Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

has izzo finally learned his lesson?

+28
MasonGuy
Duke Silver
Son of Sparta
WBill
tTito
Danny Tanner
Gob Bluth
Gus Chiggins
Watch Out Pylon!
MSULordyoda
SpartanMikey
Ted Brogan
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
The_Dude
Mentalstate
kingstonlake
SpartyHard
CheesySpartan
tanfan!
duffy munn
Green Note
Giant Moose
Bizarro Fletch
Kevin McCallister
CrazySparty
Death Roe
Blanch32
32 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

has izzo finally learned his lesson? Empty has izzo finally learned his lesson?

Post by Blanch32 2014-05-21, 12:23

Stop recruiting skinny 1 D white players. From ken miller, to Jason Andreas, to tsherminator, to Tyrone deacon. All busts. And now we add two more to this long list.

Jason Klein has been the lone exception. Def not the rule
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

has izzo finally learned his lesson? Empty Re: has izzo finally learned his lesson?

Post by Death Roe 2014-05-21, 12:24

Yes, because he should listen to basketball experts like yourself on all decisions he makes.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

has izzo finally learned his lesson? Empty Re: has izzo finally learned his lesson?

Post by CrazySparty 2014-05-21, 12:25

Costello, Suton, Paul Davis...
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin McCallister 2014-05-21, 12:27

AJ Granger says hello
Kevin McCallister
Kevin McCallister
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-21, 12:29

CrazySparty wrote:Costello, Suton, Paul Davis...

He was careful to throw in the "skinny" qualifier. Savvy troll.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-05-21, 12:31

I don't know if avoiding skinny white kids is the answer, but I wish we could have a do-over with that 2010 class Izzo recruited.

Besides Payne, we had three players who just weren't what we needed at all. Appling, even when healthy, couldn't carry a team to a Final Four and Byrd/Gauna never should have had scholarships.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin McCallister 2014-05-21, 12:35

Byrd was very heavily recruited out of HS... he wasn't some abstract player Izzo found
Kevin McCallister
Kevin McCallister
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-21, 12:41

Giant Moose wrote:I don't know if avoiding skinny white kids is the answer, but I wish we could have a do-over with that 2010 class Izzo recruited.

Besides Payne, we had three players who just weren't what we needed at all. Appling, even when healthy, couldn't carry a team to a Final Four and Byrd/Gauna never should have had scholarships.

The "healthy Appling and Byrd" debate can never be resolved, so I won't bother to wade into it, but IMHO it's hard to call any class that has a first round draft pick in it a bust - especially because more draft picks are exactly what Izzo needs on the recruiting trail right now. While I was sad to see the team lose in the Elite 8, I wasn't one who put a lot of stock in the value of the "every class a Final Four" talking point. I don't think there's a single major recruit who sees himself staying at any school four years anyway. Until "one and done" is scrapped what we need is draft picks to point to, and AP obviously helps with that.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-05-21, 12:46

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

The "healthy Appling and Byrd" debate can never be resolved, so I won't bother to wade into it, but IMHO it's hard to call any class that has a first round draft pick in it a bust - especially because more draft picks are exactly what Izzo needs on the recruiting trail right now.  While I was sad to see the team lose in the Elite 8, I wasn't one who put a lot of stock in the value of the "every class a Final Four" talking point.  I don't think there's a single major recruit who sees himself staying at any school four years anyway.  Until "one and done" is scrapped what we need is draft picks to point to, and AP obviously helps with that.
He needs more first round draft picks that go early to help with the elite players who don't see themselves as 4-year-players. If Harris goes in the first round that is much more important than Payne going in the first round.

I consider this class a bust since they were the first to not get to a Final Four under Izzo. Even if you weren't one to put a lot of stock in it, players seemed to value it, and it's been well-documented that Appling was very upset about ending the streak.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note 2014-05-21, 12:53

lorbek

Last edited by Green Note on 2014-05-21, 15:12; edited 1 time in total
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-05-21, 12:57

Ishbia and Deacon ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-21, 13:02

Giant Moose wrote:
He needs more first round draft picks that go early to help with the elite players who don't see themselves as 4-year-players. If Harris goes in the first round that is much more important than Payne going in the first round.

I consider this class a bust since they were the first to not get to a Final Four under Izzo. Even if you weren't one to put a lot of stock in it, players seemed to value it, and it's been well-documented that Appling was very upset about ending the streak.

I don't get the kid. He was on fire during the big tournament. He was back to scoring 10 to 14 points and hitting his jumper. Then he stopped shooting in the dance. Really needed him against ucon to drive to the basket like he did in the big tourny and he never tried. Oh well.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2014-05-21, 13:04

Giant Moose wrote:I don't know if avoiding skinny white kids is the answer, but I wish we could have a do-over with that 2010 class Izzo recruited.

KA was not 100% in the tourney this year...KA in Nov/Dec was one of the best PGs in the country and that version of him would have given MSU a serious chance at winning the NC IMO.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-21, 13:04

Neitzel. Lock Thread.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-05-21, 13:05

We should all learn our lesson to not open your dumb ass threads
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-05-21, 13:10

CheesySpartan wrote:

KA was not 100% in the tourney this year...KA in Nov/Dec was one of the best PGs in the country and that version of him would have given MSU a serious chance at winning the NC IMO.
Yes, I know he wasn't healthy but even healthy Appling with a 1 and a 3 seed in prior tourneys didn't get us there. 2012-2014 actually were the best 3 consecutive years of seeding we've had since 2001.

