Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink?

+26
Rodeo Burger
kingstonlake
MattyFresh
tbone12
Giant Moose
Blanch32
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
CheesySpartan
The_Dude
The Pantry
HT
Turtleneck
Duke Silver
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
Brock Middlebrook
SpartanInNH
Ass Dan
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
Dr. Strangelove
Floyd Robertson
30 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? Empty MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink?

Post by Guest 2015-06-12, 06:48

Police, MSU investigate softball coaches

Player who criticized program alleges head coach gave assistant permission to hit her with pitches

Michigan State Police and Michigan State University officials are investigating allegations a Spartans assistant softball coach twice intentionally hit a player with a pitch, with the head coach's permission, after the player made derogatory comments about the program.

Alyssa McBride, a 22-year-old senior outfielder from Mattawan, said she was hit by two pitches during batting practice near the end of the season. She felt both pitches were aimed at her head, she said. One deeply bruised her left arm and the other struck her wrist.

State Police began the investigation under Detective 1st Lt. Chuck Christensen, and the MSU Police Department joined later. Michigan State officials launched an internal investigation being headed by Gerald J. Gleeson II of Miller Canfield in Troy.

Police have completed their weeks-long investigation and the report is expected to be sent as early as Friday to prosecutors in Ingham County, home of MSU, and Isabella County, home of Central Michigan, where one of the incidents was alleged to have taken place.
There is no timetable for prosecutors to decide if charges will be filed.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? B99278778Z.1_20150611232555_000_GMAHBURM.1-0
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? Empty Re: MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-06-12, 07:24

Yes it's only softball, but if you're going to have a program (thanks Title IX), try not to suck at it.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? Joseph10

I have no idea how Joseph has held the job to this point, unless you don't mind having a program that sucks at it. I mean, the average B1G record since is 6-13.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? Empty Re: MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink?

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-06-12, 07:56

How do you have a tie in softball?

Also Floyd is right if you're gonna have a girls softball team you have to try to win. Fire these coaches and start over.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 08:04

Floyd Robertson wrote:Yes it's only softball, but if you're going to have a program (thanks Title IX), try not to suck at it.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? Joseph10

I have no idea how Joseph has held the job to this point, unless you don't mind having a program that sucks at it. I mean, the average B1G record since is 6-13.

Fine to have a shitty softball program when the big 3 sports are struggling and need attention. Not ok, when they are stable and you built the softball team a brand new freaking ballpark!

This coach has been milking it for years, and frankly if our men's team can figure it out, no excuse for a coach who uses Recruiting as paid vacations.

Fire her, fire her now
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-12, 08:11

Floyd Robertson wrote:I have no idea how Joseph has held the job to this point, unless you don't mind having a program that sucks at it. I mean, the average B1G record since is 6-13.
I really don't mind having a crappy softball program that every once in awhile makes the NCAA tourney like they have. These lesser sports, though, should never embarrass MSU, so it's time for MSU to clean house.

Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-06-12, 08:23

Giant Moose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I have no idea how Joseph has held the job to this point, unless you don't mind having a program that sucks at it. I mean, the average B1G record since is 6-13.
I really don't mind having a crappy softball program that every once in awhile makes the NCAA tourney like they have. These lesser sports, though, should never embarrass MSU, so it's time for MSU to clean house.

Blanch brought up a good point that I forgot to mention.  That program has nice facilities now.  There's no reason for the program to suck if the coach is competent and not a lazy recruiter.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-12, 08:43

Might be a good time to set up a podcast with TimBo.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-12, 08:43

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Blanch brought up a good point that I forgot to mention.  That program has nice facilities now.  There's no reason for the program to suck if the coach is competent and not a lazy recruiter.
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I didn't realize that MSU softball actually had won a national championship in 1976. No reason for them to be so bad now.

Bring back the pinstripes and winning tradition.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? 1976-AIAW-Team
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-12, 08:52

How much is the HC making? I'm guessing she is cheap and the cost of the team isn't a big part of the budget. Do we really care that much about softball?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 08:53

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

But she is. Uofm just played for a natty title so let's not pretend this isn't a fertile area for recruiting.

Hell, the midwist is chalk full of portly sqatty cornred big girls that want to basically be dudes. No where else in the country is like. While I won't watch, I an excellence demander for this sport
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 08:56

InTenSity wrote:How much is the HC making? I'm guessing she is cheap and the cost of the team isn't a big part of the budget. Do we really care that much about softball?

