Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USOC votes in favor of US bid for 2024 Olympic Games

+8
Jools Holland
Cym Jim
gomersbro
Rocinante
I.B. Fine
The_Dude
InTenSity
Turtleneck
12 posters

Go down

USOC votes in favor of US bid for 2024 Olympic Games Empty USOC votes in favor of US bid for 2024 Olympic Games

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-18, 11:00

The U.S. Olympic Committee board voted Tuesday in favor of a bid after hearing presentations from the four candidates - Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington. The board decided to weigh the choices over the holidays before selecting its bid city.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bach-welcomes-us-decision-bid-2024-olympics-102146443--oly.html

Curious as to who gets the bid. LA has hosted twice before and was candidate city a half dozen other times. Does that give them an advantage?

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2015-01-09, 00:17; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

USOC votes in favor of US bid for 2024 Olympic Games Empty Re: USOC votes in favor of US bid for 2024 Olympic Games

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-18, 11:03

This is a bid, to put a city up for bid?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

USOC votes in favor of US bid for 2024 Olympic Games Empty Re: USOC votes in favor of US bid for 2024 Olympic Games

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-18, 11:04

InTenSity wrote:This is a bid, to put a city up for bid?

They are going to sell one of those cities to the Russians.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-18, 11:36

Boston USOC votes in favor of US bid for 2024 Olympic Games 3493939353
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-12-18, 12:41

Hasn't hosting the Olympics become somewhat of a joke? Spend crazy money to build to IOC expectations (no money from those corrupt d-bags, of course) and never remotely see a payback once they leave town.
Tell me if I'm wrong, where has a city, in recent memory, benefited, long term, from the Olympic investment?
and Sochi isn't one of them.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-18, 13:06

I.B. Fine wrote:Hasn't hosting the Olympics become somewhat of a joke? Spend crazy money to build to IOC expectations (no money from those corrupt d-bags, of course) and never remotely see a payback once they leave town.
Tell me if I'm wrong, where has a city, in recent memory, benefited, long term, from the Olympic investment?

True because IOC is corrupt and developing nations thought it was an avenue to revenue during and after the Olympics (which hasn't panned out for ANY of them recently), however, an established city with established sports venues won't have to pour as much money into it at the outset and it could potentially be a moneymaker. That's how the Olympics need to be done for a while -- no more building entire cities to host. That's just fucking dumb. The IOC needs an enema. It's still a very important international event and it's become a joke.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2014-12-18, 13:19

I.B. Fine wrote:Hasn't hosting the Olympics become somewhat of a joke? Spend crazy money to build to IOC expectations (no money from those corrupt d-bags, of course) and never remotely see a payback once they leave town.

London (Summer '12) claims not have been a money drain. Summer games are much more likely to break even than the winter ones which tend to be in smaller, more remote areas. However some believe that debt occurred by Athens '04 is part of the reason the Greek economy is in shambles. Rio is going to be a big bust for them. Personally I would be upset if the town I lived in was wasting money on a bid. Even the bidding process is millions of dollars.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-18, 13:30

Rocinante wrote:

True because IOC is corrupt and developing nations thought it was an avenue to revenue during and after the Olympics (which hasn't panned out for ANY of them recently), however, an established city with established sports venues won't have to pour as much money into it at the outset and it could potentially be a moneymaker.  That's how the Olympics need to be done for a while -- no more building entire cities to host.  That's just fucking dumb.  The IOC needs an enema.  It's still a very important international event and it's become a joke.

You're on the the track. However, you have to view this beyond financial return on investment. For the developing and authoritarian world, it is about prestige and legitimacy. China was looking to build prestige abroad and strengthen legitimacy at home. Russia was doing the latter. Brazil, with the World Cup and Summer Games, is trying to gain entry into the club of truly modern states. You can go all the way back to the 1936 Berlin Games to see how states often use these games for something more than profit. After all, there is no better way to show off your country than through the Olympics or World Cup.

For the developed world, it seems to be a different story. National governments are more indifferent and bids are driven by locals trying to sell their city as a world class destination. This is why they tend to spend less. Compare the $15 billion spent by London in 2012 to the $40-50 billion spent by China to host the 2008 Games. As for profit, most recently London reported taking in more than what was spent. However, who really knows. Montreal is probably still paying for the 1976 Games.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-18, 13:49

Yeah I guess what I'm saying is that I think the developed nations need to co-opt the IOC and take the olympic back. The prestige thing I GUESS is a draw, but it seems to only be a draw for oppressive countries where a small group make all the decisions. LOOK AT ALL OF OUR ROBOTS PLAYING DRUMS AT THE SAME TIME AND FEAR US AMERICA!!!

