Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes?

+9
xsanguine
Jake from State Farm
I.B. Fine
Dendrobates
By-Tor
InTenSity
TheReal_LWS
AnomanderRake
Floyd Robertson
13 posters

Go down

Article Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes?

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:08 am

Especially when they're in the same sector.

A growing chorus is calling on the Mylan pharmaceutical company to justify its price hikes on EpiPens, a potentially life-saving medication for children and others facing fatal allergies that has little real competition.

In 2007, a two-pack of the epinephrine-filled devices went for $56.64 wholesale, according to data gathered by Connecture, a health insurance technology and data analytics company. Now it's jumped to $365.16, an increase of 544.77 percent. Since the end of 2013, the price has gone up by 15 percent every other quarter.

Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes? Epipen_price_hike_chart_ea751a0276b621824fddbe7a26965984.nbcnews-ux-320-320

When Marin Shkreli calls you a vulture you know something's not right.

Martin Shkreli Weighs in on EpiPen Scandal, Calls Drug Makers 'Vultures'
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes?

Post by AnomanderRake Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:05 am

What mistake did they make?

One of the largest generic manufacturers in the world is about to release their generic of the EpiPen. It was delayed by the FDA and will likely come out next year. EpiPen is just trying to bolster their sales and maximize profits before their first generic competitor hits the market next year and they are forced to drop their price to compete.

Yeah it's disgusting and messed up they're able to put a price on people's lives like this but that's the nature of a health care system with free market elements like ours.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:12 am

The mistake, IMHO, was underestimating the amount of public and press backlash they'd received for price gouging before being called to the Hill for a good old fashioned congressional hearing (soon to follow).
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:27 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:The mistake, IMHO, was underestimating the amount of public and press backlash they'd received for price gouging before being called to the Hill for a good old fashioned congressional hearing (soon to follow).

Yeah I'm sure they expected quite a bit of backlash but probably didn't expect to get called in by the feds. The fact is their entire customer base is captive buyers so they can charge whatever they want. As far as I know they didn't do anything illegal did they? To me this whole situation is more a symptom of our horrible health care system than it is the fault of a business doing anything they can to maximize profits.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:38 am

AnomanderRake wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:The mistake, IMHO, was underestimating the amount of public and press backlash they'd received for price gouging before being called to the Hill for a good old fashioned congressional hearing (soon to follow).

Yeah I'm sure they expected quite a bit of backlash but probably didn't expect to get called in by the feds. The fact is their entire customer base is captive buyers so they can charge whatever they want. As far as I know they didn't do anything illegal did they? To me this whole situation is more a symptom of our horrible health care system than it is the fault of a business doing anything they can to maximize profits.

No, they didn't do anything illegal.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 am

It always infuriates me when companies try to make a profit. I get fighting mad. I may write a stern letter to someone over this outrage!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 am

TheReal_LWS wrote:It always infuriates me when companies try to make a profit. I get fighting mad. I may write a stern letter to someone over this outrage!

There's reasonable profit and then there's PROFIT.

Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes? Giphy
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:14 am

Profit over lives. Sounds about right.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:54 am

I'm at ground zero of this bull shit. Luckily with some coupons from our doctor it knocked it down to about $450. My HSA account took a nice hit Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes? 4177874726 This price hike is also tied to the schools getting grants now for epipens. The mfr saw free $$$ so got greedy. I hope congress reams them with an epipen sans lube..
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Be grateful you don't have a rare disease. I work in that field, and each patients treatment is 6 figures a year for the rest of their lives. But that shit will always be expensive because there are so few taking them, and it's the only thing keeping them alive. Overall though, orphan drugs make up less than 1% of costs in healthcare.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:37 pm

By-Tor wrote:I'm at ground zero of this bull shit. Luckily with some coupons from our doctor it knocked it down to about $450. My HSA account took a nice hit Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes? 4177874726 This price hike is also tied to the schools getting grants now for epipens. The mfr saw free $$$ so got greedy. I hope congress reams them with an epipen sans lube..

Wait a minute, you're telling me, once the government started subsidizing a product, the price of that product rose disproportionately?
Wow, wonder if that has ever happened with any other products?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:25 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:
By-Tor wrote:I'm at ground zero of this bull shit. Luckily with some coupons from our doctor it knocked it down to about $450. My HSA account took a nice hit Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes? 4177874726 This price hike is also tied to the schools getting grants now for epipens. The mfr saw free $$$ so got greedy. I hope congress reams them with an epipen sans lube..

