Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do people accept CFB stats?

+5
WhiteBoyHatcher
Herbie Green
steveschneider
The_Dude
InTenSity
9 posters

Go down

Why do people accept CFB stats? Empty Why do people accept CFB stats?

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-23, 14:38

I guess I've never understood why people use stats to try to make their points. I don't think stats can be used predict most games. If teams are playing 8 or 9 patsies, isn't that going to make their stats look stellar and they are world beaters, when in reality they are the 12th grade bully beating up on an 8th grader? Is our secondary really as good as everyone thinks it is? How would we do against a team from the B12, which throws a bit more than B1G teams? How can the SEC get away with not really playing anyone non conference, then having some teams that absolutely just suck in the conference and be called the best conference in the nation when they never have to go farther than a couple hundred miles to play in bowl games?

I know I fell off on a tangent, but I just think that college stats are wildly misleading, but fans will cling to them as if they are the be all end all of their football team. 

This thread better be about who has the best pizza by the 15th reply.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why do people accept CFB stats? Empty Re: Why do people accept CFB stats?

Post by The_Dude 2014-07-23, 14:43

"Stats are for losers"

Nardawg
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 15:14

InTenSity wrote:I guess I've never understood why people use stats to try to make their points. I don't think stats can be used predict most games. If teams are playing 8 or 9 patsies, isn't that going to make their stats look stellar and they are world beaters, when in reality they are the 12th grade bully beating up on an 8th grader? Is our secondary really as good as everyone thinks it is? How would we do against a team from the B12, which throws a bit more than B1G teams? How can the SEC get away with not really playing anyone non conference, then having some teams that absolutely just suck in the conference and be called the best conference in the nation when they never have to go farther than a couple hundred miles to play in bowl games?

I know I fell off on a tangent, but I just think that college stats are wildly misleading, but fans will cling to them as if they are the be all end all of their football team. 

This thread better be about who has the best pizza by the 15th reply.

Where's Spartan Rocky for this one? But then again how accurate are his picks? Does he even try to predict the games or isn't his schtick where he writes 12 pages about the game and then picks MSU to win no matter what?

"How can the SEC get away with not really playing anyone non conference, then having some teams that absolutely just suck in the conference and be called the best conference in the nation when they never have to go farther than a couple hundred miles to play in bowl games?"

I don't care what anyone says, the SEC is far and away the best conference and there's so many metrics to prove it. Look at Bowl Records vs. all other conferences, and look at the amount of talent that they put into the NFL. I didn't follow this years draft, but last years they absolutely dominated the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Also, just look at the results the last time Alabama played Notre Dame, Michigan State and Michigan. They absolutely pulverized all three teams.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-23, 15:21

steveschneider wrote:

Where's Spartan Rocky for this one? But then again how accurate are his picks? Does he even try to predict the games or isn't his schtick where he writes 12 pages about the game and then picks MSU to win no matter what?

Also, just look at the results the last time Alabama played Notre Dame, Michigan State and Michigan. They absolutely pulverized all three teams.
Rocky won't come over here, I don't know if they threatened his side job or what, which seems to be the tact that 247 is taking towards this place. If anything, he is way too accommodating towards other teams, at times. 

I'll give you Bama, although, again, they don't have to travel far and they never play north of the Mason-Dixie line after September. There is zero context in forcing teams to go play an exhibition game far away from their fanbase. The Outback Bowl a couple years ago when we won against UGA, it had to be about 70% Georgia fans. Bama lost last year to OsU or OU, one of the OK teams. Now they all want to play in Dallas.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 16:04

InTenSity wrote:
Rocky won't come over here, I don't know if they threatened his side job or what, which seems to be the tact that 247 is taking towards this place. If anything, he is way too accommodating towards other teams, at times. 

I'll give you Bama, although, again, they don't have to travel far and they never play north of the Mason-Dixie line after September. There is zero context in forcing teams to go play an exhibition game far away from their fanbase. The Outback Bowl a couple years ago when we won against UGA, it had to be about 70% Georgia fans. Bama lost last year to OsU or OU, one of the OK teams. Now they all want to play in Dallas.

That's lame, Trevor said he thought there should be more MSU boards but it sounds like they feel more threatened than they initially let on.

