Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is golf a Sport or Skill?

+10
The_Dude
Cameron
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
tanfan!
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
duffy munn
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is golf a Sport or Skill?   - Page 2 Empty Re: Is golf a Sport or Skill?

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Rocinante wrote:Is arm wrestling a sport?

You have to develop muscles and skill to do it well?  How about competitive eating?  That takes a lot of training to do well.  What about NASCAR? Is driving a car a sport.  Billiards?

No it's not a sport.  Sports require you to elevate your heart rate at some point during the event.  Baseball is barely a sport, and that amount of activity is the cutoff line.  

There will be no argument on this.
And doesn't walking 4-6 miles elevate the heart rate?  Granted, most regular schmoes ride carts, but professional golfers walk several miles each day for 5 days straight (counting the practice round).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Is billiards a sport? Is steeplechase?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:19 pm

Steeplechase is definitely a sport, Greenway. Pay attention.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:20 pm

Rocinante wrote:Steeplechase is definitely a sport, Greenway. Pay attention.

Maybe for the horse, it is.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Is golf a Sport or Skill?   - Page 2 523999

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:58 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

You changed the context of my answer. Mods, please cancel all pending hat orders.

On phone. Didn't mean to.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:00 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

You have to develop muscles and skill to do it well?  How about competitive eating?  That takes a lot of training to do well.  What about NASCAR? Is driving a car a sport.  Billiards?

No it's not a sport.  Sports require you to elevate your heart rate at some point during the event.  Baseball is barely a sport, and that amount of activity is the cutoff line.  

And doesn't walking 4-6 miles elevate the heart rate?  Granted, most regular schmoes ride carts, but professional golfers walk several miles each day for 5 days straight (counting the practice round).

You should feel my heart when I'm standing o er an 8 foot putt
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:01 pm

You have to develop muscles and skill to do it well? How about competitive eating? That takes a lot of training to do well. What about NASCAR? Is driving a car a sport. Billiards?

No it's not a sport. Sports require you to elevate your heart rate at some point during the event. Baseball is barely a sport, and that amount of activity is the cutoff line.

My rules for sport are very simple-

1) you have to be active enough to be able to pull your groin during the normal activities of the event. This eliminates golf because unless you're doing something stupid that can't happen.
2) the winner cannot be arbitrarily chosen by a judge. Figure skating? Not a sport. Diving? Not a sport. Boxing? Sport. You had the opportunity to win before the fight is determined by a judge so that no one dies.

Your heart rate isn't necessarily critical, however, I imagine that you would have to elevate it somewhat to pull a groin. My rules clearly place baseball in the sport category.

Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

1) you have to be active enough to be able to pull your groin during the normal activities of the event. This eliminates golf because unless you're doing something stupid that can't happen.
2) the winner cannot be arbitrarily chosen by a judge. Figure skating? Not a sport. Diving? Not a sport. Boxing? Sport. You had the opportunity to win before the fight is determined by a judge so that no one dies.

Your heart rate isn't necessarily critical, however, I imagine that you would have to elevate it somewhat to pull a groin. My rules clearly place baseball in the sport category.

I'm willing to incorporate some of your rules into the final ruling.  For instance.  I will accept the groin-pull clause as a replacement for the heart rate clause, but not the judging clause.  That's just ludicrous, Travis.

Last edited by Rocinante on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:06 pm

I agree that when judges are involved, it's precluded from being a sport: gymnastics, diving, "competitive dance", cheerleading, synchronized swimming, etc.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Rocinante wrote:

I'm willing to incorporate some of your rules into the final ruling. For instance. I will accept the groin-pull clause, but not the judging clause. That's just ludicrous, Travis.

I don't like the idea of the winner of a "sport" being 100% independently determined by a third party. Sure, every sport has elements of that to some degree because of officials, but the winner is usually black and white to even the most casual observer. The judged ones (I will not call them sports) are not because the points are arbitrarily assigned.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:17 pm

DWags wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:It's a sport. You need eye hand but you can also improve by strengthening the golf muscles. The more you play the stronger you get and the farther you can hit it. You can learn to shape shots. You can learn to put spin on the ball to make it check. Putting is another animal. Learning how to read a green is something I suck at. But these are all things that can be taught by a professional. If a game needs a professional to coach you up, it then becomes a sport.
How is your length old man? I've probably out on ten pounds since last year, but my length is easy one club up. I think it's because I'm 54. I do a light workout. Do t kill it, but I've lost length. Using a five whee I used a six or seven. Kind of frustrating.

