Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Days are sad.

+4
Triple Sparty
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
DWags
8 posters

Go down

Happy Days are sad.  Empty Happy Days are sad.

Post by DWags 2016-07-20, 09:37

Garry Marshall has jumped the shark
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Happy Days are sad.  Empty Re: Happy Days are sad.

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-07-20, 15:54

Big time purveyor of entertainment and put out a lot of good stuff.

I never like Happy Days, or Laverne and Shirley, which surely makes me un-American.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-07-20, 18:32

I watched the shit out of HD And L&S. It was on tv50 out of Detroit on reruns when I was a kid.

I have actually drank milk and Pepsi. It's not terrible.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-07-20, 18:43

Do I have to be under 60 to know what's going on in this thread?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-07-20, 21:14

Rocinante wrote:I watched the shit out of HD And L&S. It was on tv50 out of Detroit on reruns when I was a kid.

I have actually drank milk and Pepsi. It's not terrible.

A "London Fog." Kate Smith's favorite drink.

Of course, she was close to 300 pounds, so maybe you don't need to drink a lot of them.....
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-20, 21:41

Triple Sparty wrote:Do I have to be under 60 to know what's going on in this thread?

So, you're older than 60?

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-07-20, 21:48

Never got into HD or LS, but Marshall had a talent to tap into what would be popular.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-07-20, 21:55

Under over, she said he said, tomatoe tomatah.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-07-20, 22:25

Triple Sparty wrote:Under over, she said he said, tomatoe tomatah.

Shit, I thought the age on this board went Tanfan, then goise and I then Pantry. You trying to jump us?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-21, 09:08

grew up watching Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley (to a lesser extent) - Tuesday nights at 8:00 and 8:30.

Both are still on one of those numerically-high stations on Comcast in East Lansing.. like "Hub TV" or something like that.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-04-22, 21:00

Erin Moran dead at 56. The last 30 years really took a toll on her.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-22, 21:07

Floyd Robertson wrote:Erin Moran dead at 56. The last 30 years really took a toll on her.

Joanie? Fuck, way to young. RIP. When you say "took their toll" did she have the typical hollywood problems? Or was it just various maladies.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-04-22, 21:10

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Erin Moran dead at 56. The last 30 years really took a toll on her.

Joanie? Fuck, way to young. RIP. When you say "took their toll" did she have the typical hollywood problems? Or was it just various maladies.

Problems with alcohol, money, and Indiana trailer park living. TMZ report didn't say which one got her.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-22, 21:15

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

Problems with alcohol, money, and Indiana trailer park living. TMZ report didn't say which one got her.

So, this just got me going down a worm hole looking at what actors make in residual money. I wonder why why some go broke, but this was an interesting example I got from friends. It's different now, and I doubt it was like this during Happy Days re-runs, but here's and example.

One episode:

The “Friends” cast was making $1 million an episode for the last couple of seasons. But Craig Beatty, the Vice President of Entertainment Partners, says there’s a ceiling. During “Friends” that was around $2,500 an episode. So let’s use that as our jumping off point to calculate an example:

Let’s take “The One Where Eddie Moves In," otherwise known as the ultimate "Smelly Cat" episode:

If, back in 1996, it repeated once during the summer and once the following year on NBC, then Lisa Kudrow would have theoretically gotten:

$2,500 x 2 = $5,000
When a show is syndicated to basic cable and local television stations (called "free television" in the biz), a sliding scale kicks in. Kudrow would have received 40 percent for the first re-run (40 percent of $2,500 = $1,000), 30 percent for the second re-run ($750) and then 25 percent for the next three re-runs. After that, it goes down incrementally until the 13th time it airs. From then on, an actor gets 5 percent for each episode every time it airs, forever. So if “The One Where Eddie Moves In” re-aired five times in syndication, the math would work like this:

40% of $2,500 = $1,000
+

30% of $2,500 = $750
25% of $2,500 = $625 x 3 = $1,875
Kudrow would also be compensated for foreign rights, but those work a little differently. Back in the '90s, she would’ve gotten one flat payment of 35 percent, no matter how many channels it showed on outside North America. So:

35% of $2,500 = $875
And if we add all that up:

$5,000 + $875 + $1,000 + $750 + $1,875 = $9,500
I won’t get into DVD and digital media sales because those get pretty complicated, but let’s just say we hit $10,000 total per episode, for easy math’s sake . With 236 episodes, that would mean Kudrow would’ve gotten at least:

$2,360,000 in total residuals for “Friends.”
Now, we all know “Friends” has aired a bajillion times, so it’s safe to say that estimate is ludicrously, ridiculously and extremely low. Plus, the cast of “Friends” actually negotiated for a higher share than that maximum for residuals, so they’re sitting pretty, especially since "Friends" has made somewhere north of $3 billion in syndication.

Regardless, residuals are a steady stream of income in a line of work where nothing else is all that steady.

How are actors paid for re-runs and syndication
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-04-22, 22:01

Moran, Most, and a couple other cast members unsuccesfully sued CBS for licensing but lost in court.  I suspect many signed the heads we win, tails you lose type contracts networks are famous for getting tv actors to sign.  

She started Happy Days when she was 14-15 and it ran for a decade.  Back in '74 few TV actors in supporting roles like Moran had got Ron Howard/Henry Winkler per episode  pay days and who knows what their cut of the rerun/video sales were.  Back in '84 when Happy Days ended the studios didn't have a clue about the size or staying power of video sales.

Ron Glass who was a supporting cast member in Barney Miller said the hardest thing about being on a hit show that lasts more than 2-3  seasons was to remember that salary wouldn't keep coming after the show went off the air.

Its hard to imagine what might go on in your head if you're 35, the parts aren't coming in and you realize your peak was 14-26.  You are guest star material if you are lucky.  

Reports were Moran had alcohol and mental health issues.  Don't know how she met her husband or how they ended up in a mobile home park in Indiana.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down