Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior

+8
Rocinante
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
I.B. Fine
DWags
NigelUno
12 posters

Go down

Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior Empty Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior

Post by NigelUno 6/14/2016, 8:51 am

Two people died at Lake Superior after they were swept away by rip currents.

https://weather.com/news/trending/video/two-dead-due-to-rip-currents-at-lake-superior
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior Empty Re: Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior

Post by DWags 6/14/2016, 8:56 am

As a former Lake Michigan Life Guard:

Relax in a rip current. don't swim directly in. Swim gently sideways. let it take you out, you'll have to swim farther back in, but don't fight it.

BTW, they must have been fucking freezing in that water.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior Empty Re: Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior

Post by I.B. Fine 6/14/2016, 9:00 am

DWags wrote:As a former Lake Michigan Life Guard:  

Relax in a rip current. don't swim directly in.  Swim gently sideways.   let it take you out, you'll have to swim farther back in, but don't fight it.  

Damn, hypothermia would probably set in before you had a chance to swim back, unless they had wet suits on.
There's a reason I only like cold water to drink, not swim
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/14/2016, 9:02 am

Relax in a rip current. don't swim directly in. Swim gently sideways. let it take you out, you'll have to swim farther back in, but don't fight it.

I'm not sure it was a rip current (though it could've been), but I once got sucked out into the Pacific on the western coast of Costa Rica before I even knew what had happened.

Me = Shocked

luckily, I'm in good enough shape and had the mental capability to just say "all right, relax and work your way back in" - by the time my foot was able to catch some sand, I really was quite spent. I didn't admit it out loud to anyone (especially my wife) but I was pretty scared for a minute or two.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/14/2016, 9:05 am

Relax in a rip current. don't swim directly in.  Swim gently sideways.   let it take you out, you'll have to swim farther back in, but don't fight it.  

No shit, I've been on Lake Superior in a pontoon at pretty much the same time of year a few years ago. It felt like ice water.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 6/14/2016, 9:07 am

I've never seen that color sand, that many people or high rise buildings on Lake Superior.  Clearly I haven't been to that part of the lake.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 6/14/2016, 9:29 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm not sure it was a rip current (though it could've been), but I once got sucked out into the Pacific on the western coast of Costa Rica before I even knew what had happened.

Me = Shocked

luckily, I'm in good enough shape and had the mental capability to just say "all right, relax and work your way back in" - by the time my foot was able to catch some sand, I really was quite spent. I didn't admit it out loud to anyone (especially my wife) but I was pretty scared for a minute or two.

So you were worried?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/14/2016, 9:31 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not sure it was a rip current (though it could've been), but I once got sucked out into the Pacific on the western coast of Costa Rica before I even knew what had happened.

Me = Shocked

So you were worried?
Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior 502811600

I don't worry about much.. especially things out of my control... but I was worried.

a few bottles of Imperial never tasted as good once I made it back to the bar.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 6/14/2016, 9:40 am

in the intensive camp I was at they put you in a position to be "worried" a couple of times. Wanted you to feel the panic a drowning victim has. You get fucking panicky even when there are 6 lifeguards around you when you're tired. Oh and if you approach a drowning victim in the water with no device to help you, when they reach you, or you reach them, they will go for your head and cling to it. Usually two people drown in that situation and not one. Always remember if you can help a drowning victim:

Reach
Throw
Row
Tow
and go

in that order.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 6/14/2016, 9:46 am

DWags wrote:in the intensive camp I was at they put you in a position to be "worried" a couple of times. Wanted you to feel the panic a drowning victim has. You get fucking panicky even when there are 6 lifeguards around you when you're tired. Oh and if you approach a drowning victim in the water with no device to help you, when they reach you, or you reach them, they will go for your head and cling to it. Usually two people drown in that situation and not one. Always remember if you can help a drowning victim:

Reach
Throw
Row
Tow
and go

in that order.

Did you ever get worried that - even though it was freshwater - jaws was lurking somewhere around you ready to make you into a delicious human snack? Sometimes when I swim I get nervous thinking jaws is about to eat me for lunch.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 6/14/2016, 9:47 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Me = Shocked

Sand? Water? Sun? I thought you didn't like those things?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 6/14/2016, 9:55 am

Turtle, when we were like 20 and lifeguarding, we'd go to the beach at Midnight and get the rescue boards out on a real calm night. We'd float out about a quarter mile off shore and look at the lights from town,, maybe smoke a bit. Anyway, we'd slip off the boards, put our hands over our heads and sink about 20-30 feet down. Then, we'd start doing the jaws theme underwater. Holy fuck, we'd scare the shit out of ourselves and scramble up to the boards and climb back on. Fuck, we knew it was just fresh water, but damn it was scary.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 6/14/2016, 9:57 am

DWags wrote:Turtle, when we were like 20 and lifeguarding, we'd go to the beach at Midnight and get the rescue boards out on a real calm night. We'd float out about a quarter mile off shore and look at the lights from town,, maybe smoke a bit. Anyway, we'd slip off the boards, put our hands over our heads and sink about 20-30 feet down. Then, we'd start doing the jaws theme underwater. Holy fuck, we'd scare the shit out of ourselves and scramble up to the boards and climb back on. Fuck, we knew it was just fresh water, but damn it was scary.