I wonder how Spartan Rocky would fair if he had to predict the games? also, you have a point about the travel. There's a ton of BS in CFB, too much of it imo. All I know is bowl games have always been played in warm weather states, which has give USC for the Rose Bowl and a lot of the SEC/b12/ACC teams an advantage. Regardless of that, in the bowls the SEC has dominated against other top teams, and the amount of talent they put in the first two rounds of the drafts has also dominated. It's the premier league until another conference can step up and demonstrate otherwise on a consistent basis.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-23, 16:18

steveschneider wrote:

That's lame, Trevor said he thought there should be more MSU boards but it sounds like they feel more threatened than they initially let on.

I wonder how Spartan Rocky would fair if he had to predict the games? also, you have a point about the travel. There's a ton of BS in CFB, too much of it imo. All I know is bowl games have always been played in warm weather states, which has give USC for the Rose Bowl and a lot of the SEC/b12/ACC teams an advantage. Regardless of that, in the bowls the SEC has dominated against other top teams, and the amount of talent they put in the first two rounds of the drafts has also dominated. It's the premier league until another conference can step up and demonstrate otherwise on a consistent basis.
Is getting drafted an indication of how good a league is, or checking in a few years to see if the players are still in the NFL. It would take too much time for me to check. Lets say for arguments sake that the SEC gets 20 players in the NFL in the first 2 rounds, and the B1G gets 12 players drafted. Looking back 4 or 5 years, what if the SEC players only had 7 players still in the NFL, because 8 of them were busts and 5 others were injured. Now lets say of the 12 B1G players, 7 of them were still in the NFL, with 3 that were busts and 2 that were injured. Which has the better conference? As a HS kid, I'd probably look at the SEC, they can get me into the NFL, but the reality of the situation would be that playing in the B1G, your chances may not be as good to be picked in the early rounds, but the percentage is better of having a lengthy career. 

Playing against shitty teams, and inflating your stats doesn't make you a better player. I guess that is why they have the combine, but I think it could be argued, under the right circumstances, that the SEC is over rated. I live in SEC country, they are crazy about their football, but only for the big games, just like in the B1G.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-23, 17:06

I wont argue that the SEC isnt the best but I think the stats are not near as one sided as people are led to believe.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 17:55

Herbie Green wrote:I wont argue that the SEC isnt the best but I think the stats are not near as one sided as people are led to believe.

Well it's a new year, time for the B10 to step up and win some of the bigger non conference games and to represent well in the bowl games.  

Question though, do you think we've taken a step back adding Rutgers and Maryland?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-23, 18:27

steveschneider wrote:

Well it's a new year, time for the B10 to step up and win some of the bigger non conference games and to represent well in the bowl games.  

Question though, do you think we've taken a step back adding Rutgers and Maryland?

Uggh. Yes. I think I always try to forget that.

On the bright side there might be five teams with 10+ wins. But that might make matters wworse because most of them will be frauds that get smoked once they play treal competition.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 19:38

Herbie Green wrote:

Uggh.  Yes.  I think I always try to forget that.  

On the bright side there might be five teams with 10+ wins.  But that might make matters wworse because most of them will be frauds that get smoked once they play treal competition.

. I won't count the win over Arkansas because OSU cheated, but I will point out that Ohio State is 0-9 vs SEC teams in bowl games since 1978:

1978 Sugar Bowl: Alabama 35, Ohio State 6 - Woody Hayes

1990 Hall Of Fame Bowl: Auburn 31, Ohio State 14 - John Cooper

1993 Citrus Bowl: Georgia 21, Ohio State 14 - John Cooper

1995 Citrus Bowl: Alabama 24, Ohio State 14 - John Cooper

1996 Citrus Bowl: Tennessee 20, Ohio State 14 - John Cooper

2001 Outback Bowl: South Carolina 24, Ohio State 7 - John Cooper

2002 Outback Bowl: South Carolina 31, Ohio State 28 - Jim Tressel

2007 BCS Championship: Florida 41, Ohio State 14 - Jim Tressel

2008 BCS Championship: LSU 38, Ohio State 24 - Jim Tressel

Since 2011 this is how the B10 has done January 1st.