Wait a minute, you're telling me, once the government started subsidizing a product, the price of that product rose disproportionately?
Wow, wonder if that has ever happened with any other products?

And as usual the very people "solving" our health care issues are knee deep in causing them.

How a senator’s daughter became CEO of the company at the center of the EpiPen controversy

The dramatic, 400 percent rise in the cost of EpiPens is the next big flashpoint in the national debate over skyrocketing prescription drug prices.

It turns out that the woman at the center of this controversy has powerful political connections. My colleague Catherine Ho reports that the head of Mylan, the drug company accused of hiking the price of the pen that treats severe allergic reactions, is also the daughter of Joe Manchin, a Democratic U.S. senator from West Virginia and the state's former governor.

Heather Bresch's career has risen along with her father's, a fact that has not gone unnoticed by her critics.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Dendrobates wrote:Be grateful you don't have a rare disease. I work in that field, and each patients treatment is 6 figures a year for the rest of their lives. But that shit will always be expensive because there are so few taking them, and it's the only thing keeping them alive. Overall though, orphan drugs make up less than 1% of costs in healthcare.

I recently got diagnosed with histoplasmosis, doc said treatment runs about $1000/month. He then told me that unless I have cancer and need chemotherapy or some other life threatening disease not to bother because it will probably go away on it's own.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:24 pm

AnomanderRake wrote:What mistake did they make?

One of the largest generic manufacturers in the world is about to release their generic of the EpiPen. It was delayed by the FDA and will likely come out next year. EpiPen is just trying to bolster their sales and maximize profits before their first generic competitor hits the market next year and they are forced to drop their price to compete.

Yeah it's disgusting and messed up they're able to put a price on people's lives like this but that's the nature of a health care system with free market elements like ours.

Delayed by the FDA.... free market....

Something doesn't compute.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:Be grateful you don't have a rare disease. I work in that field, and each patients treatment is 6 figures a year for the rest of their lives. But that shit will always be expensive because there are so few taking them, and it's the only thing keeping them alive. Overall though, orphan drugs make up less than 1% of costs in healthcare.

I recently got diagnosed with histoplasmosis, doc said treatment runs about $1000/month. He then told me that unless I have cancer and need chemotherapy or some other life threatening disease not to bother because it will probably go away on it's own.

Sorry about that dx, but glad it can clear up on its own. Take that shit and run with it. The stuff I deal with are genetic diseases, and there are no other options. So thankfully now no one can be denied treatment , and insurances have got to cover that stuff.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Lost faith in the medical industry many years ago. The "preventative care" thing has just been a rouse to keep getting money out of your pocket, recommending unnecessary tests and/or prescribing unneeded medication. The escalation of health care costs/premiums and the development of what I consider a hypochondriac culture through the media makes me ill.

The pharmaceutical TV ads have to be stopped, first. Complete bullshit they are allowed to make public sales pitches like, "Go talk to your doctor..." about getting a prescription for the shit they are selling.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:58 am

The Pantry wrote:Lost faith in the medical industry many years ago. The "preventative care" thing has just been a rouse to keep getting money out of your pocket, recommending unnecessary tests and/or prescribing unneeded medication. The escalation of health care costs/premiums and the development of what I consider a hypochondriac culture through the media makes me ill.

The pharmaceutical TV ads have to be stopped, first. Complete bullshit they are allowed to make public sales pitches like, "Go talk to your doctor..." about getting a prescription for the shit they are selling.

You know my feeling on pharma ads. Turning American into the land of hypochondriacs one ad at a time. I hate then when I decide to watch the evening news that 85% of the ads are pharma. It would be great if congress or the FCC would do us a favor and limit the number of pharma ads per 1/2 hour to no more than 10% of available ad slots. OK, I'll stop yelling at clouds now, it's dark and I can't even see the clouds.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:29 am

The Pantry wrote:Lost faith in the medical industry many years ago. The "preventative care" thing has just been a rouse to keep getting money out of your pocket, recommending unnecessary tests and/or prescribing unneeded medication. The escalation of health care costs/premiums and the development of what I consider a hypochondriac culture through the media makes me ill.