That move really screwed with a lot of people's minds. Maybe the trick to beating Phelps would have been for somebody to scream"JAWS!"
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 6/14/2016, 9:58 am

Tell us more stories paw paw.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/14/2016, 9:58 am

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not sure it was a rip current (though it could've been), but I once got sucked out into the Pacific on the western coast of Costa Rica before I even knew what had happened.

Me = Shocked

Sand? Water? Sun? I thought you didn't like those things?
Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior 502811600

my wife would be the first to admit that I'm allowed a very short amount of time to complain about sun, heat, sand, etc. at our various destinations. She usually gives me about 5 minutes.

she is more of a beach person.. marriage: an exercise in compromise.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 6/14/2016, 10:04 am

Ghost, it's always been my experience that guys who talk about that shit the most get the absolute least.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 6/14/2016, 10:09 am

DWags wrote:Ghost, it's always been my experience that guys who talk about that shit the most get the absolute least.

Well yeah - ghost can't go a day without talking about some girl 20 years ago in college. Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior 502811600
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/14/2016, 10:11 am

gHost Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:Ghost, it's always been my experience that guys who talk about that shit the most get the absolute least.  
Maybe when referring about the present. But come on, Dwags, I was hoping to hear that you and your buddies banged some hotties on those boards with Foreigner or Led Zep in the background.
"when I was 20.. oh.. about 30+ years ago.. we took our rescue boards out about a quarter of a mile into Lake Michigan with about 80 lbs worth of hi-fi stereo equipment. I then banged Farrah Fawcett while listening to "Waiting For a Girl Like You" like a champ".

Beach Day Turns Tragic on Lake Superior DSC_1491

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 6/14/2016, 10:12 am

gHost Spartan wrote:
Maybe when referring about the present. But come on, Dwags, I was hoping to hear that you and your buddies banged some hotties on those boards with Foreigner or Led Zep in the background.

Probably wouldn't have been a good idea to take a boom box on a board onto Lake Michigan.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 6/14/2016, 10:13 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:
"when I was 20.. oh.. about 30+ years ago.. we took our rescue boards out about a quarter of a mile into Lake Michigan with about 80 lbs worth of hi-fi stereo equipment. I then banged Farrah Fawcett while listening to "Waiting For a Girl Like You" like a champ".

Oops. Bob beat me to it, and with a picture to boot.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 6/14/2016, 10:14 am

gHost Spartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Probably wouldn't have been a good idea to take a boom box on a board onto Lake Michigan.
Why not?

Unless the water is like glass...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/14/2016, 10:17 am

gHost Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

That's beautiful.
it is a good lookin' set up.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/14/2016, 10:19 am

Kid Rock wrote a song about my previous sexual conquests.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 6/14/2016, 10:22 am

And a long ass extension cord.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 6/14/2016, 10:31 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I hate that song. Screw you for posting that pile of steaming shit. Bob likes it because he sings about up north.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/14/2016, 10:38 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I hate that song. Screw you for posting that pile of steaming shit. Bob likes it because he sings about up north.

We were trying different things and smoking funny things.

He rhymes things with things! Kid Rock is a lyrical genius.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 6/14/2016, 10:43 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

We were eating chicken wings...

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/14/2016, 10:44 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I can't wait to get there this weekend. Can Tuesday be over yet??
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 6/14/2016, 10:45 am

Ok fuckers.

We'd scope out the best looking girls on a great day, smooth water, we'd offer to take them out on the rescue boards, they'd get out and they would sit up and straddle the boards with their legs dangling in the water on each side of the board as we'd hold the boards. Nothing like 80's bush.

Cool story bro?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/14/2016, 10:45 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

based on that line alone, Kid Rock earns a spot on the Mount Rushmore of American songwriters, along with Dylan, Springsteen, and Townes Van Zandt.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 6/14/2016, 10:54 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

LOL
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 6/14/2016, 10:55 am

DWags wrote:Ok fuckers.

We'd scope out the best looking girls on a great day, smooth water, we'd offer to take them out on the rescue boards, they'd get out and they would sit up and straddle the boards with their legs dangling in the water on each side of the board as we'd hold the boards. Nothing like 80's bush.

Cool story bro?

Watch out for the zebra mussels.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 6/14/2016, 10:57 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Air Georgia writes most of Kid Rock's songs.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 6/14/2016, 11:18 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Air Georgia writes most of Kid Rock's songs.

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 6/14/2016, 11:22 am

Says the guy who dated his hs sweetheart throughout college. Lol
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 6/14/2016, 11:24 am

Blanch, you're the first guy that comes to mind when I think about "talking the most and getting the least".
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 6/14/2016, 3:20 pm

DWags wrote:Blanch, you're the first guy that comes to mind when I think about "talking the most and getting the least".

Lol. Further proving your simpleton urge to rush to judgement.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 6/14/2016, 3:31 pm

Blanch32 wrote:
DWags wrote:Blanch, you're the first guy that comes to mind when I think about "talking the most and getting the least".

Lol. Further proving your simpleton urge to rush to judgement.

Further proving I'm right.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down