Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories

+8
InTenSity
Heat Miser
Nordic
Other Teams Pursuing That
Tim Wakefield
By-Tor
WhiteBoyHatcher
Dr. Strangelove
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories Empty Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-12-04, 08:47

I can't post in tGambling forum and I didn't have any action on MSU/ND but damn that was the epitome of a bad beat/backdoor cover last night.

Especially since good ol Doris said it was a meaningless three by Valentine at the buzzer. Um.....not so much it meant a lot to a lot of people.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories Empty Re: Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-12-04, 09:02

BTW the greatest cover of my life was September 24, 1994.

I had Colorado +4.5

They were down 26-14 with 2:30 to go in the game. They score a TD and then forced a 3 and out and got the ball back at their own 15 yard line with 14 seconds to go down 26-21.

Kordell Stewart hits the miracle to Westbrook for the SU win and the miraculous cover.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories Empty Re: Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 09:23

They all sorta blend together.

One that sticks out in recent years was I had like 8 or 9 hundo on Mayweather by decision vs. Ortiz, because that's how Mayweather fights. Picks his spots, gets a few shots in, and out points people. It was a 'hail mary' to get back under my number. Then this happened. If I didn't already hate Mayweather, this sure as fuck cemented it.

Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories Mayweather-ortiz-k-o-o
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-12-04, 10:07

Anyone remember a MNF game in the mid-late 90s where the Steelers had a GW FG blocked and returned for a TD as time expired against the Jaguars? And Bill Cower took a step onto the field and pretended like he was gonna tackle the return guy. Steelers were down 1 or 2 and prob at +3 on the line. Only thing that could hurt was a block FG for TD. I basically quit gambling and have never seriously gambled since.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-12-04, 11:53

By-Tor wrote:Anyone remember a MNF game in the mid-late 90s where the Steelers had a GW FG blocked and returned for a TD as time expired against the Jaguars? And Bill Cower took a step onto the field and pretended like he was gonna tackle the return guy. Steelers were down 1 or 2 and prob at +3 on the line. Only thing that could hurt was a block FG for TD. I basically quit gambling and have never seriously gambled since.

Sure fucking do - I was on the wrong end of that one.

Box score

Pittsburgh Steelers 21 at Jacksonville Jaguars 30
Monday, September 22, 1997
1 2 3 4 Final
Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5-0) 7 0 7 7 21
Jacksonville Jaguars (11-5-0) 7 10 3 10 30

Weather 82 degrees relative humidity 74%, wind 8 mph
Vegas Line Jacksonville Jaguars -3.0
Surface grass
Start Time (ET) 9:00pm
Stadium Alltel Stadium
Roof outdoors
Over/Under 40.5 (over)

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-12-04, 12:13

That's the one. Jfc I was so bitter after that game.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 14:02

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=397980

I suffered my second worst beat of 2014 on Wednesday night and it came just four days after my absolutely worst beat of the year.

I know, boo hoo. But there is a point to this and there could be a prize in it for you so stay with me.

My most recent Moose-ing came when I took the grand salami – no pun intended – a bet I rarely make, though I do love a good puck bet.

I had the under at 21 ½ goals (even money) and all I needed was for the final game of the night, Flyers-Ducks, to have fewer than nine goals scored in it. After a scoreless first period I went to bed, certain to wake up to another win in the bankroll in the morning.

Not so much.

The Ducks won 5-4 in overtime, and like any horrible beat, the pain wasn’t so much in the loss as in the way I lost.

With the Flyers’ net pulled and the Ducks up 4-3, Anaheim missed an open net on a 2-on-1 in the final minute of play which would have almost certainly sealed victory. That would have put the combined goals in all games for the evening at 21.

But the Flyers went up ice and after some pressure in Anaheim’s end, Philly scored with three seconds left. Three f*#&ing seconds left! That sent the game to overtime, thereby guaranteeing at least one more goal in the contest, thereby completely boning me.

Like I said it was bad. But not as bad as this past Saturday when Hawaii scored three touchdowns – all on fourth down! - to go 21-0 in the fourth quarter to give them the cover by two pathetic points against Fresno State in a 28-21 loss.

The cussing scene in A Christmas Story comes to mind at times like this.

The point of telling you these tales of woe is actually because we need your help. We are putting together the worst betting beats of 2014 and we want your stories. We can’t remember every game and every close cover of the year, but if you suffered the agony of those defeats, I’m gonna bet you remember.

So, either drop us a line here or hit us up on Twitter @Covers and let us know what happened. We’re going to put the best ones in a story featured on Covers and we’ll send a hat to the best three. You may get an RT from us on Twitter, too, if your story makes us giggle or sympathize enough.

Consider it our small way of helping you turn a loser into a winner.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2014-12-04, 14:38

Walked into a charity poker room with my buddy when we were 17 to see if they'd let us play. Didn't ID us, so we sat down at the 1/2 table. I had $200.

First hand, I get dealt two kings UTG. Raise to 10, folded around to BB who shoved for like 50. I call of course, and the fucker has aces. Down $50 after one hand.

Very next hand I have AQs. Heads up, in position with a guy who has me covered, to the flop which was A Q x. Guy shoves, probably trying to bully the young kid at the table. I call and he turns over Q6. Dealer puts running 6's out there to give him a full boat. I'm out $200 in two hands, while my friend at the table laughs his ass off.

