Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment

+11
Tim Wakefield
AnomanderRake
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
Cameron
DWags
Death Roe
aualum06
Snake Plissken
Turtleneck
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment Empty Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment

Post by Turtleneck Sun 2 Oct 2016 - 20:59

Why more young men are choosing video games over a job

A recent unpublished study from researchers at Princeton University, the University of Rochester, and the University of Chicago found that more young men, particularly those who don't have college degrees, are living at home, working part-time or not at all, and regularly playing video games. But the prevalence of this lifestyle isn't due to a lack of jobs or difficult economy – rather, many young men are consciously choosing video games over work.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2016/0925/Why-more-young-men-are-choosing-video-games-over-a-job?cmpid=FB
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment Empty Re: Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment

Post by Snake Plissken Sun 2 Oct 2016 - 21:15

28YO living in their parents basement. Sad.
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment Empty Re: Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment

Post by aualum06 Sun 2 Oct 2016 - 21:15

I knew I was doing something wrong
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Sun 2 Oct 2016 - 21:34

I'm still trying to beat Bioshock Infinite.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 2 Oct 2016 - 21:38

Death Roe wrote:I'm still trying to beat Bioshock Infinite.

Have you also thought about employment?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 2 Oct 2016 - 21:56

Are these the Bernie supporters who Hilliary says live in the basement?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 2 Oct 2016 - 22:02

I am all for people pursuing what makes them happy. Do whatever. Buck the system and do it different.

At the same time, there seems to be a sense of entitlement with the subjects of the article. It is not so much that they want to do things different as much as they expect something to be handed to them, and in the meantime will just play video games.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 0:17

I'm not going to read that article. I will say that I feel more "guilt" (if that's what you'd call it) for watching hours upon hours of netflix than I do for popping in a game every now and then. If I played WoW or some other time suck MMO or whatever, I might have a different opinion.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 1:16

I play a lot of video games, hold down a job, maintain a relationship, volunteer a shit ton of time, and am a premium poster. . You can do it all.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 11:53

I do not play video games.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 11:58

When the fuck are they going to make another college football game?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 12:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I do not play video games.

And that is why I am proud of you.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 13:47

I play for an hour or two per night after working for 9 hours, going to the gym for 90 minutes, making dinner etc. I would guess about 8-12 hours per week. I'm not sure what the point of this article or their study was.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 14:10

Good for you, as long as you don't judge those that do. If you really want to start measuring dicks we can, turtleneck.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 14:16

I think it goes without saying, even though we joke around on this board, there is a lot of academic talent on this message board, so, what I'm about to say has little to do with any of you. However, the trend in America is that more and more women are going to college, and the percentage of men going to college has plateaued for about two decades. More women are now in college than ever before.

I have no connection with why or how that stat is rising, but it's always been my theory, men become more addicted to video games than women as teenagers, and while many men can certainly manage to be both a video game guy and student, many can't. Just my theory.

Something is making this happen. Video games or good weed, who knows.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 14:40

DWags wrote:I think it goes without saying, even though we joke around on this board, there is a lot of academic talent on this message board, so, what I'm about to say has little to do with any of you. However, the trend in America is that more and more women are going to college, and the percentage of men going to college has plateaued for about two decades. More women are now in college than ever before.

I have no connection with why or how that stat is rising, but it's always been my theory, men become more addicted to video games than women as teenagers, and while many men can certainly manage to be both a video game guy and student, many can't. Just my theory.

Something is making this happen. Video games or good weed, who knows.

Can it just be that women now recognize that they have the same rights as men and are taking advantage of college opportunities? And men would have plateaued anyway at some predetermined percentage? Not all people want to go to college.

I mean, maybe there is a connection. But I'd call it weak at best.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 15:45

DWags wrote:I think it goes without saying, even though we joke around on this board, there is a lot of academic talent on this message board, so, what I'm about to say has little to do with any of you.  However, the trend in America is that more and more women are going to college, and the percentage of men going to college has plateaued for about two decades.  More women are now in college than ever before.

I have no connection with why or how that stat is rising, but it's always been my theory, men become more addicted to video games than women as teenagers, and while many men can certainly manage to be both a video game guy and student, many can't.  Just my theory.

Something is making this happen.  Video games or good weed, who knows.

The guys from my high school that didn't go to college were less video game types and more workin' on the truck types. So I don't think the two are connected.

Now college drop out rates, those might be influenced by video games.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 15:50

I would say the effect that video games have on male academic achievement is negligible compared to drugs/alcohol abuse.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 16:31

Rocinante wrote:

Good for you, as long as you don't judge those that do. If you really want to start measuring dicks we can, turtleneck.

