Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

opinions on chiropractors?

+15
Dendrobates
Rodeo Burger
Gomer
ancientspartan
Townie
Nommad2
The Pantry
Ass Dan
Turtleneck
Izzo Court
Code_Warrior
75alum
Snake Plissken
DWags
Rocinante
19 posters

Go down

opinions on chiropractors? Empty opinions on chiropractors?

Post by Rocinante Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 17:51

What do y'all think of them? Have been to two sessions, not completely positive it's doing anything.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

opinions on chiropractors? Empty Re: opinions on chiropractors?

Post by DWags Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 17:54

Get traction, take the pain medicine. Leave the Hokus
Pokes for others.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 18:02

Calling Admiral Spinebender
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 18:09

Chiros can make adjustments but it doesn't sustain so the patient gets into the monthly visit plan. To me that's like a mechanic that cannot fix the car but can get it running temporarily and you need to keep taking it back. I had a slipped disc in my lower back causing siatic pain. Went to a Chiro against my better judgement and could barely walk when I left. Eventually had surgery.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 20:01

I use a chiropractor to fix my back when it goes out. In my case, I don't have any sort of damage, it's more like my spine gets out of alignment and the Chiro can get it back in. I might have to go once or twice every couple of years. While it works for me and my simple issue, Chiros don't really offer permanent fixes to real medical issues, only temporary relief.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 20:21

Chiropractors are like dentists. Some are in business to just find a bunch of shit that doesn't need to be done and see how high they can rack up the bill. Others are good people that just want to help their patients. Sadly I have a good chiropractor that I go to when things hurt, but can't find a dentist that isn't a crook.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 20:24

Rocinante wrote:What do y'all think of them? Have been to two sessions, not completely positive it's doing anything.

Rub some dirt on it.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 20:31

Guys who went to med school for a semester but deep down always wanted to crack necks like Steven Segal. Chiros are wild cards.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 22:56

Have had kind of a good, bad, ugly experience with chiropractic care.

The Good:
In my early 30's I got a sinus infection after never having one before. Went to my doctor, got a script for antibiotics, and everything was good after about a week. 3-4 months later I got another sinus infection. Went and got more antibiotics...knocked it out again. Repeated the cycle of infection and antibiotics at about 3-4 months two more times. My doctor had no solution to the repeated infections beyond changing the antibiotic.

My wife started seeing a chiropractor for lower back pain after the birth of our second child. When my next sinus infection occurred I was tired of the infection/antibiotic roller coaster and went to see him. He spent some time and educated me in layman's terms about the nerve and skeletal systems...made sense. Spinal/neck adjustments over the following week worked and the infection went away without antibiotics.

Had only one sinus infection since, about 5 years after starting chiropractic care...it cleared up without antibiotics. Haven't had a sinus infection since.

The Bad:
Despite no injury I started losing range of movement and pain in my left shoulder around 36 years old and it continued to get worse for the next year and a half. It got to the point that I couldn't raise my arm more than 75º from my side without pain. Visited my chiropractor weekly the entire time. He performed abrupt shoulder adjustments...most painful thing I have ever experienced. I remember seeing stars afterward while yelling obscenities at him.

Long story but I ended up meeting an old naturopathic doctor that was also an iridologist. Had just met this guy when my wife (ex) asked him to look into my eyes. After less than a minute he put his hand on my left shoulder and said, "You are having a problem here." Completely blew my mind and could tell from my wife's expression that she was equally shocked.

Asked him what the problem might be and he said it could be a tumor of a non-malignant variety. He advised me to stop using antiperspirants. Stopped using them the next day. My shoulder was back to normal about 4 months later. My chiropractor allowed some credibility to stopping the antiperspirants but continued to think his ****ing adjustments were making the difference.

The Ugly:
Went to my chiropractor regularly for 15 years. Was highly active into my early 40's. Did the Body for Life workout regimen using my own nutritional ideals instead of the BFL supplements. I was in awesome shape. Played wallyball once a week with a bunch of old friends...highly competitive bunch of ole farts, all in pretty good shape.

One night at wallyball scared the shit out of me. After about an hour of playing I went into what I can only describe as vertigo...dizziness and loss of balance. Only lasted maybe 30 seconds. Walked off the court and drove home with no problem.

Brought the issue up with my chiropractor. He said it was probably a temporary inner ear thing and not to worry about it. Within the next two months I experienced the same vertigo sensation, almost immediately after leaving his office after an adjustment. One time was just backing out of a parking space where his office is located. The next was after driving a short distance from his office to my subdivision entrance. Both times involved turning my head more than 90º immediately after a neck adjustment.

Did research and found some articles related to what I had experienced. Emailed him the links and asked him to call me.

crickets

Fuck that asshole.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 9:22

They can be good for smaller fixes (pinched nerve, mild back pain, headaches). But if they try to get you on a weekly treatment plan, I'd be wary. If it's something that can't be fixed in 1 or 2 visits, it's probably something serious or chronic that may require a bigger fix, like physical therapy.
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Townie Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 9:27

Don't let them manipulate your neck.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/update-chiropractic-neck-manipulation-and-stroke/
Townie
Townie
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 10:42

Thanks guys. I'm kind of in the same boat as most of you. I feel like there's a limited amount of stuff he can do for me. He doesn't go at my neck like I want him to. He did my back good though. I think I'm through for a while. We'll see how I feel next week.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 10:54

Rocinante wrote:Thanks guys. I'm kind of in the same boat as most of you. I feel like there's a limited amount of stuff he can do for me. He doesn't go at my neck like I want him to. He did my back good though. I think I'm through for a while. We'll see how I feel next week.

