Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men of Sparta

3 posters

Go down

Men of Sparta Empty Men of Sparta

Post by Guest 2016-06-30, 11:36

Spartan Football ‏@MSU_Football 8m8 minutes ago
Former MSU All-American Bob Apisa brings "Men of Sparta" to Traverse City Film Festival on July 31 -

'Men of Sparta’ tells a story that transcended sports at MSU

A decade ago Michigan State’s aging players — aka the ‘Men of Sparta’ — gathered in a lounge at Spartan Stadium for the 40th anniversary of their 1966 Game of the Century with Notre Dame.

George Webster, a College Football Hall of Fame linebacker/rover, motioned to Bob Apisa, a two-time All-American fullback, to come over to him. Webster was by then confined to a wheelchair, his right leg amputated above the knee due to circulation problems.

Webster, noting Apisa’s Hollywood background, implored him to document the Spartans’ 1965 and 1966 national championship teams on film. He recognized age was winning against players that once thought they were indestructible.

Recalled Apisa, Webster told him, “I’m not going to be around much longer. Dick Kenney is already gone. Charlie Wedemeyer won’t be with us much longer. Harold Lucas has left us. You’ve got to tell the story of these teams before everybody goes. The legacy needs to be told for our children and our children’s children.’ ”

Webster passed away seven months later at age 61 from a heart attack.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Men of Sparta Empty Re: Men of Sparta

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-30, 11:46

I wonder if this makes it onto BTN or ESPN. I hope there's some distribution outlet(s).
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-30, 11:57

Shit, how do you get advance tickets?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-30, 13:30

DWags wrote:Shit, how do you get advance tickets?

2016 Ticketing Dates
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-30, 13:35

I wish East Lansing was named Sparta. I wonder if we could trade our name with the current Sparta in Michigan.
At the very least, we should be referring to campus as Sparta on football Saturday's.
/randomthoughtsnotinrandomthoughtsthread
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-30, 08:11

'Men of Sparta' movie tells story of 1965, 1966 Michigan State national title teams

EAST LANSING -- More than 50 years ago, a group of racially and culturally diverse college students travelled to East Lansing during one of the most turbulent periods in American history to suit up for Duffy Daugherty at Michigan State.

Within two years, the group became one of the most successful in college football history, going 19-1-1 and winning back-to-back national championships, culminating their run in a contest dubbed the "Game of the Century" against Notre Dame.

The story of Michigan State's 1965 and 1966 football teams is now being retold in a new film, "Men of Sparta", which will make its world premiere on Sunday at the Traverse City Film Festival.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down