Jan. 1, 2011

Alabama 49, Michigan State 7
Florida 37, Penn State 24
Mississippi State 52, Michigan 14

Jan. 1, 2012

Michigan State 33, Georgia 30
South Carolina 30, Nebraska 13
Florida 24, Ohio State 17

Jan. 1, 2013

Northwestern 34, Mississippi State 20
Georgia 45, Nebraska 31
South Carolina 33, Michigan 28

Jan 1, 2014
S. Car 34, Wisconsin 24
LSU 21, Iowa 14
Neb 24, Georgia 19

B10 has gone 3 for 12 in last 4 years on Jan 1st.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-23, 19:51

Where did each team stand in their conference. A lot of times the #3 sec might play b1g #5. There isn't any context on what was posted, and osu is absolutely horrible against the sec.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-23, 20:52

InTenSity wrote:
Is getting drafted an indication of how good a league is, or checking in a few years to see if the players are still in the NFL. It would take too much time for me to check. Lets say for arguments sake that the SEC gets 20 players in the NFL in the first 2 rounds, and the B1G gets 12 players drafted. Looking back 4 or 5 years, what if the SEC players only had 7 players still in the NFL, because 8 of them were busts and 5 others were injured. Now lets say of the 12 B1G players, 7 of them were still in the NFL, with 3 that were busts and 2 that were injured. Which has the better conference? As a HS kid, I'd probably look at the SEC, they can get me into the NFL, but the reality of the situation would be that playing in the B1G, your chances may not be as good to be picked in the early rounds, but the percentage is better of having a lengthy career. 

Playing against shitty teams, and inflating your stats doesn't make you a better player. I guess that is why they have the combine, but I think it could be argued, under the right circumstances, that the SEC is over rated. I live in SEC country, they are crazy about their football, but only for the big games, just like in the B1G.

Here's a gauge for you. And I'll do the work because bored.

NFL Pro Bowl rosters from this year. Here is the school breakdown. This should give a decent indicator of league dominance because it's a mix of veterans and young guys.

Newton - Auburn
Foles - Arizona
Luck - Stanford

RB
Charles - Texas
Lacy - Bama
Reece - Washington
Alfred Morris - FAU

WR
DeSean Jackson - Cal
AJ Green - Georgia
Antonio Brown - CMU
Dez Bryant - Okie Lite

TE
Jordan Cameron - USC
Witten - Tennessee

OT
Trent Williams - Oklahoma
Duane Brown - Va Tech
Branden Albert - Virginia

OG
Logan Mankins - Fresno St
Marshal Yanda - Iowa
Kyle Long - Oregon

C
Mike Pouncey - Florida
Alex Mack - Cal

DE
Greg Hardy - Miss
Mario Williams - NC St
JJ Watt - Wiscy

DT
Suh - Nebraska
Dontari Poe - Memphis
Gerald McCoy - Oklahoma

LB
Suggs - ASU
Hali - PSU
Orakpo - Texas
Posluszny - PSU
Kuechly - BC

DB
Patrick Peterson - LSU
Brent Grimes (aka Grimey) - Shippensburg ??
Revis Island - Pitt
Tim Jennings - Georgia

S
Eric Berry - Tennessee
Weddle - Utah
TJ Ward - Oregon

ST
Fields - MSU
Tucker - Texas
Cordarelle Pattersson - Tennessee
JJ Jansen - ND
Matthew Slater - UCLA

QB
Brees - Purdue
Alex Smith - Utah
Rivers - NC St

RB
Forte - Tulane
McCoy - Pitt
Murray - Oklahoma
Tolbert - Coastal Carolina

WR
Fitz - Pitt
Gordon - Baylor
Marshall - UCF
Jeffrey - South Carolina

TE
Jimmy Graham - Miami
Gonzalez - Cal

OT
Gross - Utah
Joe Thomas - Wiscy
Tyron Smith - USC

OG
Ben Grubbs - Auburn
Evan Mathis - Bama
Jahri Evans - Bloomsburg ??

