Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

The liver results:

I missed getting a picture of the whole chunk. This is part of it.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 Qpj2Sjr

The 1st bowl of pate, about a # of liver:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 Bs6g2Bj

And on a couple of crackers - need to alter the spices a bit but it's ok.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 MUCr5yR
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by aualum06 Fri May 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Pate sounds delicious. Not really
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri May 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Pate pics are broke on my end. Can you repost with imgur?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Never mind. They just appeared.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Tonight's effort on the smoker - Leg quarters, Eggs and Mac & Cheese.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 9vvygCV

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 P6fDuKG

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 JM2Z6Qn
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Never thought about smoking eggs. How long?

And, how long for the chicken & mac?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 09, 2017 7:51 pm

The Pantry wrote:Never thought about smoking eggs. How long?

And, how long for the chicken & mac?

They were both in for about 2 hours, which was too long. Next time I'll try an hour or so for both.

Eggs were really good but rubbery, the Mac/Cheese got a little too dry for me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue May 09, 2017 8:19 pm

JMO...assuming the mac & cheese is already warm before going in the smoker I'd do it like in the oven...maybe 30 minutes just to pick up a kiss of smoke.

Also, not sure what wood you used but I would go with something light like pecan, which is also great for poultry.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Pork loin effort number two coming Saturday
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm

aualum06 wrote:Pork loin effort number two coming Saturday
Bacon wrap? I use broken skewers to secure because they're sturdier than toothpicks.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Wasn't impressed with how the bacon turned out first time, I'm going to roll without bacon this time
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 pm

That's cool. The bacon isn't there to eat...more to add flavor and fat. Whatever you do, pull it to tent at 135-140. Go beyond and it'll start to dry out. Don't fear the pink.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Tonight we tried ribs. They were good, easily edible but not the greatest I've ever had. Overall a very solid 1st effort at them.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 Dj3rwip

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 IyWYuOa

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 MQBrG7E
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Beautiful
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 pm

DWags wrote:Beautiful

Thanks Wags...got 21 for lunch Sunday and we're going to try the Ribs again and a couple Butts.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu May 11, 2017 10:11 pm

How did you sauce the ribs?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 11, 2017 10:21 pm

aualum06 wrote:How did you sauce the ribs?

After they were done we sauced them and put them back in for 15 or so.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 14, 2017 9:41 am

Butt at 186 and climbing.
Ribeyes nearly to medium.
Ribs looking good.
Mac & Cheese in the smoker.
Baked Beans in the smoker.
Eggs in the smoker.
Corn bread in the pans and ready for the oven.

110 minutes to plating. 20+ relatives on the road here.
I'm ready for them I think.
Pictures to follow later.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun May 14, 2017 10:22 am

Pulled the pork loin at 145 yesterday just enough pink to make me happy. Problem was my smoker decided it didn't want to smoke correctly so I didn't get a lock of smokey flavor. Brown sugar is my new favorite spice.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 15, 2017 7:08 pm

No pics from yesterday, in all the hoohaw I forgot to take them. The butt was a huge hit, it and the newly refined Mac & cheese recipe sold out. Ribs were tender but probably on the smoker for too long, the Ribeyes definitely were. The Baked Beans were just ok. The Corn Bread was just a Jiffy mix which I hadn't made in ages and is actually surprisingly good, I guess nearly 100 years of practice pays off. Tried some eggs again and for the 2nd time they were nothing special, I think I'll drop that idea for now.

We're going to practice again this week later on Chicken and Ribeyes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun May 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Trying some spare ribs today

Salt, pepper, brown sugar. Mesquite smoke.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon May 22, 2017 8:20 pm

True confession: Co-worker is a far more inspired cook than I.

Brought slices of smoked, stuffed fatties he made over the weekend into work today. Italian sausage he ground and seasoned to a perfect mix of mild and hot. Stuffed with red bell peppers, onions, asparagus, fresh morels...and string cheese.

Was outstanding.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 am

You pork butt masters have an item of interest over at Woot:

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/wanna-rub-my-butt?ref=w_cnt_gw_zlm_bs_4
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Women's Health‏Verified account @WomensHealthMag
Blogger bakes sourdough bread using her own vaginal yeast: http://spr.ly/60148ckln
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 DAsxND6XkAATnzk
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu May 25, 2017 9:09 pm

^ Turtleneck's girlfriend?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri May 26, 2017 1:01 am

Full disclosure: I'm an awful cook. Sadly, I'm usually the one that makes dinner simply do to timing. I should probably read this thread.

I'm not sure if this meets the criteria of this thread, but here we go. I'm making some refried beans and I figured I'd give the uncut play-by-play. Sit back, relax and probably enjoy a laugh...