There's starting to be a lot of epi-pen ads on lately. I wonder why that is.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:11 am

By-Tor wrote:I'm at ground zero of this bull shit.  Luckily with some coupons from our doctor it knocked it down to about $450.   My HSA account took a nice hit Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes? 4177874726    This price hike is also tied to the schools getting grants now for epipens.  The mfr saw free $$$ so got greedy.   I hope congress reams them with an epipen sans lube..
I am with you at ground zero.  My daughter is two and is off the charts in terms of reaction so the allergists says she needs three sets, one at the house, one at daycare, one with her at all times.  

$1,800 a year for fucking epipens (not to mention another $600 and an emergency room visit if she uses one).

Epinephrine has been around for over 100 years, a vial costs less ten bucks retail (enough for 67 epipens, or 133 epipen juniors that my daughter uses).  We live in a great country.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:40 am

MSU addict wrote:
By-Tor wrote:I'm at ground zero of this bull shit.  Luckily with some coupons from our doctor it knocked it down to about $450.   My HSA account took a nice hit Why don't companies learn from other companies' mistakes? 4177874726    This price hike is also tied to the schools getting grants now for epipens.  The mfr saw free $$$ so got greedy.   I hope congress reams them with an epipen sans lube..
I am with you at ground zero.  My daughter is two and is off the charts in terms of reaction so the allergists says she needs three sets, one at the house, one at daycare, one with her at all times.  

$1,800 a year for fucking epipens (not to mention another $600 and an emergency room visit if she uses one).

Epinephrine has been around for over 100 years, a vial costs less ten bucks retail (enough for 67 epipens, or 133 epipen juniors that my daughter uses).  We live in a great country.
That sucks bro. Hopefully you'll never have to use one. I tried to convince my wife that the exp date on those things are very likely bogus but she tuned me out right away. Was trying to squeeze one more year out of last years pens.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:44 am

MSU addict wrote:

I know nothing of epipens so there is probably a good explanation for this, but why couldn't you just get some disposable syringes and just buy some cheap vials instead?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:46 am

MSU addict wrote:

if she has one with her at all times, why does she need the other two? (Not being funny, I am serious.)
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:09 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

I know nothing of epipens so there is probably a good explanation for this, but why couldn't you just get some disposable syringes and just buy some cheap vials instead?
In theory you could, that is what a lot of EMT's have moved to and that is what she gets when she goes to the hospital.  

That said, there is just no way a doctor writes a script for a vial of epinephrine for someone who's kid has allergies.  I would think the chance of a mistake and incorrect dosage is too great, especially under stress and when your kid goes into anaphylactic shock it is bit stressful.

What we get is a prescription a for three sets of epipens (they are only sold in a two pack).  Each set costs $600, (FWIW the $100 coupon they offer is only good on the first set).

If the doctor writes the script for epipens, you cannot fill it with a "generic."  There is no generic - the script if for the auto injector and the other companies have a different auto injector that the government says are not the same.  Not that it matters much - it is like the diamond market - the competitors have all raised there prices so even those are around $500.00.

No new technology, no research and development - just a 500+% price increase.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:27 pm

TheReal_LWS wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

if she has one with her at all times, why does she need the other two? (Not being funny, I am serious.)
I asked the same question.  

As I said, my daughter is two.  She is too young to actually carry it on her person, it stays with her "diaper bag" (she is actually potty trained).  If you have never seen an epipen - they are big around 6" x 1" times two with the holder around 6" x 3".

She is most likely to have a reaction at home or at daycare (actually more likely at daycare, as our house has been scoured of any potential problems and we just don't buy or eat anything she in allergic to).  The thought is they want a set out in the open, clearly accessible at all times at home and at daycare.  There is just too much risk to have to locate the "floating" set.  She needs an injection within about 5 minutes and you are under stress when it happens - imagine your kid with throwing up, her eyes rolling back, losing consciousness and having difficulty breathing, it is not fun.

I do not mind having three sets.  I do not mind paying for three sets.  But yeah, I am offended at a 500% price increase for something that my daughter must have and there is no rational justification for that price increase except greed.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:22 am

Apparently you can buy a two pack in Canada without a prescription for $113, or around 10% of what your insurance company gets charged in the U.S.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:41 am

My nephew has a severe nut allergy that was diagnosed when he was 2. They have been buying them from Canada since the cost doubled.

Canada sells the pen that is manufactured by a pharamceutical company in England.
But you know how dangerous Canadian and English medicine are.
They are very dangerous to the bottom lines of US drug companies like Mylan.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down