Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015/16 Football Thread

+30
WhiteGreenShow
Code_Warrior
tGreenWay
The_Dude
Wally Fairway
CORNER BLITZ
Death Roe
Tim Wakefield
NigelUno
TCSparty25
WhiteBoyHatcher
gomersbro
kingstonlake
Herbie Green
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
Ass Dan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Giant Moose
InTenSity
HT
CheesySpartan
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
The Pantry
Heat Miser
Rodeo Burger
SpartanInNH
Turtleneck
34 posters

Page 11 of 24 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 24  Next

Go down

2015/16 Football Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: 2015/16 Football Thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-08-31, 07:29

bump

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-02, 16:41

MSU football: Position-by-position scouting report

Free Press sports writer Joe Rexrode scouts the Michigan State roster, position by position:
QB
The good: How many teams can say they have a third-year starter at quarterback who is a Heisman candidate, possible high NFL draft pick and owns a Rose Bowl MVP trophy? Connor Cook can make it difficult to argue anyone else when the subject is best QB in MSU history.
The bad: You have to look hard to find negatives. Is it a problem Cook wasn’t voted a captain? It might be on a team that isn’t this stacked with leaders. He can improve as a player, though. And backups Tyler O’Connor and Damion Terry could use some work.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-02, 17:28

SI's predictions - lots of MSU and some Narduzzi.

2015 preseason Crystal Ball: SI picks the playoff, Heisman, hot seat, more
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-03, 06:51

Western’s prolific passing trio to test MSU’s secondary

The Broncos, winners of eight games last season, have the offense to test any defensive backfield, especially one that has two new starters at cornerback like the Spartans. And with quarterback Zach Terrell throwing to the wide receiver tandem of Corey Davis and Daniel Braverman, Western Michigan should give Michigan State a clear indication of what it has in the secondary

and from the peanut gallery....

Mike Baker
Western upsets MSU because Narduzzi has left the building and the cupboard is bare. MSU will be whipped by Oregon in front of their sold out place on the Red Cedar, Ooh I can hardly wait! They will start that Dantonio Dynasty 0-2.

2015/16 Football Thread - Page 11 1966794946
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-03, 09:24

bump.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-03, 11:03

Riley Bullough enters first year in center of MSU's D

EAST LANSING – In terms of diagnosing offensive plays before the snap and getting the right calls to teammates, let's say Max Bullough was a 10 on a scale of 1-10 during his career as a Michigan State middle linebacker.
Riley Bullough, where are you on that scale?
"A 12," he said Tuesday, a serious look on his face — quickly followed by a smile.
"No, you know, I don't know," said Bullough, whose tenure at the center of No. 5 MSU's defense begins Friday at Western Michigan. "Max was such a smart player. But, I'm a competitive guy, so I see myself as good or (as a) better player than Max. And I think that's how every player should be."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-03, 11:53

Really, really good SpartanMag story on Taybor Pepper.

Oh Snap! Pepper's talent spices up MSU kicking game

EAST LANSING - Michigan State's football team has played in 40 games over the last three seasons. Senior Taybor Pepper has played in every single one of them - making him one of only four current Spartans that can claim that distinction.

Yet it doesn't take long to compile Pepper's official statistics at Michigan State over the last three years. In 2012, he had four tackles on punt coverage as a freshman. In 2013, he recovered a fumbled punt against Nebraska and recorded a solo tackle in the Rose Bowl against Stanford. Last year, during his junior year, he tallied single tackles versus Eastern Michigan and Purdue.

Doesn't seem all that impressive, does it?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-10, 07:13

Rexrode's Contentment Curve.....

Hey Joe: Introducing the B1G Football Contentment Curve

Some lighter reading....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-10, 07:26

MSU players expected to fill gaps in secondary

East Lansing — There has been plenty of scrutiny on the Michigan State defensive backfield following a season-opening victory at Western Michigan last week.
It was an up-and-down game for the defense as a whole, but the young secondary was hurt in the second half by several long drives by Western Michigan, which had a chance to cut the Michigan State lead to single digits in the fourth quarter before a late interception.
And some of the depth at safety took a hit over the weekend as junior Mark Meyers was suspended indefinitely by coach Mark Dantonio.
The starters are solid with fifth-year senior RJ Williamson and sophomore Montae Nicholson. But who the next guy would be is up in the air heading into Saturday's matchup with Oregon.
Meyers saw some action against Western Michigan when Nicholson left for a handful of plays after banging his elbow. Now that substitute could be any number of players.
"(Demetrious) Cox could definitely move back," co-defensive coordinator Mike Tressel said on Wednesday. "That's one thing about him and I think that would be a quick adjustment. He's done it for years. But Jalen Watts-Jackson definitely can. (Matt) Morrissey knows the defense inside and out, but I would say that Cox would probably be the first thing."
Cox played primarily safety the last two seasons before beginning to work at cornerback late last season. He entered preseason camp as a cornerback and started the opener along with redshirt freshman Vayante Copeland.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-10, 18:40

Hinsdale's Allen family carving out a football legacy at Michigan State

Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio noticed something unusual during his recruiting visit to the Hinsdale home of Jack Allen — a hole in the basement wall.

