Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?

+15
tanfan!
Gomer
The Pantry
NigelUno
Dr. Strangelove
The_Dude
Rocinante
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
AnomanderRake
Robert J Sakimano
BleacherSwill
GRR Spartan
Nordic
xsanguine
19 posters

Go down

Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?  Empty Re: Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-07, 23:44

It could have been a regional thing.

Besides, you know how stories get exaggerated over time, especially when there's a story to sell.

Call me crazy... but in a vacuum I prefer Islam to Christianity. Not the prophets, but just the disciplines.

Edit: Just to clarify, not that there's anything wrong with Christianity as a discipline... it just seems a lot more laissez faire as opposed to the stricter doctrine of Islam.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?  Empty Re: Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-07, 23:46

gHost Spartan wrote:Dude builds a giant fucking ship 2,000 years ago while simultaneously collecting 2 of each animal around the planet. Then waits for a flood and floats around the earth for a few years. Yeah, okay. Seriously, do people really believe that shit? http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/noahs-ark-kentucky/index.html

But yeah, those guys are just capitalist trying to prey on the religious.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-07-08, 00:46

xsanguine wrote:Call me crazy... but in a vacuum I prefer Islam to Christianity.

Christianity as a discipline... it just seems a lot more laissez faire as opposed to the stricter doctrine of Islam.

I think you might be out of Valium
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-07-08, 06:05

The Arc gives you the opportunity to spend $40 per ticket to see an exhibit of Noah's ship he reportedly built to survive a flood.

If you believe the Bible it's a great story about how one guy built a pretty big boat to survive a flood. We know there were major floods in ancient times so the story of Noah is plausible.

What doesn't work is the new place has dinosaurs on board and we know they didn't live with any species of humans because of carbon dating. They were dead long before humans had the skills to build a floating vessel that large.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2016-07-08, 08:38

gHost Spartan wrote:Dude builds a giant fucking ship 2,000 years ago while simultaneously collecting 2 of each animal around the planet. Then waits for a flood and floats around the earth for a few years. Yeah, okay. Seriously, do people really believe that shit? http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/noahs-ark-kentucky/index.html

Ever word in the bible was translated through time with the assistance of God to keep the original meaning intact. If you don't believe me ask someone that has one.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-08, 09:03

my favorite religion is the one where its followers claim to be "pro life" while promoting guns, the death penalty and working tirelessly to make certain the poor and disenfranchised do not have access to quality healthcare.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-07-08, 10:24

Yes Christians really do believe that shit because they are indoctrinated as children.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-07-08, 10:37

I was taught they were allegory in nature and like novels you need to interpret the meaning. But others take it literally. I read it, but I don't think people lived to be 450 to 900 years old. Nor do I think a great white whale was hunted for days. I also don't believe Star Wars is real. I can suspend my disbelief. I think most of us can.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-07-08, 10:50

I don't know I quit CCD or whatever the fuck it was after a year. Thank GOD my parents figured their shit out.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-07-08, 10:51

DWags wrote:I was taught they were allegory in nature and like novels you need to interpret the meaning. But others take it literally. I read it, but I don't think people lived to be 450 to 900 years old. Nor do I think a great white whale was hunted for days. I also don't believe Star Wars is real. I can suspend my disbelief. I think most of us can.

That's kind of the way it was taught at my church too.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-07-08, 10:58

I don't think most people who identify as Christian live their lives by the bible or really care or believe most of that stuff.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-07-08, 11:00

The_Dude wrote:I don't think most people who identify as Christian live their lives by the bible or really care or believe most of that stuff.

You're right - on social media, at church they are Christians... And then they get home.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-07-08, 11:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
The_Dude wrote:I don't think most people who identify as Christian live their lives by the bible or really care or believe most of that stuff.

You're right - on social media, at church they are Christians... And then they get home.

Would I be classified as a Christian? Was raised in the Catholic Church, confirmed, etc.

I don't give up anything for Lent. I'll eat meat on Fridays. I go to church maybe once a year on Xmas Eve with my family. And I think the bible is more of a comic than real.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-07-08, 11:09

The_Dude wrote:

Would I be classified as a Christian? Was raised in the Catholic Church, confirmed, etc.

