Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press?

+7
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
The Pantry
Giant Moose
11 posters

Go down

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? Empty Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press?

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-14, 21:45

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?company=Gannett&career_job_req_id=84222&career_ns=job_listing&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&jobPipeline=Indeed
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? Empty Re: Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press?

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-14, 22:13

So is Rexrode quitting? Perhaps he is going to be a male fashion model?

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? YnZyfmC
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? Empty Re: Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press?

Post by The Pantry 2016-03-14, 22:36

Didn't see "desire to kick Drew Sharp's ass anytime, anywhere" in the qualifications
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-03-15, 01:09

Giant Moose wrote:So is Rexrode quitting? Perhaps he is going to be a male fashion model?

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? YnZyfmC

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? 1966794946 Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-03-15, 09:44

He gone.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-03-15, 09:47

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:He gone.

He must like country music.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-15, 09:49

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:He gone.
Taking a columnist job in TN.

Job news: I have accepted the sports columnist position at The Tennessean in Nashville. Start April 25. Will finish MSU run at Free Press.
https://mobile.twitter.com/joerexrode/status/709733101933608960
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-03-15, 09:53

Giant Moose wrote:https://career4.successfactors.com/career?company=Gannett&career_job_req_id=84222&career_ns=job_listing&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&jobPipeline=Indeed

My Instragram and Snapchat skills are lacking. :(
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-15, 09:54

I am going to send him an iron as a parting gift. You can get away with a wrinkled shirt in Michigan, but he's a Southern gentleman now.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-03-15, 10:02

besides being pudgy, what are the requirements?

a proud graduate of a middle school English class: check
pudgy: nope
affinity for baggy clothes: nope
ability to not know how to iron my clothes: never ironed them before, why should I start now?
short-cropped hair: mine gets a little shaggy from time to time

looks like I have some work to do if I want to be a candidate for this position.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-15, 10:03

Robert J Sakimano wrote:besides being pudgy, what are the requirements?

ability to not know how to iron my clothes: never ironed them before, why should I start now?

looks like I have some work to do if I want to be a candidate for this position.
Do you deny the Blue Wall's existence?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-03-15, 10:04

Couch gets Freep, Solari takes over at LSJ.

Thank you, Joe.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-03-15, 10:04

Giant Moose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:besides being pudgy, what are the requirements?

Do you deny the Blue Wall's existence?
I'm not even fully sure what it means. I just know that MSU fans whine about it all the time so my opinions regarding whatever the "Blue Wall" is can certainly be shaped if it means achieving such lofty employment status.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-03-15, 10:19

"Couldn't be more excited for my new job. Couldn't love my current job more. Couldn't be more grateful for all of you." Joe Rexrode

So what happened? More money? Sick of the weather? Sick of the Freep?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-03-15, 10:21

steveschneider wrote:"Couldn't be more excited for my new job. Couldn't love my current job more. Couldn't be more grateful for all of you." Joe Rexrode

Mo Money, plus columnist instead of beat reporter.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-15, 10:22

steveschneider wrote:"Couldn't be more excited for my new job. Couldn't love my current job more. Couldn't be more grateful for all of you." Joe Rexrode

Maybe he just got tired of covering the place he went to school at and wanted to live somewhere else. Now he can be a fan of MSU and not have to be in that professional realm where he couldn't really root openly for MSU.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-03-15, 10:24

did he get a job at the dry cleaners?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-03-15, 10:28

Giant Moose wrote:

Maybe he just got tired of covering the place he went to school at and wanted to live somewhere else. Now he can be a fan of MSU and not have to be in that professional realm where he couldn't really root openly for MSU.

I believe him when he says he has no rooting interests in the games. I think once covering sports becomes your job your perception and the way you experience the games becomes dramatically different. I'm sure there's been many games in Joe's career where the whole thing felt like a job.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-15, 10:30

steveschneider wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

I believe him when he says he has no rooting interests in the games. I think once covering sports becomes your job your perception and the way you experience the games becomes dramatically different. I'm sure there's been many games in Joe's career where the whole thing felt like a job.
True. Doesn't he have a kid, too? I think that would sway it. As a beat reporter, you are traveling all throughout the country. A columnist won't have to travel nearly as much.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-15, 11:38

I nominated Hondo over on the Nation.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-03-15, 11:57

Giant Moose wrote:I nominated Hondo over on the Nation.
do you have to be a high school graduate to write for the Free Press?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-03-15, 13:14

Giant Moose wrote:

Could be lots of things. On top of the above (which makes a lot of sense), and what is probably an easier role as a columnist (in terms of family time, if nothing else), maybe he was sick of his superiors pressuring him to bash MSU as part of their blue wall agenda. Or maybe his wife got a good job offer down there. I wish him all the best, he will be missed.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-03-15, 13:22

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:
Could be lots of things. On top of the above (which makes a lot of sense), and what is probably an easier role as a columnist (in terms of family time, if nothing else), maybe he was sick of his superiors pressuring him to bash MSU as part of their blue wall agenda. Or maybe his wife got a good job offer down there. I wish him all the best, he will be missed.
god knows the influence they've had on officiating, too.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-03-15, 13:37

Would you guys like to go in on a going away present for rexrode with me? I was thinking we could go in and buy him a nice picture frame or a latex body suit or maybe a double sided dildo or maybe a really really big knife.

We could mail it to him at the free press office and make sure he knows it's from his friends at the swill. Let me know if you're in.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-03-15, 13:43

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Would you guys like to go in on a going away present for rexrode with me? I was thinking we could go in and buy him a nice picture frame or a latex body suit or maybe a double sided dildo or maybe a really really big knife.

We could mail it to him at the free press office and make sure he knows it's from his friends at the swill. Let me know if you're in.
let's get him a new shirt.. this one is really nice:

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? 71pbSIZp2CL._UX385_

and then one of these:

Are any of you going to apply for the Spartan beat reporter opening at the Detroit Free Press? Electrical_Iron
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-03-15, 15:18

He has kind of become pretty smug but all in all he's a very good beat writer. Hope they replace him with someone decent.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down