C
Kalil - USC
Mangold - OSU

DE
Cameron Wake - PSU
Quinn - UNC
Cameron Jordan - Cal

DT
Kyle Williams - LSU
Jason Hatcher - Grambling
Dareus - Bama

LB
Justin Houston - Georgia
John Abraham - South Carolina
Mathis - Alabama A&M
Burfict - ASU
Derrick Johnson - Texas

CB
Verner - UCLA
Joe Haden - Florida
Flowers - Va Tech
Cro - FSU

S
Rolle - Miami
Byrd - Oregon
Eric Reid - LSU

ST
Hekker - Oregon St
Gostkowski - Memphis
McCluster - Ole Miss
Matt Overton - Western Washington
Justin Bethel - Presbytyrian

This does not count the guys who sat out.

So let's tally:

SEC - 20
PAC - 20
Big 12 - 8
Other - 15
B1G - 9
ACC - 12

So yeah, there you go. I guess.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 21:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

NFL Pro Bowl rosters from this year. Here is the school breakdown. This should give a decent indicator of league dominance because it's a mix of veterans and young guys.

Newton - Auburn
Foles - Arizona
Luck - Stanford

RB
Charles - Texas
Lacy - Bama
Reece - Washington
Alfred Morris - FAU

WR
DeSean Jackson - Cal
AJ Green - Georgia
Antonio Brown - CMU
Dez Bryant - Okie Lite

TE
Jordan Cameron - USC
Witten - Tennessee

OT
Duane Brown - Va Tech

OG
Marshal Yanda - Iowa
Kyle Long - Oregon

C
Mike Pouncey - Florida
Alex Mack - Cal

DE
Greg Hardy - Miss
Mario Williams - NC St
JJ Watt - Wiscy

DT
Suh - Nebraska
Dontari Poe - Memphis
Gerald McCoy - Oklahoma

LB
Suggs - ASU
Hali - PSU
Orakpo - Texas
Posluszny - PSU
Kuechly - BC

DB
Patrick Peterson - LSU
Revis Island - Pitt
Tim Jennings - Georgia

S
Eric Berry - Tennessee
Weddle - Utah
TJ Ward - Oregon

ST
Fields - MSU
Tucker - Texas
JJ Jansen - ND
Matthew Slater - UCLA

QB
Brees - Purdue
Alex Smith - Utah
Rivers - NC St

RB
Forte - Tulane
McCoy - Pitt
Murray - Oklahoma

WR
Fitz - Pitt
Gordon - Baylor
Marshall - UCF
Jeffrey - South Carolina

TE
Jimmy Graham - Miami
Gonzalez - Cal

OT
Gross - Utah
Joe Thomas - Wiscy
Tyron Smith - USC

OG
Ben Grubbs - Auburn
Evan Mathis - Bama

C
Kalil - USC
Mangold - OSU

DE
Cameron Wake - PSU
Quinn - UNC
Cameron Jordan - Cal

DT
Kyle Williams - LSU
Dareus - Bama

LB
Justin Houston - Georgia
Mathis - Alabama A&M
Burfict - ASU
Derrick Johnson - Texas

CB
Verner - UCLA
Joe Haden - Florida
Flowers - Va Tech
Cro - FSU

S
Rolle - Miami
Byrd - Oregon
Eric Reid - LSU

ST
Hekker - Oregon St
Gostkowski - Memphis
McCluster - Ole Miss

So let's tally:

SEC - 20
PAC - 20
Big 12 - 8
Other - 15
B1G - 9
ACC - 12

Damn good stuff!

I used to preach this out on the Blue Board until Spartan Rocky told me to shut up, but all data shows that most of the top talent comes from the south and California. Looks pretty consistent with your findings.

I do believe that if someone is going to take down the SEC, or at least compete with the top schools frequently in the championship games/playoffs it will most likely be a school in Cali that can attract the s. cal talent or school in the ACC that can attract top talent from Florida and surrounding states.

I could see a FSU, UofMiami, or if USC or UCLA ever got their shit together I think they could swivel up and compete. Clemson has picked up some great talent recently, can they continue upwards? I don't think USC's recent coaching hire will get them there. What about Texas? Could they get their shit together soon?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-23, 21:59

Absolutely Texas could. I don't know the zact stats but Texas has gotta churn our more D1 prospects than any other State, including Florida.

My guess would be:

1. TX
2. FL
3. CA
4. GA
5. OH
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 22:05

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Absolutely Texas could. I don't know the zact stats but Texas has gotta churn our more D1 prospects than any other State, including Florida.

