Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's

+3
DWags
Dr. Strangelove
tGreenWay
7 posters

Go down

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's Empty And then there was one - Howard Johnson's

Post by Guest August 27th 2016, 1:35 pm

I didn't know any of them were still open. A blast from the past, younger kids don't know how big they were back in the 60s and 70s. But then again many icons from that era are gone or slipping away - Burger Chef, Montgomery Ward among others.

Howard Johnson’s restaurant to close in Maine, leaving only 1 more

BANGOR, Maine (AP) — The closing of one of the last two Howard Johnson restaurants in a couple of weeks will mark the end of its fried clam strips, ice cream and other menu staples that nourished baby boomers and leave the once-proud restaurant chain teetering on the brink of extinction.

The slice of roadside Americana will no longer be served up in Bangor after Sept. 6.

For waitress Kathe Jewett, it’s the only job she’s held since starting work when the restaurant opened in 1966.

“It’s bittersweet, but it’s nothing to be sad about,” the 68-year-old Jewett insisted Tuesday during a break from serving customers. “I’ve been here for 50 years — and it’s time.”

The closing will leave only one Howard Johnson restaurant, in Lake George, New York.

Before falling on hard times, Howard Johnson took restaurant franchises to a new level. The orange-roofed eateries once numbered more than 800, with the New England-based restaurant chain predating the ubiquitous Howard Johnson hotels.

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's 150812213.9O1rJ7Bv.19__Howard_5Htext
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's Empty Re: And then there was one - Howard Johnson's

Post by tGreenWay August 27th 2016, 2:37 pm

I miss Stuckeys.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's Empty Re: And then there was one - Howard Johnson's

Post by Dr. Strangelove August 27th 2016, 2:50 pm

tGreenWay wrote:I miss Stuckeys.

Come to the Carolinas
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags August 27th 2016, 3:16 pm

Burger chef and Jeff and now hojo's

A part of me is dead.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson August 27th 2016, 4:02 pm

Damn i used to love me some HoJo fried clams when I was a kid.

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's 2Q==
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay August 27th 2016, 4:13 pm

DWags wrote:Burger chef and Jeff and now hojo's

A part of me is dead.

That's what your wife told me about you when we were in bed a few months ago.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay August 27th 2016, 4:14 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I miss Stuckeys.

Come to the Carolinas

One Pee-can log roll, please.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 27th 2016, 4:14 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Damn i used to love me some HoJo fried clams when I was a kid.

So you were the Super Sailor?

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's IMG_0012
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson August 27th 2016, 4:18 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Damn i used to love me some HoJo fried clams when I was a kid.

So you were the Super Sailor?

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's IMG_0012

Fuck yeah.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags August 27th 2016, 4:45 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

A part of me is dead.

She must of left out the part where I gave her the ZIKA. How you feeling man?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay August 27th 2016, 4:51 pm

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

She must of left out the part where I gave her the ZIKA. How you feeling man?

I'm feeling great, but there's going to be a bunch of coeds pushing buggies around campus carrying tiny-headed babies over the next several months.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry August 27th 2016, 6:42 pm

Trying to remember where the locations were around here. Think there was one on Van Dyke north of what is now 696. Maybe one in the 13 Mile & Woodward area? Remember one on 75 north of the old drawbridge in Zilwaukee.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson August 27th 2016, 6:45 pm

The Pantry wrote:Trying to remember where the locations were around here.  Think there was one on Van Dyke north of what is now 696.  Maybe one in the 13 Mile & Woodward area?  Remember one on 75 north of the old drawbridge in Zilwaukee.

Definitely 13 & Woodward area. That was clam central for me.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay August 27th 2016, 6:48 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Trying to remember where the locations were around here.  Think there was one on Van Dyke north of what is now 696.  Maybe one in the 13 Mile & Woodward area?  Remember one on 75 north of the old drawbridge in Zilwaukee.

