Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more

+7
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
AMwood
xsanguine
InTenSity
Robert J Sakimano
Dendrobates
11 posters

Go down

Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more Empty Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 09:41

That's what I was told by my employer recently. They changed my job completely, gave me the position that is a "step up" and most definitely a promotion. It's more work and much more responsibility. But.......we're not giving you any more money. Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 901027492 Why? Oh because now I am able to make the company more money and should eventually make more money. Isn't that what giving me a new job and promotion is about anyway? And then, they screw me out of a 2k bonus from my current job because they decided to make this effective from Jan 1st. Evil or Very Mad But I am continue to do my regular job until I finish training, even though I'm not being paid for doing my job to begin with.

This is just my bitch fest right now. I'm going to sit here and take it up the ass like a champ, but I'm going to grumble about it for now. The only good thing out of this right now is that I will get to add some great stuff to my resume that competitors are looking for (and have been already with what I have done).

end rant.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more Empty Re: Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-27, 09:47

Dendrobates wrote:That's what I was told by my employer recently. They changed my job completely, gave me the position that is a "step up" and most definitely a promotion. It's more work and much more responsibility. But.......we're not giving you any more money. Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 901027492 Why? Oh because now I am able to make the company more money and should eventually make more money. Isn't that what giving me a new job and promotion is about anyway? And then, they screw me out of a 2k bonus from my current job because they decided to make this effective from Jan 1st. Evil or Very Mad But I am continue to do my regular job until I finish training, even though I'm not being paid for doing my job to begin with.

This is just my bitch fest right now. I'm going to sit here and take it up the ass like a champ, but I'm going to grumble about it for now. The only good thing out of this right now is that I will get to add some great stuff to my resume that competitors are looking for (and have been already with what I have done).

end rant.
a) that sucks..
b) on the upside, it could be a stepping-stone to another level that would actually lead to more money..

or..

c) you could just whine and blame Obama and the government for your problems.

You strike me as more of a "b" kind of person.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more Empty Re: Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more

Post by InTenSity 2016-01-27, 09:53

You could be in my position. I started as a temp, got the job, but they delayed it for 3 months until mid January, because of that I have to wait an extra year for everything. When I started, I reported to two managers and a director. Since then they eliminated both managers, who were making double of what I make, but gave me their responsibilities. The dept has shrunk to 2 of us peon's and 1 director, from 2 peons, 2 managers, 1 director. I've had 4 VP's since I've been here, with the longest one lasting about 9 months, in the 9 years I've worked here.
On the flip side, I've been contacted a few times, unsolicited through LinkdN for new opportunities. My benefits are pretty decent and I get 21 days a year off, with 5 that I carry over. Plus I get to golf more than most people.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-27, 10:07

I say start a fire in your bosses office on the weekend.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 10:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:That's what I was told by my employer recently. They changed my job completely, gave me the position that is a "step up" and most definitely a promotion. It's more work and much more responsibility. But.......we're not giving you any more money. Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 901027492 Why? Oh because now I am able to make the company more money and should eventually make more money. Isn't that what giving me a new job and promotion is about anyway? And then, they screw me out of a 2k bonus from my current job because they decided to make this effective from Jan 1st. Evil or Very Mad But I am continue to do my regular job until I finish training, even though I'm not being paid for doing my job to begin with.

end rant.
a) that sucks..
b) on the upside, it could be a stepping-stone to another level that would actually lead to more money..

or..

Yea, I am the "B" type of person. I do know that it will be better for me in the long run. I'm pissed they're fucking with me on the pay right now, and I know I was already the lowest paid person in my current position. I'm a bit anxious too as they've changed my territory as well, and I'm getting a new boss soon. I loved my boss, and that will certainly make or break things. The experience I will get with this new position will be very valuable to other companies, as not many people have that kind of experience.

I do get 4 weeks vacation, and an extra week off the last week of the year due to company holiday shut down. I have great benefits and had my highest W2 to date this past year. So there are lots of positives.

But dammit, don't call it a promotion when it's just a title change. Dicks.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 10:09

xsanguine wrote:I say start a fire in your bosses office on the weekend.

It doesn't work that way for me. My boss lives in Illinois, and not sure who my new boss will be as they are filling the position (person could be anywhere in the US) My job is a field base job and my territory is all of Michigan and part of Ohio.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2016-01-27, 10:15

what do you do, dendro?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-27, 10:17

Dendrobates wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I say start a fire in your bosses office on the weekend.

It doesn't work that way for me. My boss lives in Illinois, and not sure who my new boss will be as they are filling the position (person could be anywhere in the US) My job is a field base job and my territory is all of Michigan and part of Ohio.

Amtrak.com

You know you want to.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-27, 10:24

Dendrobates wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:a) that sucks..

or..

Yea, I am the "B" type of person. I do know that it will be better for me in the long run. I'm pissed they're fucking with me on the pay right now, and I know I was already the lowest paid person in my current position. I'm a bit anxious too as they've changed my territory as well, and I'm getting a new boss soon. I loved my boss, and that will certainly make or break things. The experience I will get with this new position will be very valuable to other companies, as not many people have that kind of experience.

I do get 4 weeks vacation, and an extra week off the last week of the year due to company holiday shut down. I have great benefits and had my highest W2 to date this past year. So there are lots of positives.

yeah - sucks but hang in there.. Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 10:51

AMwood wrote:what do you do, dendro?

I work for a biotech company in rare diseases. I teach docs how to diagnose, test, and treat those patients.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 10:53

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

yeah - sucks but hang in there.. Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 969504605

Thanks buddy. I will drink to that. Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 2267303065
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 11:08

Tell us more about taking it up the ass like a chump
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 11:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Tell us more about taking it up the ass like a chump

Champ. Fuckin mobile.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 11:16

That sucks, I sort of went through something similar. My job for the last year has been grooming me to head up the department (yikes!) I found it odd that no one was mentioning the salary. I schedules a meeting with the chief officer to discuss the position.

During it I told him I wanted to negotiate salary, and I gave him two figures one that would make me happy and my bottom line. I also agreed to a 6 month interim salary with frequent reviews to make sure the transition was going smooth. I did my research, so my number was fair.

The came back and only wanted to give me a tiny increase which imo was like no f'n thanks.

At the end of the day I didn't get the promotion they said we'd revisit, but I did get a huge raise at my review which was odd. There literally was no incentive to take on the promotion and to stay as a contributor I'm doing just fine.

My .02 tl/dr version if your company mentions a promotion, get out in front and negotiate before it happens. Maintaining work life balance has it's value, don't take on a promotion that isn't going to get you to your number.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 16:20

steveschneider wrote:That sucks, I sort of went through something similar. My job for the last year has been grooming me to head up the department (yikes!) I found it odd that no one was mentioning the salary. I schedules a meeting with the chief officer to discuss the position.

During it I told him I wanted to negotiate salary, and I gave him two figures one that would make me happy and my bottom line. I also agreed to a 6 month interim salary with frequent reviews to make sure the transition was going smooth. I did my research, so my number was fair.

The came back and only wanted to give me a tiny increase which imo was like no f'n thanks.

At the end of the day I didn't get the promotion they said we'd revisit, but I did get a huge raise at my review which was odd. There literally was no incentive to take on the promotion and to stay as a contributor I'm doing just fine.

My .02 tl/dr version if your company mentions a promotion, get out in front and negotiate before it happens. Maintaining work life balance has it's value, don't take on a promotion that isn't going to get you to your number.

It doesn't work that way for me. They are eliminating my entire position and everyone in it (a restructure) so it's take the job or don't have one any more.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-01-27, 16:35

Staying with one company lol. Worse idea than marriage
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2016-01-27, 16:36

Congrats! Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 969504605 Good to see you get a promotion and then start posting more here.

But that is just the shitty world we live in today. You have many workers that have not even have a raise to cover the cost of living increases. I have a friend who is renting that had her rent go up 11% but her hospital has not given raises to any nurses in 3 years. All the management cares about is the bottom line and to hell with those that actually do the work.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2016-01-27, 17:24

gomersbro wrote:Congrats! Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 969504605 Good to see you get a promotion and then start posting more here.

But that is just the shitty world we live in today. You have many workers that have not even have a raise to cover the cost of living increases. I have a friend who is renting that had her rent go up 11% but her hospital has not given raises to any nurses in 3 years. All the management cares about is the bottom line and to hell with those that actually do the work.

It's a hospital, she's lucky they didn't get rid of her.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 17:34

Blanch32 wrote:Staying with one company lol. Worse idea than marriage

Well really, this is the 4th company I've been with in the last 5 years. Each job was better than the last. Now it's time to put some years into something, especially in a field that is becoming more demanding every year. I am the youngest person in my position/department and am really paid quite well for what I do. They need to stop calling it a promotion and call it for what it is...a title change.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 17:37

gomersbro wrote:Congrats! Congratulations on your promotion, but you don't get paid more 969504605 Good to see you get a promotion and then start posting more here.

I'm in a good place/company right now with many opportunities to move up. Along with them being supportive in my management goals and providing training and opportunities to help me along the way. I don't love every decision they make, but I'm overall happy with the place.

I used to work in the hospital. I know that feeling. Not something I would go back to.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-01-27, 17:41

Dendrobates wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:Staying with one company lol. Worse idea than marriage

Well really, this is the 4th company I've been with in the last 5 years. Each job was better than the last. Now it's time to put some years into something, especially in a field that is becoming more demanding every year. I am the youngest person in my position/department and am really paid quite well for what I do. They need to stop calling it a promotion and call it for what it is...a title change.

Holy job hopping!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 17:44

Blanch32 wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Holy job hopping!

Yea. Time to settle down now.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-01-27, 18:13

end rant.

This blows. Hang in there. Don't you think you have a better chance of salaryenhancement with a new title? Or doesn't it matter? Maybe they want to eventually give you more cash but didn't want to piss your co-workers off. So title change first.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-01-27, 19:21

DWags wrote:

end rant.

This blows. Hang in there. Don't you think you have a better chance of salaryenhancement with a new title? Or doesn't it matter? Maybe they want to eventually give you more cash but didn't want to piss your co-workers off. So title change first.

What they told me for their reasoning of not paying me more is that with this position, I have more options/ability to make more. Which is true. But they constantly dangeled the carrot saying, this is the next step and you want this position. Insinuating more money
And I Damn well know this salary is much higher than mine. They're screwing a bunch of us over because it's a group of people being promoted and they don't want to pony up immediately.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-01-27, 21:25

Dendrobates wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Holy job hopping!

Yea. Time to settle down now.

Doesn't sound like you'll get thst chance lol
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down