Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 7 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:32 pm

MSU addict wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
I did ok. I could have done better with a better cleaning product. I fucked up the finish on the rails in the dishwasher. Oh well. The paint looks good.

The kettle I couldn't do much with. I soaked it for a bit but was wary of the power cord so I didn't want to get it too wet. Probably could have done better here with a degreaser, too, but it seemed fine.
Glad to hear you are happy with the purchase.

I thought everyone but my wife knows not to put aluminum in a dishwasher. Dishwashers use a very alkaline detergent and aluminum needs to be cleaned with acidic cleaners. You can probably make them look good again. A paste made of cream of tartar works well, but you should see improvement wiping them down with just vinegar or lemon juice. Google fixing oxidized aluminum.

The kettle also comes apart if you really want to give it a deep clean.

More extra screws.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:35 pm

I sent the wife and kids up north on Thursday night (had a full day of work on Friday) so I might have had a couple of vodka sodas once the deep cleaning portion of the evening started. :)

What is a good way to clean the kettle? I'm not overly concerned about it but I think it would look nice to have that thing shiny and clean.

I will probably purchase new doors. I can't imagine they are too expensive. They are the one part that sticks out as kinda old and shabby. One has a crack in. Wonder if AU got his hands on it before I picked it up.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:35 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
MSU addict wrote:Glad to hear you are happy with the purchase.

I thought everyone but my wife knows not to put aluminum in a dishwasher. Dishwashers use a very alkaline detergent and aluminum needs to be cleaned with acidic cleaners. You can probably make them look good again. A paste made of cream of tartar works well, but you should see improvement wiping them down with just vinegar or lemon juice. Google fixing oxidized aluminum.

The kettle also comes apart if you really want to give it a deep clean.

More extra screws.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 502811600 The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 502811600

Truth.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:44 pm

Nice work WBH.

Don't quite get the thing with the kettle. No idea how it is put together. Is the heating element part of the kettle and you can't disconnect it to get it sand or bead blasted?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:49 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I sent the wife and kids up north on Thursday night (had a full day of work on Friday) so I might have had a couple of vodka sodas once the deep cleaning portion of the evening started. :)

What is a good way to clean the kettle? I'm not overly concerned about it but I think it would look nice to have that thing shiny and clean.

I will probably purchase new doors. I can't imagine they are too expensive. They are the one part that sticks out as kinda old and shabby. One has a crack in. Wonder if AU got his hands on it before I picked it up.
My first thought would be one of the commercial popcorn cleaners. But in absence of that vinegar and if it is stainless you might try oven cleaner. NOT if your kettle is aluminum (the inner part of mine is anodized aluminum). I have had good success with oven cleaner on my stainless gas grill, but obviously it is harsh.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 pm

I'll post a pic. It's a flex metal tube connector. Honestly that type of work is above what I was (and probably still am) willing to put in to get it nice and shiny. It works fine and no pubes or cig butts in it after washing the inside out. If I could hit it with a degreaser/cleaner and a brillo pad in the sink for 15 minutes without having to worry about messing up the electrical portion I might go for it. Or if I could just buy a new one for $50.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:52 pm

The Pantry wrote:Nice work WBH.

Don't quite get the thing with the kettle. No idea how it is put together. Is the heating element part of the kettle and you can't disconnect it to get it sand or bead blasted?
It should be a ring screwed in separately, there is also going to be a thermostat and likely a fuse in there.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:55 pm

The baked on grease is just unsightly. It is not hurting anything, kind of like a build up on a cast iron skillet.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

MSU addict wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I sent the wife and kids up north on Thursday night (had a full day of work on Friday) so I might have had a couple of vodka sodas once the deep cleaning portion of the evening started. :)

My first thought would be one of the commercial popcorn cleaners. But in absence of that vinegar and if it is stainless you might try oven cleaner. NOT if your kettle is aluminum (the inner part of mine is anodized aluminum). I have had good success with oven cleaner on my stainless gas grill, but obviously it is harsh.

Thanks. I don't think it's aluminum but hard to tell.