Honestly I'm down a full club. But I don't play very often anymore. When I played often I was driving from 270 to 280 consistently. Now I'm down to 250 to 260. I'm 57 so that might explain it. I got down to a 7 as my handicap. Now I suck balls and I'm double that. It's all about the short game. That's where you cut strokes. Chipping putting. I coujd check the ball at one time. Now I just hit it fat and fuck up.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:36 pm

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

You changed the context of my answer. Mods, please cancel all pending hat orders.

On phone. Didn't mean to.

I had a feeling you'd fold once I pulled my ace.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:45 pm

Rocinante wrote:

I'm willing to incorporate some of your rules into the final ruling. For instance. I will accept the groin-pull clause, but not the judging clause. That's just ludicrous, Travis.

I don't like the idea of the winner of a "sport" being 100% independently determined by a third party. Sure, every sport has elements of that to some degree because of officials, but the winner is usually black and white to even the most casual observer. The judged ones (I will not call them sports) are not because the points are arbitrarily assigned.

You're welcome to your opinion as long as you accept my authority.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I agree that when judges are involved, it's precluded from being a sport: gymnastics, diving, "competitive dance", cheerleading, synchronized swimming, etc.
Agree about the judging, but sport or not sport, some of those take absolutely incredible athletic ability to perform at a reasonably high level. I knew several female gymnasts at MSU quite well, and gained an absolute ton of respect for them. Tiny little things, but fucking badasses. I can't really call it a "sport" per se, but a high level athletic competition for sure.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Bob, are you saying competitive dancers aren't elite, or don't have to be elite athletes?

Is golf a Sport or Skill?   - Page 2 502811600

And riding a bike does?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:35 pm

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Bob, are you saying competitive dancers aren't elite, or don't have to be elite athletes?

And riding a bike does?

No one said that they aren't athletes. Far from it, they are definitely athletes, no one doubts that. But their activity is not a sport. I'm not sure what it is. Game? Art? Activity? Activity might be best.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Tanfan! wrote:
DWags wrote:
How is your length old man? I've probably out on ten pounds since last year, but my length is easy one club up. I think it's because I'm 54. I do a light workout. Do t kill it, but I've lost length. Using a five whee I used a six or seven. Kind of frustrating.

Honestly I'm down a full club. But I don't play very often anymore. When I played often I was driving from 270 to 280 consistently. Now I'm down to 250 to 260. I'm 57 so that might explain it. I got down to a 7 as my handicap. Now I suck balls and I'm double that. It's all about the short game. That's where you cut strokes. Chipping putting. I coujd check the ball at one time. Now I just hit it fat and fuck up.

Yeah, I'm about 230 -240 driver. I started playing irons off the tee now, "old man golf". I score a bit lower, but I'm trying to keep it straight and such. You do lose distance in your 50's don't you.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:36 pm

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

And riding a bike does?
I suppose they could be athletes - but I don't consider events where people are judged "sports".

and, yes, absolutely - cyclists are not only athletes but at the higher levels, it's the most grueling sport in the world.

that's all - I know, I'm angry. I hope you'll take that into consideration when replying.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:36 pm

DWags wrote:

And riding a bike does?

No one said that they aren't athletes. Far from it, they are definitely athletes, no one doubts that. But their activity is not a sport. I'm not sure what it is. Game? Art? Activity? Activity might be best.
why are you so angry?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

why are you so angry?

:( I didn't be angry I don't think
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

why are you so angry?

This is me being amused by you. I'm adding envious to your anger and misogyny. You 're going to make this tough. But I won't quit.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:42 pm

DWags wrote:

And riding a bike does?

And that's my point, is golf a sport? Certainly athletes play it. But the best golfers just have this, feel, or whatever, that it seems you're almost born with.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:why are you so angry?

:( I didn't be angry I don't think
DWags will be the judge of that.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:43 pm

DWags wrote:

And that's my point, is golf a sport? Certainly athletes play it. But the best golfers just have this, feel, or whatever, that it seems you're almost born with.

