Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tipping Hotel Maids

+20
Other Teams Pursuing That
Triple Sparty
Jake from State Farm
The_Dude
Snake Plissken
Motown Spartan
Nordic
Heat Miser
Cameron
pulling69
The Pantry
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Watch Out Pylon!
Stoops21
WhiteBoyHatcher
P Rob
tGreenWay
Death Roe
Dendrobates
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tipping Hotel Maids - Page 2 Empty Re: Tipping Hotel Maids

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-09-23, 08:20

Five bucks a day. Don't be cheapskates.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-09-23, 08:43

The_Dude wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:Do you do this? I know they're always wanting tips, but I didn't know anyone who tops them until today. I'm at a meeting in Boston and my coworker said she tipped her $5. Isn't that their damn job to clean the rooms? That's not a right to a clean room, it's expected. I have never tipped a hotel maid in my life. Am I a jackass for never doing this or is this not really common and just another damn person begging for extra money?

Yeah kind of a jackass. I normally leave $5 for a weekend stay.

No you don't.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-09-23, 08:43

Well, I'm still not convinced that tipping is a must. If I left the place like a bomb went off, sure I will. But I don't. I sleep in the bed, use some towels, and only use disposable cups (usually bring my own water bottle and refill it). I don't get why that involves tipping someone.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-09-23, 08:46

Do maids get paid just like waitresses? If not get the fuck out of here with tipping them. Fucking stupid.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-09-23, 08:47

Dendrobates wrote:Well, I'm still not convinced that tipping is a must. If I left the place like a bomb went off, sure I will. But I don't. I sleep in the bed, use some towels, and only use disposable cups (usually bring my own water bottle and refill it). I don't get why that involves tipping someone.

You're good. Don't sweat it.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-09-23, 08:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Do maids get paid just like waitresses? If not get the fuck out of here with tipping them. Fucking stupid.

No, they don't get paid like waitresses. Which is why I'm surprised so many do tip.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-09-23, 09:39

Three bucks is fine too. I always appreciate having the bed made, trash emptied, and soaps refilled. So you guys only tip people who make less than minimum wage? So valets, bell hops, and cab drivers are out of luck?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-09-23, 09:59

I tip the chick that cuts my hair and cab drivers and valets because it's common practice. Tipping maids is not. Do you tip everyone that provides a service for you?

I think tipping in general is pretty dumb. Most jobs offer a service to other people, yet most don't get tipped. Get rid of it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-09-23, 10:04

The car wash I use has a tip container for the dude drying my car. I've never tipped. I tip waitstaff at restaurants over 30% so I am not anti-tipping.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-09-23, 10:16

How many tip the barrista? Yes, I generally tip people who provide a service that I'm not posting for directly.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-09-23, 10:21

I don't drink coffee because I'm not a soccer mom.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-09-23, 10:36

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't drink coffee because I'm not a soccer mom.

Not sure how A relates to B, but ok.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-23, 11:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't drink coffee because I'm not a soccer mom.

I learn something new every day here. Tipping Hotel Maids - Page 2 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-09-23, 11:40

Made me think of this oldie

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-09-23, 11:53

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I tip the chick that cuts my hair and cab drivers and valets because it's common practice. Tipping maids is not. Do you tip everyone that provides a service for you?

I think tipping in general is pretty dumb. Most jobs offer a service to other people, yet most don't get tipped. Get rid of it.

Yea I agree with this. But I will also go out of my way to not use those services. And yea, that's always been common practice. Maid service tips are not common practice. As for baristas...no I don't tip them either. The whole tipping thing is ridiculous for every damn thing. I also go to a coffee shop maybe once a year anyway.

The way it's going, every damn job is going to demand a tip. I just don't see what hotel maid service is doing that feel they deserve a tip. (Now if someone trashed the place, that's a diff story).
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-23, 12:09

I use the tip to grease the wheels. If I'm staying for a few days (often, for work), I will tip like 10 bucks the first day. You would be amazed how much more they pay attention to your room after that. Is it right? Hell I don't know. They should be cleaning every room well, I guess. But it works. I think it's worth 10 extra bucks to know that the toilet will be properly cleaned and your sheets will be fresh and the floor will be vacuumed.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2016-09-23, 15:08

Triple Sparty wrote:How many tip the barrista? Yes, I generally tip people who provide a service that I'm not posting for directly.

Well, I don't drink coffee unless it's cold out, when I do I drink it black, and I've never even been in a starbucks or similar chain establishment, so I don't have any first hand experience. But tipping the barista would feel to me akin to tipping the person at Qdoba who makes my burrito, which I don't do and don't view as necessary in any way.

Do you tip at McDonalds? What is Starbucks, really, if not the McDonalds of coffee?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-23, 15:53

I don't know... I mean back before I got an education, I know I appreciated tips. Low wage jobs suck. Have a fucking heart
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-09-23, 16:29

Cameron wrote:
Triple Sparty wrote:How many tip the barrista? Yes, I generally tip people who provide a service that I'm not posting for directly.

