Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never any media bias - well maybe just a little. All the time.

+29
RQA
Jake from State Farm
steveschneider
TrapperGus
AvgMSUJoe
Heat Miser
xsanguine
Rocinante
NigelUno
kingstonlake
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
WhiteBoyHatcher
Cameron
tGreenWay
DWags
I.B. Fine
Triple Sparty
Death Roe
Cym Jim
CheesySpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
GRR Spartan
AnomanderRake
Blanch32
The_Dude
Floyd Robertson
Watch Out Pylon!
Turtleneck
33 posters

Page 25 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Go down

Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 Empty Re: Never any media bias - well maybe just a little. All the time.

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-08-15, 08:12

Goose, honest question: Are you really this fucking stupid or is it all an act? I mean you're not coming off sounding as dumb as LWS, that's pretty much impossible, but some of the things you post are completely devoid of thought and reason. Eagerly awaiting your response.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 Empty Re: Never any media bias - well maybe just a little. All the time.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-15, 08:17

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Goose, honest question: Are you really this fucking stupid or is it all an act? I mean you're not coming off sounding as dumb as LWS, that's pretty much impossible, but some of the things you post are completely devoid of thought and reason. Eagerly awaiting your response.
I'm not Goose (clearly), but taking him seriously would be like taking me seriously.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-15, 11:27

Reality has a well-known liberal bias. -Rob Corddry/Stephen Colbert
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-15, 11:31

Mango sure can spin a yarn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/08/01/president-trump-has-made-4229-false-or-misleading-claims-in-558-days/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-15, 11:33

tGreenWay wrote:Mango sure can spin a yarn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/08/01/president-trump-has-made-4229-false-or-misleading-claims-in-558-days/
I love how the racist, bigoted sexual predator's friends in the mainstream media calls them "false" or "misleading claims"..

most rational folks call them "lies"... Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 502811600

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-15, 11:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Mango sure can spin a yarn.

I love how the racist, bigoted sexual predator's friends in the mainstream media calls them "false" or "misleading claims"..

most rational folks call them "lies".... Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 502811600

Pretty common in reporting; the thinking being you can’t know what’s in a person’s heart. Was it a misstatement or did the person intend to deceive? I followed that unwritten rule in my own work.
However, it’s much different now, when it’s painfully obvious Trump and his people have every intention of lying, because it happens multiple times a day.
Thankfully, some news orgs and people have started calling them for what they are.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-15, 11:58

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I love how the racist, bigoted sexual predator's friends in the mainstream media calls them "false" or "misleading claims"..

most rational folks call them "lies".....Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 502811600

Pretty common in reporting; the thinking being you can’t know what’s in a person’s heart. Was it a misstatement or did the person intend to deceive? I followed that unwritten rule in my own work.
However, it’s much different now, when it’s painfully obvious Trump and his people have every intention of lying, because it happens multiple times a day.
Thankfully, some news orgs and people have started calling them for what they are.
I think a "liar" is one of the nicer things the mainstream media could call the racist, bigoted sexual predator.

of course, they're afraid to.. because, ya know, they need him and his pathological base to keep their ratings up. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2018-08-15, 13:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I think a "liar" is one of the nicer things the mainstream media could call the racist, bigoted sexual predator.

of course, they're afraid to.. because, ya know, they need him and his pathological base to keep their ratings up. Rolling Eyes

Don't think it matters what the MSM calls him, because the public who would vote for him (republicans and "independents" who generally don't vote) either have no idea what is going on in the world today and really don't give a shit (like bag of hammers dumb)... or they genuflect to their favorite right wing media outlet and listen religiously.

The rest of us already know... and rage at the internet about it. (the ether)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-15, 14:44

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I think a "liar" is one of the nicer things the mainstream media could call the racist, bigoted sexual predator.

Don't think it matters what the MSM calls him, because the public who would vote for him (republicans and "independents" who generally don't vote) either have no idea what is going on in the world today and really don't give a shit (like bag of hammers dumb)... or they genuflect to their favorite right wing media outlet and listen religiously.

The rest of us already know... and rage at the internet about it. (the ether)
the deplorables and their associates in the mainstream media are getting everything they deserve.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-25, 08:06

Kennedy's love life was "legendary" to CNN.....Trump's not so much.

[tw]980014338562904065[/tw]

“Legendary” –whether morally-neutral or complimentary or both-- is not exactly the terminology CNN is employing with regard to President Trump’s “love life.”

Consensual and discreet adulterous affairs distant (both time-wise and geographically) from the White House do not qualify a “love life” as “legendary” with CNN.

