Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts

+5
tanfan!
The Pantry
tGreenWay
Death Roe
Turtleneck
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts Empty Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-02, 12:02

Actually I'm not sorry. Like a good QB, I am taking the short memory approach to last night.

What is your favorite cider mill?

The farms and mills sprinkled to the north and west of the city are a reminder of the agriculture industry that predated and outlasted Detroit’s auto boom and bust. Sprawling orchards had been grafted in the region by the 1700s; saplings even made their way to Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello estate, writes Sharon Kegerreis in the book, Michigan Apples: History & Tradition. The industry still has local roots. More than 1.26 billion pounds of apples were harvested across the state in 2013; Michigan farmers average a haul of up to 23 million bushels a year, Metro Times reported.

http://www.citylab.com/navigator/2016/09/apple-cider-donuts-detroit-fall-snack/500288/?utm_source=feed

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts Empty Re: Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts

Post by Guest 2016-10-02, 13:10

When I lived in the metro Detroit area Yates in Rochester was my #1, the other 2 out there were ok too. Paint Creek & Rochester Cider.

When I lived in Lansng it was Uncle John's up north of St John's.

I'm not aware of any close to me now so just buy my cider from Spartan.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts Empty Re: Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-02, 13:19

LooseGoose wrote:When I lived in the metro Detroit area Yates in Rochester was my #1, the other 2 out there were ok too. Paint Creek & Rochester Cider.

I think the best ones in the northern lower are in the broader TC area and north to Petoskey.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-10-02, 13:25

Apology accepted.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-02, 13:45

Death Roe wrote:Apology accepted.

I'm not sorry.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-10-02, 14:04

The thread title referred to cider doughnuts but the discussion centers on cider mills, with nary a doughnut mentioned. What. The. Fuck?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-10-02, 14:07

Turtleneck wrote:
Death Roe wrote:Apology accepted.

I'm not sorry.

Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-10-02, 14:13

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-10-02, 14:18

LooseGoose wrote:When I lived in the metro Detroit area Yates in Rochester was my #1, the other 2 out there were ok too.   Paint Creek & Rochester Cider.

Have gone to Yates since I was a kid but have not been there in probably 8 years.  Place is a zoo on fall weekends and they no longer sell unpasteurized cider.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-02, 14:19

tGreenWay wrote:The thread title referred to cider doughnuts but the discussion centers on cider mills, with nary a doughnut mentioned. What. The. Fuck?

GW? To get an authentic "cider doughnut" you need to go to a cider mill.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-02, 14:20

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:When I lived in the metro Detroit area Yates in Rochester was my #1, the other 2 out there were ok too.   Paint Creek & Rochester Cider.

Have gone to Yates since I was a kid but have not been there in probably 8 years.  Place is a zoo on fall weekends and they no longer sell unpasteurized cider.

So they caved to the weakling crowd? Fuck them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-10-02, 14:27

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

So they caved to the weakling crowd? Fuck them.
Not sure they caved. More likely pressured by their insurance company like many small dairy farms.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-10-02, 14:29

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:The thread title referred to cider doughnuts but the discussion centers on cider mills, with nary a doughnut mentioned. What. The. Fuck?

Don't get pissy with me, old man, and don't try to split hairs, or words, or whatever. The title said cider doughnuts but the discussion is on cider mills.

I'm not crazy. I know what I read.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-02, 15:01

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Don't get pissy with me, old man, and don't try to split hairs, or words, or whatever. The title said cider doughnuts but the discussion is on cider mills.

You are obsessed with donuts.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-10-03, 07:29

Man, do I miss this fall weather event. I miss the days of going to a cider mill. Damn
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-03, 08:41

Picked up some Honeycrisps, some cider, and some apple bread from Uncle John's yesterday. They were busy as fuck. They had a live band and a Civil War reenactment going on while tWife and I were there.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-03, 08:52

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Picked up some Honeycrisps, some cider, and some apple bread from Uncle John's yesterday. They were busy as fuck. They had a live band and a Civil War reenactment going on while tWife and I were there.

I didn't realize that area had any Civil War battles.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-03, 10:10

NigelUno wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Picked up some Honeycrisps, some cider, and some apple bread from Uncle John's yesterday. They were busy as fuck. They had a live band and a Civil War reenactment going on while tWife and I were there.

Is there a law that says you can only reenact Civil War battles where they occurred?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-03, 10:25

Turtleneck wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Is there a law that says you can only reenact Civil War battles where they occurred?

