Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's not that big of a deal if Nebraska beats Iowa, right?

+10
NigelUno
Rocinante
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
Vlad
GRR Spartan
Death Roe
InTenSity
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bolt It's not that big of a deal if Nebraska beats Iowa, right?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-11-23, 14:47

With regards to our playoff hopes.

Right?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bolt Re: It's not that big of a deal if Nebraska beats Iowa, right?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-23, 14:49

I don't think it would matter that much.

It wouldn't be the greatest thing in the world, but I think our resume at this point would stand up on its own and we don't need one more big win like that.

FYI- Vladi disagrees.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-23, 14:50

It shouldn't be, but then again Iowa would probably drop to about 12, in the polls. I think if they stayed in the top 10, then it doesn't matter that much. I still think that no matter what, MSU's resume looks good on paper now. Most likely with (I'm assuming we win out) 3-4 wins over top 15 opponents, at the very least top 20. If the committee is looking blind first, I just don't know how they could keep us out. If Nebraska wins, that also makes most of our opponents .500 or better.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-23, 14:51

Haven't thought about it. As a fan, I know my job is to prepare to type about whomever shows up. On the one hand, I'd love to take down an undefeated Iowa. On the hand, I'd love to show everyone that the Nebby loss was because of a bad call. On the other hand, I don't know if it's even Nebraska we'd face in the BTCG. On the other hand, I'll wait to see what Valentines tells me to think.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-23, 14:53

tGreenWay wrote:Haven't thought about it. As a fan, I know my job is to prepare to type about whomever shows up. On the one hand, I'd love to take down an undefeated Iowa. On the hand, I'd love to show everyone that the Nebby loss was because of a bad call. On the other hand, I don't know if it's even Nebraska we'd face in the BTCG. On the other hand, I'll wait to see what Valentines tells me to think.

How many hands do you have you fucking freak? Fuck you. That's creepy.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2015-11-23, 14:53

Vlad hopes it happens, so he won't have to pay that bet to Nigel.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-11-23, 14:54

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:With regards to our playoff hopes.

Right?

None at all - it's a win/win for us. Iowa win makes them an undefeated foe to vanquish. Neb win makes our loss look better and leaves Iowa with still only 1 loss.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-23, 14:55

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Haven't thought about it. As a fan, I know my job is to prepare to type about whomever shows up. On the one hand, I'd love to take down an undefeated Iowa. On the hand, I'd love to show everyone that the Nebby loss was because of a bad call. On the other hand, I don't know if it's even Nebraska we'd face in the BTCG. On the other hand, I'll wait to see what Valentines tells me to think.

I'm old enough now to have been poisoned by PBBs in my milk as a small child. I have many additional appendages that you younger folk do not.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-23, 14:59

tGreenWay wrote:

I'm old enough now to have been poisoned by PBBs in my milk as a small child. I have many additional appendages that you younger folk do not.  

How many penis?

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on 2015-11-23, 14:59; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-11-23, 14:59

It will matter if MSU gets to Indy and wins or gets beat by a one loss Iowa team.

If MSU beats a one loss Iowa team there will be loud voices racked with Big 12 guilt from leaving Baylor out in '14 in the room reminding the voters about MSU's quasi-win in aa and if OU beats OK State and ND beats Stanford MSU could be out in the cold.

The wags are already talking about a 2 loss umaa team jumping a 1 loss Iowa team if OSU falls in aa and MSU beats a 12-0 Iowa to have a Stanford / umaa Rose Bowl.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2015-11-23, 15:00; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 14:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't think it would matter that much.

It wouldn't be the greatest thing  in the world, but I think our resume at this point would stand up on its own and we don't need one more big win like that.

FYI- Vladi disagrees.

Yes, it's potentially a big deal. We will never know for sure, but it's potentially a big deal.

It ain't that hard fellas - a couple of teams are gonna get screwed on that final selection day. Unless all the chips fall absolutely perfectly such that there are four obvious candidates, you're looking at 6 teams competing for 4 spots. So everying will be in play. EVERYTHING.