No, it's not. It's a game. There were two rules if you see my og post regarding this topic.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:45 pm

DWags wrote:

no - if you can smoke and/or be obese while doing it, it's not a sport.

the "feel" you mentioned could also be attached to.. say.. a childcare technician. "Ya know, I don't know why.. but I feel like little Caitlynne is not being herself this morning".. right before little Caitlynne yaks all over the Speak-N-Spell.. now, that was a good call by the childcare technician but it doesn't make being a childcare technician a sport.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:47 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Agree about the judging, but sport or not sport, some of those take absolutely incredible athletic ability to perform at a reasonably high level. I knew several female gymnasts at MSU quite well, and gained an absolute ton of respect for them. Tiny little things, but fucking badasses. I can't really call it a "sport" per se, but a high level athletic competition for sure.

Heh.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:no - if you can smoke and/or be obese while doing it, it's not a sport.

Is golf a Sport or Skill?   - Page 2 Old-gold-cig-ad-320
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

And riding a bike does?
I suppose they could be athletes - but I don't consider events where people are judged "sports".

and, yes, absolutely - cyclists are not only athletes but at the higher levels, it's the most grueling sport in the world.

that's all - I know, I'm angry. I hope you'll take that into consideration when replying.

Have you ever wrestled? that's grueling. Have you ever watched someone try to fouette or grand jete? Or not only doing it once, doing it many times, for hours? If you're looking for grueling, that's it. My point is, if you're looking for grueling, it is, with the added pressure of having to perform in front of someone. I was like you, only focused on sports I played. Didn't realize how tough cross country was, or wrestling, or swimming. Never considered them. But grueling does come in many different forms.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

no - if you can smoke and/or be obese while doing it, it's not a sport.

Like biking? I see puffy people riding bikes all the time.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:57 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:no - if you can smoke and/or be obese while doing it, it's not a sport.

Is golf a Sport or Skill?   - Page 2 Old-gold-cig-ad-320
correctamundo.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:58 pm

DWags wrote:

Like biking?  I see puffy people riding bikes all the time.  
sure - like I told someone earlier, you can be an obese diabetic with a 2 pack/day habit and shoot basketball in the driveway. It doesn't make you a basketball player any more than riding your bike to buy a pack of Marlboro Lights makes you a cyclist.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

Like biking?  I see puffy people riding bikes all the time.  
sure - like I told someone earlier, you can be an obese diabetic with a 2 pack/day habit and shoot basketball in the driveway. It doesn't make you a basketball player any more than riding your bike to buy a pack of Marlboro Lights makes you a cyclist.

Or riding your bike on trails. Not a big deal really.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:59 pm

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I suppose they could be athletes - but I don't consider events where people are judged "sports".

Have you ever wrestled? that's grueling. Have you ever watched someone try to fouette or grand jete? Or not only doing it once, doing it many times, for hours? If you're looking for grueling, that's it. My point is, if you're looking for grueling, it is, with the added pressure of having to perform in front of someone. I was like you, only focused on sports I played. Didn't realize how tough cross country was, or wrestling, or swimming. Never considered them. But grueling does come in many different forms.
no - that's a very private act between two consensual adults.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:01 pm

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Or riding your bike on trails. Not a big deal really.
definitely not.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:06 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

Have you ever wrestled?  that's grueling.  Have you ever watched someone try to fouette or grand jete?   Or not only doing it once, doing it many times, for hours?  If you're looking for grueling, that's it. My point is, if you're looking for grueling, it is, with the added pressure of having to perform in front of someone.   I was like you, only focused on sports I played.  Didn't realize how tough cross country was, or wrestling, or swimming.   Never considered them.   But grueling does come in many different forms.
no - that's a very private act between two consensual adults.

Grand Jete.  Not easy to do.  Hours of workouts, bone spurs stress fractures. These kids bodies get beat up.

Is golf a Sport or Skill?   - Page 2 11707510
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Not a sport by any stretch of the imagination.

No doubt they are athletes. Calm down wags.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:09 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not a sport by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm trying to get bob to be less angry. What's up with you lately? Work suck? Can I help?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:15 pm

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not a sport by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm trying to get bob to be less angry. What's up with you lately? Work suck? Can I help?

No I'm good, but I laid out two clear rules that are not up for debate.

I'm a little sleepy today now that you mention it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:24 pm

DWags wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:

Yeah, I'm about 230 -240 driver. I started playing irons off the tee now, "old man golf". I score a bit lower, but I'm trying to keep it straight and such. You do lose distance in your 50's don't you.

It's harder to get the torgue and my legs are not as strong. So. I suck.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next