In a way I do. I would understand if we sucked at lacrosse and even baseball given the recruiting disadvantage, but this isn't NASCAR. The best players are already from the Midwest.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-06-12, 09:00

Fire her for the negative headline asap. Hire a monkey with a funny hat on for all I care. There is no circumstance in which I'm going to pretend to care about the record of the women's softball team.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-12, 09:01

Blanch32 wrote:
InTenSity wrote:How much is the HC making? I'm guessing she is cheap and the cost of the team isn't a big part of the budget. Do we really care that much about softball?

In a way I do. I would understand if we sucked at lacrosse and even baseball given the recruiting disadvantage, but this isn't NASCAR. The best players are already from the Midwest.

Michigan only has 7 Michigan girls on their roster. The best players aren't actually from the Midwest. But, no one expects you to actually know stuff about sports...so, it's all good.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-06-12, 09:02

No.

But like I said earlier, MSU shouldn't have to suck at it.

Data from a couple of years ago says we only spend a $275,000 a year on softball.

• Number of participants: 21
• Scholarships allocated: 12
• Head coach: Jacquie Joseph
• Base salary: $91,090
• Number of assistant coaches: 3
• Combined salaries: $84,220
• Recruiting budget: $27,197.15
• Total expenses: $277,861
• Total revenue: $248,488
• Major facilities expenditures since 2000: $2 million for Secchia Stadium in 2009

http://archive.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130714/GW/307140069/MSU-athletics-Sport-by-sport-history-financial-data

Last edited by Floyd Robertson on 2015-06-12, 09:06; edited 1 time in total
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-12, 09:03

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Fire her for the negative headline asap. Hire a monkey with a funny hat on for all I care. There is no circumstance in which I'm going to pretend to care about the record of the women's softball team.

Firing based on that would get messy. Just fire her for losing.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 09:03

NigelUno wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Michigan only has 7 Michigan girls on their roster. The best players aren't actually from the Midwest. But, no one expects you to actually know stuff about sports...so, it's all good.

OK you caught me. I just don't give a enough of a shit to argue either way. Regardless, your knowledge of women's college softball is impressive, I guess
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 09:05

Now can we find out who that rat of a reporter is so we can bitch slap them?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-12, 09:06

Shocked
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-12, 09:10

Blanch32 wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

OK you caught me. I just don't give a enough of a shit to argue either way. Regardless, your knowledge of women's college softball is impressive, I guess

The best players come from warm weather climates (just like baseball). It doesn't take knowledge of women's softball to know that. It's just common sense...something which you lack. It's OK. I'm sure you're good at something. Actually, I'm not sure about that. Are you good at something?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-06-12, 09:14

What does Garrick Sherman have to say about this?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-06-12, 09:16

Jesus. Front to back, there is absolutely nothing right about that -- not the anonymous sources, not the player going back to her parents and having them tell her to talk to a friend (who happens to work for the State Police), not the failure to have a trainer look at her after she got hit with the second pitch, nothing.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-06-12, 09:18

NigelUno wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Fire her for the negative headline asap. Hire a monkey with a funny hat on for all I care. There is no circumstance in which I'm going to pretend to care about the record of the women's softball team.

Firing based on that would get messy.  Just fire her for losing.  
Well Yeah, I mean, put whatever you want on the HR paperwork. Just get her fired so I can watch a monkey in a funny hat coach a team.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-12, 09:21

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Firing based on that would get messy.  Just fire her for losing.  
Well Yeah, I mean, put whatever you want on the HR paperwork. Just get her fired so I can watch a monkey in a funny hat coach a team.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-12.19.20-PM-190x197

Just watch Michigan football.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-12, 09:23

Giant Moose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I didn't realize that MSU softball actually had won a national championship in 1976. No reason for them to be so bad now.

Bring back the pinstripes and winning tradition.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? 1976-AIAW-Team
I was so in love with Pati Lawson.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-12, 09:24

When they decided to dump $2 million into the softball stadium, did anyone tell them that it floods there? Like a lot?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-12, 09:25

SpartanInNH wrote:Jesus.  Front to back, there is absolutely nothing right about that -- not the anonymous sources, not the player going back to her parents and having them tell her to talk to a friend (who happens to work for the State Police), not the failure to have a trainer look at her after she got hit with the second pitch, nothing.  
And her step-Dad being a former UM kicker.....it was all a mess.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-12, 09:28

LooseGoose wrote:
SpartanInNH wrote:Jesus.  Front to back, there is absolutely nothing right about that -- not the anonymous sources, not the player going back to her parents and having them tell her to talk to a friend (who happens to work for the State Police), not the failure to have a trainer look at her after she got hit with the second pitch, nothing.  
And her step-Dad being a former UM kicker.....it was all a mess.