I don't give up anything for Lent. I'll eat meat on Fridays. I go to church maybe once a year on Xmas Eve with my family. And I think the bible is more of a comic than real.

Sounds like you're exactly like the people I was referencing. Claim they are Christian but don't practice what they preach.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-07-08, 11:14

I was raised as a Baptist. My folks were the drinking variety but I had Sunday School teachers and friends whose families believed the old saw about the Bible, "God said it. I believe it. That settles it."

That rigid belief system is why my father quit taking my 2 younger splints to church after my mother died. Not her death but the hardliners started getting more influence at our church.

It does no good to debate with Evangelicals or true believers in any dogmatic religion.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-07-08, 11:22

The_Dude wrote:

Sounds like you're exactly like the people I was referencing. Claim they are Christian but don't practice what they preach.

Yeah, and have you noticed its only the old people that do this?

Like some people still have it in their minds that being religious means you are inherently a better person...no, you are either a good person or you are not. Religion has zero to do with it.

And Im not sure the whole "Im a good Christian" appearance really means much to people anymore. Not as the older more religious people start to die off or fade away.

My office prepares hundreds of tax returns a year...some old people give thousands upon thousands of dollars to their church still. Young people give nothing. Once the boomers are gone, churches are going to close down left and right.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-07-08, 11:29

GRR Spartan wrote:I was raised as a Baptist. My folks were the drinking variety but I had Sunday School teachers and friends whose families believed the old saw about the Bible, "God said it. I believe it. That settles it."

That rigid belief system is why my father quit taking my 2 younger splints to church after my mother died. Not her death but the hardliners started getting more influence at our church.

It does no good to debate with Evangelicals or true believers in any dogmatic religion.

I had never been in a baptist church in my life, then one of my athletes died coming home from cedar point and his parents asked me to do the eulogy. Oh my goodness the minister was up there telling people how they better get right with the lord because we all might die like Matt going home from the service. I'm thinking wtf? I went up there and celebrated his life and how he was light hearted and made everybody feel comfortable and confident on the field. Never took things to seriously but enjoyed relationships and how important people were to him. Well after at the luncheon the minister completely ignored me. Guy was real fire and brimstone. I just assumed a lot of baptists were like that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-07-08, 11:58

To be fair there was a Great Flood in the Mesopotamian valley about 5000 years. There probably were some who escaped via a boat of some kind.

Now did it happen like the Noah legend? Um no but like all great legends there is a kernel of truth.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-07-08, 12:07

DWags wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:I was raised as a Baptist. My folks were the drinking variety but I had Sunday School teachers and friends whose families believed the old saw about the Bible, "God said it. I believe it. That settles it."

I had never been in a baptist church in my life, then one of my athletes died coming home from cedar point and his parents asked me to do the eulogy. Oh my goodness the minister was up there telling people how they better get right with the lord because we all might die like Matt going home from the service. I'm thinking wtf? I went up there and celebrated his life and how he was light hearted and made everybody feel comfortable and confident on the field. Never took things to seriously but enjoyed relationships and how important people were to him. Well after at the luncheon the minister completely ignored me. Guy was real fire and brimstone. I just assumed a lot of baptists were like that.

It depends. Southern Baptist is more often like that. I was raised southern baptist. I probably would never have left the church if the pastor I was raised with hadn't died and been replaced with a limp noodle of a man. I loved the fire and brimstone stuff when I was a kid. It was like the Hobbit was real.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-07-08, 12:14

Dr. Strangelove wrote:To be fair there was a Great Flood in the Mesopotamian valley about 5000 years. There probably were some who escaped via a boat of some kind.

Now did it happen like the Noah legend? Um no but like all great legends there is a kernel of truth.

Also, the whole "world" for those people was 40x40 miles so they might say "the world was flooded".
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-08, 12:35

I have a jesus freak friend who believes that the republican party represents christian values.. Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-07-08, 21:10

Noah's Ark is more believable than most of the stories that some people tell around here.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-08, 21:19

Christians believe in those things their religion is based on.

Question: How is that strange in comparison to Muslims? Or Buddhists? Or Hindus?

