Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.

+10
SeeRockCity
Dr. Strangelove
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
Cym Jim
xsanguine
beal99
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
DWags
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.   Empty U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.

Post by DWags 2014-12-01, 20:11

Not bad. I'm enjoying it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.   Empty Re: U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-01, 20:15

I turned on ESPN to watch the game and I was like - wow, so that's what Bono looks like without his glasses. Now it makes sense.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.   Empty Re: U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-01, 20:28

Is it me? Or was Bruce changing the words a little bit?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-12-01, 21:10

Aids aids aids, everyone has aids aids aids
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-01, 21:16

I was driving home, and heard what I thought was some guy just butchering "Where the Streets have no name" on the radio. Walked in and Bruce was singing with U2 on MNF pregame, and I was like...oh.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-01, 21:26

I seriously had no clue. I saw a band on one of my side TVs with no volume on. Did not recognize the singer but then I saw the guy playing guitar and I thought I recognized him from being in U2. I think they call him something edgy like "The Corner". So I flipped it on the big screen and heard they were singing where the streets have no name. I was like wow, Bono really does not look the same without those glasses.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-01, 21:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I seriously had no clue. I saw a band on one of my side TVs with no volume on. Did not recognize the singer but then I saw the guy playing guitar and I thought I recognized him from being in U2. I think they call him something edgy like "The Corner". So I flipped it on the big screen and heard they were singing where the streets have no name. I was like wow, Bono really does not look the same without those glasses.

I think they call him something edgy, like "The Edge".
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-01, 21:42

That makes more sense.

My wife once dragged me to a U2 concert at the Palace with her sister and my brother in law. I spent the majority of the show in the Captain Morgan Club watching the NCAA Tournament. I bet on CMU and I think they were playing the Dookies. This was in the Chris Kaman days, if I recall. I think they got slaughtered.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-12-01, 21:54

You bet on cmu to beat Duke? How high were you?
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-01, 22:02

Cover. Not beat. The line was probably like 17.5.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-12-02, 04:14

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

That makes more sense.

My wife once dragged me to a U2 concert at the Palace with her sister and my brother in law. I spent the majority of the show in the Captain Morgan Club watching the NCAA Tournament. I bet on CMU and I think they were playing the Dookies. This was in the Chris Kaman days, if I recall. I think they got slaughtered.

Wasn't that the silverdome? I was there. Zoo York. I do those things to keep Wife happy. Still, better than a lot of trash I'd been too. Went to cold play with the kids a couple years ago. I'm not going to lie, it was ok.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-12-02, 04:28

You uppety fucks.

U2 is legendary, The Edge's dual-amp delay is often emulated but never achieved properly and Coldplay will run circles around any 4 part vocal group any of you could conjure up. And they'd do it while playing instruments without even a mishap.

Bruce Springsteen? That guy was writing what would become classic hits while making your wives and mothers wet. If you're talking trash about the Boss it's only because you feel emasculated when you catch sight/sound of him.

Come on, get your head outta your ass.

U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.   Tumblr_mtplrgoIpP1shxe70o2_500
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-12-02, 08:53

It was awesome - like a "Who can play the blandest dad-rock?" competition. Made those old charity supergroups with Clapton, Richards, Harrison, Winwood etc. look like the Dead Kennedys.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-02, 09:10

xsanguine wrote:You uppety fucks.

U2 is legendary, The Edge's dual-amp delay is often emulated but never achieved properly and Coldplay will run circles around any 4 part vocal group any of you could conjure up. And they'd do it while playing instruments without even a mishap.

Bruce Springsteen? That guy was writing what would become classic hits while making your wives and mothers wet. If you're talking trash about the Boss it's only because you feel emasculated when you catch sight/sound of him.

Come on, get your head outta your ass.

U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.   Tumblr_mtplrgoIpP1shxe70o2_500

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-02, 09:10

Bob? Your thoughts?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-02, 09:11

NigelUno wrote:Bob? Your thoughts?
literally listening to "Backstreets" from December 15th, 1978 right now..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-02, 09:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:literally listening to "Backstreets" from December 15th, 1978 right now..

I meant the U2/Bruce thing. It doesn't really work for me.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-02, 09:12

NigelUno wrote:

I meant the U2/Bruce thing. It doesn't really work for me.
oh, I don't know... didn't watch. Sorry, dude.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-02, 09:13

they do have a rather long history together, though. Bono inducted Bruce into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-12-02, 09:17

You know what makes me feel old? Watching the last episode of Sonic Highway on HBO. They finally got to Seattle and for the most part focused on Grunge era music from the late 80's to mid 90's. Everyone looks so old now. This is the music that got me through high school and college.

I guess I gotta get my head around the fact that it's been 20 years since Cobain committed suicide.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-12-02, 09:19

Robert J Sakimano wrote:they do have a rather long history together, though. Bono inducted Bruce into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame..

And of course their illicit homosexual marriage in Hawaii during the early 90s - I believe Jim Nabors served as minister for it.