I am judging you. But it is ok because other aspects of your life offset the game stuff.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 16:53

Turtleneck wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I am judging you. But it is ok because other aspects of your life offset the game stuff.

So can we measure dicks? PM me.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 16:56

I just told you that I approve of you. That is a big deal. Celebrate!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 17:06

Just got FIFA 17 today. Pumped

Overall, I regret getting my Xbox one. It was only $210 but I never play the damn thing
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 18:56

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:I think it goes without saying, even though we joke around on this board, there is a lot of academic talent on this message board, so, what I'm about to say has little to do with any of you.  However, the trend in America is that more and more women are going to college, and the percentage of men going to college has plateaued for about two decades.  More women are now in college than ever before.

I have no connection with why or how that stat is rising, but it's always been my theory, men become more addicted to video games than women as teenagers, and while many men can certainly manage to be both a video game guy and student, many can't.  Just my theory.

Something is making this happen.  Video games or good weed, who knows.

The guys from my high school that didn't go to college were less video game types and more workin' on the truck types. So I don't think the two are connected.

Yeah, I'm just wondering out loud. No idea what's causing the shift
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 19:05

Parents and society went soft with discipline. Tough love is needed for everyone at some point. If I had a 28 year old son living at home I'd say you have a couple months to find a job and move out. After 60 days your stuff is in a box on the front lawn if you don't. Coddling kids doesn't do them any favors. Kids need to understand when they grow up they will have bills and be expected to provide for themselves.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 19:07

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Well I just think more women want freedom and money/career does that. Gone are the days of women needing to shack up at younger ages to be provided for.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 19:26

Tim Wakefield wrote:Just got FIFA 17 today. Pumped

Overall, I regret getting my Xbox one. It was only $210 but I never play the damn thing

What's your GamerTag?
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 19:55

Death Roe wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:Just got FIFA 17 today. Pumped

What's your GamerTag?

DeezNutsz
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 20:57

Don't joke around, PS4 fuckboi

Wink
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 20:59

The_Dude wrote:
DWags wrote:

Well I just think more women want freedom and money/career does that. Gone are the days of women needing to shack up at younger ages to be provided for.

Jesus.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 21:33

DWags wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Jesus.

He is so scared of the world we live in. He is desperate for the 50s.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 21:48

Rocinante wrote:I play a lot of video games, hold down a job, maintain a relationship, volunteer a shit ton of time, and  am a premium poster. . You can do it all.

A reminder that the last person to claim "premium poster" status on here ended up with this for a girlfriend:

Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment Dirty-Pics-07
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 21:59

II WAKEFIELD II
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 8:09

DWags wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Jesus.

Of all thelse things the dude posts, this shocks you???
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 9:08

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Jesus.

How so?

Just answering Wags open question on why more women are going to college. Its because historically they have been housekeepers and now they are more empowered than they have ever been and want more out of life than being a stay at home mother.

If you live in any big city in the USA you'll see it. And its great dating or being with a woman who have their own money and careers.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 17:14

Rocinante wrote:

I don't judge anybody really - we all have our vices and things to relax, enjoy, whatever. Who am I to tell someone how to live? I wish my friends back home would step out of their comfort zone more but they are going to do them and that's fine.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 18:51

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I don't judge anybody really - we all have our vices and things to relax, enjoy, whatever. Who am I to tell someone how to live? I wish my friends back home would step out of their comfort zone more but they are going to do them and that's fine.

Like rage and stuff?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 19:11

Rocinante wrote:

Like rage and stuff?

Kinda. Travel. Meet new people. Take some fucking chances. Idk.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 19:18

Rocinante wrote:

Like rage and stuff?

Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment 55953254
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 19:19

Tim Wakefield wrote:

Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment 55953254

Like that baseball trip you did. Bad fucking ass. Ecuador!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 4 Oct 2016 - 19:30

The_Dude wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

How so?

Just answering Wags open question on why more women are going to college. Its because historically they have been housekeepers and now they are more empowered than they have ever been and want more out of life than being a stay at home mother.

If you live in any big city in the USA you'll see it. And its great dating or being with a woman who have their own money and careers.

Jesus, this can't be a real person. It's such a walking fucking cliche. " need to Shack up" "great that women have their own money". Holy hell, can you imagine him at a dinner table? Video Games and work: Young men choosing video games over employment 502811600

Everybody would be cringing. What's that movie where they had to take an idiot to dinner?

It's like this guy didn't know the 60's happen over a half century ago. How can you go through life so fucking blind?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next