Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nate update: 92%

+9
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
Blanch32
Other Teams Pursuing That
tTy
InTenSity
DWags
Vlad
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nate update: 92% Empty Nate update: 92%

Post by Vlad 2015-11-22, 20:50

Win out and 92% chance we're in, as per Nate. (This is pre-Tuesday's rankings. He will update again Tue night.)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-spartans-shift-up-updated-college-football-playoff-predictions-week-12/
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Nate update: 92% Empty Re: Nate update: 92%

Post by DWags 2015-11-22, 21:23

Vlad wrote:Win out and 92% chance we're in, as per Nate. (This is pre-Tuesday's rankings. He will update again Tue night.)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-spartans-shift-up-updated-college-football-playoff-predictions-week-12/

So if we were undefeated do you think we might have made it?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-22, 21:34

DWags wrote:
Vlad wrote:Win out and 92% chance we're in, as per Nate. (This is pre-Tuesday's rankings. He will update again Tue night.)

Doubtful. No quality losses.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-22, 22:50

DWags wrote:

Didn't we already have this conversation? Yeah, we did.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-22, 23:01

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

So? Do you think we would make it if we were undefeated?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-11-22, 23:02

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

Rhetorical questions don't need to be answered... especially by the person posing them.

You understand that, right? Probably not.

#SelfGiggle
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-11-23, 02:18

OTPT update: 100%
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-11-23, 08:55

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

Vlad, it's like these dudes just.....dont.....get it. Love how they are trying to use hindsight as some kind of proof instead of even attempting the math...
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-23, 09:12

I wasn't good at math. So, if we were undefeated would we get into the playoffs? Some guys were willing to put 100 bucks up saying no way we would, even at 13-0. I thought that maybe was taking a huge chance. But maybe I was wrong. So, Do you think we would have been in at 13-0? Or would it have been easier for us to get in at 12-1
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 09:21

DWags wrote:I wasn't good at math. So, if we were undefeated would we get into the playoffs? Some guys were willing to put 100 bucks up saying no way we would, even at 13-0. I thought that maybe was taking a huge chance. But maybe I was wrong. So, Do you think we would have been in at 13-0? Or would it have been easier for us to get in at 12-1

I used math to figure out what odds I would need to give, to make a dumbass take my bet.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 09:49

DWags wrote:I wasn't good at math. So, if we were undefeated would we get into the playoffs?  Some guys were willing to put 100 bucks up saying no way we would, even at 13-0.  I thought that maybe was taking a huge chance.   But maybe I was wrong.  So, Do you think we would have been in at 13-0?  Or would it have been easier for us to get in at 12-1

Wrong, the $100 were risked in exchange for a chance at $10,000, with (at that time) roughly a 13% chance of winning (not "no way"), per Nate Silver. Seems that you're having a hard time grasping the diffrence between a sure-thing bet and a good bet based on the risk/return.

Imagine you're standing at a slot machine in Vegas. You have a $100 coin you're willing to lose as you head back to the airport. The slot machine in front you gives you a 13% chance of winning $10,000 if you just drop the $100. Would you pull the trigger? Yeah, you would.  Or at least you should. I'll take a chance at $10,000 any day if all I'm being asked to risk is beer money and have at least a measurable chance of winning.

The mistake Nigel made, which makes him really dumb, is that he didn't ask me to put any skin in the game. $100? Really?? In exchanges for a slim shot at $10,000? Oh yeah!

In the end, I don't think he would've paid up anyway, so the entire bet was sort of silly.  I don't think Nigel is an honorable person. But if he IS an honorable man, I'm open to a new wager just before the final CFP rankings comes out. Let's see where we end up after the BTT game. If there are 6 or 7 teams competing for the 4 spots, it might be worth a risk.

Nigel, think of something good. Make my day.

Last edited by Vlad on 2015-11-23, 09:52; edited 1 time in total
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-23, 09:51

I'm going to stab all of you.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-11-23, 09:52

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:I wasn't good at math. So, if we were undefeated would we get into the playoffs?  Some guys were willing to put 100 bucks up saying no way we would, even at 13-0.  I thought that maybe was taking a huge chance.   But maybe I was wrong.  So, Do you think we would have been in at 13-0?  Or would it have been easier for us to get in at 12-1

Wrong, the $100 were risked in exchange for a chance at $10,000, with (at that time) roughly a 13% chance of winning (not "no way"), per Nate Silver. Seems that you're having a hard time grasping the diffrence between a sure-thing bet and a good bet based on the risk/return.

