Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men's tennis Match-fixing - Djokovic offered 200k to lose a match

+3
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
7 posters

Go down

Men's tennis Match-fixing - Djokovic offered 200k to lose a match Empty Men's tennis Match-fixing - Djokovic offered 200k to lose a match

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-18, 13:25

Novak Djokovic says he was offered $200,000 to lose match in 2007

The tennis community was rocked earlier this week with a Buzzfeed and BBC report that tennis' governing bodies have been warned of widespread match-fixing taking place on the men's tennis circuit, including at Wimbledon and the French Open.

According to the report, there is a core group of 16 players, all spending time in the world top 50, who have been connected with possible match-fixing since 2007. The most notable example, which launched the probe, came in 2008 in a match between then-No. 4 Nikolay Davydenko and Martin Vassallo Arguello.

The accusations of match-fixing have been the talk of the tennis world as the Australian Open began this week, and world No. 1 Novak Djokovic added fuel to the fire when he told reporters that he was offered nearly $200,000 to throw a match and lose in 2007.

"I was approached through people that were working with me at that time," Djokovic said. "It made me feel terrible because I don't want to be anyhow linked to this kind of -- you know, somebody may call it an opportunity," he continued. "For me, that's an act of unsportsmanship, a crime in sport honestly. I don't support it. I think there is no room for it in any sport, especially in tennis."
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Men's tennis Match-fixing - Djokovic offered 200k to lose a match Empty Re: Men's tennis Match-fixing - Djokovic offered 200k to lose a match

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-18, 13:26

Buzzfeed? Did the article list the top 21 reasons why pro tennis might be fixed?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Men's tennis Match-fixing - Djokovic offered 200k to lose a match Empty Re: Men's tennis Match-fixing - Djokovic offered 200k to lose a match

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-18, 13:27

Turtleneck wrote:Buzzfeed? Did the article list the top 21 reasons why pro tennis might be fixed?

Incredible!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-18, 13:27

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Buzzfeed? Did the article list the top 21 reasons why pro tennis might be fixed?

Incredible!

You're not going to believe what happened next.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-18, 13:28

I linked a long read on this yesterday. Pretty solid reporting in conjunction with the BBC.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-18, 13:56

lol!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-18, 15:08

gHost Spartan wrote:Tennis is a real sport.
Sincerely,
1975-era Tanfan

At the professional level, it is pretty intense. It requires crazy agility, speed and endurance. Did Tanfan play professional tennis? He comes off as the always mad tuba player type.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-18, 15:09

Turtleneck wrote:
Sincerely,
1975-era Tanfan

At the professional level, it is pretty intense. It requires crazy agility, speed and endurance. Did Tanfan play professional tennis? He comes off as the always mad tuba player type.

I always thought the oboe players harbored the most resentment.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-18, 15:12

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I always thought the oboe players harbored the most resentment.

Maybe he is more trombone player. I think they are the wild ones.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-18, 15:13

Turtleneck wrote:
Sincerely,
1975-era Tanfan

I would love to see gHost make an ass of himself on a tennis court, ya know, participating in a non-sport. Rolling Eyes

It's one of the most physically and mentally demanding sports out there.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-18, 15:14

Tennis is for men pretending to be women pretending to be men.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-18, 15:17

xsanguine wrote:Tennis is for men pretending to be women pretending to be men.

Why's that?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-18, 15:21

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I would love to see gHost make an ass of himself on a tennis court, ya know, participating in a non-sport. Rolling Eyes

It's one of the most physically and mentally demanding sports out there.

gHost plays tennis on a mountain bike.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-18, 15:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Why's that?

Because.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-18, 15:40

I could say the same thing about the national league.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-18, 15:40

That's a low blow, Travis, and you know it. You need to apologize right now. Totally uncalled for.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-18, 15:41

Very misogynist thing to say... Wow, I can't believe tSwill allows such sexist opinions to be expressed here.

What's next, Travis? The Jews, too?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-18, 15:46

xsanguine wrote:

That's a low blow, Travis, and you know it. You need to apologize right now. Totally uncalled for.

I'm sorry xsang. It was rude. :(
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-18, 15:49

I can accept your apology, Travis. I'm not sure I can completely forget this but I will try really hard.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-18, 15:53

xsanguine wrote:I can accept your apology, Travis. I'm not sure I can completely forget this but I will try really hard.

That's all I ask.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-01-18, 16:09

Djokovic finished 2006 as ATP's #16 player. While I'm surprised he was approached with that high a rating in '06, he was having a season where he finished #3 for 2007. The way he was winning in '07 he was probably favored to be in the semi's at nearly every tournament.

Everyone on the ATP tour are skilled tennis players and great shot makers. Unless it's a 6-0 / 6-1 match loss it wouldn't be too difficult to double fault here and shoot long or wide there to lose a match 6-4/6-3 with no one being the wiser especially if you tank early in the tournament.

We bet on the NFL here. In Europe soccer and tennis betting is huge.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-01-18, 21:42

Anyone can get to the level I got to. However to get to the next level you need reflexes that are God given. I didn't have those reflexes. I was a serve and volleyer. I tried to play like McEnroe. However I didn't have his reflexes. He coujd return serve and place it at the feet of the server trying to volley his return. You have to have lightening quick reflexes to turn you shot with top spin to make the ball dip at a guys feet as he approaches the net post serve when you return serve. It's why he was number one and won Wimbledon. Game is 80% mental once you got to college level playing ability. When I played you couldn't hit the ball as hard because the racquets were made of wood and the sweet spot was smaller. So the points lasted longer. You had to use spin to place the ball. So it was like a chess match. Fun times back then. Fuck you
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-18, 21:45

Tennis players have been tanking matches forever. The ATP swept it under the rug.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-18, 21:48

Tanfan! wrote:Anyone can get to the level I got to. However to get to the next level you need reflexes that are God given. I didn't have those reflexes. I was a serve and volleyer. I tried to play like McEnroe. However I didn't have his reflexes. He coujd return serve and place it at the feet of the server trying to volley his return. You have to have lightening quick reflexes to turn you shot with top spin to make the ball dip at a guys feet as he approaches the net post serve when you return serve. It's why he was number one and won Wimbledon. Game is 80% mental once you got to college level playing ability. When I played you couldn't hit the ball as hard because the racquets were made of wood and the sweet spot was smaller. So the points lasted longer. You had to use spin to place the ball. So it was like a chess match. Fun times back then. Fuck you

You threw a lot of temper tantrums?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-01-19, 11:53

Turtleneck wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:Anyone can get to the level I got to. However to get to the next level you need reflexes that are God given. I didn't have those reflexes. I was a serve and volleyer. I tried to play like McEnroe. However I didn't have his reflexes. He coujd return serve and place it at the feet of the server trying to volley his return. You have to have lightening quick reflexes to turn you shot with top spin to make the ball dip at a guys feet as he approaches the net post serve when you return serve. It's why he was number one and won Wimbledon. Game is 80% mental once you got to college level playing ability. When I played you couldn't hit the ball as hard because the racquets were made of wood and the sweet spot was smaller. So the points lasted longer. You had to use spin to place the ball. So it was like a chess match. Fun times back then. Fuck you

You threw a lot of temper tantrums?

Is there any other way to play?
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-19, 11:59

Professional Bowling is fixed too. And NASCAR.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down