Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About the crazy stats in the NBA this year

+4
Other Teams Pursuing That
P Rob
Herbie Green
Turtleneck
8 posters

Go down

About the crazy stats in the NBA this year Empty About the crazy stats in the NBA this year

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-06, 23:43

About the crazy stats in the NBA this year Paine-nba-stat-games-1

It probably isn’t too shocking that the number of big Game Score outings in a given season is reasonably correlated with the league’s pace factor. The more possessions per game, the easier it is to produce eye-popping stat lines — and this season has featured the NBA’s fastest pace since the early 1990s. So, given the game’s more up-tempo state, perhaps we shouldn’t be too surprised by this year’s explosion of big statistical games.

But there’s also evidence that we’re in an age of better NBA talent than we’ve seen since the days of MJ and Sir Charles. When I borrowed FiveThirtyEight editor-in-chief Nate Silver’s “baseball time machine” technique — which infers the amount of talent present in a given season by comparing the performances of the same players in adjacent seasons — and applied it to basketball to prove millennials weren’t ruining the NBA, I found that the past few seasons contained the NBA’s strongest talent base since the early to mid-1990s. (As measured by Box Plus/Minus, which is pace-adjusted and accounts for both offense and defense.) It was part of a trend in leaguewide quality that’s been on the upswing since the mid-2000s, as the game finally stabilized after adding seven new teams between 1988 and 2004.

Lending further credence to the theory that there’s simply a wealth of good players in today’s NBA, 2016-17 has also seen its big stat-stuffing games spread across more players than past seasons have. This season, there have been 89 games with a Game Score of 30 or higher, recorded by 38 different players — an average of 2.3 big games per player. By contrast, the 1990-91 season featured an average of 2.8 big games per player, meaning the performances were more concentrated among players; the same was true in all of the big-game-heavy seasons of the late 1980s and early 1990s. This season has featured a lot of great performances, but they’re not being being hogged as much by the same small group of usual suspects.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whats-behind-all-these-crazy-nba-stat-lines/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

About the crazy stats in the NBA this year Empty Re: About the crazy stats in the NBA this year

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-06, 23:55

Those charts are not very convincing.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

About the crazy stats in the NBA this year Empty Re: About the crazy stats in the NBA this year

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-07, 00:13

Herbie Green wrote:Those charts are not very convincing.

You're right, Herbie. Nobody is putting up crazy stats this year.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob 2017-01-07, 00:14

Great thread. I also made a BM today.
P Rob
P Rob
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-07, 00:45

Turtleneck wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Those charts are not very convincing.

You're right, Herbie. Nobody is putting up crazy stats this year.

I didn't read all those words that must be trying to say that so I went to the visual aid. If i put a trendline on those plots it seems it would be flat or even negative sloped.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-07, 01:04

Sometimes it helps to read, Herbie. This is one of those times.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-01-07, 07:26

I think the NBA kinda sucks right now TN.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-07, 07:43

Bucks are gonna win the world championship
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2017-01-07, 09:28

Ratings driven drama.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-07, 10:31

Turtleneck, I want to formally apologize for my outburst last night. I have been going through some things in my life and tend to lash out at others.
I enjoy 538 and the math nerd stuff so the last thing I want to do is discourage posts in that area.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-01-07, 11:27

DWags wrote:Bucks are gonna win the world championship

nice blown 18 point lead, asshole! had the bucks -5.5
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-01-07, 12:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
DWags wrote:Bucks are gonna win the world championship

nice blown 18 point lead, asshole! had the bucks -5.5

Yeah that sucked. It was the exact opposite of the game at MSG on Wednesday. Bucks came back from 14 down in the 4th, Knicks 13 down in the 4th tonight. Bucks are getting good though and very fun to watch. They need Middleton back and a space eating big man to contend for the East IMO
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-01-07, 13:54

Herbie Green wrote:
I didn't read all those words that must be trying to say that

Pretty much summarizes Herbie Green in a few words.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down