My guess would be:

1. TX
2. FL
3. CA
4. GA
5. OH
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida

2013 Data, you were pretty much spot on.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 22:07

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1641528-where-does-nfl-talent-come-from

2013 Data for where Pro players come from. Above link was for where college talent comes from.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-23, 22:08

Here are some more stats I found:

2012 NFL players by conference:

367 SEC
273 PAC 12
301 ACC
258 BIG 10
167 BIG 12
154 AMERICAN
108 MOUNTAIN WEST

2013 NFL Players by team top 10:

58 USC
58 LSU
58 Miami (FL)
51 Ohio State
50 Georgia
49 California
47 Florida State
45 Texas
44 Alabama
43 Florida

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/number-of-nfl-players-by-college/2013/

...I am sure these stats have continued to trend heavily towards the SEC.  But it is not like they have a complete monopoly on talent.
It is ironic that OSU seems to get singled out as the case study of how the Big Ten can't hang with the SEC talent and "Southern speed".  But I think most of us in Big Ten country realize they are generally well above any one else in the Big Ten in talent.  It is like if you think they are bad then you should see the rest of the conference because they are dominating.  At least the stats show that they have been cranking out NFL talent as much as about anyone for a long time.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-23, 22:18

steveschneider wrote:
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida

2013 Data, you were pretty much spot on.

Holy shit. Swear I didn't look anything up. Can someone please +1 me? I'm very concerned about my star rating here.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-23, 22:21

Herbie Green wrote:Here are some more stats I found:

367 SEC
273 PAC 12
301 ACC
258 BIG 10
167 BIG 12
154 AMERICAN
108 MOUNTAIN WEST

58 USC
58 LSU
58 Miami (FL)
51 Ohio State
50 Georgia
49 California
47 Florida State
45 Texas
44 Alabama
43 Florida

...I am sure these stats have continued to trend heavily towards the SEC.  But it is not like they have a complete monopoly on talent.
It is ironic that OSU seems to get singled out as the case study of how the Big Ten can't hang with the SEC talent and "Southern speed".  But I think most of us in Big Ten country realize they are generally well above any one else in the Big Ten in talent.  It is like if you think they are bad then you should see the rest of the conference because they are dominating.  At least the stats show that they have been cranking out NFL talent as much as about anyone for a long time.

It certainly has something to do with the population center(s) of the country migrating South and West. But it also has a lot to do with football culture. Obviously the HS football culture is HUGE in places like Ohio and Texas. Michigan is only a couple of spots behind Ohio in State population rankings, but we churn out nowhere near the HS talent. We have no HS football culture here.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 22:27

Herbie Green wrote:Here are some more stats I found:

367 SEC
273 PAC 12
301 ACC
258 BIG 10
167 BIG 12
154 AMERICAN
108 MOUNTAIN WEST

58 USC
58 LSU
58 Miami (FL)
51 Ohio State
50 Georgia
49 California
47 Florida State
45 Texas
44 Alabama
43 Florida

A lot of the links above may be indicators of why Coach D is so successful, which is his ability to recruit Ohio and Pennsylvania. He's a fantastic coach, fantastic motivator, but he's also an incredible recruiter. He's able to go into those states and find the diamonds in the roughs.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-23, 22:36

If you look a little further down that chart you find Rutgers in the top 20. #3 in the Big Ten in NFL players. WTF?! Maybe they are no joke and are going to start dominating.

And what is up with Cal? I don't remember them having very many good teams. Maybe they get a lot of top end talent from CA but have to fill the rest of the roster with scrubs.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-23, 22:39

Herbie Green wrote:If you look a little further down that chart you find Rutgers in the top 20.  #3 in the Big Ten in NFL players.  WTF?!  Maybe they are no joke and are going to start dominating.

And what is up with Cal?  I don't remember them having very many good teams.  Maybe they get a lot of top end talent from CA but have to fill the rest of the roster with scrubs.

That state is loaded with talent. My guess is they promise immediate playing time, it's a great school with great academics, and it's a fun town. Probably able to attract top talent from the Bay and the state with those selling points but not able to attract enough talent to build enough talent to compete at the highest levels in cfb.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-23, 22:42

steveschneider wrote:

A lot of the links above may be indicators of why Coach D is so successful, which is his ability to recruit Ohio and Pennsylvania. He's a fantastic coach, fantastic motivator, but he's also an incredible recruiter. He's able to go into those states and find the diamonds in the roughs.