Imagine you're standing at a slot machine in Vegas. You have a $100 coin you're willing to lose as you head back to the airport. The slot machine in front you gives you a 13% chance of winning $10,000 if you just drop the $100. Would you pull the trigger? Yeah, you would.  Or at least you should. I'll take a chance at $10,000 any day if all I'm being asked to risk is beer money.

The mistake Nigel made, which makes him really dumb, is that he didn't ask me to put any skin in the game. $100? Really?? In exchanges for a slim shot at $10,000? Oh yeah!

In the end, I don't think he would've paid up anyway, so the entire bet was sort of silly.  I don't think Nigel is an honorable person. But if he IS an honorable man, I'm open to a new wager just before the final poll comes out. Let's see where we end up after the BTT game.

Nate update: 92% 58799859
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 09:53

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Imagine you're standing at a slot machine in Vegas. You have a $100 coin you're willing to lose as you head back to the airport. The slot machine in front you gives you a 13% chance of winning $10,000 if you just drop the $100. Would you pull the trigger? Yeah, you would.  Or at least you should. I'll take a chance at $10,000 any day if all I'm being asked to risk is beer money.

In the end, I don't think he would've paid up anyway, so the entire bet was sort of silly.  I don't think Nigel is an honorable person. But if he IS an honorable man, I'm open to a new wager just before the final poll comes out. Let's see where we end up after the BTT game.

Nate update: 92% 58799859

Cute, but can you point out the backtrack? You might want to go back and read the posts. I said back then that I had a very slim chance, but the terms were too good to refuse.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-23, 09:54

Nate Silvers - a proud graduate of East Lansing High School.. Nate update: 92% 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-11-23, 09:56

Nah, we all know what you said. You're one of those guys that always sees the glass pretty much all the way empty. We all get that. Carry on.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 09:57

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Nah, we all know what you said. You're one of those guys that always sees the glass pretty much all the way empty. We all get that. Carry on.

Lazy fella.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-23, 10:01

so, could Vlad or anyone in here tell me, Will it be easier getting in at 12-1 than it would have been at 13-0?

This is all confusing to me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 10:06

Vlad wrote:

Imagine you're standing at a slot machine in Vegas. You have a $100 coin you're willing to lose as you head back to the airport. The slot machine in front you gives you a 13% chance of winning $10,000 if you just drop the $100. Would you pull the trigger? Yeah, you would.  Or at least you should. I'll take a chance at $10,000 any day if all I'm being asked to risk is beer money and have at least a measurable chance of winning.

In the end, I don't think he would've paid up anyway, so the entire bet was sort of silly.  I don't think Nigel is an honorable person. But if he IS an honorable man, I'm open to a new wager just before the final CFP rankings comes out. Let's see where we end up after the BTT game. If there are 6 or 7 teams competing for the 4 spots, it might be worth a risk.

Are you going to pay off on our bet? It would be the honorable thing to do.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-23, 10:16

So, I'm not good at stats and stuff. Is it easier to get into the playoffs at 12-1 or 13-0 if you're MSU?

TIA
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 10:22

DWags wrote:So, I'm not good at stats and stuff.  Is it easier to get into the playoffs at 12-1 or 13-0 if you're MSU?

TIA

Dumb question.  But I think what you're really asking is "Do you still think we could miss the playoffs if we win the remaining two games?" The statistical answer is yes, as Nate's numbers show.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 10:23

NigelUno wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Are you going to pay off on our bet?  It would be the honorable thing to do.  

If we make the playoffs, I'm more than willing to contribute $100 to Evan's fund.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-23, 10:34

So, can somebody tell me if it would be easier for a 13-0 MSU team to get into the playoffs than a 12-1 MSU team? Seems obvious to me, but the MSU team with 1 loss seems to be turning some guys heads more than our team did when we were undefeated.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 11:16

DWags wrote:

It was a sucker bet. Vlad fell for it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-23, 11:31

DWags wrote:So, can somebody tell me if it would be easier for a 13-0 MSU team to get into the playoffs than a 12-1 MSU team? Seems obvious to me, but the MSU team with 1 loss seems to be turning some guys heads more than our team did when we were undefeated.

That actually makes sense. Just because now we're in the last week of the season. Back when we were undefeated there was still plenty of time to go and we still had to get past our biggest hurdle, which we did this weekend
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-11-23, 12:55

Vlad wrote:

So now the undefeated and not getting in scenario is (was) back up to 13%?  First you said it was 15%.  Then when you were getting owned in that thread, you dropped it to 7-8%.  Now you're saying it was 13%?

