Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay?

+2
Larry Kazamias
CrazySparty
6 posters

Go down

NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay?

NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay? Vote_lcap14%NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay? Vote_lcap57%NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay? Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 4 ]
NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay? Vote_lcap29%NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay? Empty NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay?

Post by CrazySparty 2014-05-20, 18:40

Should the NFL expand their post-season field from 12 to 14?
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay? Empty Re: NFL Playoff Expansion: Yay or Nay?

Post by Larry Kazamias 2014-05-20, 18:51

I say no but I like 14 better than 16, so there is still a big incentive/advantage for having the best record
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-05-20, 18:56

Larry Kazamias wrote:I say no but I like 14 better than 16, so there is still a big incentive/advantage for having the best record

I'd rather they stick with 12, but get rid of divisions.

The fact that the 8-7-1 Packers got in to the playoffs, but the 10-6 Cardinals didn't, is moronic. Especially when you consider Arizona played a tougher schedule.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-05-20, 18:58

The length of professional sports seasons is getting out of hand in general. I say nay.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-05-20, 19:02

SeeRockCity wrote:The length of professional sports seasons is getting out of hand in general.  I say nay.

Personally, I'd like to see the NFL add a second bye week. However, it wouldn't be a traditional bye week. Rather, teams would not be allowed to play the Sunday before/after their Thursday night game(Which every team plays now).

It lends some semblance of credibility to the NFL's "pursuit" of player safety(Teams wouldn't be playing two games in five days), and you give fans another week of fantasy football, coverage, gambling, etc. You also don't add any extra games.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-05-20, 19:08

CrazySparty wrote:

I'd rather they stick with 12, but get rid of divisions.

The fact that the 8-7-1 Packers got in to the playoffs, but the 10-6 Cardinals didn't, is moronic. Especially when you consider Arizona played a tougher schedule.

Tougher schedule doesn't mean shit in the NFL.

The NFL wants to put more emphasis on winning the division, which is why the division winners automatically get the playoff berth and home game.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-05-20, 19:08

CrazySparty wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:The length of professional sports seasons is getting out of hand in general.  I say nay.

Personally, I'd like to see the NFL add a second bye week. However, it wouldn't be a traditional bye week. Rather, teams would not be allowed to play the Sunday before/after their Thursday night game(Which every team plays now).

It lends some semblance of credibility to the NFL's "pursuit" of player safety(Teams wouldn't be playing two games in five days), and you give fans another week of fantasy football, coverage, gambling, etc. You also don't add any extra games.

I agree with this.  I know injuries are a part of the game, but you will water down the product if you don't have the majority of your superstars on the field for the majority of the season.  If you add more games, what's going to happen in the 4th quarter?  Going to sit people if you have a 14 point lead so they get less dinged up?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2014-05-20, 19:10

Only if they seed teams without regard to conferences.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Finger Brown 2014-05-20, 19:11

An expanded playoff would not extend the season at all, it would simply eliminate the first round bye for the second seed in each conference.
Three Finger Brown
Three Finger Brown
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-05-20, 19:11

Chitown_Badger wrote:

Tougher schedule doesn't mean shit in the NFL.

The NFL wants to put more emphasis on winning the division, which is why the division winners automatically get the playoff berth and home game.

I realize this, which is why I want them to scrap divisions. Play a 15 team conference schedule, plus one non-conference game(Or, if you're really concerned about maintaining rivalries, let each team play another conference foe twice.(I.E. Lions would play Vikings twice, everyone else in NFC once).
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-05-20, 19:29

CrazySparty wrote:

I realize this, which is why I want them to scrap divisions. Play a 15 team conference schedule, plus one non-conference game(Or, if you're really concerned about maintaining rivalries, let each team play another conference foe twice.(I.E. Lions would play Vikings twice, everyone else in NFC once).

It's an interesting idea, but I like the opportunity to play long standing rivals twice each year. And it's nice to throw in uncommon opponents from other divisions. Though, if it's truly about getting the best teams from each conference in the playoffs, the fairest way to do it is what you're suggesting.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down