I heard Comp say today that only 3 of 10 verbal commits are from Michigan. I know we recently got one from Virginia and Texas. So maybe we are getting some national pull.
But on the other hand it seems a lot easier to build it from within your own state (or at least region, fortunately we are good in Ohio)

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-24, 08:13

How is this new law that is going into effect in CA going to affect those players? I believe it limits the amount of practice time they can practice hitting each other among a few other things. One part I did agree with is making players with a concussion sit out for more than 1 day.

Here is a poll about the SEC.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-24, 08:19

InTenSity wrote:How is this new law that is going into effect in CA going to affect those players? I believe it limits the amount of practice time they can practice hitting each other among a few other things. One part I did agree with is making players with a concussion sit out for more than 1 day.

Here is a poll about the SEC.

What is the new law exactly?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-24, 08:42

LA Times
erry Brown on Monday signed into law AB 2127, which prohibits football teams at middle and high schools from holding full-contact practices that exceed 90 minutes a day, limits the number of full-contact practices during the season to two per week and prohibits contact practices during the off-season.

I'm just wondering if this will affect the number of players that CA produces, or if there are still enough that play there, that it isn't going to matter.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-07-24, 08:46

The_Dude wrote:"Stats are for losers"

Nardawg

He really nailed it with this quote. Go out and play the fucking game, don't post numbers.

I remember watching Ohio State play Miami in one of Urbz' first games. They won like 56-10 and Braxton put up nice numbers, but I just wasn't impressed. They ended up going undefeated but that was a team that didn't play quality competition all season long. First top level team that team faced was in the B1GCCG.

Gardner is another player that puts up great numbers pre-season, as all UM qbs seem to, and then shit his pants during the regular season, as all UM qbs seem to.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-24, 08:59

Ass Dan wrote:

He really nailed it with this quote. Go out and play the fucking game, don't post numbers.  

I remember watching Ohio State play Miami in one of Urbz' first games.  They won like 56-10 and Braxton put up nice numbers, but I just wasn't impressed. They ended up going undefeated but that was a team that didn't play quality competition all season long.  First top level team that team faced was in the B1GCCG.

Gardner is another player that puts up great numbers pre-season, as all UM qbs seem to, and then shit his pants during the regular season, as all UM qbs seem to.

Is college all smoke and mirrors these days? The strategy seems to be dilute your schedule, and develop a paper tiger with no quality wins until you are exposed at the end of the season. I took a glance at UofM's schedule, and it's a joke. I don't know what type of team ND is going to field this year, but they could be undefeated rolling into EL.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-07-24, 09:02

steveschneider wrote:

Is college all smoke and mirrors these days? The strategy seems to be dilute your schedule, and develop a paper tiger with no quality wins until you are exposed at the end of the season. I took a glance at UofM's schedule, and it's a joke. I don't know what type of team ND is going to field this year, but they could be undefeated rolling into EL.

My problem is that the pundits and pollsters are the only ones not wise to the game. an early loss to Oregon on the road shouldn't eliminate you from contention, but it will.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-24, 09:08

Steve wrote:Is college all smoke and mirrors these days? The strategy seems to be dilute your schedule, and develop a paper tiger with no quality wins until you are exposed at the end of the season. I took a glance at UofM's schedule, and it's a joke. I don't know what type of team ND is going to field this year, but they could be undefeated rolling into EL

I think it is, for the most part. That doesn't mean that there aren't some tough schedules out there, but the BCS didn't reward tough schedules, they only rewarded wins. Even the vaunted SEC schedules, would throw an FCS team in late October, before or after a bye, essentially giving teams a 2 week break in the toughest part of most other conferences schedules.

Basketball has it done right, and somehow football needs to get it right as well. I think it is Baylor that doesn't play anyone in non conference, they only need to really play 2 or 3 games the whole season. 