It really was a lost opportunity the past 3 years, and at MSU the PG has to feel heat for that. It's just the way it is.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-21, 13:19

Appling wasn't a PG, he became one. To the point of being the best pg in the nation until he got hurt. With him, we destroy UConn. Their one big match-up advantage is gone.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-21, 13:20

Giant Moose wrote:

My point was that I don't think any big time recruits are making decisions based on a cleverly contrived "streak" of four-year players making Final Fours because none of them plan to play four years anyway. Yes, Appling and Payne were disappointed they broke the streak, but I don't think any recruits will be lost because it ended. The streak was still intact when Jabari, Alexander, etc. all turned Izzo down. They want to play where they'll have the best chance to jump to the pros the fastest.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-05-21, 13:20

Tanfan! wrote:

I don't get the kid. He was on fire during the big tournament. He was back to scoring 10 to 14 points and hitting his jumper. Then he stopped shooting in the dance. Really needed him against ucon to drive to the basket like he did in the big tourny and he never tried. Oh well.

Appling will forever remain an enigma, but the bottom line is he just didn't have 'it' whether it be the mental fortitude or whatever.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-05-21, 13:22

The_Dude wrote:

Appling will forever remain an enigma, but the bottom line is he just didn't have 'it' whether it be the mental fortitude or whatever.

Shut the **** up. Don't even start with your retarded basketball "analysis" on this board.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-05-21, 13:23

Tuna with Miracle Whip, bitches, in a pita pocket. Cape Cod chips. Lots of coffee.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-05-21, 13:24

Mentalstate wrote:Appling wasn't a PG, he became one. To the point of being the best pg in the nation until he got hurt. With him, we destroy UConn. Their one big match-up advantage is gone.

Possibly the most delusional post I've read on the internets.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-05-21, 13:25

Mentalstate wrote:Appling wasn't a PG, he became one.
That's part of the problem I was referring to when I was talking about this class and Appling being not exactly what we needed there.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-05-21, 13:30

Byrd, at the time, had other solid offers and was supposed to be a player for us. Injuries and the lack of a killer instinct seemed to doom him.

But, I don't think Gauna should have ever gotten offered a scholarship. People said it originally on here when he committed, and they were right. He did not belong on the court.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin McCallister 2014-05-21, 13:39

SpartyHard wrote:Neitzel. Lock Thread.

wow, how did it take that long for Neitzel to be brought up? Nice work
Kevin McCallister
Kevin McCallister
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Brogan 2014-05-21, 13:48

I once said that Gauna's ceiling was to be a player similar to (but not as good as) Kevin Love.

scratch 

Ted Brogan
Ted Brogan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-05-21, 13:50

Kevin McCallister wrote:

wow, how did it take that long for Neitzel to be brought up? Nice work

Howdy do? This is Mr. McCallister, the father. I'd like a hotel room, please...

Anyway, I opened this with the purpose of mentioning Neitzel as well.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSULordyoda 2014-05-21, 13:52

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Byrd, at the time, had other solid offers and was supposed to be a player for us. Injuries and the lack of a killer instinct seemed to doom him.

But, I don't think Gauna should have ever gotten offered a scholarship. People said it originally on here when he committed, and they were right. He did not belong on the court.

Tubby Smith wanted Byrd pretty badly at Kentucky.
MSULordyoda
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-05-21, 14:07

CrazySparty wrote:Costello, Suton, Paul Davis...

...and none of those dudes are or were one dimensional
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-05-21, 14:10

Mentalstate wrote:Appling wasn't a PG, he became one. To the point of being the best pg in the nation until he got hurt. With him, we destroy UConn. Their one big match-up advantage is gone.

Destroyed?? Ok mad sunshine from the blowers
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-05-21, 14:13

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

The "healthy Appling and Byrd" debate can never be resolved, so I won't bother to wade into it, but IMHO it's hard to call any class that has a first round draft pick in it a bust - especially because more draft picks are exactly what Izzo needs on the recruiting trail right now. While I was sad to see the team lose in the Elite 8, I wasn't one who put a lot of stock in the value of the "every class a Final Four" talking point. I don't think there's a single major recruit who sees himself staying at any school four years anyway. Until "one and done" is scrapped what we need is draft picks to point to, and AP obviously helps with that.

Your kidding yourself if the streak didn't help recruit Payne and Appling. Course I'm not sure that's the route we needed to take....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-05-21, 14:24

Blanch32 wrote:

...and none of those dudes are or were one dimensional

Now qualifiers when your original argument is nuked?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-05-21, 14:36

Mods, can we get a Blanch mega - thread merge? I thank you in advance.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gus Chiggins 2014-05-21, 14:39

kingstonlake wrote:

Now qualifiers when your original argument is nuked?

In fairness to Potato Cakes, he did say "1 D," by which he apparently meant one dimensional. Although with him, he could simply have been try to spell "wand" or "want" or something.
Gus Chiggins
Gus Chiggins
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-21, 14:46

Blanch32 wrote:

Your kidding yourself if the streak didn't help recruit Payne and Appling.  Course I'm not sure that's the route we needed to take....

Reeding compreehanson fail.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-05-21, 20:16

I don't know what's worse, your fucking pathetic level of basketball knowledge, or your GLIAC-level spelling abilities.
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Tanner 2014-05-22, 09:45

Forgive those who thought your '1 D' was supposed to be D1 and not 'one-dimensional'. It's like playing charades with cerebral palsy
Danny Tanner
Danny Tanner
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-05-22, 09:50

If Gauna retires from the game, who will the Pistons draft?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-05-22, 10:01

No one who watched Appling play in HS could predict that shooting the basketball would be an issue. He was a scoring machine.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Sparta 2014-05-22, 10:49

Tanfan! wrote:

"Oh well"???? What kind of sunshine BS is this? Demand excellence!
Son of Sparta
Son of Sparta
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next