Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tipping Hotel Maids

+20
Other Teams Pursuing That
Triple Sparty
Jake from State Farm
The_Dude
Snake Plissken
Motown Spartan
Nordic
Heat Miser
Cameron
pulling69
The Pantry
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Watch Out Pylon!
Stoops21
WhiteBoyHatcher
P Rob
tGreenWay
Death Roe
Dendrobates
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tipping Hotel Maids Empty Tipping Hotel Maids

Post by Dendrobates Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:11

Do you do this? I know they're always wanting tips, but I didn't know anyone who tops them until today. I'm at a meeting in Boston and my coworker said she tipped her $5. Isn't that their damn job to clean the rooms? That's not a right to a clean room, it's expected. I have never tipped a hotel maid in my life. Am I a jackass for never doing this or is this not really common and just another damn person begging for extra money?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Tipping Hotel Maids Empty Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

Post by Death Roe Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:12

Supposedly $2/day is what is expected.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:27

If my wife leaves the tip, it's $3/day. If I leave the tip, it's $5/day. It the one place we disagree on tipping. They're scrubbing my toilet and making my bed. It's worth it to me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:31

Happy ending? I'll leave spare change. Otherwise, screw that.
P Rob
P Rob
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:32

Really?! So I'm the douchebag? This is common practice?

I have a hard time coming to terms with this. Janitors seen tipped. Maids weren't always tipped (somewhat recent idea). Sure they make shit pay, but it's not a food service that depends on tips since they are paid an hourly wage below min wage. This is not the design for maids. I can see this being a bigger deal for fancier hotels. But for your average Marriott type or holiday inn, this is normal?

Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:32

tGreenWay wrote:If my wife leaves the tip, it's $3/day. If I leave the tip, it's $5/day. It the one place we disagree on tipping. They're scrubbing my toilet and making my bed. It's worth it to me.

But they're not changing your sheets and they're washing your drinking glasses with pledge.

10 Hotel Secrets from Behind the Front Desk

5. ENJOY YOUR LEMONY FRESH GLASSES.

You know what cleans the hell out of a mirror, and I’m talking no streaks? Windex? No. Furniture polish. Spray on a thick white base, rub it in, and you’ll be face-to-face with a spotless, streak-free mirror. However, I am not recommending you take this tip and apply it in your own home. Though using furniture polish is quick and effective, over time it causes a waxy buildup that requires a deep scrub.

The housekeepers kept this move behind closed doors along with another dirty secret I didn’t discover until I walked in on ladies with Pledge in one hand and a minibar glass in the other. Keeping those glasses clean-looking was also part of the job. So the next time you put a little tap water into the glass and wonder why it has a pleasant lemon aftertaste, it’s because you just took a shot of Pledge.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:32

My go to move is I get in the room, lysol the shit out of everything (especially the chairs, remote and bed sheets), remove the disgusting throw covers and pillows from the bed, and put the do not disturb sign on the door for the duration of my stay. If I have a few bucks cash when I check out, I'll leave it. But I don't want someone throwing dose nasty blankets and pillows back on my bed or touching all of my shit while I'm at the office.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:33

Dendrobates wrote:Really?! So I'm the douchebag? This is common practice?

I have a hard time coming to terms with this. Janitors seen tipped. Maids weren't always tipped (somewhat recent idea). Sure they make shit pay, but it's not a food service that depends on tips since they are paid an hourly wage below min wage. This is not the design for maids. I can see this being a bigger deal for fancier hotels. But for your average Marriott type or holiday inn, this is normal?

You are. But for other reasons.
P Rob
P Rob
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:34

No need to worry, when we run away together I'll handle the maid tipping.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:34

Also.... What if you don't have them come in while you're there? They are several towels and I can reuse some. I don't give a shit that they make the bed. Don't get what much value they are adding with a couple bucks of a tip.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:36

LooseGoose wrote:

You loaded? No other reason to run away with you.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:43

Left some cash and left over beer as tip once. The beer was fine and they charged the room for a cleaning fee. Apparently that offended them. So nah
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:46

Never tipped a maid ever. Not going to either.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:46

I think they prefer pesos. Then they don't have to exchange it before sending back home.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:47

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Never tipped a maid ever. Not going to either.