The downstairs area contained a full wrestling mat, and the hole represented the physical, aggressive nature of Allen and his two younger brothers. A Big Ten football coach can embrace those family values.

"Like any three-boy family," Dantonio said, "there's a lot of ribbing going on."

Ribbing? More like breaking ribs.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-09-11, 05:24

What's the word on Chris Clark leaving UCLAand opening communication with MSU?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-11, 11:30

DWags wrote:What's the word on Chris Clark leaving UCLAand opening communication with MSU?
from what I hear, he's leaving UCLA and is interested in communicating with MSU.

so, stay tuned.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-09-11, 11:37

What's going on with Drake Martinez? I can't find any information.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2015-09-11, 15:16

Rocinante wrote:What's going on with Drake Martinez? I can't find any information.
Injured--in boot.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-11, 15:41

Rocinante wrote:What's going on with Drake Martinez? I can't find any information.

Maybe because D'Antoni doesn't talk about injuries.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-12, 05:07

Pick Six: 2015 WEEK 2 GAME PREVIEWS

OREGON  AT  MICHIGAN STATE  (Saturday 8:00ET, ABC)
Michigan State is seeking revenge for last season’s 46-27 loss in Eugene, a game that they led in the second half until Marcus Mariota escaped the pressure and converted an unlikely third-and-long to shift the complexion of the game.  The rematch is here, and is the most important non-conference game of the 2015 season.  Oregon is attempting to replace its first Heisman winner, and despite just a few weeks with the team, EWU-transfer Vernon Adams looks ready.  He is not Mariota, but brings creativity and elusiveness to extend plays.  His style and shorter stature may remind Duck fans of Jeremiah Masoli, and the national fan of Russell Wilson.  But this is not a typical Big Sky defense that he played against for 3 seasons.  Yes, the skill positions are fully stocked, and yes they are still Oregon.  But this is the type of team that causes fits for the Ducks’ high-octane attack.  Think Stanford.

As I break down this 2015 Michigan State team, that Stanford comparison holds true.  MSU has one of the best offensive lines in America featuring two All-Americans in Jack Allen and Jack Conklin.  Yet, the defensive line may be even stronger! The trenches are elite, and given Dantonio’s track record (despite the loss of Narduzzi) I expect the back seven to reload.  The offense features a reliable quarterback in Connor Cook, and some inexperienced, yet promising talent at RB and WR.  The Stanford comparisons are clear (yes, I mean the stronger 11-win Stanford teams of a few years back, not the squad that just lost to Northwestern).

Oregon’s defense was pushed around by FCS Eastern Washington and allowed 41 points.  Look for Michigan State to dominate the lines of scrimmage, and eventually use the ground game to open up some crushing strikes off of play-action.  Much like the Stanford bouts a few years back, I think Oregon has met its match.  The winner Saturday night will launch into the top 4, and I am calling for a special night On The Banks Of The Red Cedar.
MICHIGAN STATE 31   OREGON 26

That site claims to have the "MOST ACCURATE BCS PREVIEWS IN AMERICA", as if the BCS is still a thing.  I'm not buying that MSU holds the Ducks to 26.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-09-12, 09:28

Floyd Robertson wrote:Pick Six: 2015 WEEK 2 GAME PREVIEWS

OREGON  AT  MICHIGAN STATE  (Saturday 8:00ET, ABC)
Michigan State is seeking revenge for last season’s 46-27 loss in Eugene, a game that they led in the second half until Marcus Mariota escaped the pressure and converted an unlikely third-and-long to shift the complexion of the game.  The rematch is here, and is the most important non-conference game of the 2015 season.  Oregon is attempting to replace its first Heisman winner, and despite just a few weeks with the team, EWU-transfer Vernon Adams looks ready.  He is not Mariota, but brings creativity and elusiveness to extend plays.  His style and shorter stature may remind Duck fans of Jeremiah Masoli, and the national fan of Russell Wilson.  But this is not a typical Big Sky defense that he played against for 3 seasons.  Yes, the skill positions are fully stocked, and yes they are still Oregon.  But this is the type of team that causes fits for the Ducks’ high-octane attack.  Think Stanford.