But apparently, feeding amyl-nitrate poppers to a starstruck 19 year-old, taking her virginity in the very White House bed and directing her to fellate a 50-year old friend while watching does.

Or has CNN forgotten about Mimi Alford? A reminder:

“When a reveler (at a celebrity party) passed around a tray of sex drug amyl nitrate, writes Mimi Alford, the president (JFK) asked her if she wanted to try it. “I said no,’ Alford recalls, ‘but he just went ahead and popped the capsule and held it under my nose. I ran crying from the room.’
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-08-25, 08:08

Is this excuses for Trump Super Saturday?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-25, 08:20

LooseGoose wrote:Kennedy's love life was "legendary" to CNN.....Trump's not so much.

“Legendary” –whether morally-neutral or complimentary or both-- is not exactly the terminology CNN is employing with regard to President Trump’s “love life.”

Consensual and discreet adulterous affairs distant (both time-wise and geographically) from the White House do not qualify a “love life” as “legendary” with CNN.

But apparently, feeding amyl-nitrate poppers to a starstruck 19 year-old, taking her virginity in the very White House bed and directing her to fellate a 50-year old friend while watching does.

“When a reveler (at a celebrity party) passed around a tray of sex drug amyl nitrate, writes Mimi Alford, the president (JFK) asked her if she wanted to try it. “I said no,’ Alford recalls, ‘but he just went ahead and popped the capsule and held it under my nose. I ran crying from the room.’

They’re both scum bags. What’s the point?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-25, 11:27

LooseGoose wrote:Kennedy's love life was "legendary" to CNN.....Trump's not so much.

thanks for the mainstream media link.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-31, 23:25

The lineup of speakers at Arethas funeral today:
Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 Dl8RQwZU4AAMdxP?format=jpg&name=orig

But ABC and NBC wouldn't want people to see those Democrat luminaries with Farrakhan.   So in the best Stalinist way, they cropped him out:

[Tw]1035543370532352001[/tw]

[Tw]1035537796650291201[/tw]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-08-31, 23:49

Poor Loosie Goosie.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-09-01, 14:25

LooseGoose wrote:The lineup of speakers at Arethas funeral today:
Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 Dl8RQwZU4AAMdxP?format=jpg&name=orig

But ABC and NBC wouldn't want people to see those Democrat luminaries with Farrakhan.   So in the best Stalinist way, they cropped him out:

[Tw]1035543370532352001[/tw]

[Tw]1035537796650291201[/tw]
thanks for the mainstream media tweets.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-09-04, 08:46

Goosie must have missed this one...

FBI investigation looms over Democratic nominee for Florida governor
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-13, 11:39

Inside Fox News, DeSantis is ‘the future of the party.’ And he’s taking advantage.
Emails show the Florida governor is in high demand on the network — and gets his way.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2021/08/13/inside-fox-news-desantis-is-the-future-of-the-party-and-hes-taking-advantage/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-08-29, 09:00

Katie Couric documentary on gun violence

It should be noted that documentaries operate with a different ethos than straight news. Under the Gun has a take, strongly suggesting there is a quiet consensus in favor of background checks among gun owners, aside from gun rights advocacy groups.

Si what we have is Guest trying to pretend that a film is the same as the nightly news

And to prove the point that the media is biased against Liberals we have NPR buying into the same false narrative.

Anyone who has ever watched a documentary knows they are done with a POV.  I would say the director found the gun nuts replies specious and thus didn't include their lies.

If we compare these seconds of silence verses all the silence on Fox News about real crisis Fox beats them for silence by years and years of silence.

npr.org/2016/05/26/479655743/manipulative-editing-reflects-poorly-on-couric-and-her-gun-documentary
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-29, 18:34

Reminder that the mainstream media doesn't only lean to the right, but makes you very ignorant if you pay attention to it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-08-30, 07:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Reminder that the mainstream media doesn't only lean to the right, but makes you very ignorant if you pay attention to it.

The news business has changed over the years for network broadcast news, however the rules for the people who want the news has not. Multiple sources and know how good each source is, just like anything else that you buy on a free market.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-30, 09:13

TrapperGus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Reminder that the mainstream media doesn't only lean to the right, but makes you very ignorant if you pay attention to it.

The news business has changed over the years for network broadcast news, however the rules for the people who want the news has not. Multiple sources and know how good each source is, just like anything else that you buy on a free market.