Here are some pics of the setup.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35928486992_55255c7bf3

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 36057512536_52ee25930e

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35258291564_c6e8a9b212_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35258294844_5e79e6ed47_z
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'll post a pic. It's a flex metal tube connector. Honestly that type of work is above what I was (and probably still am) willing to put in to get it nice and shiny. It works fine and no pubes or cig butts in it after washing the inside out. If I could hit it with a degreaser/cleaner and a brillo pad in the sink for 15 minutes without having to worry about messing up the electrical portion I might go for it. Or if I could just buy a new one for $50.
I would not use a brillo pad on shiny stainless. Use a scratchless pad.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:04 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
MSU addict wrote:My first thought would be one of the commercial popcorn cleaners.  But in absence of that vinegar and if it is stainless you might try oven cleaner.  NOT if your kettle is aluminum (the inner part of mine is anodized aluminum).  I have had good success with oven cleaner on my stainless gas grill, but obviously it is harsh.  

Thanks. I don't think it's aluminum but hard to tell.

Here are some pics of the setup.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35928486992_55255c7bf3

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 36057512536_52ee25930e

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35258291564_c6e8a9b212_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35258294844_5e79e6ed47_z
It is hard to tell.  The outer kettle looks stainless but the inner kettle looks aluminum to me from the pictures.

The stirrer and weight will be stainless.

Also, two different crews on electrical connector so someone had it off at one point.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 pm

MSU addict wrote:
Also, two different crews on electrical connector so someone had it off at one point.

OK Sherlock that's enough of that. The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 502811600
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:56 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

OK Sherlock that's enough of that. The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 502811600
Pretty clear now that Goose fucked with the screws
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Beware. Extra-gassy warning.

Bush's Baked Beans Recall: Can Defect Could Allow Bacteria To Grow
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 am

LooseGoose wrote:These auctions are strange things....after not recalling ever seeing a commercial popcorn machine now they appear in back to back weeks in auctions 70 miles apart.   This seems to be a different animal than the last one, more expensive to buy new but also needing much more rehab than the one last week.

Will see if MSU thinks it's even salvageable......

Popcorn Machine
I looks like this thing will go pretty cheap, and it should.

Obviously, I am not inspecting the machine and the pictures are not the best quality so it is difficult to give a fair assessment.  I know they say it "works" but I can guarantee they did not make popcorn in it to test it.

Popcorn machines are not complicated.  You have a motor that stirs things, a kettle with a heating element a thermostat, and a separate heating element and light in the box to keep the cooked popcorn warm.  Throw in a couple of fuses, switches and a big box - that is a popcorn machine.

I am not sure what they mean by “works.”  It is clear from the pics they never turned stirring motor on, otherwise the base of the kettle would show it.  So given the rust on the rest of the machine, that concerns me.  The motor would be expensive to replace if it does not (repair might be more cost effective).

I am not sure when the machine was built, but I would guess some time around 1990.   I believe  Cretors offered two kettles in that time frame, a nickel plated steel and all stainless.  (They now also offer nickel plated aluminum.)  I don’t see any plating so my best guess is that is the all stainless steel kettle.  If that is true I think there is a fair chance that it polishes up fine.  There is a lot of rust, but it seems to be surface rust.  There may be some pitting, but I do think there is a fair chance it looks decent.  You still have a heating element and thermostat to worry about.

I am not sure how that machine gets that level of rust.  I know that high heat and stainless can = rust, but there is rust where I simply would not expect it.  My guess is the machine spent a number of years outside exposed to the elements.  It has not been used in years and that is a major concern.  

Why they stopped using it is also a concern, because people often stop using something when it breaks and a repair was not cost effective.

If I was looking for a project, I would have no problem taking a flyer and bidding $25 to $50 bucks on it.  But I am not looking for a project.

Parts for that machine exist, but they are not cheap.  Not something you are readily going to find on eBay.  If most of the parts work (I have my concerns) you could make some money parting it out on eBay if things go badly.

If you do buy it, just get rid of that ugly yellow top trim.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:12 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I've always loved movie theater popcorn but what prompted me to try to take it up a notch and actually recreate it at home was a trip a few years ago to WDW. I probably posted it in a thread. You could blame it on the "atmosphere" but when we go to the parks it's typically 95+ with 95+ humidity so I don't think that's it. Maybe if it were Mickey Dove bars or Dasani. It's just freaking excellent popcorn, better than what I've had in a theater anywhere, and it was consistent throughout the parks.