As I break down this 2015 Michigan State team, that Stanford comparison holds true.  MSU has one of the best offensive lines in America featuring two All-Americans in Jack Allen and Jack Conklin.  Yet, the defensive line may be even stronger! The trenches are elite, and given Dantonio’s track record (despite the loss of Narduzzi) I expect the back seven to reload.  The offense features a reliable quarterback in Connor Cook, and some inexperienced, yet promising talent at RB and WR.  The Stanford comparisons are clear (yes, I mean the stronger 11-win Stanford teams of a few years back, not the squad that just lost to Northwestern).

Oregon’s defense was pushed around by FCS Eastern Washington and allowed 41 points.  Look for Michigan State to dominate the lines of scrimmage, and eventually use the ground game to open up some crushing strikes off of play-action.  Much like the Stanford bouts a few years back, I think Oregon has met its match.  The winner Saturday night will launch into the top 4, and I am calling for a special night On The Banks Of The Red Cedar.
MICHIGAN STATE 31   OREGON 26

That site claims to have the "MOST ACCURATE BCS PREVIEWS IN AMERICA", as if the BCS is still a thing.  I'm not buying that MSU holds the Ducks to 26.

Yeah, and the whole "domination in the trenches" take sure didn't seem to hold up against Western. Still, different game, home game, night game. Maybe. Maybe.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-09-12, 09:41

I think we're going to have a real nice defensive showing. 24 or less for the Ducks.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-12, 09:46

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think we're going to have a real nice defensive showing. 24 or less for the Ducks.
2015/16 Football Thread - Page 11 IzZW5Br

We're going to bust their fucking beaks off.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-14, 13:25

The Big Ten strikes back: Is the conference in position to get two teams into the playoff after Week 2?

Chock full o' MSU content including a trip to Joe's Gizzard City.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-14, 14:00

LooseGoose wrote:The Big Ten strikes back: Is the conference in position to get two teams into the playoff after Week 2?

The Gizzard City review pretty good 2015/16 Football Thread - Page 11 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-14, 18:15

Big Ten's Big Two more than make up for lack of depth

Sorry if already posted elsewhere.

No other league has two better playoff candidates right now than the No. 1 Buckeyes and No. 4 Spartans. Sure, the Big 12 boasts Baylor and TCU as strong contenders, but neither will own a nonconference win nearly as impressive as Michigan State's 31-28 takedown of Oregon on Saturday night, and neither has Ohio State's cachet as defending national champion (not to mention that the Spartans beat Baylor in the Cotton Bowl last year). The Big 12's lack of a championship game and its decision to actually designate a champion this year make it unlikely that conference would ever get two teams in the playoff.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-14, 20:09

College Football Week 2 Wrap: It’s Always the Quiet Ones

As a nation, we’re probably done overlooking Michigan State

Best quote ever.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-09-14, 20:13

Floyd Robertson wrote:College Football Week 2 Wrap: It’s Always the Quiet Ones

As a nation, we’re probably done overlooking Michigan State

Best quote ever.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-14, 20:25

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:College Football Week 2 Wrap: It’s Always the Quiet Ones

Best quote ever.

I don't know, OTPT, our knob has been getting slobbered pretty good the last 48 hours.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-14, 21:03

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
I don't know, OTPT, our knob has been getting slobbered pretty good the last 48 hours.
Yeah, back in the SoS days it would have been time for a face plant vs tAFA.  Under CoachD I'm not even worried about it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-15, 01:57

The Only Colors@TheOnlyColors 2h2 hours ago
Sorry, just not over it yet. In the last 17 games, MSU football has defeated 4 Top-5 teams.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-15, 06:49

Report: Air Force QB (knee) out for MSU game, season

Air Force will be without starting quarterback Nate Romine when the Falcons (2-0) try to upset No. 4 Michigan State (2-0) on Saturday at Spartan Stadium (noon, ABC).
Romine is out for the season with torn ligaments in his right knee, the Colorado Springs Gazette reported, citing Romine's Facebook page. The 5-foot-11 junior was carted off in the fourth quarter of Air Force's 37-16 win over San Jose State and will be replaced by senior Karson Roberts.
Romine had 111 rushing yards and a touchdown on 22 attempts in the Falcons' run-dominated triple-option offense, and was 7-for-18 passing for 143 yards and two touchdowns with one interception.
Air Force offensive coordinator Mike Thiessen told the Gazette that the offense will run the same under Roberts, saying: "Instead of identifying who he is now, we'll let his production over the next 10 weeks prove who he is at the end of the year. We'll find out."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-09-15, 09:01

Dantonio on Rusillo and Kanell yesterday; FF to the 56:30 mark.

Ryen and Danny discuss what they saw from NFL Week 1. Peyton looked bad, Mariota outplayed Winston plus Michigan State head coach Mark D'Antonio joined the show. 