Yep, news is like anything. If a person flips on a modern country music station good chance that person is going to hate country music. You go home and throw on some Johnny Cash good chance that person is going to enjoy country music.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-08-31, 09:14

steveschneider wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

The news business has changed over the years for network broadcast news, however the rules for the people who want the news has not.  Multiple sources and know how good each source is, just like anything else that you buy on a free market.

Yep, news is like anything. If a person flips on a modern country music station good chance that person is going to hate country music. You go home and throw on some Johnny Cash good chance that person is going to enjoy country music.

Well sort of, however in that analogy you would need to have some critical listening skills for music, aka the ability to judge the musicality, and listen to about 4 to 10 performers to understand if you like country music.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-08-31, 10:08

The debate over the media's role in Afghanistan's fall is intensifying, as experts look to understand how Americans were so blindsided by the Taliban's rapid rise to power.

Why it matters: "This is the least reported war since at least WWI," says Benjamin Hopkins, a historian of modern South Asia specializing in the history of Afghanistan at George Washington University.

Driving the news: While the country's botched exit from Afghanistan has gotten significant coverage in the past few weeks, the decadeslong conflict has received relatively little media attention in the past 20 years, especially compared to coverage of other conflicts in the region.

Today, much of the coverage is focused on retroactively evaluating what went wrong and who to blame, but media experts argue that a large part of what went wrong has to do with the press itself.

https://www.axios.com/afghanistan-media-attention-b3b2063b-2255-4c2f-ada5-442e7070cdfc.html
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-31, 11:04

TrapperGus wrote:The debate over the media's role in Afghanistan's fall is intensifying, as experts look to understand how Americans were so blindsided by the Taliban's rapid rise to power.

Why it matters: "This is the least reported war since at least WWI," says Benjamin Hopkins, a historian of modern South Asia specializing in the history of Afghanistan at George Washington University.

Driving the news: While the country's botched exit from Afghanistan has gotten significant coverage in the past few weeks, the decadeslong conflict has received relatively little media attention in the past 20 years, especially compared to coverage of other conflicts in the region.

Today, much of the coverage is focused on retroactively evaluating what went wrong and who to blame, but media experts argue that a large part of what went wrong has to do with the press itself.

https://www.axios.com/afghanistan-media-attention-b3b2063b-2255-4c2f-ada5-442e7070cdfc.html

Since the Spanish American war and the lies created by Yelliw journalism, this country has been lead around by the media.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-01, 09:21

DWags wrote:

Since the Spanish American war and the lies created by Yelliw journalism, this country has been lead around by the media.

Somewhat overstated.  The media isn't monolithic, although there are times when it seems like it is.  There are major parts of the media who follow the herd and make it seem like they are leading when in fact mostly they are repeating what either certain leaders are saying or what a majority of the population is saying.

What the media, taken as a whole, is not, are truth tellers.  Those looking for that need to use critical analysis of multiple media sources which have widely different values  but which report all sides, themselves, to determine the possibilities to create their own opinions.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-10-06, 11:08

Ho Lee Crap.

[tw]1445747089191759872[/tw]

AT&T doesn't look too good here.

OAN founder and chief executive Robert Herring Sr has testified that the inspiration to launch OAN in 2013 came from AT&T executives.

“They told us they wanted a conservative network,” Herring said during a 2019 deposition seen by Reuters. “They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other [leftwing] side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built one.”

Since then, AT&T has been a crucial source of funds flowing into OAN, providing tens of millions of dollars in revenue, court records show. Ninety percent of OAN’s revenue came from a contract with AT&T-owned television platforms, including satellite broadcaster DirecTV, according to 2020 sworn testimony by an OAN accountant.

Herring has testified he was offered $250 million for OAN in 2019. Without the DirecTV deal, the accountant said under oath, the network’s value “would be zero.”
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-10-06, 11:13

Floyd Robertson wrote:Ho Lee Crap.

[tw]1445747089191759872[/tw]

AT&T doesn't look too good here.

OAN founder and chief executive Robert Herring Sr has testified that the inspiration to launch OAN in 2013 came from AT&T executives.

“They told us they wanted a conservative network,” Herring said during a 2019 deposition seen by Reuters. “They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other [leftwing] side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built one.”

Since then, AT&T has been a crucial source of funds flowing into OAN, providing tens of millions of dollars in revenue, court records show. Ninety percent of OAN’s revenue came from a contract with AT&T-owned television platforms, including satellite broadcaster DirecTV, according to 2020 sworn testimony by an OAN accountant.

Herring has testified he was offered $250 million for OAN in 2019. Without the DirecTV deal, the accountant said under oath, the network’s value “would be zero.”

