Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina

+7
Death Roe
goodbar
MSU addict
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
Robert J Sakimano
11 posters

Go down

Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina Empty Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-12, 08:49

if Gina wants to hold on to what they've got.. and it doesn't really matter if they make or not.. then why does Tommy insist on being argumentative with regard to "we'll make it, I swear"..!! ?

it just seems a little passive-aggressive on Tommy's behalf. Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina Empty Re: Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-05-12, 08:56

I think because it's tough. So tough.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina Empty Re: Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-12, 08:59

Nobody said Tommy was genius, he works on the docks.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-05-12, 09:01

*used to

Floyd
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-12, 09:01

Floyd Robertson wrote:Nobody said Tommy was genius, he works on the docks.
must've been a tough decision to put his six string in hock.. that's not how you want it to end.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-12, 09:02

You gotta make your own breaks.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-12, 09:02

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:*used to

Floyd
baby, it's okay... someday.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-12, 09:03

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:*used to

Floyd

Dammit.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-05-12, 09:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:if Gina wants to hold on to what they've got.. and it doesn't really matter if they make or not.. then why does Tommy insist on being argumentative with regard to "we'll make it, I swear"..!! ?

it just seems a little passive-aggressive on Tommy's behalf. Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina 2599972566
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-12, 10:08

MSU addict wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:if Gina wants to hold on to what they've got.. and it doesn't really matter if they make or not.. then why does Tommy insist on being argumentative with regard to "we'll make it, I swear"..!! ?

You live for the fight when it's all that you've got
it's tough...

so tough.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-05-12, 10:15

This is a very common mistake - to assume that that is actually Tommy who is saying those words. I understand the temptation to assign those words to Tommy as it falls in line nicely with traditional dialog structure of one person speaks and then the other person replies in a one-for-one pattern. But listen again and you'll see that those lines are never specifically attributed to Tommy in any formal way. Open your mind to the possibility that perhaps those aren't Tommy's words. Do that, and you will look at this song in a whole new way, one that refreshes the senses.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-05-12, 11:48

goodbar wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:if Gina wants to hold on to what they've got.. and it doesn't really matter if they make or not.. then why does Tommy insist on being argumentative with regard to "we'll make it, I swear"..!!  ?

it just seems a little passive-aggressive on Tommy's behalf.  Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina 2599972566

This is a very common mistake - to assume that that is actually Tommy who is saying those words.  I understand the temptation to assign those words to Tommy as it falls in line nicely with traditional dialog structure of one person speaks and then the other person replies in a one-for-one pattern.  But listen again and you'll see that those lines are never specifically attributed to Tommy in any formal way. Open your mind to the possibility that perhaps those aren't Tommy's words.  Do that, and you will look at this song in a whole new way, one that refreshes the senses.
I agree that the words are never formally attributed to Tommy, however it appears self-evident regardless of the traditional dialog structure.

Three possibilities exists:

1) The words are spoken by Tommy
2) The words are spoken by Gina
3) The words are spoken by an unnamed third party.

Analyzing the possibilities in reverse order of the probability -

It is possible the words are spoken by an unnamed third party.  However, the song is clearly about Tommy and Gina and their straggles.  To assert that a third party is involved would mandate that party be named.  It would also imply that Gina is involved with another person.  Gina is clearly committed to Tommy, working for her man and bringing home her pay for love.  

It is also possible the words are spoken by Gina (as you seem to imply).  However Gina's, statement of " 'cause it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not" would directly contradict the statement "take my hand and we'll make it I swear."  Clearly, it does matter to the speaker; who appears to be in fact responding to Gina's comment by echoing her words.