So I did some research, and they outwardly advertise the ingredients they use, because of allergies and whatnot:

Lou Ana Pop n Lite popping oil
Diamond Crystal nut and popcorn salt
Pop Secret kernels

I had been trying other stuff on the stovetop and not quite able to replicate movie theater-good, let alone Magic Kingdom good. I used a big wok typically for a pan. I tried falvacol. I tried coconut oil. I tried some butter flavored oil addict linked me to. I tried the wok with the lid partially off to let steam escape. I tried the wok with a plastic colander on top (whoops) to let steam escape. I tried using my big aluminum foil chafing pans, one on top and one on bottom, poking holes in the one on top to let steam escape. I tried mixing the kernels and the salt and the oil together first. I tried putting the salt on after. I got the WDW ingredients and tried all of that again. Still no dice.

I got some ok results but nothing close. Not buttery enough, not light enough, too soggy, etc. This was jackpot.

Definitely something about the extra space for the steam and the constant mixing of the buttery oil with the kernels and the salt.
First off as a father of a three year old daughter with multiple serious food allergies, I will say Disney is outstanding when it comes to food allergies. They are really are great (so is Great Wolf Lodge FWIW).

The oil that they are using is a 50/50 coconut and canola oil blend. I guess they are splitting the difference on that debate. That oil does contain an added butter flavor (but no dairy). I see a lot of Lou Ana pop-n-lite in different packaging so I should point out that specifically they use LouAna Pop-N-Lite® Premium Rich Buttery Popping Oil. I have no idea if it differs from any of the other pop-n-lite's.

I will try it some time in the future, though I doubt I will buy the 40lb box Disney uses.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:23 pm

MSU addict wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:These auctions are strange things....after not recalling ever seeing a commercial popcorn machine now they appear in back to back weeks in auctions 70 miles apart.   This seems to be a different animal than the last one, more expensive to buy new but also needing much more rehab than the one last week.

Will see if MSU thinks it's even salvageable......

Popcorn Machine
I looks like this thing will go pretty cheap, and it should.

Obviously, I am not inspecting the machine and the pictures are not the best quality so it is difficult to give a fair assessment.  I know they say it "works" but I can guarantee they did not make popcorn in it to test it.

Popcorn machines are not complicated.  You have a motor that stirs things, a kettle with a heating element a thermostat, and a separate heating element and light in the box to keep the cooked popcorn warm.  Throw in a couple of fuses, switches and a big box - that is a popcorn machine.

I am not sure what they mean by “works.”  It is clear from the pics they never turned stirring motor on, otherwise the base of the kettle would show it.  So given the rust on the rest of the machine, that concerns me.  The motor would be expensive to replace if it does not (repair might be more cost effective).

I am not sure when the machine was built, but I would guess some time around 1990.   I believe  Cretors offered two kettles in that time frame, a nickel plated steel and all stainless.  (They now also offer nickel plated aluminum.)  I don’t see any plating so my best guess is that is the all stainless steel kettle.  If that is true I think there is a fair chance that it polishes up fine.  There is a lot of rust, but it seems to be surface rust.  There may be some pitting, but I do think there is a fair chance it looks decent.  You still have a heating element and thermostat to worry about.

I am not sure how that machine gets that level of rust.  I know that high heat and stainless can = rust, but there is rust where I simply would not expect it.  My guess is the machine spent a number of years outside exposed to the elements.  It has not been used in years and that is a major concern.  

Why they stopped using it is also a concern, because people often stop using something when it breaks and a repair was not cost effective.

If I was looking for a project, I would have no problem taking a flyer and bidding $25 to $50 bucks on it.  But I am not looking for a project.

Parts for that machine exist, but they are not cheap.  Not something you are readily going to find on eBay.  If most of the parts work (I have my concerns) you could make some money parting it out on eBay if things go badly.

If you do buy it, just get rid of that ugly yellow top trim.

Went for $82.....I was tempted but decided I've got enough projects right now (2 tractors and a speed boat) so I passed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:50 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Went for $82.....I was tempted but decided I've got enough projects right now (2 tractors and a speed boat) so I passed.
That is more than I would have expected. Reviewing the bids it seems that three people wanted it, so that probably drove the price up.

I think there were just too many unknowns to bid that high - unless you really wanted a fairly large popcorn machine and restoring it was more a labor of love.

But I will admit I am curious if someone could get it running without replacing anything.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Burritos!!!!