Never even heard of such a thing
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:49

Dendrobates wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

You loaded? No other reason to run away with you.

Not even close, but if that's what you want - give me a couple hours.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 16:49

Dendrobates wrote:Do you do this? I know they're always wanting tips, but I didn't know anyone who tops them until today. I'm at a meeting in Boston and my coworker said she tipped her $5. Isn't that their damn job to clean the rooms? That's not a right to a clean room, it's expected. I have never tipped a hotel maid in my life. Am I a jackass for never doing this or is this not really common and just another damn person begging for extra money?

Never. Plus I make them clean it every day. If I'm traveling I want new towels every day. admittedly I'm spoiled, but I like it.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 17:17

P Rob wrote:

You are. But for other reasons.

Mine is so fresh, it smells like roses
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 17:19

So I am seeing a good mix so far. I really am wondering how common it is. And what real purpose is this adding . The shit isn't clean anyway when they come in. They give you new towels and maybe new cups. That deserves a tip?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 17:23

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:If my wife leaves the tip, it's $3/day. If I leave the tip, it's $5/day. It the one place we disagree on tipping. They're scrubbing my toilet and making my bed. It's worth it to me.

But they're not changing your sheets and they're washing your drinking glasses with pledge.

10 Hotel Secrets from Behind the Front Desk

5. ENJOY YOUR LEMONY FRESH GLASSES.

You know what cleans the hell out of a mirror, and I’m talking no streaks? Windex? No. Furniture polish. Spray on a thick white base, rub it in, and you’ll be face-to-face with a spotless, streak-free mirror. However, I am not recommending you take this tip and apply it in your own home. Though using furniture polish is quick and effective, over time it causes a waxy buildup that requires a deep scrub.

The housekeepers kept this move behind closed doors along with another dirty secret I didn’t discover until I walked in on ladies with Pledge in one hand and a minibar glass in the other. Keeping those glasses clean-looking was also part of the job. So the next time you put a little tap water into the glass and wonder why it has a pleasant lemon aftertaste, it’s because you just took a shot of Pledge.

Yeah, I'm aware of that article. It opened my eyes to the Pledge trick. Now, I'll give glasses a closer look, touch, and smell. I'll also use the sealed plastic cups of they're available.
As for the sheets, I don't need new sheets every day, just make the bed and I'm happy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 17:24

Dendrobates wrote:So I am seeing a good mix so far. I really am wondering how common it is. And what real purpose is this adding . The shit isn't clean anyway when they come in. They give you new towels and maybe new cups. That deserves a tip?

And as WBH pointed out those bedspreads NEVER get washed or changed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 17:28

LooseGoose wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:So I am seeing a good mix so far. I really am wondering how common it is. And what real purpose is this adding . The shit isn't clean anyway when they come in. They give you new towels and maybe new cups. That deserves a tip?

I already knew that. And I could tell. On more than 1 occasion I have found make up on the sheets. I call the front desk and get that shit changed. Otherwise, I try to live in denial about how filthy hotel rooms really are.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 17:33

P Rob wrote:Happy ending? I'll leave spare change. Otherwise, screw that.
Giant Moose got a new account?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 17:36

If they clean the room like this they will be getting the tip:

Tipping Hotel Maids 199869_01
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 17:44

I almost never stay in hotels. I have never tipped a maid. Do you guys just leave a fiver on the pillow or something? Do you include a note, or do hotel maids assume that any cash they find in the room is a tip?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 18:03

Cameron wrote:I almost never stay in hotels. I have never tipped a maid. Do you guys just leave a fiver on the pillow or something? Do you include a note, or do hotel maids assume that any cash they find in the room is a tip?
You put the tip on the nightstand when you leave to check out at the end of your stay, no matter how many days you've been there.