Texas A&M this year. Oct 18 @Bama, Oct 25 Bye, Nov 1 UL Monroe, Nov 8 @Aub
I'm not saying that isn't tough, but it is essentially 2 weeks between Bama and Auburn. Bama plays W Carolina on Nov 22 WTF?!? Auburn plays something called Samford on Nov 22 WTF?!?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-24, 10:14

Ass Dan wrote:

My problem is that the pundits and pollsters are the only ones not wise to the game. an early loss to Oregon on the road shouldn't eliminate you from contention, but it will.

Agree, and it's pretty lame. Was talking to a dude last year that can't stand cfb. He was like 1 loss and the season is done.

Perhaps a better future for CFB is the route of the super conferences, and where the best teams play eachother once. At the end of the season you have a playoff, and then a championship game.

The more you can do to take the game out of the hands of the writers, the computers, the commitees and the coaches voting the better.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-24, 10:16

the only CFB stats that I accept are the categories in which MSU does really well in. The rest are completely and totally skewed to favor other teams.

GO GREEN!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-07-24, 10:59

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote: Michigan is only a couple of spots behind Ohio in State population rankings, but we churn out nowhere near the HS talent. We have no HS football culture here.

I don't get that... my little burg starts with 3rd graders 5 days a week, 2.5 hrs a day. The program goes all the way through the high school.

& The high school team can't even compete. How much time do you have to put into this to be competitive? Seems like something else must be happening.

(There is no little kid 7 on 7 league as far as I know... so I guess an "off season" league could be lacking for football in MI.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-07-24, 11:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the only CFB stats that I accept are the categories in which MSU does really well in. The rest are completely and totally skewed to favor other teams.

GO GREEN!

A fitting lead in to this song, and required viewing for all in this thread...

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-07-24, 12:23

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Newton - Auburn
Foles - Arizona
Luck - Stanford

RB
Charles - Texas
Lacy - Bama
Reece - Washington
Alfred Morris - FAU

WR
DeSean Jackson - Cal
AJ Green - Georgia
Antonio Brown - CMU
Dez Bryant - Okie Lite

TE
Jordan Cameron - USC
Witten - Tennessee

OT
Duane Brown - Va Tech

OG
Marshal Yanda - Iowa
Kyle Long - Oregon

C
Mike Pouncey - Florida
Alex Mack - Cal

DE
Greg Hardy - Miss
Mario Williams - NC St
JJ Watt - Wiscy

DT
Suh - Nebraska
Dontari Poe - Memphis
Gerald McCoy - Oklahoma

LB
Suggs - ASU
Hali - PSU
Orakpo - Texas
Posluszny - PSU
Kuechly - BC

DB
Patrick Peterson - LSU
Revis Island - Pitt
Tim Jennings - Georgia

S
Eric Berry - Tennessee
Weddle - Utah
TJ Ward - Oregon

ST
Fields - MSU
Tucker - Texas
JJ Jansen - ND
Matthew Slater - UCLA

QB
Brees - Purdue
Alex Smith - Utah
Rivers - NC St

RB
Forte - Tulane
McCoy - Pitt
Murray - Oklahoma

WR
Fitz - Pitt
Gordon - Baylor
Marshall - UCF
Jeffrey - South Carolina

TE
Jimmy Graham - Miami
Gonzalez - Cal

OT
Gross - Utah
Joe Thomas - Wiscy
Tyron Smith - USC

OG
Ben Grubbs - Auburn
Evan Mathis - Bama

C
Kalil - USC
Mangold - OSU

DE
Cameron Wake - PSU
Quinn - UNC
Cameron Jordan - Cal

DT
Kyle Williams - LSU
Dareus - Bama

LB
Justin Houston - Georgia
Mathis - Alabama A&M
Burfict - ASU
Derrick Johnson - Texas

CB
Verner - UCLA
Joe Haden - Florida
Flowers - Va Tech
Cro - FSU

S
Rolle - Miami
Byrd - Oregon
Eric Reid - LSU

ST
Hekker - Oregon St
Gostkowski - Memphis
McCluster - Ole Miss

So let's tally:

SEC - 20
PAC - 20
Big 12 - 8
Other - 15
B1G - 9
ACC - 12

longcat approves of your post & for the benefit of the board I am not actually posting longcat

http://pictures.mastermarf.com/blog/2008/080823-longcat-is-long.jpg
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down