Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ESPN college football expert Ivan Maisel: 'I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State

+14
RBW Spartan
StylesGShmooth
Hut1hut2
Jake from State Farm
ROtown Sparty
MasonGuy
Robert J Sakimano
SpartanMikey
TruSpartan24
InTenSity
Larry Kazamias
Giant Moose
SawGreen
SpartyHard
18 posters

Go down

ESPN college football expert Ivan Maisel: 'I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State Empty ESPN college football expert Ivan Maisel: 'I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-22, 13:16

EAST LANSING — There's a difference between a great college football team and a great college football program.

Michigan State, it seems, has made that jump.

ESPN college football analyst Ivan Maisel, considered elite in his own right among his peers in the profession, indicated he became convinced Coach Mark Dantonio had built an elite program watching the Spartans' 24-20 Rose Bowl victory over Stanford on Jan. 1.

"I was really impressed with their ability to beat Stanford at Stanford's game, at the physical point of attack, a game that Stanford does so well,'' Maisel told Mlive.com on Wednesday. "And the fact that Michigan State could spot them a lead and then slowly grind their way into control of the game, that said to me this is not a good year, this is a program.''

Maisel took part in ESPN's internal poll of college football experts to determine that the Spartans are among the top contenders in the upcoming season's race for the national championship, which will be determined by the four-team College Football Playoff.

"I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State,'' said Maisel, a former Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) President. "You have to assume at this point that the defense will be world class. It has been such for a while between Dantonio and (Pat) Narduzzi. I think the quarterback really came of age over the course of last season.''

Maisel applauded Michigan State's aggressive scheduling, pointing out that the College Football Playoff selection committee has said it will reward strength of schedule.

In fact, Maisel said he believes the Spartans could sustain a loss in the Sept. 6 game at Oregon — provided they win out — and still make the College Football Playoff.

"I think it's a benefit that it's early, I think it's a benefit that it's on the road, in the sense that I'm not sure a loss would hurt as much as a win would help,'' Maisel said. "I would think that a 12-1 record with a loss on the road at one of the tougher stadiums to play in the country would look pretty good.

"If we take the selection committee at its word that they will reward strength of schedule, then only good things can come from playing that game,'' he said. "I hope only good things come from playing that game because we want to to see — as consumers, media and fans — good against good.''

The top eight contenders for the College Football Playoff, as determined by ESPN are (in alphabetical order):

Alabama

Auburn

Florida State

Michigan State

Oklahoma

Oregon

Stanford

UCLA

ESPN writer Chris Low, another esteemed college football journalist, provided analysis specific to Michigan State, latching on to the defense's "Spartan Dawgs" nickname while pointing out the Spartans have had the Big Ten's No. 1 defense the past three seasons.

"We lost some good players,'' Narduzzi told ESPN. "But the system is there, and we need to make sure we fit kids into the system and get them playing like we need to."

Narduzzi has made it clear that the Spartans have work to do before their Aug. 29 home opener against Jacksonville State, telling MLive on numerous occasions that his defense is "average" by State's high standards.

Michigan State defensive end Shilique Calhoun, last season's Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year, told ESPN Narduzzi's demanding nature is part of the system and a reason why it works.

"[Narduzzi] is as hard on us as he ever was," Calhoun told ESPN. "He's always going to be that same guy, yelling and screaming, telling you what you're not doing right. The biggest thing is that we take the coaching. You could progressively see the guys understanding what he wanted done. We matured.

"With us staying on each other as hard and as tough as he has, we've just continued clicking. This year isn't going to be any different."

Courtesy of MLive
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

ESPN college football expert Ivan Maisel: 'I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State Empty Re: ESPN college football expert Ivan Maisel: 'I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State

Post by SawGreen 2014-05-22, 13:38

Nice to see the program getting respect.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

ESPN college football expert Ivan Maisel: 'I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State Empty Re: ESPN college football expert Ivan Maisel: 'I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State

Post by Giant Moose 2014-05-22, 13:40

I guess he has never worked in the Detroit media.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyHard 2014-05-22, 13:54

It's amazing the respect we are garnering around the country. I think our offense will really surprise some people this year, and we will be in the playoff or one of the last two left out. Either way, MD and company are poised for another run.
SpartyHard
SpartyHard
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias 2014-05-22, 13:57

I'm a full 2.5 inches right now
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-22, 14:05

Once you get away from MI media, MSU is well thought of.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TruSpartan24 2014-05-22, 14:49

Giant Moose wrote:I guess he has never worked in the Detroit media.

Looks like the "bag men" haven't got to him yet.....yet.
TruSpartan24
TruSpartan24
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-05-22, 15:15

Man, when I was a kid (BW/JLS times), I thought I'd never see the day where the media views us as a "great program". What a testament to everyone whose been dedicated to the rebuilding of the program. Seriously, there couldn't be a better time to be a Spartan. \m/
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-22, 15:17

SpartanMikey wrote:Man, when I was a kid (BW/JLS times), I thought I'd never see the day where the media views us as a "great program". What a testament to everyone whose been dedicated to the rebuilding of the program. Seriously, there couldn't be a better time to be a Spartan. \m/
thanks, man.. your words are much appreciated.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-05-22, 15:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
thanks, man.. your words are much appreciated.

