" to have!
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2014-09-24, 18:58

Hold them to under 17 and no big pass plays. Anytbing more is a fail.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-09-25, 11:42

If the game were played in Wyoming, I'd say one of these..........What should the team be working on against Wyoming? Th?&id=HN.607986808993746000&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1 but since it isn't, getting the back 7 better organized and MIKE's communication. Anytime the younger players can get on the field only makes for greater depth strength
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-09-25, 12:54

75alum wrote:If the game were played in Wyoming, I'd say one of these..........What should the team be working on against Wyoming? Th?&id=HN.607986808993746000&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1 but since it isn't, getting the back 7 better organized and MIKE's communication. Anytime the younger players can get on the field only makes for greater depth strength

Nobody has those here... Everybody has the brush kind.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-28, 20:34

Did the team do what everybody wanted them to do in this game?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down