I realize that everyone likes to mock Christians since we're all better than those backward fools but shouldn't adherents of those other religions and their far fetched tales come in for similar mockery?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-07-08, 22:41

LooseGoose wrote:Christians believe in those things their religion is based on.

Question: How is that strange in comparison to Muslims? Or Buddhists? Or Hindus?

I realize that everyone likes to mock Christians since we're all better than those backward fools but shouldn't adherents of those other religions and their far fetched tales come in for similar mockery?
Have felt many years the division between religions is nothing a true god would approve of.

JMO...Jesus/Jehovah, Mohammed, Buddha, Hindu gods, native American gods, Mayan gods, etc were appointed to deliver faith when and where it was needed, in whatever form was acceptable.

Truly believe there is only one God and it wants all of us to discover our own Divinity. Not a one-and-done life prospect. Reincarnation many times.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-07-09, 01:47

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Christians believe in those things their religion is based on.

Have felt many years the division between religions is nothing a true god would approve of.

JMO...Jesus/Jehovah, Mohammed, Buddha, Hindu gods, native American gods, Mayan gods, etc were appointed to deliver faith when and where it was needed, in whatever form was acceptable.

Truly believe there is only one God and it wants all of us to discover our own Divinity. Not a one-and-done life prospect. Reincarnation many times.
I'm a pantheistic deist agnostic for the most part and if forced to choose teams, I'm going with the Flying Spaghetti Monster (ramen).

I could almost spit on young earth creationists though. They don't know fuck all about science but tend to have very strong "feelings" about climate change and the like. One jackass I worked with said "plate tectonics is 'just a theory'". This is a guy who believes dinosaurs and people cohabitated mind you.

I once engaged the Wells Hall Preacher who informed me that Noah got all the dinosaurs to fit on the ark by just taking babies.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-07-09, 02:56

Gomer wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Have felt many years the division between religions is nothing a true god would approve of.

I'm a pantheistic deist agnostic for the most part and if forced to choose teams, I'm going with the Flying Spaghetti Monster (ramen).

I could almost spit on young earth creationists though. They don't know fuck all about science but tend to have very strong "feelings" about climate change and the like. One jackass I worked with said "plate tectonics is 'just a theory'". This is a guy who believes dinosaurs and people cohabitated mind you.

I once engaged the Wells Hall Preacher who informed me that Noah got all the dinosaurs to fit on the ark by just taking babies.
You might get a kick out of this. Got raw milk from a family farm maybe 30 miles from Alpena for years. Really nice people, but Christian creationists fully believing the Earth was only 4000-some years old. Never challenged it to risk cutting off the milk supply.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-07-09, 08:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I have a jesus freak friend who believes that the republican party represents christian values.. Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?  502811600

Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?  1494614055
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-07-09, 09:08

Do any of you believe a person running for president in this country, democrat, republican or other could say "religion is phony" and still get elected? Not in our lifetimes.

While many of us wouldn't give a rats ass, your relatives, neighbors and co-workers would.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-09, 09:24

DWags wrote:Do any of you believe a person running for president in this country, democrat, republican or other could say "religion is phony" and still get elected? Not in our lifetimes.

While many of us wouldn't give a rats ass, your relatives, neighbors and co-workers would.

I think you're right Wags. I've not been in a church for probably 20 years and not for anything other than a wedding or funeral for 10 more years before that. I had my fill of organized religion and the hypocrites involved growing up. I especially can't stand the class of people I call "professional Christians" - the song leaders, youth leaders, etc, etc that are making a living off being Christians.

That said, I believe in God and am what I think at least pretty righteous in my life. I try to treat people right, not cheat, lie, etc, etc. I just don't need to go to church 2-3 times a week and contribute to paying all their bills to have that reaffirmed for me. I suppose for all of them I'm a sinner though. Honestly I don't GAF what they think.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-12, 20:27

The Holy Sepulcher: Archaeology says the Evangelists were right
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-12, 22:07

LooseGoose wrote:The Holy Sepulcher: Archaeology says the Evangelists were right

Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?  1494614055

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t14987-the-swill-bin-religion-thread
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-12, 22:11

Cameron wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:The Holy Sepulcher: Archaeology says the Evangelists were right

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t14987-the-swill-bin-religion-thread

Sorry Man, I'll remember that if I run across another interesting article.