Thank you for the appreciation, man. Peace, love and soul.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-22, 15:23

SpartanMikey wrote:

Thank you for the appreciation, man. Peace, love and soul.
 afro 
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-05-22, 15:28

I am the oldest guy in the universe and I can't remember EVER reading words like this in the last 50 years.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ROtown Sparty 2014-05-22, 15:45

"I would think that a 12-1 record with a loss on the road at one of the tougher stadiums to play in the country would look pretty good"

Isn't that kind of what happened last year, and we didn't even get a second look. I guess you could argue Oregon is a bit better than ND but it still seems like $EC teams will always get chosen above us. Hopefully the playoff system helps a little.
ROtown Sparty
ROtown Sparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2014-05-22, 16:11

Not that it should be this way, but if markets play into selling the play-off system, I would have to imagine that having a B1G team would translate into $$.  If the B1G teams don't beat each other up too badly, I could see a 2 loss team possibly making the final 4.

I don't see MSU sliding much this year.  The offensive improvements might offset any defensive drop (which I don't personally see happening).  Talent and coaching wise, MSU is solid.  It's the 4th quarter defensive leadership that needs to develop with guys like Max, Denicos, Hoover and Reynolds gone.  I like our chances.

If MSU was within a touchdown in the 4th quarter last year, I was pretty comfortable with what team would have gas in the tank.  I wonder what MSU's 4th quarter stats were??
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-05-22, 17:30

Larry Kazamias wrote:I'm a full 2.5 inches right now

I've got you beat by a 1/4 of an inch. 14-1 or 15-0 sounds really good to me.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 2014-05-22, 18:13

Clearly JLW put the building blocks in place.

Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2014-05-22, 21:21

ROtown Sparty wrote:"I would think that a 12-1 record with a loss on the road at one of the tougher stadiums to play in the country would look pretty good"

Isn't that kind of what happened last year, and we didn't even get a second look.  I guess you could argue Oregon is a bit better than ND but it still seems like $EC teams will always get chosen above us.  Hopefully the playoff system helps a little.  

Most of the experts had us in the playoffs if there were one last year ESPN college football expert Ivan Maisel: 'I don't know how you couldn't like Michigan State 2599972566 
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-05-22, 21:56

ROtown Sparty wrote:"I would think that a 12-1 record with a loss on the road at one of the tougher stadiums to play in the country would look pretty good"

Isn't that kind of what happened last year, and we didn't even get a second look.  I guess you could argue Oregon is a bit better than ND but it still seems like $EC teams will always get chosen above us.  Hopefully the playoff system helps a little.  

We were #3 or 4 in every poll. There is ZERO doubt we make the playoffs last year. The debate is between Bama, Stan, and Baylor.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-05-22, 22:19

1) Not sure what you're talking about, as a lot of analysts said we'd be a 4-seed had there been a playoff that season.

2) If you're asking why we didn't get a second look for the BCS Title Game, for as well as last season went, we still had garbage games in the first half of the season against WMU, USF, ND, and Purdue. Hard to overcome that, especially when teams like UM, Nebraska and NW all underachieved.

3) We'll also be starting off as a Top 10 team this season. While I realize polls don't officially play any role in the playoff committee's selection process, I have to imagine the 4 Playoff teams will all at least be close to the Associated Press Top 4. As a result of that ranking, in addition to a tough schedule, we have a little more margin for error.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2014-05-22, 22:48

gHost Spartan wrote:I think this is the season that can catapult the program into the national discussion. Sure, last year was great (better than great), but we have to show some consistency. Our schedule is very difficult this season. Very difficult. We snuck up on a lot of teams last year - that's not going to happen this season. It'll be interesting to see how the team responds to the hype and the schedule. This year is set up to be epic.

It is.  Good strength of schedule, and very favorable home games.  I'm unfortunately prepared to accept a loss of "inches" along the way.  This team won't lose 5 games by 15 points ala 2 seasons ago.  That miraculous feat won't ever happen again.  It could be better, it could be worse.   

No matter what happens, the wheels have not come off.  SOS will never happen while this staff is intact.  MD has built a program that is respectable, and is producing great Spartans.  I would love a championship, but I'm on board regardless of outcome.  

Yep, for the first time in my life, I'm a blower.  I'm rooting for the kids.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-05-23, 04:48

The Ohio State and Michigan games are what will determine the season. Both are at home. Go 2-0 and its tough seeing MSU lose 2 other B1G games although it could happen.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-05-23, 10:11

ND sucked though...
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2014-05-23, 12:21

Giant Moose wrote:I guess he has never worked in the Detroit media.

The chances of this ever being printed in the Freep are 0 to 1.

I'm still waiting for Mitch Albom's article on MSU's first Rose Bowl in 25 years.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down