What's next weekend? Invasion of Normandy reenactment?

With or without the live band?

Get your doughnuts and cider at intermission...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-03, 10:53

The guy from Atlanta is riled about the civil war.  Go figure.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-10-03, 10:58

Was it Trevor that was into the civil war reenactment stuff or am I thinking of someone else?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-03, 11:09

The Pantry wrote:Was it Trevor that was into the civil war reenactment stuff or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah, he did that in between being broke and needing donations.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-03, 11:09

Turtleneck wrote:The guy from Atlanta is riled about the civil war.  Go figure.

I'm not really "from" Atlanta.

So...Normandy invasion next weekend?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-03, 11:10

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

What's next weekend?  Invasion of Normandy reenactment?  

Why does any state outside of the original 13 celebrate the 4th of July? They didn't have anything to do with the revolution. Why do we celebrate Christmas? Jesus wasn't born in America. What do rabbits have to do with Easter? None of this makes sense.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-03, 11:12

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Why does any state outside of the original 13 celebrate the 4th of July? They didn't have anything to do with the revolution. Why do we celebrate Christmas? Jesus wasn't born in America. What do rabbits have to do with Easter? None of this makes sense.

Christ - now you've twisted Nigie's brain for a month.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-03, 11:16

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1f34e Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1f34e    Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1f34a Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1f34a
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-03, 11:17

P.S. Don't buy the beer there. It is awful.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-03, 11:21

NigelUno wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1f34e Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1f34e    Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1f34a Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1f34a

Can you point me to the rule book on what should and should not be recognized historically, and where it is acceptable to recognize these events? You seem very upset and the rules seem very stringent. I'm assuming you can help me out here.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-03, 11:27

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Can you point me to the rule book on what should and should not be recognized historically, and where it is acceptable to recognize these events? You seem very upset and the rules seem very stringent. I'm assuming you can help me out here.

I can, but first...what event were they recognizing? The great Apple Orchard Battle?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2016-10-03, 11:29

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

What's next weekend? Invasion of Normandy reenactment?

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 1494614055
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-10-03, 11:40

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

No, I'm interested in cider donuts. I'd like to know more about cider donuts. The thread title indicates this was to be a discussion about cider donuts, but the talk is all about cider mills. Twat.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-03, 11:46

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

No, I'm interested in cider donuts. I'd like to know more about cider donuts. The thread title indicates this was to be a discussion about cider donuts, but the talk is all about cider mills. Twat.

Cider Donuts? I thought this thread was about the Civil War.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-03, 11:51

If you want to discuss donuts go start a tread on Civil War reenactments.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-10-03, 11:52

My favorite is Aldi Supermarket. Publix, Winn Dixie, Target, and Walmart, all seem to usually have the same brand (Ziegler's, I think it is). That's ok in a pinch, but for whatever reason, the one Aldi carries is the closest one with preservatives that I've ever had to fresh cider.

Damn, do I miss fresh cider, though. So you folks in Michigan, enjoy what you can get, because some of us have to deal with the preservative-laden cider.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-03, 12:14

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:The guy from Atlanta is riled about the civil war.  Go figure.

Any reenactments of Sherman's March to the Sea scheduled for your area?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-10-03, 12:16

NigelUno wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Cider Donuts? I thought this thread was about the Civil War.

How can you sleep at night knowing your city pussied out against Sherman?
Fuck. Now you buttheads have got me off point.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-10-03, 12:17

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:If you want to discuss donuts go start a tread on Civil War reenactments.

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts 502811600

No.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-10-03, 12:19

MiamiSpartan wrote:My favorite is Aldi Supermarket. Publix, Winn Dixie, Target, and Walmart, all seem to usually have the same brand (Ziegler's, I think it is). That's ok in a pinch, but for whatever reason, the one Aldi carries is the closest one with preservatives that I've ever had to fresh cider.

Damn, do I miss fresh cider, though. So you folks in Michigan, enjoy what you can get, because some of us have to deal with the preservative-laden cider.

It's not that easy to find, although I admit I haven't gone looking in a few years. It was easy to go to the QD on Saginaw when they had their press to get poop-free unpasteurized cider and some fresh CIDER DONUTS.
Edit: But they discontinued the practice for the same reasons mentioned above. But at least I can still get CIDER DONUTS!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-10-03, 12:23

Turtleneck wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I'll check with some of the apple orchards in the area.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-03, 12:25

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I'll check with some of the apple orchards in the area.

Sorry to interrupt: A little recognition for Michigan's cider donuts Tilt
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next