Go on....And then there was one - Howard Johnson's 3434560931
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry August 27th 2016, 6:54 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Do you remember exactly where? I'm drawing a blank
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay August 27th 2016, 6:57 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

That's another thing DWags' wife mentioned about him.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 27th 2016, 7:03 pm

I sent this link to my sisters earlier, they're now talking a road trip to NY to get the fried clams before that one closes. LOL, old people with time on their hands do silly things.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson August 27th 2016, 7:15 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I know it was on Woodward. I just can't remember if it was between 12 & 13 or 13 & 14.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson August 27th 2016, 7:17 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

I sent this link to my sisters earlier, they're now talking a road trip to NY to get the fried clams before that one closes. LOL, old people with time on their hands do silly things.

This would be cheaper, if they can find them.

And then there was one - Howard Johnson's 846719857_1b8cc5f430
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry August 27th 2016, 7:52 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Do you remember exactly where? I'm drawing a blank

I know it was on Woodward. I just can't remember if it was between 12 & 13 or 13 & 14.
Found a list. The Royal Oak location was the SE corner of Coolidge and Woodward. The Van Dyke location I remembered was actually south of 10 Mile. The I-75 location by Zilwaukee must have been a motor lodge.

Michigan HoJo's
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson August 27th 2016, 7:58 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Found a list. The Royal Oak location was the SE corner of Coolidge and Woodward. The Van Dyke location I remembered was actually south of 10 Mile. The I-75 location by Zilwaukee must have been a motor lodge.

Michigan HoJo's

Good find. Here's another discussion.

Howard Johnsons in 1970s Detroit
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan August 27th 2016, 8:13 pm

When I graduated from MSU and went on the road in sales in the early 80's HoJo Motor Lodge's were all over and because of the restaurant made it an easy choice.

But a decade later Holiday Inn Express and at least a half dozen other competitors appeared on the hotel side and at least a dozen others like Cracker Barrel, Appleby's had HoJo in their sights.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags August 27th 2016, 10:05 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:When I graduated from MSU and went on the road in sales in the early 80's HoJo Motor Lodge's were all over and because of the restaurant made it an easy choice.

But a decade later Holiday Inn Express and at least a half dozen other competitors appeared on the hotel side and at least a dozen others like Cracker Barrel, Appleby's had HoJo in their sights.

A friend told me McDonald's would do all these traffic studies and point of stop studies and decide where to put a new place. Burger King had caught on and just would look to buy a place near it and plop one down near it. They knew McDonald's was spending money and time figuring this shit out and they'd just find a place for a franchise and keep pace. Don't know if it's bullshit or not but it makes sense
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry August 27th 2016, 10:19 pm

DWags wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:When I graduated from MSU and went on the road in sales in the early 80's HoJo Motor Lodge's were all over and because of the restaurant made it an easy choice.

A friend told me McDonald's would do all these traffic studies and point of stop studies and decide where to put a new place. Burger King had caught on and just would look to buy a place near it and plop one down near it. They knew McDonald's was spending money and time figuring this shit out and they'd just find a place for a franchise and keep pace. Don't know if it's bullshit or not but it makes sense
Tim Hortons has done the same thing around here with Dunkin' Donuts. Put a store near a DD on Dequindre south of 12 Mile. Same thing on Groesbeck south of 12. The location they put on Mound north of 16 years ago put the DD south of 16 out of business.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags August 27th 2016, 10:22 pm

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:

Tim Hortons has done the same thing around here with Dunkin' Donuts. Put a store near a DD on Dequindre south of 12 Mile. Same thing on Groesbeck south of 12. The location they put on Mound north of 16 years ago put the DD south of 16 out of business.

Seems legit to do. Let one company spend the money and time and just piggyback it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn August 27th 2016, 10:50 pm

A part of me is dead.

Did you know a guy named Jingles worked at the Burger Chef is St. Johns in high school ?

They called him burger Jeff. Did you know his real name is Jeff ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags August 27th 2016, 11:24 pm

duffy munn wrote:

A part of me is dead.

Did you know a guy named Jingles worked at the Burger Chef is St. Johns in high school ?

They called him burger Jeff. Did you know his real name is Jeff ?

Hahaha
I knew a guy from the old world gentry. Never would guess those people would work at the burger chef and Jeff.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down