Their value in non-monetary terms has always been zero.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-10-06, 15:12

so mainstream corporate conglomerates are funding mainstream media networks?

I never noticed.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-11-01, 09:16

Just another example of the press misleading us

Uninsured rate holds steady amid pandemic

By the numbers: The data from the National Health Interview Survey estimates 31.6 million people under 65 were uninsured in the first six months of 2020, similar to the 33.2 million Americans uninsured in 2019.

A drop of 1.6/33.2*100 = 4.8% is "holding steady"?

https://www.axios.com/uninsured-rate-holds-steady-amid-covid-pandemic-563104d0-fd14-424a-a20d-705b43110426.html
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-11-01, 09:48

But YahooNews says Rs want to "leave" big business....

https://news.yahoo.com/rubio-calls-gop-rebrand-divorce-215928892.html
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-12-04, 02:19

[tw]1466799896569204753?s=20[/tw]
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2021-12-04, 08:54

This represents your understanding of economics?

In 2018 we essentially had full employment and so adding 200k jobs was a strong economic indicator

In 2021 we have huge underemployment and so adding 200k jobs is a weak economic indicator.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-12-04, 09:19

RQA wrote:This represents your understanding of economics?  

In 2018 we essentially had full employment and so adding 200k jobs was a strong economic indicator

In 2021 we have huge underemployment and so adding 200k jobs is a weak economic indicator.

The media shouldn't be telling us in the headline anything other than the number of jobs added.

Both the word "strong" and the word "sluggish" are wrong.

The poster is pointing out the media bias when they tell people what to think by using those words.  Media bias is the topic of this thread.

As for the condition of the economy, another part of the jobs report showed that 1.1 million more people were working the week of November 12th than were working the week of October 12th, that over 500k people joined the labor force and that the UE3 rate dropped by 0.4% to 4.2%.

All three of those numbers are huge positives if judged from the historical numbers.  

Given the discrepancies between the reported increase in payrolls by large corporations, which is what the 210k added jobs is, and all the other measures, economists are more puzzled by the numbers than the words "strong" or "sluggish" imply.  Some are speculating that mid-sized, small-sized, and people working for themselves make up the difference between the number of people saying they are working and the reported hiring by large corporations.  

The initial payroll number, aka the 210k reported this month, has been significantly low for most of this year's reports.  In September the initial number was 194k, with revisions in October and November the number of additions to payrolls in September has been increased to 379k.  The initial number isn't accurate enough recently to add any word like "strong" or sluggish" to it, or to make the assertation you are making regarding it. (Typically, when I was doing the Doc Spartan memorial thread on Wells, the revisions to the initial numbers would be on the order of 5k to 15k, plus and minus. A revision of over 100k, always to the positive, month after month, points the BLS methodology being inadequate for the situation)
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-12-06, 09:16

https://twitter.com/magi_jay/status/1467541565614833671?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1467541565614833671%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailykos.com%2Fstory%2F2021%2F12%2F6%2F2067668%2F-Abbreviated-Pundit-Roundup-Omicron-SCOTUS-and-media-reluctance-to-face-GOP-anti-democratic-forces

Another point on this valuable piece by
@Milbank
. The type of sentiment analysis that was run on Biden vs. Trump news reports does not measure content, but rather the connotations of individual words. Such an analysis thus reflects how content was *described*, i.e. "word choice"
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-12-08, 11:54

the mainstream media is now doing articles about their racist, bigoted christian sexual predator hero becoming Speaker of the House. Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 502811600

Okay, let’s talk about Trump for House speaker

I suspect our favorite Miovian is especially enjoying his mainstream media addiction nowadays. Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 502811600

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-03-31, 13:17

saw that CBS hired some dude who worked in the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator's administration.

but, yes.. the mainstream media is 'liberal'. Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 502811600

enjoy watching, Guest.. hope you're doing well.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-03-31, 13:54

lol, Les Moonves, head of CBS was riding the Trump money train.

[tw]1509269538335985664[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-03-31, 15:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:lol, Les Moonves, head of CBS was riding the Trump money train.

wait a minute.. the "liberal media" isn't...{gulp}... liberal? scratch

I never noticed. Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-03-31, 15:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:lol, Les Moonves, head of CBS was riding the Trump money train.

wait a minute.. the "liberal media" isn't...{gulp}... liberal? scratch

I never noticed. Never any media bias - well maybe just a little.   All the time. - Page 25 502811600
The liberal media loves money just like the RWNJ media. Liberal media LOVED Donald Trump not because they agreed with him, but because they are greedy. All of these networks would be happy to see Trump re-elected.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next