They can can't spell Dantonio
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-15, 09:32

bump..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-15, 09:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:The Big Ten strikes back: Is the conference in position to get two teams into the playoff after Week 2?

The Gizzard City review pretty good 2015/16 Football Thread - Page 11 502811600

They should open one in EL.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-15, 21:06

Dienhart puts Bullough #1 in his B10 player rankings.

1. Riley Bullough, LB, Michigan State. Max, Shane, Riley … are they ever gonna run out of Bulloughs in East Lansing? The Bulloughs are as tough and durable as a Ford F-150. Who am I kidding: The Bulloughs are tougher and more durable. Riley paces the Big Ten in tackles (11.5 per game) and is second in sacks (3.0) for a defense that is the face of this MSU prog -

See more at: http://btn.com/2015/09/15/big-ten-player-rankings-bullough-likely-top-our-guys-new-list/#sthash.TxoZQIY4.dpuf
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-15, 21:12

Michigan State freshman WR Felton Davis III cramming for debut

EAST LANSING — "Turn!" Thwip, Ka-Thud. "Turn!" Thwip, Ka-Thud.
Over and over, the commands echoed inside the Duffy Daugherty Football Building followed by the sound of leather being spit out between two spinning rubber wheels, a split second later hitting the hands of Felton Davis III.
Davis was putting in extra work following Tuesday night's practice, beginning each repetition with his back to the machine, spinning his lanky 6-foot-4, 181-pound frame on command, and then locating and catching the football coming at him at high velocity from the Jugs machine.
Mark Dantonio has given the green light for the red shirt to come off of Davis, a true freshman he believes can and must contribute this season, perhaps as early as Saturday's noon game against Air Force at Spartan Stadium (TV: ABC)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-09-15, 23:43

Connor Cook on the DP show today. I like this kid. 

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-09-16, 00:10

LooseGoose wrote:Michigan State freshman WR Felton Davis III cramming for debut

EAST LANSING — "Turn!" Thwip, Ka-Thud. "Turn!" Thwip, Ka-Thud.
Over and over, the commands echoed inside the Duffy Daugherty Football Building followed by the sound of leather being spit out between two spinning rubber wheels, a split second later hitting the hands of Felton Davis III.
Davis was putting in extra work following Tuesday night's practice, beginning each repetition with his back to the machine, spinning his lanky 6-foot-4, 181-pound frame on command, and then locating and catching the football coming at him at high velocity from the Jugs machine.
Mark Dantonio has given the green light for the red shirt to come off of Davis, a true freshman he believes can and must contribute this season, perhaps as early as Saturday's noon game against Air Force at Spartan Stadium (TV: ABC)

Wow.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-16, 08:33

OK, How did I miss this story?

Michigan State's O-line emerges as one of best in nation

But to continue to keep Cook clean, Staten is having to rejigger his offensive line after starting right tackle Kodi Kieler suffered a right leg injury against Oregon that will force the redshirt junior to miss some time. In Kieler's absence, Benny McGowan and Miguel Machado will split reps. T he 6' 6", 298-pound Machado, a junior college transfer who redshirted last season, is nicknamed “Inmate 1492" because he didn't smile during his first six months in East Lansing, and also because he plays with reckless abandon. The redshirt junior played well in his 37 snaps against Oregon.

“He's got this scowl that looks like he could be in the [prison] yard," Staten says with a laugh. “He's just crazy. He's learning and it's fun to coach him because he may not get there with the exact technique you want him to, but when he gets there he's bringing everything he's got. He's going to try to run through a brick wall for you, his O-linemates and his offense."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-16, 08:42

LooseGoose wrote:OK, How did I miss this story?

Michigan State's O-line emerges as one of best in nation

But to continue to keep Cook clean, Staten is having to rejigger his offensive line after starting right tackle Kodi Kieler suffered a right leg injury against Oregon that will force the redshirt junior to miss some time. In Kieler's absence, Benny McGowan and Miguel Machado will split reps. T he 6' 6", 298-pound Machado, a junior college transfer who redshirted last season, is nicknamed “Inmate 1492" because he didn't smile during his first six months in East Lansing, and also because he plays with reckless abandon. The redshirt junior played well in his 37 snaps against Oregon.

“He's got this scowl that looks like he could be in the [prison] yard," Staten says with a laugh. “He's just crazy. He's learning and it's fun to coach him because he may not get there with the exact technique you want him to, but when he gets there he's bringing everything he's got. He's going to try to run through a brick wall for you, his O-linemates and his offense."
man, I missed it too. Thanks for posting!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-16, 09:48

2015/16 Football Thread - Page 11 CPBqAbDUEAAJcay
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-16, 09:51