Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any good/entertaining podcasts? Shit, an audio book?

+14
Tim Wakefield
Nordic
SawGreen
Clarett's Folly
Rocinante
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
CheesySpartan
Floyd Robertson
SeeRockCity
Death Roe
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Other Teams Pursuing That
18 posters

Go down

Any good/entertaining podcasts? Shit, an audio book? Empty Any good/entertaining podcasts? Shit, an audio book?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-09-28, 00:40

Need something different to listen to, break up the music binge a little. Anyone got some recommendations? True crime stories would be cool, I really enjoyed the first season of serial.

How does one even come across an audio book? Is it enjoyable to listen to someone else read it? Feel like I would dig it for the most part. Relaxing, no?

Spartanly Yours,

OTPT
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Any good/entertaining podcasts? Shit, an audio book? Empty Re: Any good/entertaining podcasts? Shit, an audio book?

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-09-28, 01:22

Never done an audio book but feel like I would zone out and miss entire chapters.

Joe Rogan is good although I only listen to certain guests. Reasonable Doubt, Start Up, Mystery, Radio Lab. I used to have a long commute but haven't listened to any in a while to know new ones.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Any good/entertaining podcasts? Shit, an audio book? Empty Re: Any good/entertaining podcasts? Shit, an audio book?

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-09-28, 02:14

Radio lab, Mystery Radio, New Yorker Radio Hour, Freakonomics and This American Life
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-09-28, 07:34

How Did This Get Made? Podcast
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-28, 09:21

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Need something different to listen to, break up the music binge a little. Anyone got some recommendations? True crime stories would be cool, I really enjoyed the first season of serial.

How does one even come across an audio book? Is it enjoyable to listen to someone else read it? Feel like I would dig it for the most part. Relaxing, no?

Spartanly Yours,

OTPT

For true crime if you've never read them Vincent Bugliosi's early work is great. Helter Skelter on his prosecution of the Manson Family and The Sea Will Tell - about murder on a little island in the south Pacific.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2016-09-28, 10:01

Audible
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-09-28, 10:18

SeeRockCity wrote:Audible

If you have Prime, I think Audible might even be included now.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2016-09-28, 10:32

Floyd Robertson wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:Audible

It's not included but you can do a 30 day trial which includes 2 free books
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-09-28, 10:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Need something different to listen to, break up the music binge a little. Anyone got some recommendations? True crime stories would be cool, I really enjoyed the first season of serial.

Spartanly Yours,

OTPT
Since you like sports, and like true crime stories, there's a podcast called Crime In Sports. I've never listened to it, but have heard a few people say good things about it. Here's their description: "Two comedians take an unmerciful and hilarious look at athletes who have lost big games...with the law! Crime in Sports does the research, and finds the funny in the world of sports true crime. New episode every week!"

I listen to a fair amount of audiobooks, as I'm in the car about 1.5 hours each day, and don't have much time to read. Most of what I listen to are non-fiction (military, espionage, that kind of thing). I've also downloaded some famous/classic books that I've found for free, but haven't listened to.

Audible (now owned by Amazon) are the primary source, though iTunes, Google Play, etc., have a lot as well. Audible pretty much always has a free trial that includes at least 1 free audiobook of your choice (you just have to cancel your membership at the end of the trial if you don't want to get billed). Librivox has a lot of free audiobooks for books that are in the public domain. Most of the Librivox recordings are read by volunteers, so the quality of the reader can be hit or miss, whereas most of Audible's are professional readers (sometimes even fairly well known actors you've heard of on some of the more popular books).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-09-28, 10:48

CheesySpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

It's not included but you can do a 30 day trial which includes 2 free books

Thanks for setting the record straight on that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-28, 10:49

OTPT, you would probably like this

http://www.edgeofsports.com/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-03-20, 08:23

One of my new favorites is Mozilla's IRL with Veronica Belmont. No idea who she is, but I love her (voice) and the topics are pretty good.

Any good/entertaining podcasts? Shit, an audio book? Veronica_Belmont_Host

Mozilla IRL
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-20, 08:33

Floyd Robertson wrote:One of my new favorites is Mozilla's IRL with Veronica Belmont. No idea who she is, but I love her (voice) and the topics are pretty good.

Mozilla IRL

You're such a slut.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-03-20, 08:49

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:One of my new favorites is Mozilla's IRL with Veronica Belmont. No idea who she is, but I love her (voice) and the topics are pretty good.

Mozilla IRL

You're such a slut.

I just fall in love a lot, and every single time I get my heart broken because they don't acknowledge me.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-04-05, 11:54

Let's update this.

List your podcasts.

Me: Pod save the people, The Daily (NYT), More Perfect, War on the Rocks, Hidden Brain, Teaching Hard History: American Slavery.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-04-05, 12:14

Sword and Scale is pretty solid.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-04-05, 18:37

I've been listening to Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and it has been pretty entertaining.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-13, 22:55

Drew & Mike have a daily podcast. Mike is obviously not there. It's Drew & Marc and sometimes Trudy. Started listening to it this weekend. If you like the radio show, you'll like the podcast. Might actually be better.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-03-13, 23:33

Spittin' Chiclets is great for hockey talk. They've been getting some huge guests lately.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-22, 10:20

This a good one from Rogan. He has on Renée DiResta who did a study on social media trolls, how Russian bots operate, how they influence us, impact on the last election, how they can incite shit, etc. Fitting given the later Izzo outrage. I highly recommend it.

https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cDovL2pvZXJvZ2FuZXhwLmpvZXJvZ2FuLmxpYnN5bnByby5jb20vcnNz&episode=MmIyNWE1NTJjODEwNGYzNmFjMGNmNzY3M2ZkZjExNjc
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-22, 10:34

Nordic wrote:This a good one from Rogan. He has on Renée DiResta who did a study on social media trolls, how Russian bots operate, how they influence us, impact on the last election, how they can incite shit, etc. Fitting given the later Izzo outrage. I highly recommend it.

https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cDovL2pvZXJvZ2FuZXhwLmpvZXJvZ2FuLmxpYnN5bnByby5jb20vcnNz&episode=MmIyNWE1NTJjODEwNGYzNmFjMGNmNzY3M2ZkZjExNjc

The bots who follow on Instagram are very easy to spot, but the Russian trolls are very successful when it comes to starting shit in the comment section. Like you said, people fall for it constantly.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-22, 11:44

Take listen tGreenway, very informative
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-03-22, 20:10

Anybody here listen to these? I haven't but looks interesting.

Already Gone Podcast – True Crime
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-03-22, 20:13

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/the-ron-burgundy-podcast-30270227/
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-22, 20:15

Nordic wrote:This a good one from Rogan. He has on Renée DiResta who did a study on social media trolls, how Russian bots operate, how they influence us, impact on the last election, how they can incite shit, etc. Fitting given the later Izzo outrage. I highly recommend it.

You mean the same joe Rogan who did his part to spread wild social media conspiracy theory bullshit two weeks ago by interviewing Alex Jones? Yeah he can go fuck himself. No thanks.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-03-22, 20:18

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

You mean the same joe Rogan who did his part to spread wild social media conspiracy theory bullshit two weeks ago by interviewing Alex Jones? Yeah he can go fuck himself. No thanks.
boom!!!
Fuck Rogan scrwy brain dead fuck.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-07-17, 10:02

The national media can’t figure out Mel Tucker.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/spartans-on-the-bank/id1633924765?i=1000569899759
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down