Fortunately for them that was before all that was legalized so it never really happened.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-02, 09:20

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:You know what makes me feel old? Watching the last episode of Sonic Highway on HBO. They finally got to Seattle and for the most part focused on Grunge era music from the late 80's to mid 90's. Everyone looks so old now. This is the music that got me through high school and college.

I guess I gotta get my head around the fact that it's been 20 years since Cobain committed suicide.
I've really enjoyed watching that show... haven't seen the episode on Seattle, though - will look for it. The Austin show was great.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-02, 09:21

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

And of course their illicit homosexual marriage in Hawaii during the early 90s - I believe Jim Nabors served as minister for it.

Fortunately for them that was before all that was legalized so it never really happened.
well, yeah.. there's that ...
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-02, 09:33

U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.   969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-12-02, 10:23

Bob, do you know if tBoss has spent all of that money that Milken set him up with from junk bonds in the 80's when they were BFF?

SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-12-02, 10:28

This thread is full of suck.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-02, 10:59

SeeRockCity wrote:Bob, do you know if tBoss has spent all of that money that Milken set him up with from junk bonds in the 80's when they were BFF?

I don't know.. haven't talked to him in a while.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-12-02, 11:25

LoneWolfSparty wrote:This thread is full of suck.

Way to add to it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-12-02, 11:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't know.. haven't talked to him in a while.

Will Bruce be joining you and the Drive-By Truckers at the Bobby Sak Family BBQ this summer? Also when you invite Bruce do you have to invite the entire E Street Band because Max Weinberg seems a standoffish.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-02, 11:59

xsanguine wrote:

Springsteen is boring. His classic hits are best suited for a darts league at the local bar.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-02, 12:11

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Will Bruce be joining you and the Drive-By Truckers at the Bobby Sak Family BBQ this summer? Also when you invite Bruce do you have to invite the entire E Street Band because Max Weinberg seems a standoffish.
I don't think Bruce will be stopping by this year.

Funny story - I did invite the Truckers over once. They had a day between their Grand Rapids show and their Detroit show. Maybe I told you that. Got an email back from their manager and Patterson even called me - U2 with the boss and earlier with Chris Martin.   502811600 - we have a couple of common friends. That was pretty funny.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-12-02, 12:44

NigelUno wrote:

You're gonna have to explain this to me, Nigel.

Were there any particular notes you felt were flat/sharp? Did you have a problem with the harmonies? The band was perfect, so it can't be that. I was a little offended by Bruce's choice to button up his jacket (he's gained some weight, it shows)... but that has nothing to do with the music or performance.

Bruce riffs a little... so there's times he doesn't "stick to the script"... but beyond that I'm not sure what you're hearing that has your ears wincing in pain. Sounded like a good performance to me of a 65 year old Bruce Springsteen covering a 56 year old Bono.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-12-02, 12:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:they do have a rather long history together, though. Bono inducted Bruce into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame..

Bruce gave his popular support when U2 was just a struggling Irish band. Apparently his playing with them on stage back in the late 70's gave them the momentum they needed to break through.
Turtleneck wrote:

Springsteen is boring. His classic hits are best suited for a darts league at the local bar.

How dare you
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-12-02, 13:31

Turtleneck wrote:

The Boss of mediocrity.

Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-02, 13:57

xsanguine wrote:

You're gonna have to explain this to me, Nigel.

Were there any particular notes you felt were flat/sharp? Did you have a problem with the harmonies? The band was perfect, so it can't be that. I was a little offended by Bruce's choice to button up his jacket (he's gained some weight, it shows)... but that has nothing to do with the music or performance.

Bruce riffs a little... so there's times he doesn't "stick to the script"... but beyond that I'm not sure what you're hearing that has your ears wincing in pain. Sounded like a good performance to me of a 65 year old Bruce Springsteen covering a 56 year old Bono.

He riffs a little? Is that poetic license code for he kinda forgot the words?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-12-03, 02:37

NigelUno wrote:

He riffs a little? Is that poetic license code for he kinda forgot the words?

He riffs, as in, it may not match up exactly to how Bono recorded it in '86. Musicians do it a lot, believe it or not. I guess I didn't notice any missed lyrics... he changed the timing in one part by about a half beat or so... but it was clear he was interpreting the song for his own performance.

Let's say he forgot the lyric to a song he hasn't played a million times over the last 30 years all over the world. Is that really the complaint you have about him as a musician in that example?? C'mon, man.

I started that video totally expecting a clusterfuck... maybe the in ear monitors weren't working (which famously happened to Axl Rose once during an awards show), Edge's amp blew, Bruce pulls a Busta Rhymes are lands face first in the crowd... but I guess I'm just not seeing it.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-03, 07:09

Cym Jim wrote:

The Boss of mediocrity.

Is it true that Springsteen is also Mellencamp?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-12-03, 07:59

Turtleneck wrote:

Is it true that Springsteen is also Mellencamp?

That's low, man. Totally uncalled for.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-12-03, 08:39

xsanguine wrote:

That's low, man. Totally uncalled for.

Agreed. Why would anybody insult Mellencamp like that.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-12-03, 08:47

kingstonlake wrote:

Agreed. Why would anybody insult Mellencamp like that.

Take it back.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next