As things stand today, and IF the chips falls as we 'think' they'll fall, two spots will be occupied by Clemson and Bama. Then you have MSU, OU, ND (potentially). So one team already gets the shaft there.

Every little thing can matter.  A little bit.

Last edited by Vlad on 2015-11-23, 15:11; edited 1 time in total
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-23, 15:01

I think we want them undefeated. Not sure we want to leave our fate in the hands of a bunch of committee nerds.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-23, 15:01

tGreenWay wrote:

Hoe many penis?

Several, but they're all tiny. If you added them all up together they might equal one average-sized penis.
Of course, people are going to get weirded out if you practice penis math.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-23, 15:04

tGreenWay wrote:

Hoe many penis?

Several, but they're all tiny. If you added them all up together they might equal one average-sized penis.

Those are my favorite story problems! "If Greenway has 4 penis in his orifices and 2 of the gentleman finish and leave the room how many penis remain in greenways orifices?"
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-23, 15:05

On Tuesday, if we're 5 or better, it won't matter if Iowa loses.

I believe Iowa will be top 4, if they aren't We might very well be.

If they lose to Nebraska and we're 5 and we win, we'll occupy their spot.

if they beat Nebraska and remain top 4 and we pull up at 5 or so, and we beat them in the BTCCG, we'll take their spot.

I'd be shocked if we're lower than 5 or 6 this week. If we are, fuck it, I quit guessing.

Last edited by DWags on 2015-11-23, 15:09; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-23, 15:07

GRR Spartan wrote:It will matter if MSU gets to Indy and wins or gets beat by a one loss Iowa team.

If MSU beats a one loss Iowa team there will be loud voices racked with Big 12 guilt from leaving Baylor out in '14 in the room reminding the voters about MSU's quasi-win in aa and if OU beats OK State and ND beats Stanford MSU could be out in the cold.

The wags are already talking about a 2 loss umaa team jumping a 1 loss Iowa team if OSU falls in aa and MSU beats a 12-0 Iowa to have a Stanford / umaa Rose Bowl.
I think its going to come down to B12 or ND. It will be interesting to see what happens. ND's best win is a loss at Clemson. I think they are ultimately left out, they can join a conference if they want a better chance, and this could force their hand.
Clemson
Bama
MSU
OK
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-23, 15:08

tGreenWay wrote:

Those are my favorite story problems! "If Greenway has 4 penis in his orifices and 2 of the gentleman finish and leave the room how many penis remain in greenways orifices?"

As I told GRR in another thread, I was told there'd be no math. But since I have to run a couple of errands now, I promise to think about the penises in my orifices, because I like making you happy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-23, 15:08

ND better become huge UF, Aubby and USC(e) fans.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-11-23, 15:10

ND is smoke and mirrors and has been all year. Fuck them.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-11-23, 15:18

ND over Stanford is no gimme and either is Sooner over the Cowboys.

They both lose and things get clearer.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-23, 15:20

GRR Spartan wrote:ND over Stanford is no gimme and either is Sooner over the Cowboys.

Then throw in team chaos, and things can get fun.
FSU over UF, but UF over Bama in the SECCG.
OKSt over OK, and TCU over Baylor.
USC over Clemson, then UNC beats Clemson.

The whole committee quits.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-23, 15:23

InTenSity wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:ND over Stanford is no gimme and either is Sooner over the Cowboys.

Then throw in team chaos, and things can get fun.
FSU over UF, but UF over Bama in the SECCG.
OKSt over OK, and TCU over Baylor.
USC over Clemson, then UNC beats Clemson.

The whole committee quits.
Florida is just begging to lose.. I think Clemson will be vulnerable against UNC. I think the Tarheels are pretty good.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-23, 15:30

All questions will be answered on Tuesday night. No more speculation. If Iowa and MSU are both in the top 6, we're in. If Not, then we'll need help. Especially if Iowa is in the top 4 this week, or lord help us, if we're in the top 4 this week. At that point, just win and were in.