Step 1: Cooking the beans in the crockpot over night because I'm lazy. 1lb of pinto beans and eyeballed amounts of onion flakes/powder, cumin and garlic. Filled halfway with water and set the to High. Too much water? Too high? We'll shall see in the morning.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170511

Edit: Pic was pre-spices added.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Fri May 26, 2017 10:20 am

Nordic wrote:Full disclosure: I'm an awful cook. Sadly, I'm usually the one that makes dinner simply do to timing. I should probably read this thread.

I'm not sure if this meets the criteria of this thread, but here we go. I'm making some refried beans and I figured I'd give the uncut play-by-play. Sit back, relax and probably enjoy a laugh...

Step 1: Cooking the beans in the crockpot over night because I'm lazy. 1lb of pinto beans and eyeballed amounts of onion flakes/powder, cumin and garlic. Filled halfway with water and set the to High. Too much water? Too high? We'll shall see in the morning.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170511

Edit: Pic was pre-spices added.

Can't wait!...Not really. Good luck?
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri May 26, 2017 10:53 am

Update.  Wife wakes me up at 6:00 this morning to say I should of put the crockpot on Low, not High. I tell my sous chef to turn it on Warm and roll over.  So now we have...

Step 2: Cook on High for 5 hours, turn to Warm till you wake up.

Checked on them a little bit ago and they look and taste nice.  I think they are ready for Step 3.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170512

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri May 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Step 3: 2 Tbsp of Veg Oil, more random onion/garlic/cumin

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170513

Step 4: Add beans, stir and cook for a bit

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170516

Step 5: Mash beans like an ogre

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170515

Lunch! I did it! Fell free to copy my recipe or repost on Pinterest.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170514
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Fri May 26, 2017 1:40 pm

I can't wait till you make scrambled eggs for us next Nordy! The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 1494614055
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon May 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Have not smoked a brisket in 2 years.  GFS has choice for $2.39# thru June 10.

Gordon Food Service
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Employer gave us all .turkeys last Thanksgiving.  Of course,  they were frozen and we got them the Wednesday just before.

Spatchcocked and threw it on the WSM (400º) a half hour ago.  Olive oil and dijon mustard to help make the celtic sea salt, black pepper, and Montreal chicken seasoning stick.  Discovered I was out of pecan so using apple wood instead.  Bird is a little over 13# and should be done in less than 2 1/2 total hours with one flip.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170510
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon May 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Well, this has turned into a semi-clusterfuck. While flipping the bird the smoker top rack tipped down on one side and the bird slipped down and covered one of the wire rack handles. Decided to just let the bird go and drop onto the second level rack.

This thing won't be pretty when it's done.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Pic before the flip

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170512
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon May 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Doesn't matter how it looks if it tastes good!

FYI for any charcoal folks out there, Lowes is having a sale on Royal Oak briquettes. They burn really nice and don't have the Kingsford bitterness. Typically a 15.4 lb bag sells for $5.99 but they are on sale, 2 bags for $8. Limit 6. That's a solid deal.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 am

The Pantry wrote:Pic before the flip

How'd it turn out?

I've got to go to Bay city in the next couple days so I'm going to grab a couple of the Gordon's briskets for this weekend.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue May 30, 2017 5:07 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Pic before the flip

How'd it turn out?

I've got to go to Bay city in the next couple days so I'm going to grab a couple of the Gordon's briskets for this weekend.
Like expected, it wasn't as pretty as other birds I've done

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 20170514

Did it without a temp monitor.  Didn't probe until about 2 hours 15 minutes.  Thigh area was at 195, much higher than I expected or wanted.  Pulled it and grabbed a leg before taking the pic.  It was tasty but the breast meat ended up a little dry.  Carved off the breast chunks after it cooled and put them in a ziploc...should be good for smoked turkey salad sandwiches with celery, onion, and either mayo or Greek yogurt to add some moisture.

Usually keep the carcass to make stock but not this one.  Though it said "Amish" the bag also listed the usual ingredients in store bought turkeys.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue May 30, 2017 8:37 pm

Pics of dinner tonight for you savages.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 34190484083_df38b9243d_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 34190486863_eed4e528ae_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 34190491123_5a83a63ca6_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 34157901634_ef69d3ba42_c

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Pics of dinner tonight for you savages.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 34190484083_df38b9243d_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 34190486863_eed4e528ae_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 34190491123_5a83a63ca6_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 4 34157901634_ef69d3ba42_c

Looks good, did you give the kids cereal? ;=)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue May 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Actually yes. The 7 year old wanted oatmeal.

My family does not eat what I eat typically. They are not interested in my meat/protein heavy foods so I just go it alone.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next