It seems that as the facts have played out, it has effectively been proven that you would have been wrong and there was a 0% chance that we would not have made the playoffs with an undefeated record.  Hell, Iowa moved up to #5 by the second CFP poll, so if we hadn't lost to Nebraska, we would have been no worse than #5 with OSU ahead of us (before playing them).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 13:02

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Vlad wrote:

So now the undefeated and not getting in scenario is (was) back up to 13%?  First you said it was 15%.  Then when you were getting owned in that thread, you dropped it to 7-8%.  Now you're saying it was 13%?

It seems that as the facts have played out, it has effectively been proven that you would have been wrong and there was a 0% chance that we would not have made the playoffs with an undefeated record.  Hell, Iowa moved up to #5 by the second CFP poll, so if we hadn't lost to Nebraska, we would have been no worse than #5 with OSU ahead of us (before playing them).

It was a sucker bet. He fell for it.

If not...then, I'm sure he would be open to a similar bet on a 12-1 MSU making the playoff. Or not making the playoff (in his case).

Sometimes, the best part about making a sucker bet with someone...is that they don't know it was a sucker bet. Seems to be the case here, which makes it likely he'll bet me (or anyone) on MSU making it with a 12-1 record.

So, let us all know, Vlad.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-11-23, 14:01

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

It was a sucker bet. He fell for it.

If not...then, I'm sure he would be open to a similar bet on a 12-1 MSU making the playoff. Or not making the playoff (in his case).

Sometimes, the best part about making a sucker bet with someone...is that they don't know it was a sucker bet. Seems to be the case here, which makes it likely he'll bet me (or anyone) on MSU making it with a 12-1 record.

To be fair, Vlad has said for two weeks that he would still pay up on the bet if a 1 loss MSU team makes the playoff. Credit to him for that!

He even said it in this very thread, so I'm not sure what kind of "gotcha" you're going for by trying to bring up the bet again, other than trying to get attention by making a new bet out of it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-23, 14:05

I don't know that we win Saturday, certainly don't know that we beat Iowa, but my point is, you can throw all the 13% chance or whatever you want around. But if you looked at the landscape and saw that MSU beat UofM at their place, beat oregon would have to beat OSU then an undefeated or one loss Iowa and actually could say that we wouldn't get in the playoffs, you were not taking a chance on winning 10K, you were saying "here's a hundy, do what you will with it."

Seriously, an undefeated MSU not getting in. Think about htat.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 14:07

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It was a sucker bet.  He fell for it.

If not...then, I'm sure he would be open to a similar bet on a 12-1 MSU making the playoff.  Or not making the playoff (in his case).  

Sometimes, the best part about making a sucker bet with someone...is that they don't know it was a sucker bet.  Seems to be the case here, which makes it likely he'll bet me (or anyone) on MSU making it with a 12-1 record.  

To be fair, Vlad has said for two weeks that he would still pay up on the bet if a 1 loss MSU team makes the playoff.  Credit to him for that!

He even said it in this very thread, so I'm not sure what kind of "gotcha" you're going for by trying to bring up the bet again, other than trying to get attention by making a new bet out of it.  

He said he was open to making another bet after calling me "dumb" for making the first bet.  Seems like he's the one seeking attention...he wants to make another bet.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 14:08

DWags wrote:I don't know that we win Saturday, certainly don't know that we beat Iowa, but my point is, you can throw all the 13% chance or whatever you want around. But if you looked at the landscape and saw that MSU beat UofM at their place, beat oregon would have to beat OSU then an undefeated or one loss Iowa and actually could say that we wouldn't get in the playoffs, you were not taking a chance on winning 10K, you were saying "here's a hundy, do what you will with it."

Seriously, an undefeated MSU not getting in. Think about htat.

Sucker bet. He fell for it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-11-23, 14:14

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:I wasn't good at math. So, if we were undefeated would we get into the playoffs? Some guys were willing to put 100 bucks up saying no way we would, even at 13-0. I thought that maybe was taking a huge chance. But maybe I was wrong. So, Do you think we would have been in at 13-0? Or would it have been easier for us to get in at 12-1

I used math to figure out what odds I would need to give, to make a dumbass take my bet.