Dirt. Rub it. On it. Not hard, bro.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 10:55

Turtleneck wrote:

Dirt. Rub it. On it. Not hard, bro.

I have trouble reaching that spot, or I would. You know how it is.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

opinions on chiropractors? Empty I have a great DC...

Post by ancientspartan Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 17:30

...but would never post her name here because of all the idiots around the board....but this DC is quite different from most....not into the repeat visit thing unless you think you need it; doesn't use xrays; adjustments are far different than the typical. PM me should you want her name...Lansing area.
ancientspartan
ancientspartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 20:50

Townie wrote:Don't let them manipulate your neck.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/update-chiropractic-neck-manipulation-and-stroke/
I believe this. Sent my chiropractor links similar to that one maybe 10 years ago after experiencing vertigo. He never replied so I stopped going there.

He was a likable guy but kinda cocky. Had back surgery when he was in his teens and said that was what lead him to study chiropractic care. Advertised himself as a sports chiropractor and said he was friends with Jim Kelly (Buffalo Bills) and had performed adjustments on him a number of times.

I've had adjustments from other chiropractors. Some were chiropractors he had working in his office before they opened their
own businesses or referrals to other clinics when he was on vacation. Screwed up a finger playing basketball on vacation near San Diego. Knew it wasn't broken and was probably just temporarily dislocated so I went to a chiropractor out there. All of the other chiropractors performed adjustments that were smooth as silk...even the finger adjustment was painless. None of them did the semi-violent neck adjustment my primary chiropractor routinely performed.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 12:05

The Pantry wrote:Have had kind of a good, bad, ugly experience with chiropractic care.

The Good:
In my early 30's I got a sinus infection after never having one before. Went to my doctor, got a script for antibiotics, and everything was good after about a week. 3-4 months later I got another sinus infection. Went and got more antibiotics...knocked it out again. Repeated the cycle of infection and antibiotics at about 3-4 months two more times. My doctor had no solution to the repeated infections beyond changing the antibiotic.

My wife started seeing a chiropractor for lower back pain after the birth of our second child. When my next sinus infection occurred I was tired of the infection/antibiotic roller coaster and went to see him. He spent some time and educated me in layman's terms about the nerve and skeletal systems...made sense. Spinal/neck adjustments over the following week worked and the infection went away without antibiotics.

Had only one sinus infection since, about 5 years after starting chiropractic care...it cleared up without antibiotics. Haven't had a sinus infection since.
As Pantry has illustrated, if you are easily swayed by the power of suggestion, then the placebo effect afforded by various witch doctors can be very useful.  Otherwise go to a real one.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 18:41

Never been to one, and probably never will. At least not unless referred to one by my PCP.

If you must go, don't let them touch your neck. I read an article where some people have gotten injured badly by chiros, including paralysis.

F that.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 19:31

Gomer wrote:
As Pantry has illustrated, if you are easily swayed by the power of suggestion, then the placebo effect afforded by various witch doctors can be very useful.  Otherwise go to a real one.
As usual, the tunnel-visioned little twit appears speaking things that make little sense.  

For your sake, I hope you grow wiser as you grow older.

Thanks for not going to the game tonight, pussay
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 15:38

You can ask Nevets about it. He's a chiropractor.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 21:31

Dendrobates wrote:You can ask Nevets about it. He's a chiropractor.
Palmer grad?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 21:41

Never been to one but tWife went once and the guy was really creepy. Shut the office down, turned down all the lights and asked to give her a hug. She left and never went back.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 8:50

The guy I went to is a chiropractor who knows what he can and can't do and is a Palmer grad. Went to him for years every 3 months for a back adjustment because of sciatica. Worked very well. Came in and told him I was experiencing numbness and couldn't raise my right shoulder. He took some X-rays of my neck and gave me the names of 4 surgeons (2 neurologists/2 orthopedic) he trustees and works with and told me to ask my friend, a PT for his opinions on the surgeons.

Sent both my kids there when they were playing HS sports to keep things lined up.

My only knock on the guy is he re-married and his wife (also a chiropractor) is an evangelical Christian and now the office plays some religious station all day. Like if God is an awesome God why am I going there to get my back cracked?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 9:28

The Pantry wrote:Palmer grad?

Yes, he's a Palmer grad. I got my masters degree there too, but completely separate program. I went there because I got a tuition waiver.

There are so many shady chiros out there, which my husband and I have discovered. They are the ones most people hear of, and say it's all through the work of God, and they can cure this and that. My husband hates being associated with those kind of chiros but they're everywhere. We wish he could open his own place, but the market isn't that great, and we can barely pay the income based student loans as it is. While I think chiropractic can be very helpful, it's hard to find a good one.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 9:32

never been to a chiropractor so I don't really have anything to say.. sorry.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 9:38

I've been told that if you don't supplement the chiro with massage therapy the solution will be short term. Without the massage therapy your muscles will eventually push/pull everything right back to where they were prior to the chiro adjustment. Makes sense to me. opinions on chiropractors? 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 10:37

I love a good massage
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down