Not the worst thing in the world because it was only $200, but that really sucked.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-12-04, 14:59

Where the fuck do I begin?! Fuck this thread. Fuck it. Fuck it! FUCK!!! Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories 1896033241 pale
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-12-04, 15:59

My first great cover was Penn State at Boston College. Shelley Hammonds went for over 200 yards and Penn State scored 2 TDs in final 2:30 for the cover 40-21. The covering TD by Sam Gash (and what a great name) came with 25 seconds to go. Nittany Lions were favored by 18.5 as I recall.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 22:30

UCF loses this fucker and this one will go down in the an(n)als
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 22:40

Welp.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 22:43

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Welp.

oh shit

Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories 77430725_display_image
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 22:45

OL is drunk
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 22:50

crises adverted... carry on with this thread
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 22:53

WTF? Sounded like you had ML?

BTW your posting privileges are approved for Real $ Gambling. Commence with your insight please.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 22:56

Jesus Christ. ::wave::
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 22:56

Holy Shit
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 22:56

holy shit
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 22:56

Heat Miser wrote:Holy Shit

^^^^^^^^^^
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 22:57

2 TEAM TEASER FB 6PTS / BK 4 PTS
[103] TOTAL o50-110 (B+6)
(CENTRAL FLORIDA vrs EAST CAROLINA)
[104] EAST CAROLINA -½-110 (B+6)

55 / 50
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 23:04

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:2 TEAM TEASER FB 6PTS / BK 4 PTS

55 / 50

Okay... this is a timely thread.  Has anyone ever seen a team take a knee and lose?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 23:13

Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories 1966794946 Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories 1966794946

Time to reevaluate my life. Just bought my wife a $800 tennis bracelet for our 10 year. She thought it was too much. Little does she know I will likely be CTC for twice that come Monday. Neutral
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 23:15

And now the Bears are making a game of it.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 23:16

I want to go to Taco Bell.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 23:17

Heat Miser wrote:And now the Bears are making a game of it.

Jesus Christ. I turned it off. If the Bears cover 3 I'm going to light my bbq pit in the garage with the door shut and fall asleep in a tailgate chair.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 23:20

I took UCF and the wife brought me Taco Bell
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 23:26

Nordic wrote:I took UCF and the wife brought me Taco Bell

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-04, 23:32

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Jesus Christ. I turned it off. If the Bears cover 3 I'm going to light my bbq pit in the garage with the door shut and fall asleep in a tailgate chair.

You're good.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-04, 23:35

Unfortunately, this is what I mean by they all blend together. That teaser loss, though only $55, is an all-timer. I mean really? But I don't even care. I won't even remember it in a week. Pathetic. I don't risk a lot these days but the thrill you get from winning/losing a $50 game just doesn't exist anymore.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-12-04, 23:44

Nordic wrote:

Okay... this is a timely thread.  Has anyone ever seen a team take a knee and lose?

Good effort by 39 on ECU - unbuckling his helmet while the Hail Mary was in the air.

Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories B4EDIWRCUAA6uls
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-12-04, 23:50

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories 1966794946 Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories 1966794946

Time to reevaluate my life. Just bought my wife a $800 tennis bracelet for our 10 year. She thought it was too much. Little does she know I will likely be CTC for twice that come Monday. Neutral

Congrats on the 10 year, WBH.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-05, 00:25

Thanks, x.

Flipside to the OP. I'm chasing and chasing hard. Trying to stay under.

Put $100 on Portland/Indiana 2h Over 98.5 after a very low scoring 1h. It looked really good until a very cold spell mid 4th by both teams. It came down to needing 9 points in the last 2 minutes. Then 4 points in the last minute with Indiana ball and Portland up 6. Pacers missed, much to my chagrin and fouled. Portland made both and I needed 2 with 10 seconds left. Usually in the NBA this is a situation where the team that is down dribbles out and hands the ball to the ref. Thank God for Rodney Stuckey! Dude went full force down the court, made a layup at the buzzer, and we ended at 99 2h points. Winner.

TL;DR - fuck the NBA
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-05, 00:57

The GS total didn't really come close to losing...thanks to Day Day. I love you Day Day. Day Day is good. Ultimate glue guy, great defender. He does everything. I can't believe I'm saying this, but dude could/should start for every single team in the league.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-12-05, 08:52

Nordic wrote:

No, but I did see a quarterback run out of bounds with no time left on the clock.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-12-05, 10:00

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:2 TEAM TEASER FB 6PTS / BK 4 PTS

55 / 50

I'm a sucker for teasers but have learned to hedge - God I love when I can middle those. I usually have a 3 or 4 teamer every weekend (standard 6 point boost) and I will peg 3 games I really like early and then stick whatever late so I can swing back for the middle.

I got nothing in college this weekend for teasers but I LOVE tOSU on the ML and of course with the points.

Pros: Teasing Indy (move to +2), Saints (-4), Vikes (pick), Packers (-7).

I got no fucking clue on Pack but figure that line crosses 14 by gametime and increases my middle
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-05, 12:57

Strangelove and By-Tor, Heat hooked you up and you can post on the gambling forum now. I know it's mostly just our little circle jerk who ponied up to play with real cash but your insights are welcome.

If you guys are interested in buying in to the circle jerk, let me know.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2014-12-06, 23:30

FSU -3 tonight Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories 1896033241

Gtech can't throw a pass to save their lives all night and they put together a surgical drive in garbage time for a TD to cover the spread. FSU has ****ed me all year long.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-06, 23:37

Yikes. Sorry Tim. We had GT +4, had already written it off as a L and turned off the game.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2014-12-06, 23:43

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yikes. Sorry Tim. We had GT +4, had already written it off as a L and turned off the game.
97 yard drive against a team that can't pass. Oh well, it was small potatoes. Glad you retards got a winner though Bad beats or backdoor covers - Gambling stories 502811600
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next