No, no you didn't not. The odds where never a perfect whole number. You also called the cook injury the "greatest cover up of all time" simply bc I wasn't reported by the media bf the game
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-11-23, 14:15

DWags wrote:So, can somebody tell me if it would be easier for a 13-0 MSU team to get into the playoffs than a 12-1 MSU team? Seems obvious to me, but the MSU team with 1 loss seems to be turning some guys heads more than our team did when we were undefeated.

You keep looking at things in a vacuum. That doesn't work
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-11-23, 14:34

Vlad wrote:

If we make the playoffs, I'm more than willing to contribute $100 to Evan's fund.

NigelUno wrote:
He said he was open to making another bet after calling me "dumb" for making the first bet.  Seems like he's the one seeking attention...he wants to make another bet.

He said straight up, without even calling on any other side of the bet, that he would pay if MSU makes the playoffs. He's said it in a couple of other threads, as well. But even after he says that, you're still asking him if he's willing to wager. Not saying that he's not seeking attention (that's probably 75% of the reason he says the stupid shit that he says), but he says he'll donate without even asking you to put up anything against it, and you're still asking him about some stupid ass bet.

You should BOTH contribute $100 regardless of what happens, just for making us all suffer through the obsession that you two have over this inane bet.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 15:07

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Vlad wrote:

NigelUno wrote:

He said straight up, without even calling on any other side of the bet, that he would pay if MSU makes the playoffs.  He's said it in a couple of other threads, as well.  But even after he says that, you're still asking him if he's willing to wager.  Not saying that he's not seeking attention (that's probably 75% of the reason he says the stupid shit that he says), but he says he'll donate without even asking you to put up anything against it, and you're still asking him about some stupid ass bet.

You should BOTH contribute $100 regardless of what happens, just for making us all suffer through the obsession that you two have over this inane bet.

Err...thank you Miami...sort of.  I love you

Now kiss my ass.  cheers
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 16:04

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Vlad wrote:

NigelUno wrote:

He said straight up, without even calling on any other side of the bet, that he would pay if MSU makes the playoffs. He's said it in a couple of other threads, as well. But even after he says that, you're still asking him if he's willing to wager. Not saying that he's not seeking attention (that's probably 75% of the reason he says the stupid shit that he says), but he says he'll donate without even asking you to put up anything against it, and you're still asking him about some stupid ass bet.

He said he wanted me to come up with another bet. Did you miss that post?

Sorry you have to read the posts.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-11-23, 17:06

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

And after that, even when you didn't answer on a new bet, he said he'd donate if we made the playoffs. And long before this thread at all (in other threads, even as far back as 2 weeks ago) he said he'd donate if we made the playoffs without asking anyone to bet against him.

Forget your stupid, petty bet, both of you. I have been at odds with Vlad for 20 years, but he's gone on record as willing to donate to this sick kid if MSU makes the playoffs, regardless of whether there is a bet against him or not. I'll give respect where it's due.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 17:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

And after that, even when you didn't answer on a new bet, he said he'd donate if we made the playoffs.  And long before this thread at all (in other threads, even as far back as 2 weeks ago) he said he'd donate if we made the playoffs without asking anyone to bet against him.

Forget your stupid, petty bet, both of you.  I have been at odds with Vlad for 20 years, but he's gone on record as willing to donate to this sick kid if MSU makes the playoffs, regardless of whether there is a bet against him or not. I'll give respect where it's due.

Likewise Miami, I'll give respect to anyone who's been around for 20 years, butting heads with me.

Cheers!
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-11-23, 18:22

So is Nigel going to be offering 100-1 odds on an 8% bet this week. How about just 50-1 now that the odds are lower of making it with one loss than zero.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 18:26

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

And after that, even when you didn't answer on a new bet, he said he'd donate if we made the playoffs. And long before this thread at all (in other threads, even as far back as 2 weeks ago) he said he'd donate if we made the playoffs without asking anyone to bet against him.

Forget your stupid, petty bet, both of you. I have been at odds with Vlad for 20 years, but he's gone on record as willing to donate to this sick kid if MSU makes the playoffs, regardless of whether there is a bet against him or not. I'll give respect where it's due.

He can donate regardless of the bet.

And the genesis of donating any proceeds to charity came from me (a condition which I agreed to at 100%...he would only pledge 50%).

For all his talk about how "dumb" my bet was, he was unwilling to pony up for more.

Any further bet winnings on my end would all go to charity.

If he's interested at the odds/percentages he seems to be touting, I'm willing.

12.5/1? Is that it? Let me know Vlad.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next