IMO $3 a day for motels. More for hotels and resorts
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 18:47

The Pantry wrote:
Cameron wrote:I almost never stay in hotels. I have never tipped a maid. Do you guys just leave a fiver on the pillow or something? Do you include a note, or do hotel maids assume that any cash they find in the room is a tip?
You put the tip on the nightstand when you leave to check out at the end of your stay, no matter how many days you've been there.

As someone who has stayed hundreds of nights in hotels I can tell you there is an etiquette. Do not leave money on the bed or nightstand as it implies a "happy ending" type service was rendered. Leave it on the desk or dresser.

I leave $1 each day (should probably do $2). Some folks like to leave it all the $$$ at the end of their stay, but what if it's a different person each day? Sometimes they don't take the $$ & I roll it into the next day.

It's not something that's expected as far as I know & I think it's mostly regular business travelers that do it since we just end up expensing it anyway.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 19:38

Heat Miser wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You put the tip on the nightstand when you leave to check out at the end of your stay, no matter how many days you've been there.

As someone who has stayed hundreds of nights in hotels I can tell you there is an etiquette. Do not leave money on the bed or nightstand as it implies a "happy ending" type service was rendered. Leave it on the desk or dresser.

I leave $1 each day (should probably do $2). Some folks like to leave it all the $$$ at the end of their stay, but what if it's a different person each day? Sometimes they don't take the $$ & I roll it into the next day.

It's not something that's expected as far as I know & I think it's mostly regular business travelers that do it since we just end up expensing it anyway.
I'd like to discuss this further but can you first tell me why I can get on tSwill with my phone but not my laptop?

All other sites work fine on my laptop
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 19:59

The Pantry wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I'd like to discuss this further but can you first tell me why I can get on tSwill with my phone but not my laptop?

Local problem I'm guessing. No issues on my end.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 20:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
The Pantry wrote:I'd like to discuss this further but can you first tell me why I can get on tSwill with my phone but not my laptop?

Local problem I'm guessing. No issues on my end.
It's weird. Both the laptop and phone are running on Wow home WiFi. tSwill is the only site I can't access with the laptop
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 20:27

I usually leave my returnables
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 20:45

Nordic wrote:I usually leave my returnables
Sounds like something Giant Moose douchebag would do
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 20:47

Chances are they're just making the bed and not changing the sheets.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 20:57

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My go to move is I get in the room, lysol the shit out of everything (especially the chairs, remote and bed sheets), remove the disgusting throw covers and pillows from the bed, and put the do not disturb sign on the door for the duration of my stay. If I have a few bucks cash when I check out, I'll leave it. But I don't want someone throwing dose nasty blankets and pillows back on my bed or touching all of my shit while I'm at the office.
This is pretty much what I do. I never let them clean my room until I leave. If I'm on vacation and my kid has left food all over the floor I'll tip but otherwise...
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 21:34

Motown Spartan wrote:

You have to mark your turf if staying more than one night to keep them honest.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 22:05

The Pantry wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

You have to mark your turf if staying more than one night to keep them honest.

Are you suggesting wiping your ass with the white sheets?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 22:30

Motown Spartan wrote:

And that's usually per my request. Most of the places I stay in these days ask you to indicate if you want fresh sheets or just have the bed made up. I don't need clean sheets every night.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 22:35

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You have to mark your turf if staying more than one night to keep them honest.

Are you suggesting wiping your ass with the white sheets?
That's one of a few options but I prefer using the pillow cases and leaving them on the bathroom floor with the wet towels
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 22:40

Dendrobates wrote:Do you do this? I know they're always wanting tips, but I didn't know anyone who tops them until today. I'm at a meeting in Boston and my coworker said she tipped her $5. Isn't that their damn job to clean the rooms? That's not a right to a clean room, it's expected. I have never tipped a hotel maid in my life. Am I a jackass for never doing this or is this not really common and just another damn person begging for extra money?

Yeah kind of a jackass. I normally leave $5 for a weekend stay.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri 23 Sep 2016 - 6:24

LooseGoose wrote:

They're probably cleaner than the remote that someone that just got done picking their nose used.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next