I think the pomp of the olympics needs to be reigned in and the focus needs to go back to the competition. the IOC has pumped up the pomp on purpose to line their own pockets. have a damn parade at the beginning, hang banners all over the city and have the competitions at established venues.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-12-18, 16:57

What are you planning to bride the Olympic committee with this time?
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jools Holland 2014-12-18, 17:15

Cym Jim wrote:What are you planning to bride the Olympic committee with this time?

Aborted fetuses and iPhone 7s
Jools Holland
Jools Holland
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-12-18, 17:28

Cym Jim wrote:What are you planning to bride the Olympic committee with this time?

We offered the Brits on the committee free dental care. Big mistake, they weren't the least bit interested.

Here's a riddle for you: You know the difference between an English woman and a bowl of spaghetti? The spaghetti moves when you eat it.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-12-18, 17:29

Rocinante wrote:
the IOC has pumped up the pomp on purpose to line their own pockets.  have a damn parade at the beginning, hang banners all over the city and have the competitions at established venues.

You don't expect the IOC to pay for their own private air travel to get there, not to mention the hookers and blow, do you?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-12-18, 17:48

Please not Boston. They're the UM of cities. So much arrogance just for the sake of being Boston, when it's really all based on history.

Seriously, though, Boston is a cool city and all (and I do love the history there, as a pretty big history buff), but Bostonians are typically a bunch of dicks that think anything Boston is better than anything anywhere else. The Olympics would just feed their over-inflated egos.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-18, 20:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:Please not Boston.  They're the UM of cities.  So much arrogance just for the sake of being Boston, when it's really all based on history.

Seriously, though, Boston is a cool city and all (and I do love the history there, as a pretty big history buff), but Bostonians are typically a bunch of dicks that think anything Boston is better than anything anywhere else.  The Olympics would just feed their over-inflated egos.

Going to disagree there. I think San Francisco is the UM of cities (at least in terms of arrogance). The people there are so smug and arrogant and flaky it's disgusting. The people there think SF is a utopian mecca that's the center of the universe and get personally offended if you disagree with them on anything or say that there might be some things better in places not named San Francisco. All my friends that have moved there end up becoming self-centered, arrogant snobs.

It's a shame, because I feel like it's a pretty city and the weather is nice. I just cannot stand how snobby and elitist the people there are, though. Reminded me a lot of UM/Ann Arbor whenever I visited the place.

I hope it's anyone but San Francisco. I really hate that place. They don't need the ego boost from hosting the Olympics. Easily my least favorite city in the United States.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-12-18, 21:06

SpartanHT wrote:

Going to disagree there. I think San Francisco is the UM of cities (at least in terms of arrogance). The people there are so smug and arrogant and flaky it's disgusting. The people there think SF is a utopian mecca that's the center of the universe and get personally offended if you disagree with them on anything or say that there might be some things better in places not named San Francisco. All my friends that have moved there end up becoming self-centered, arrogant snobs.

It's a shame, because I feel like it's a pretty city and the weather is nice. I just cannot stand how snobby and elitist the people there are, though. Reminded me a lot of UM/Ann Arbor whenever I visited the place.

I hope it's anyone but San Francisco. I really hate that place. They don't need the ego boost from hosting the Olympics. Easily my least favorite city in the United States.

You sound like you love Jesus and wear flannel.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-18, 21:45

Cym Jim wrote:

You sound like you love Jesus and wear flannel.

I don't love Jesus, but I wear plenty of flannel. What about it?
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-18, 23:20

How can you not love Jesus? Dude was awesome. That's like saying you don't love Santa. In fact it's exactly the same thing.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-18, 23:33

Rocinante wrote:How can you not love Jesus? Dude was awesome. That's like saying you don't love Santa. In fact it's exactly the same thing.

Santa is a weirdo.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-12-18, 23:33

SpartanHT wrote:

Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-18, 23:49

Code_Warrior wrote:

Haha, my San Francisco experiences weren't too different than the depiction of the place in South Park. So. Much. Smug.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-18, 23:51

Turtleneck wrote:

Santa is a weirdo.

I can't believe he's so beloved after all that breaking and entering and trespassing. Such a creep.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-09, 00:16

Boston

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2015/January/08/US-Olympic-Committee-Selects-Applicant-City-For-2024-Olympic-And-Paralympic-Games
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down