Well, I don't drink coffee unless it's cold out, when I do I drink it black, and I've never even been in a starbucks or similar chain establishment, so I don't have any first hand experience. But tipping the barista would feel to me akin to tipping the person at Qdoba who makes my burrito, which I don't do and don't view as necessary in any way.

Do you tip at McDonalds? What is Starbucks, really, if not the McDonalds of coffee?

Don't knock McCafe coffee. Shit is legit.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2016-09-23, 16:38

Damn, is this a thing? I travel for a living, sitting in the Sky Club at DTW right now on my way to Seattle as a matter of fact. Didn't know this was a common practice. Gonna have to get a consensus from the crew when we have our morning meeting tomorrow. Most people I see don't even tip the valets. I do, btw.

Seems like a hassle, btw. I'm not in the habit of carrying that much small cash on me. Valets twice a day, maid once a day; I hardly carry any cash on me. Maybe I can start Android Paying tips or something.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-09-23, 16:39

StylesGShmooth wrote:Damn, is this a thing?  I travel for a living, sitting in the Sky Club at DTW right now on my way to Seattle as a matter of fact.  Didn't know this was a common practice.  Gonna have to get a consensus from the crew when we have our morning meeting tomorrow.  Most people I see don't even tip the valets.  I do, btw.  

Seems like a hassle, btw.  I'm not in the habit of carrying that much small cash on me.  Valets twice a day, maid once a day; I hardly carry any cash on me.  Maybe I can start Android Paying tips or something.  

Do you regularly travel on weekends? I hate having to do that. Luckily it's not too often.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-09-23, 16:42

This has been a thing for years. Like decades. I'm surprised people didn't know this. It's not required but it's nice.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-09-23, 17:02

This whole thread has blown my mind. It has never occurred to me to tip hotel cleaning staff. I feel like a dickhead.
I tip a shitload to bartenders and waitstaff. Pizza delivery, yes. Drivers, yes. Barbers, yes. Baristas? No.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-23, 17:13

StylesGShmooth wrote:Damn, is this a thing?  I travel for a living, sitting in the Sky Club at DTW right now on my way to Seattle as a matter of fact.  Didn't know this was a common practice.  Gonna have to get a consensus from the crew when we have our morning meeting tomorrow.  Most people I see don't even tip the valets.  I do, btw.  

Seems like a hassle, btw.  I'm not in the habit of carrying that much small cash on me.  Valets twice a day, maid once a day; I hardly carry any cash on me.  Maybe I can start Android Paying tips or something.  

Or get a few hundred in cash when you travel.  It's smart anyways to pay in cash when you're travelling.

Edit: PS, who the fuck doesn't tip valets?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-09-23, 17:15

Rocinante wrote:I don't know... I mean back before I got an education, I know I appreciated tips. Low wage jobs suck. Have a fucking heart

I get what you're saying. But there are a ton of low paying service jobs which no one gives a tip. This is really a new thought to me. I can see it in a way, but I still don't agree with it.

People at fast food chains can bust their ass working. Hell, I did tbat shit when I was younger. Another job I was at contingent janitor job. I was scrubbing disgusting shit all day long. Tips would never happen nor expected. I worked in a hospital for years in the food service delivering patients their food. My husband was a janitor/housekeeping for the hospital at the same time. They and I freaking busted our asses for shit pay. No way would I tip those people today (and they make even less now than when we worked tbere years ago). Nurses also bust their asses and have shit pay. Also a service industry with no pay.

So for jobs in the service industry that don't require any degrees, they all work hard, and most don't receive tips and it's silly to do so. I certainly don't want to be a jackass, but I don't get the reasoning to tip this all the time.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-23, 17:19

Dendrobates wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I don't know... I mean back before I got an education, I know I appreciated tips. Low wage jobs suck. Have a fucking heart

I get what you're saying. But there are a ton of low paying service jobs which no one gives a tip. This is really a new thought to me. I can see it in a way, but I still don't agree with it.

People at fast food chains can bust their ass working. Hell, I did tbat shit when I was younger. Another job I was at contingent janitor job. I was scrubbing disgusting shit all day long. Tips would never happen nor expected. I worked in a hospital for years in the food service delivering patients their food. My husband was a janitor/housekeeping for the hospital at the same time. They and I freaking busted our asses for shit pay. No way would I tip those people today (and they make even less now than when we worked tbere years ago). Nurses also bust their asses and have shit pay. Also a service industry with no pay.

So for jobs in the service industry that don't require any degrees, they all work hard, and most don't receive tips and it's silly to do so. I certainly don't want to be a jackass, but I don't get the reasoning to tip this all the time.

Nurse have upward mobility and if they stick around will make a good living. McDonald's is not a career. Often, maid is. I know it's not consistent, but this person is around your shit and cleans the toilet you're going to be taking a shit in. I don't know. I didn't do it when I was younger, but I do now and they're always appreciative.