I'd love to see us at 5 and Iowa at 3. Then I know everything is in front of us, and we have only ourselves to blame. If we're still 7 or 8 or what ever, we'll be hard pressed to get in in my opinion.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 15:55

DWags wrote:All questions will be answered on Tuesday night.  No more speculation.  If Iowa and MSU are both in the top 6, we're in.   If Not, then we'll need help.  Especially if Iowa is in the top 4 this week, or lord help us, if we're in the top 4 this week.  At  that point, just win and were in.  

I'd love to see us at 5 and Iowa at 3.  Then I know everything is in front of us, and we have only ourselves to blame.  If we're still 7 or 8 or what ever, we'll be hard pressed to get in in my opinion.

We'll be no worse than 6 tomorrow night.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 15:58

A new game of:

WHAT CAN GO WRONG?

Awesome.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-23, 16:47

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:All questions will be answered on Tuesday night.  No more speculation.  If Iowa and MSU are both in the top 6, we're in.   If Not, then we'll need help.  Especially if Iowa is in the top 4 this week, or lord help us, if we're in the top 4 this week.  At  that point, just win and were in.  

I'd love to see us at 5 and Iowa at 3.  Then I know everything is in front of us, and we have only ourselves to blame.  If we're still 7 or 8 or what ever, we'll be hard pressed to get in in my opinion.

We'll be no worse than 6 tomorrow night.

If Iowa is in the top 4 and we're 5 or 6 if they lose this weekend we'll move up. If they win and we beat them the following week, we're in. The committee would have to really do some mental gymnastics to keep us out.

Oh and I realize they're capable of doing it. But it will be a stretch.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-11-23, 16:55

Supposedly the committee cares what your opponents are ranked when you play them. So yeah. It matters. Defeating two teams who were in the top four when we played them would be hard for any other team to match resume wise.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-23, 16:56

kingstonlake wrote:Supposedly the committee cares what your opponents are ranked when you play them. So yeah. It matters. Defeating two teams who were in the top four when we played them would be hard for any other team to match resume wise.
This doesn't make any sense.
LSU was #2 and undefeated when Bama beat them, but now they are on a 3 game losing streak, about to fire their HC and unranked. That means they really weren't the #2 team in the nation. Where the teams are ranked at the end of the year should carry more weight.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-11-23, 17:07

InTenSity wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Supposedly the committee cares what your opponents are ranked when you play them. So yeah. It matters. Defeating two teams who were in the top four when we played them would be hard for any other team to match resume wise.
LSU was #2 and undefeated when Bama beat them, but now they are on a 3 game losing streak, about to fire their HC and unranked. That means they really weren't the #2 team in the nation. Where the teams are ranked at the end of the year should carry more weight.

I'm not sure that makes any more sense either though. The reason LSU fell from #2 is because Bama knocked 'em off. Hard. Maybe that contributed to their skid.  So essentially you're penalizing Bama for beating #2 LSU.

Similarly, when we beat Oregon they were ranked where they were ranked. The fact that we knocked 'em off probably helped to throw them off their game (and it certainly hurt their QB more). So it's a bit of revisionist history to say "well, they really weren't that good."

Shit, someone could look at OSU today and say "they lost to MSU without Cook, so they really weren't that good."  Not sure I buy into that logic.

You play who you play on a given day.  THAT ranking should matter.  What happens later on in the season may well be a byproduct of what you did to 'em.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-23, 18:25

Vlad wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

I'm not sure that makes any more sense either though. The reason LSU fell from #2 is because Bama knocked 'em off. Hard. Maybe that contributed to their skid.  So essentially you're penalizing Bama for beating #2 LSU.

Similarly, when we beat Oregon they were ranked where they were ranked. The fact that we knocked 'em off probably helped to throw them off their game (and it certainly hurt their QB more). So it's a bit of revisionist history to say "well, they really weren't that good."