That's the worst part. I feel bad for her.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 09:30

NigelUno wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

The best players come from warm weather climates (just like baseball). It doesn't take knowledge of women's softball to know that. It's just common sense...something which you lack. It's OK. I'm sure you're good at something. Actually, I'm not sure about that. Are you good at something?

Not true. The south simply doesn't have the snowcows with the same temperament we do. They are too lady like and danty round here
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 09:32

SpartanInNH wrote:Jesus. Front to back, there is absolutely nothing right about that -- not the anonymous sources, not the player going back to her parents and having them tell her to talk to a friend (who happens to work for the State Police), not the failure to have a trainer look at her after she got hit with the second pitch, nothing.

Lack of institutional control?

...and remember the coach of Craig James kid who killed 5 hookers got fire for far less and that was a real sport with a real coach...
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 09:34

NigelUno wrote:When they decided to dump $2 million into the softball stadium, did anyone tell them that it floods there? Like a lot?

Same thing for baseball. Methinks leevies where a part of the upgrades
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-12, 09:49

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? 1-4-71c-49-a001086.0
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-12, 09:51

NigelUno wrote:MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? 1-4-71c-49-a001086.0
Anglers in the Outfield?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-06-12, 11:33

LooseGoose wrote:Police, MSU investigate softball coaches

Player who criticized program alleges head coach gave assistant permission to hit her with pitches

Michigan State Police and Michigan State University officials are investigating allegations a Spartans assistant softball coach twice intentionally hit a player with a pitch, with the head coach's permission, after the player made derogatory comments about the program.

Alyssa McBride, a 22-year-old senior outfielder from Mattawan, said she was hit by two pitches during batting practice near the end of the season. She felt both pitches were aimed at her head, she said. One deeply bruised her left arm and the other struck her wrist.

State Police began the investigation under Detective 1st Lt. Chuck Christensen, and the MSU Police Department joined later. Michigan State officials launched an internal investigation being headed by Gerald J. Gleeson II of Miller Canfield in Troy.

Police have completed their weeks-long investigation and the report is expected to be sent as early as Friday to prosecutors in Ingham County, home of MSU, and Isabella County, home of Central Michigan, where one of the incidents was alleged to have taken place.
There is no timetable for prosecutors to decide if charges will be filed.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? B99278778Z.1_20150611232555_000_GMAHBURM.1-0

That blonde bitch looks nasty, but in a good way
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-06-12, 11:44

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? 1-4-71c-49-a001086.0
Anglers in the Outfield?

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? 1966794946
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-12, 11:59

Brock Middlebrook wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Police, MSU investigate softball coaches

That blonde bitch looks nasty, but in a good way
Growing up around Gillette gave her that look.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-12, 15:43

Why do I get the feeling the coach was blowing Joel Ferguson? He's the only unethical higher up we are stuck with
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-12, 21:42

"I never questioned whether or not my kid was being well taken care of," said Tracie Stoffer, the mother of catcher and outfielder Ellie Stoffer. "They do a great job of keeping an eye on them mentally, physically, emotionally. … The things they've done to take care of kids are just out of this world."

"Jessica was definitely more of the softer-edged maternal one of the two," Tracie Stoffer continued. "She's a mother, she's got a young child, she's got a beautiful young family, and you can tell when you observe them that she's a great mom, and you can see that side of her (as a coach). My daughter would tell me she loved the way coach Bograkos (coached), she related to her more on that mom-daughter level. A kind soul for sure."

Tracie Stoffer did not want to criticize McBride, but said her daughter had also been hit by pitches in batting practice and that it wasn't uncommon, counter to what the News reported from McBride and several unnamed sources.

"There was definitely talk by some of the families on the team that they wanted to get coach (Joseph) fired," Stoffer said. "That was their goal, because of her lack of her coaching ability, her losing record."

Ex-MSU softball player's allegations spur investigation
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-12, 23:02

Sorry, LG, not buying it. I'm buying the story of the blonde, because she's kinda hot. Then again, I haven't seen pics of TimBo's wife so I will reserve judgement until I've seen those. I HAVE seen pictures of the HC, though, and let me just say #TeamMcBride
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-06-12, 23:08

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Sorry, LG, not buying it. I'm buying the story of the blonde, because she's kinda hot. Then again, I haven't seen pics of TimBo's wife so I will reserve judgement until I've seen those. I HAVE seen pictures of the HC, though, and let me just say #TeamMcBride

It's this kind of analysis that makes Suzy Merchant #CoachForLife
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-06-12, 23:43

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next