Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff

+6
LoneWolfSparty
Nordic
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Turtleneck
WhiteBoyHatcher
10 posters

Go down

Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff Empty Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-26, 23:23

I noticed they were building something new so I went to check out the sign. They are building a new Penguinarium or Penguinasium or whatnot. The thing that struck me though was that they had a fundraising goal chart on the sign....and the goal was $29.5 MILLION dollars. I had to double check it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing a zero or two. WTF.

I am not complaining because I love the Zoo, and we happily pay our membership fees and extras. But does it really cost 30 million to build a penguin house? Am I out of touch with inflation/reality? Wow. Can someone with experience building penguin houses please enlighten me so I can understand why it would cost that much? Again let me make this clear, I am not complaining about tax dollars or spending or blah blah blah just....oh forget it. Fuckin' liberals.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff Empty Re: Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff

Post by Guest 2014-12-26, 23:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I noticed they were building something new so I went to check out the sign. They are building a new Penguinarium or Penguinasium or whatnot. The thing that struck me though was that they had a fundraising goal chart on the sign....and the goal was $29.5 MILLION dollars. I had to double check it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing a zero or two. WTF.

I am not complaining because I love the Zoo, and we happily pay our membership fees and extras. But does it really cost 30 million to build a penguin house? Am I out of touch with inflation/reality? Wow. Can someone with experience building penguin houses please enlighten me so I can understand why it would cost that much? Again let me make this clear, I am not complaining about tax dollars or spending or blah blah blah just....oh forget it. Fuckin' liberals.

For $30 million send those little fuckers back to Antarctica and post some cute pictures to look at.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff Empty Re: Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-26, 23:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I noticed they were building something new so I went to check out the sign. They are building a new Penguinarium or Penguinasium or whatnot. The thing that struck me though was that they had a fundraising goal chart on the sign....and the goal was $29.5 MILLION dollars. I had to double check it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing a zero or two. WTF.

Liberals will let anybody live in this country regardless of legal status, and they will pay for their housing among other things too.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-26, 23:32

The reptile house and polar bear exhibit are pretty cool. I can't imagine how in any way that shit could cost more than the polar bear exhibit, though. And man, if I had to guess I'd guess the Polar Bear thing cost maybe like 6-10 mil, minus the cost of the bears and the Coca-Cola.

Clearly I know nothing about building zoo exhibits. But I do know that one of my wife's good friends worked with the elephants years ago. And then she somehow fell through the roof of the elephant house and hurt her back and had to quit. Then they shipped Winky and Wanda off to California. Then one of them died. So that's sad.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-26, 23:39

$15 million for a new one in KC.
http://www.kansascityzoo.org/HelzbergPenguinPlaza

The Detroit exhibit will be the largest of its kind in the US, and will include Sidney Crosby (his contract is what inflates the cost).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/detroit-zoo-penguins_n_3949111.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-12-26, 23:47

Yes, yes it does.  wah wah wah wah

Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff The_pe10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-12-27, 00:01

I have a lot of experience with building penguin houses and ya know what? I don't think you've done enough to earn my professional opinion. Try again next time.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-27, 00:16

What's the deal with you and light shows?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-12-27, 09:10

This has less to do with liberals and even tax spending as it does with specialized building. There are a handful of builders that do this kind of work so they tend to get top dollar for it. I am sure the goal includes maintenance costs for a few years as well.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-12-27, 09:14

LoneWolfSparty wrote:This has less to do with liberals and even tax spending as it does with specialized building. There are a handful of builders that do this kind of work so they tend to get top dollar for it. I am sure the goal includes maintenance costs for a few years as well.

Having said that I'm sure there are some inflated zoological society (or another such nonsense organization) inspection fees along with this as well.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-27, 09:15

LoneWolfSparty wrote:This has less to do with liberals and even tax spending as it does with specialized building. There are a handful of builders that do this kind of work so they tend to get top dollar for it. I am sure the goal includes maintenance costs for a few years as well.

Have you ever killed a penguin?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-12-27, 09:29

Turtleneck wrote:

Have a cousin who clubs those little bastards. Oh wait, those are seals.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-12-27, 10:14

The zoo??!? What are you, gay?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-27, 10:50

Nordic wrote:What's the deal with you and light shows?

Have to keep the wife sane by letting her think that dragging our kids to Holiday events and fighting with them about staying in a stroller, not getting popcorn/hot chocolate/whatever, whose sippy cup is whose is quality family time.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-27, 11:14

Why are your kids out of control?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-27, 11:19

Because they're 5 and 2.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-12-27, 11:21

What zoo are we talking about here? I don't think I've been to a zoo in about 25 years.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-27, 11:22

What are their thoughts on the current Harbaugh situation?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-27, 11:31

Turtleneck wrote:What are their thoughts on the current Harbaugh situation?

Just asked 5 year old. He said "No I don't even know what that is."

So there you have it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-12-27, 11:32

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:What zoo are we talking about here? I don't think I've been to a zoo in about 25 years.

Detroit Zoo.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-27, 11:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Just asked 5 year old. He said "No I don't even know what that is."

So there you have it.

Sounds like your kid is going to be a shitty message board poster when he grows up.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-12-27, 11:57

Turtleneck wrote:

Sounds like your kid is going to be a shitty message board poster when he grows up.

Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff 502811600
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-12-27, 14:33

Turtleneck wrote:

I got bit by a penguin once. They don't like to be picked up apparently.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-12-27, 14:38

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

I'm sure there are some inflated zoological society (or another such nonsense organization) inspection fees along with this as well.
Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff 4113017228  The zoological society runs the zoo.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-27, 14:44

You ever try picking up a human, or do you enjoy hitting on other species?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-12-27, 16:10

Cym Jim wrote:
Was at the zoo tonight for the "Wild Lights" stuff 4113017228  The zoological society runs the zoo.

That is why I said some other dumb organization.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down