Therefore we should logically attribute the phrase to Tommy.  The phrase only makes sense in this context.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-05-12, 11:58

MSU addict wrote:
goodbar wrote:

This is a very common mistake - to assume that that is actually Tommy who is saying those words.  I understand the temptation to assign those words to Tommy as it falls in line nicely with traditional dialog structure of one person speaks and then the other person replies in a one-for-one pattern.  But listen again and you'll see that those lines are never specifically attributed to Tommy in any formal way. Open your mind to the possibility that perhaps those aren't Tommy's words.  Do that, and you will look at this song in a whole new way, one that refreshes the senses.
I agree that the words are never formally attributed to Tommy, however it appears self-evident regardless of the traditional dialog structure.

It is possible the words are spoken by an unnamed third party.  However, the song is clearly about Tommy and Gina and their straggles.  To assert that a third party is involved would mandate that party be named.  It would also imply that Gina is involved with another person.  Gina is clearly committed to Tommy, working for her man and bringing home her pay for love.  

It is also possible the words are spoken by Gina (as you seem to imply).  However Gina's, statement of " 'cause it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not" would directly contradict the statement "take my hand and we'll make it I swear."  Clearly, it does matter to the speaker; who appears to be in fact responding to Gina's comment by echoing her words.

Therefore we should logically attribute the phrase to Tommy.  The phrase only makes sense in this context.

incorrect due to your assumptions.

I never advocated nor implied that Gina was the speaker.  In fact, quite the opposite. I encouraged those listening to the song to leave wide open the direct owner of the words in those lines.  For instance, perhaps the words are of a fourth option than the three you listed? Maybe that of an ethereal origin not even being spoken at all but rather coming from a source outside not just the song itself but another dimension from which Tommy and Gina are in altogether?  Locking down the exact source of those words is an exercise in futility and will never be conclusive for the very simple fact that it is never formally specified in the first place.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-05-12, 12:14

goodbar wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

I never advocated nor implied that Gina was the speaker.  In fact, quite the opposite. I encouraged those listening to the song to leave wide open the direct owner of the words in those lines.  For instance, perhaps the words are of a fourth option than the three you listed? Maybe that of an ethereal origin not even being spoken at all but rather coming from a source outside not just the song itself but another dimension from which Tommy and Gina are in altogether?  Locking down the exact source of those words is an exercise in futility and will never be conclusive for the very simple fact that it is never formally specified in the first place.
You seem to be heading down a wet, slippery slope.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-12, 12:20

rather than participating in futile semantics and assigning our interpretation of the dialogue to each character, I think it's important to acknowledge the socioeconomic impact on relationships as it relates to gender role causality of working in a diner all day.. only to bring home her pay for love.

for love.

that suggests that within the context of their relationship that there is the possibility of institutionalized prostitution, as the only way to achieve the experience of shared love is if she delivers wages that she earned at the diner on the day in question.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-05-12, 12:29

MSU addict wrote:
goodbar wrote:

You seem to be heading down a wet, slippery slope.  

Guys, I Need Some Clarification, RE: Tommy and Gina Like10
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-05-12, 12:32

I don't know.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2017-05-12, 14:59

I heard they are half way there
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-12, 16:57

Gina works the diner all day. But she also is working for her man. There's no explicit statement that the pay she brings home is from the diner in question. So I think Bob is on to something with the prostitution angle. Perhaps the shot she is giving is a shot at hooring.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-12, 17:13

Is the same story about Jack and Dianne?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-05-12, 19:27

Nordic wrote:Is the same story about Jack and Dianne?
No, that is a ditty.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-12, 22:13

More importantly, was Gina a small town girl? Was Tommy born and raised in south Detroit? Is their story told in a single song, or does it span multiple songs by multiple bands?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-17, 12:26

Gary Graff‏ @GraffonMusic 4m4 minutes ago
More
.@BonJovi brings a musical graduation "address" to #FarleighDickinsonUniversity
Wise Words From Jon Bon Jovi
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-17, 12:27

LooseGoose wrote:Gary Graff‏ @GraffonMusic 4m4 minutes ago
More
.@BonJovi brings a musical graduation "address" to #FarleighDickinsonUniversity
Wise Words From Jon Bon Jovi
Jon Bon Jovi is one handsome dude.. he's held up well in the rock and roll lifestyle.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down