Didn't know what to search for so I must have used "bible".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-12, 22:18

LooseGoose wrote:

Have you watched "in search of Jesus" CNN? History major here. I live that shit. Love it. They use science too.

By the way, you need faith to begin to believe the Bible. However in the Noah's story, back then a mans whole world might be a grand total of forty square miles. If there was a flood of significance, you could easily get people to believe a 40 or twenty square mile flood was a flood that covered the whole world.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2017-05-12, 22:22

Faith. You can use your will to create things.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-12, 22:27

LooseGoose wrote:

Your search wasn't the problem, if you don't search on tBin you won't find the thread I linked. I wasn't really trying to make a point about that you should have posted in my thread or anything, I just thought I'd throw that link in there in case anyone was interested in going deep on the topic (which I doubt very much, but hope springs eternal).
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-12, 22:31

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Have you watched "in search of Jesus" CNN? History major here. I live that shit. Love it. They use science too.

By the way, you need faith to begin to believe the Bible. However in the Noah's story, back then a mans whole world might be a grand total of forty square miles. If there was a flood of significance, you could easily get people to believe a 40 or twenty square mile flood was a flood that covered the whole world.

I don't think I've ever seen that one. I clicked into this story because initially I thought it was about the Dome of the Rock.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-12, 22:38

Without going to tBin i would like to hear opinions

The Aetherius Society
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-12, 22:45

The Pantry wrote:Without going to tBin i would like to hear opinions

The Aetherius Society

Do Christians really believe that the Bible is true? This Noah's Arc is the biggest bullshit on the planet, really?  502811600
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2017-05-13, 04:56

GRR Spartan wrote:I was raised as a Baptist.  My folks were the drinking variety but I had Sunday School teachers and friends whose families believed the old saw about the Bible,  "God said it.  I believe it.  That settles it."  

That rigid belief system is why my father quit taking my 2 younger splints to church after my mother died.  Not her death but the hardliners started getting more influence at our church.

"God said it.  I believe it.  That settles it."  You've just described my family's moto and most of my wife's family.  And you're right, I don't even bother getting into debates or even a conversation with them.  For all they know, they think I'm one of them.

What cracks me up and infuriates me all at the same time, is that the most dogmatic of them don't have any education beyond maybe high school beginning biology and absolutely know nothing of physics, advanced mathematics, astronomy, geology, earth sciences, quantum theory, biochemistry, Einstein's Theory etc.  Not a fucking thing..  Yet these same people KNOW the absolute truth of our origins AND our eventual fate.  All because of a book written in the Bronze Age by numerous people to tell stories to illiterate nomadic sheepherders is 100% infallible.

Every single word from the original language is the 100%  god-breathed absolute truth.  Now some of our translations might miss the beat a little, so they have some wiggle room.  I guess god was smart enough to give his truth in 1 or 2 languages, but not smart enough to make sure the other translations that are derived from the original texts were as exact.  

It's much easier to believe in facts that can be proved and to admit to not knowing what we don't know instead of filling in the blanks with some invisible supreme being.  Could there be a god?  Fuck yeah.  Maybe.  Don't know.  And if it weren't for having so many fundamentalists in my immediate family, I wouldn't even care.

My siblings and some of my in-laws have made actual vacations centered around going  to this "creation museum" and then went back again when this place added on noah's ark.  I have close family members who home-schooled using Ken Ham's 'science' books for their material.  And I have to put up with them coming back to tell of their adventures in how being there brings you closer to god.  I can't explain the level of frustration and just wanting to shout bullshit at the top of my lungs.  But I just smile and say nothing.  It's of no value to argue at this point in my life.

Being an atheist makes much more sense.

The whole religious thing is so ridiculous it's hard to believe we still have it around with all the science and technology that we depend on dominating our daily lives. As for me, the more you know, the less likely you are to believe in any religion.

Last edited by Frank Ricard on 2017-05-13, 10:50; edited 3 times in total
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-05-13, 10:30

I always just thought it was a parable.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down