Shit, someone could look at OSU today and say "they lost to MSU without Cook, so they really weren't that good."  Not sure I buy into that logic.

You play who you play on a given day.  THAT ranking should matter.  What happens later on in the season may well be a byproduct of what you did to 'em.

I guarantee there will be plenty of geniuses saying and writing exactly that.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-11-23, 21:53

OSU is going to become TCU or whatever #15 team if they lose to UM, but we still have the win over UM so that can't hurt much anyway.
As for Iowa, I don't know how big a factor they are in Nate's 92% number but I would guess not more than a couple of points.
The big one looks like ND-Stanford. If Stanford wins that I think it goes up to 99%+. If ND wins, Iowa loses and everything else went wrong it could get down to the 70% range and we would be sweating it out with 3 spots for two teams between Big 12 and ND.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 22:16

Herbie Green wrote:OSU is going to become TCU or whatever #15 team if they lose to UM, but we still have the win over UM so that can't hurt much anyway.
As for Iowa, I don't know how big a factor they are in Nate's 92% number but I would guess not more than a couple of points.
The big one looks like ND-Stanford. If Stanford wins that I think it goes up to 99%+. If ND wins, Iowa loses and everything else went wrong it could get down to the 70% range and we would be sweating it out with 3 spots for two teams between Big 12 and ND.

It's not that big of a deal if Nebraska beats Iowa, right? 502811600

If we win out, we are in. End of story. Just stop with the nonsense.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-11-23, 22:28

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:OSU is going to become TCU or whatever #15 team if they lose to UM, but we still have the win over UM so that can't hurt much anyway.

If we win out, we are in. End of story. Just stop with the nonsense.

92% isn't a guarantee and that number goes dowm if outcomes work against us. I know that might be difficult for you to understand. But don't waste our time with smilies if you don't have the intellectual capacity to contribute to the discussion.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 22:34

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

If we win out, we are in.  End of story.  Just stop with the nonsense.  

92% isn't a guarantee and that number goes dowm if outcomes work against us.  I know that might be difficult for you to understand. But don't waste our time with smilies if you don't have the intellectual capacity to contribute to the discussion.

Wait.  Because some guy says it's 92%, that means it's 92%?

What were the odds that OSU was going to make it last week?

And you're the guy that came up with numerous ways that we wouldn't make the playoffs, but wouldn't associate any odds or percentages with ALL of the conditions you came up with.

Do you want to make a bet?

The odds at 92% are 12.5/1. Want to make a bet with 25/1 odds? Let me know.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-11-23, 22:55

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

92% isn't a guarantee and that number goes dowm if outcomes work against us.  I know that might be difficult for you to understand. But don't waste our time with smilies if you don't have the intellectual capacity to contribute to the discussion.

And you're the guy that came up with numerous ways that we wouldn't make the playoffs, but wouldn't associate any odds or percentages with ALL of the conditions you came up with.

You want to offer a bet where the payout is double what the odds predicate?

That is really stupid and what some of us have been trying to explain to you.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 23:06

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

OK...let's try 15/1 odds then. I don't want you to think I'm really stupid.

If MSU wins out and makes the playoff, you will donate $100 to the charity of my choice.
If MSU wins out and does not make the playoff, I will donate $1500 to the charity of your choice.

Deal?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-11-23, 23:49

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

If MSU wins out and makes the playoff, you will donate $100 to the charity of my choice.
If MSU wins out and does not make the playoff, I will donate $1500 to the charity of your choice.

Deal?

How about we take every team from Nate Silver's percentages and you pay me double what those odds dictate for the teams that don't make it.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-23, 23:55

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Deal?

How about we take every team from Nate Silver's percentages and you pay me double what those odds dictate for the teams that don't make it.

You're kind of getting off track here.

Do you accept the bet I offered you?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-23, 23:56

I swear to god I hate all of you.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-24, 00:02

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I swear to god I hate all of you.

Pipe down, Mr. Bitterman. These boys are having a dick-wagging contest.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next