I'm not judging though. Do what you think is right.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-09-23, 17:21

StylesGShmooth wrote:Damn, is this a thing? I travel for a living, sitting in the Sky Club at DTW right now on my way to Seattle as a matter of fact. Didn't know this was a common practice. Gonna have to get a consensus from the crew when we have our morning meeting tomorrow. Most people I see don't even tip the valets. I do, btw.

Seems like a hassle, btw. I'm not in the habit of carrying that much small cash on me. Valets twice a day, maid once a day; I hardly carry any cash on me. Maybe I can start Android Paying tips or something.

I travel a lot for work too . I rarely have cash on me. Everything while I travel is expensed. I bust my ass for work and barely have cash leftover either. Most weeks I'm trying to figure out groceries without over drafting our account. Although I will say, we would be pretty well off if my husband's income based student loans weren't more than our mortgage.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-09-23, 17:27

Rocinante wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Nurse have upward mobility and if they stick around will make a good living. McDonald's is not a career. Often, maid is. I know it's not consistent, but this person is around your shit and cleans the toilet you're going to be taking a shit in. I don't know. I didn't do it when I was younger, but I do now and they're always appreciative.

As I said, I do get it. I guess just not enough to convince me to do it all the time. Lately, I haven't been letting them change anything in the room because it doesn't need anything. I shit the toilet during those days, no one else. It's fine with me. Ive scrubbed shit, crusted old piss, cum, and blood (women are disgusting). It is what it is I guess.

Many of the other service jobs are careers though. Including janitor and many fast food workers. But what's cool about that is McDonald's will pay people to go to college for business and work there. I was sad my BIL turned it down. He would have really benefited it.

I might tip a maid now here or there. Maybe I will try it in the beginning too and see if I notice some difference. But I definitely agree if you trash the place or leave it disgusting, then you better leave a nice tip.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-09-23, 17:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:This has been a thing for years. Like decades. I'm surprised people didn't know this. It's not required but it's nice.

This. I probably started tipping around ~'95 on biz trips to Chicago. I don't know if it's considered common practice, but it is a practice. Regardless, tip the maid, don't tip the maid, decide for yourself.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-23, 17:41

Dendrobates wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

As I said, I do get it. I guess just not enough to convince me to do it all the time. Lately, I haven't been letting them change anything in the room because it doesn't need anything. I shit the toilet during those days, no one else. It's fine with me. Ive scrubbed shit, crusted old piss, cum, and blood (women are disgusting). It is what it is I guess.

Many of the other service jobs are careers though. Including janitor and many fast food workers. But what's cool about that is McDonald's will pay people to go to college for business and work there. I was sad my BIL turned it down. He would have really benefited it.

I might tip a maid now here or there. Maybe I will try it in the beginning too and see if I notice some difference. But I definitely agree if you trash the place or leave it disgusting, then you better leave a nice tip.

Great. Now I have to clean up.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-09-23, 17:56

I've never heard of tipping each day. Have always tipped based on the number of nights when I'm leaving the room to check out.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-23, 18:06

The Pantry wrote:I've never heard of tipping each day. Have always tipped based on the number of nights when I'm leaving the room to check out.

Tipping daily is my own philosophy just to actually get something for my money.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-09-23, 18:13

The Pantry wrote:I've never heard of tipping each day. Have always tipped based on the number of nights when I'm leaving the room to check out.

Some tip daily because they don't know if it's the same person from housekeeping each day (as someone mentioned ITT). I've tipped both ways. I was staying someplace recently where an envelope was left on a side table and an accompanying note explained the envelope was to be used for any optional gratuity and left at the desk for the one specific member of the staff assigned to our room. The note also explained how the tip was entirely voluntary and anything left would be greatly appreciated.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-09-23, 18:32

Rocinante wrote:

Do you leave the money with a note stating that it's a tip?

Guess I look at it as, if they are taking money from my room while I'm still staying there, it's more like stealing. Maybe I just left the money there to use in a vending machine after getting back to the room...?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-09-23, 18:36

The Pantry wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Do you leave the money with a note stating that it's a tip?

Guess I look at it as, if they are taking money from my room while I'm still staying there, it's more like stealing. Maybe I just left the money there to use in a vending machine after getting back to the room...?

I leave a note that says,"Thanks!" with the money left on it. If that doesn't work for you, I've also written, "To Housekeeping, Thanks!" just to be clear.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-09-23, 18:39

Rocinante wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Make sure you leave me a tip afterwards. Razz
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-09-23, 18:43

Dendrobates wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Just the tip...?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2016-09-23, 20:52

The Pantry wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Just the tip...?

Depends on how good of job he does.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-09-23, 21:41

Cameron wrote:

You choose Qdoba over Chipotle?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-23, 21:43

Yes I leave a note.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte