Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

it's the middle of may, and 19 mlb pitchers have gone down to Tommy John surgery this season

+14
kingstonlake
Spartan Punk
Cym Jim
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
The Doctor
Notorious GiB
MSULordyoda
sprtnbrn
WBill
Rodeo Burger
InTenSity
Mentalstate
LoneWolfSparty
18 posters

Go down

it's the middle of may, and 19 mlb  pitchers have gone down to Tommy John surgery this season Empty it's the middle of may, and 19 mlb pitchers have gone down to Tommy John surgery this season

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-14, 21:07

Its a good thing they keep the pitch counts low. Seriously, it seems arms were healthier when they just went out and threw until they couldn't throw no more!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

it's the middle of may, and 19 mlb  pitchers have gone down to Tommy John surgery this season Empty Re: it's the middle of may, and 19 mlb pitchers have gone down to Tommy John surgery this season

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-14, 21:21

It's directly because of all the hard throwing being done for years when they are young and growing.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

it's the middle of may, and 19 mlb  pitchers have gone down to Tommy John surgery this season Empty Re: it's the middle of may, and 19 mlb pitchers have gone down to Tommy John surgery this season

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-14, 21:25

Mentalstate wrote:It's directly because of all the hard throwing being done for years when they are young and growing.

They're all actually 26+, but their visa's say they are 19.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-05-14, 21:28

Mentalstate wrote:It's directly because of all the hard throwing being done for years when they are young and growing.

Bingo. Yahtzee. BooYa.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-05-14, 21:29

Better than getting Lou Gehrig disease.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-15, 07:15

Ding ding ding. Guys are so interested in throwing 95+ that they're never learning how to pitch. Also some of these kids have such ugly mechanics that I'm not even remotely surprised when they go down. I saw Martin Perez (Rangers starter) pitch in some exhibition game last year and my first thought was this kid's going to destroy his elbow at some point. Here we are in mid-May and he needs elbow surgery.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSULordyoda 2014-05-15, 07:37

That and they're teaching kids how to throw curve balls too early. And those that pick it up faster are more likely to throw a ton of them.

I also think weight training can play a factor. You put too much on too fast, the ligaments simply don't strengthen enough to handle it.
MSULordyoda
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Notorious GiB 2014-05-15, 07:43

It's worse than that. If you include the minors the number is already approaching 40.
Notorious GiB
Notorious GiB
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Doctor 2014-05-15, 07:45

The elevated mound doesn't help either.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-05-15, 08:36

Not enough HGH.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-15, 08:37

I would agree with that assessment. I think some people would be surprised at how many games kids on travel teams play. I saw an 8U team that had a radar gun in use at a tournament this year.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-05-15, 08:40

Sounds like American sports are at an all time low.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Punk 2014-05-15, 08:41

Most pitchers used to also play SS or outfield when they didn't pitch when they were kids. It kept their arms stronger. Nowadays a lot of young kids do nothing but pitch and never gain as much arm strength as kids did previously.
Spartan Punk
Spartan Punk
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-05-15, 09:00

Do pitchers play winter ball like positional players do?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-15, 09:07

kingstonlake wrote:Do pitchers play winter ball like positional players do?

I know a lot of the Latino players do.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-15, 09:13

Spartan Punk wrote:Most pitchers used to also play SS or outfield when they didn't pitch when they were kids. It kept their arms stronger. Nowadays a lot of young kids do nothing but pitch and never gain as much arm strength as kids did previously.

At 15U is when you start to see some PO kids. Some very good 14U teams will have them. Makes it easier if you're playing 6 games in a weekend.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-05-15, 09:50

WBill wrote:Better than getting Lou Gehrig disease.

I'd rather cut my dick off than have ALS or anything comparable
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 2014-05-15, 09:55

Todays pictchers are a bunch of pussies. Back in the 80's, guys threw 8-10 complete games a year. Now, most get taken out after 6 innings. Wimps.
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-15, 09:57

Nommad2 wrote:Todays pictchers are a bunch of pussies. Back in the 80's, guys threw 8-10 complete games a year. Now, most get taken out after 6 innings. Wimps.

Back in the 80's there were only a handful of guys who routinely threw 95+ on the gun. Now almost everyone does it.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-15, 11:24

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10935698/dylan-fosnacht-rochester-high-school-throws-194-pitches-14-innings
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 2014-05-15, 11:31

Pitchers of the 80s weigh in on today's pitching wusses.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/pitchers-roundtable-the-1980s/
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-05-15, 11:34

Nommad2 wrote:Pitchers of the 80s weigh in on today's pitching wusses.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/pitchers-roundtable-the-1980s/
I'd take any one of them over Scherzer and his can't pitch late in games routine. It's a tough call which recent Tiger I hate most. Him, Fielder or Sheffield...
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-05-15, 11:42

Tom Seaver said it's because todays pitchers are drawing all their power from their arm and not the legs.

Any one see Tanaka pitch last night? I love watching his form and he's throwing the fork ball.

it's the middle of may, and 19 mlb  pitchers have gone down to Tommy John surgery this season 6-tom-seaver-mets-MLB-opening-day-memorable-moments
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-05-15, 13:07

Giant Moose wrote:
I'd take any one of them over Scherzer and his can't pitch late in games routine. It's a tough call which recent Tiger I hate most. Him, Fielder or Sheffield...
Seriously? I mean, I get the frustration with not pitching late in games, but to hate him that much? What about Coke or Valverde?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down