Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lions drop 97.1 because the station wouldn't fire Valenti

+3
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
DWags
7 posters

Go down

The Lions drop 97.1 because the station wouldn't fire Valenti Empty The Lions drop 97.1 because the station wouldn't fire Valenti

Post by DWags 2015-11-20, 17:40

Couldn't be an organization more fucked up than that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Lions drop 97.1 because the station wouldn't fire Valenti Empty Re: The Lions drop 97.1 because the station wouldn't fire Valenti

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-20, 17:50

Not surprised, Keith Olbermann gave a great op-ed on his show the other year about f'd up it is that a lot of sports teams are trying to control the narrative and blocking reporters they don't like.

From their perspective why would they give money to a station with a blowhard that just rips them on their show.

I watched the 60 Minutes piece last week on concussions in the NFL and compared to League of Denial I thought they were being VERY careful to not piss off the NFL in their segment. They can't, the NFL makes them too much money.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The Lions drop 97.1 because the station wouldn't fire Valenti Empty Re: The Lions drop 97.1 because the station wouldn't fire Valenti

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-11-20, 18:31

The announcers for all of Detroit' major sports teams are given talking points for every broadcast and many flagship stations are no longer 24/7 Sports Talk so they don't have business relationships with stations the might be critical.

Here in GR the Lions are now on a classic rock station and as we saw they went back to WJR where Paul W. Smith is the king of the softball.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-20, 19:01

GRR Spartan wrote:The announcers for all of Detroit' major sports teams are given talking points for every broadcast and many flagship stations are no longer 24/7 Sports Talk so they don't have business relationships with stations the might be critical.

Here in GR the Lions are now on a classic rock station and as we saw they went back to WJR where Paul W. Smith is the king of the softball.

Supposedly one of the factors for getting rid of Simmons and olbermann from ESPN were because of how critical they were of gooddell. This is Corporate media folks. I'm betting Kraft would do the same thing as the lions did to the station if a blowhard was ripping them in the Boston market. As acdc said listen to the money talk.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-11-20, 20:15

Fuck the Lions, fuck the NFL.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-11-20, 21:06

Link?
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-20, 21:09

SpartanInNH wrote:Link?

Any Detroit newspaper.

I don't mean to be rude. I just don't want to do your work for you. Do it yourself.

Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-20, 21:11

Also, I watched the 79 championship game awhile back. I definitely took note of how brutal the announcers were toward the refs and realized that I had never really heard anything like that. The relationship that leagues, teams, etc have with broadcasters and stations is a shame. It's the difference between "well, that call was absolute garbage" and "that may have been a bad call. Not sure. Maybe. Let's go talk to Mike Perreira for awhile."
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-11-20, 21:56

So is Valenti ok now? Props to the station at least for not giving in.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-20, 22:03

Heat Miser wrote:So is Valenti ok now? Props to the station at least for not giving in.

Valenti has always been whatever, fine, in my opinion. It's the weirdos like the dude who are all "Omg Valenti said this!!! If you'll excuse me for a moment....The Lions drop 97.1 because the station wouldn't fire Valenti 3434560931" that are the strange people to me. Personally I don't really care what any radio hosts have to say since it is all just for ratings.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-20, 22:39

Heat Miser wrote:So is Valenti ok now? Props to the station at least for not giving in.

Don't care one way or the other about Valenti but I just think attempted censorship is bull shit. Win and nobody can talk shit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-20, 22:45

DWags wrote:

Don't care one way or the other about Valenti but I just think attempted censorship is bull shit. Win and nobody can talk shit.

People dominate message boards all the time but it doesn't stop nedgo and rocky from deleting their shit.

Sorry, you said one of those key words triggers that requires a mention of message board overlords.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-20, 22:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:

People dominate message boards all the time but it doesn't stop nedgo and rocky from deleting their shit.

Sorry, you said one of those key words triggers that requires a mention of message board overlords.

That's why I'm such a good mod. They've given me no tools to delete and if they did, I wouldn't know how to use them.

But I still want a hat.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-20, 22:55

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

That's why I'm such a good mod. They've given me no tools to delete and if they did, I wouldn't know how to use them.

But I still want a hat.

How has no one gotten this asshole a hat yet?

Christmas is coming. Pm me your address. I'm starting a go fund me if I have to.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-11-20, 22:57

Mike Valenti has done okay. He went from Lansing radio to a top 20 market and has never looked back. He understands the medium, knows what attracts listeners and if that happens the ad dollars follow.

Valenti is right when he says 97.1 made a business decision to keep him rather than keep the Lions and lose him as an on air personality. The station makes a lot more in ad sales for his 4 hours, 5 day a week for about 48 weeks a year compared to airing the games of what has been a dreadful football team.

The Lions aren't alone. Its just most NFL franchises aren't so ham handed when they switch radio affiliates.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down