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 20170712

- Lean organic ground beef
- organic black beans (cooked overnight)
- Diced Jalepanos pickeled a couple weeks ago
- Diced Kroger tomatos
- Random store bought organic salsa
- Siracha
- Lightly fried on a skillet tortilla (white, non-organic...fuck it...they are good)
- Mash some of the beans, salsa, siracha, veggies into a sauce...mix with meat...pile more beans

Viola!

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 20170711

Be sure to pin on pinterest and like on facechef!
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Whoops...forgot the guac...fixed
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Nordic wrote:Burritos!!!!

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 20170712

- Lean organic ground beef
- organic black beans (cooked overnight)
- Diced Jalepanos pickeled a couple weeks ago
- Diced Kroger tomatos
- Random store bought organic salsa
- Siracha
- Lightly fried on a skillet tortilla (white, non-organic...fuck it...they are good)
- Mash some of the beans, salsa, siracha, veggies into a sauce...mix with meat...pile more beans

Viola!

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 20170711

Nicely done!

Was a bean purist for years for chili...2:1 mix of black and kidney.  Used only dry organic and soaked them overnight in water with either fresh lemon juice or fresh whey.  After a rinse and getting them to a boil, and skimming of the scum, they took 3-4 hours over very low heat.  Cooking them 8 hours over very low heat like the original recipe I found and followed turned them unpleasantly mushy.

Now, I'm lazy and use canned organic beans.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:29 am

The run of popcorn machine auctions continues......amazing after seeing none for years. This one seems to be a $450-$500 machine new.

Gold Medal 2450D

Gold medal master popcorn machine runs, half of one hinge is missing see photo (location c3)

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 648
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 am

Nordic wrote:Burritos!!!!

Looks good....i'd order it with some sort of sauce over it....what are you offering?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:46 am

LooseGoose wrote:The run of popcorn machine auctions continues......amazing after seeing none for years. This one seems to be a $450-$500 machine new.

Gold Medal 2450D

Gold medal master popcorn machine runs, half of one hinge is missing see photo (location c3)

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 648
Maybe it is just heightened awareness, but it does seem like a lot of popcorn machines.

IMO, though similarly priced, the one WBH just bought is a much better machine. This is really more of an economy machine built for the home market. It is missing several features that WBH's machine has, including the pull out back piece under the doors (helps with cleaning and keeping in the popcorn when popping). It also does not have a warmer in the bottom only a top heat lamp (which they replaced with a CFL - kind of defeats the purpose). The kettle dump mechanism on WBH's is better IMO, which I believe the newer model of the 2450 has.

It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 pm

I've been experimenting with no recipe baking lately.   Going by feel and seeing how things turn out.   Coupled with my fixation on blueberries and you get this tonight......sort of a blueberry cake/cobbler cross.   Damned tasty.

Out of the oven:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 YmWwIoY

Frosted and plated:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 Nh3kW0k

If anyone is interested wrote down what I did after tasting it.....

BBCake
Melt stick of butter
4C Flour
Tablespoon Baking powder
Cup sugar
Mix
Add 3 eggs
Keep Mixing
Add milk to make flowing batter – about a cup
Keep mixing
3 pints Bbs
Mix

Bake 350   50+ Minutes
9x13 pan
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:16 pm

ThermoPro TP03A Digital Food Cooking Thermometer Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Kitchen BBQ Grill Smoker

$10.99
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:47 am

Put an 8 pound butt on the smoker at 9:30. Doing fat side up. Had it marinating in a mustard spread and a "booty rub" I found since Friday night, when I was alone. . I need to be away from the house from 12:30 till about 3:15. A bit worried about temp regulation. Any suggestions?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:04 am

Depends on your cooker. If it's a WSM I'd add more lump charcoal and a couple more wood chunks just before you leave.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:06 am

The Pantry wrote:Depends on your cooker. If it's a WSM I'd add more lump charcoal and a couple more wood chunks just before you leave.

Will do. If it gets too hot or too cold for an hour on an 8 lb but it can't be too bad I'm thinking.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 am

Yeah, it'll be fine even if the thing rises to 400 (unlikely) for a while.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:33 pm

alright, so my buddy brought a full 7 bone prime (literally, prime - it was $230) rib roast up north to leave in my feeble hands for cooking. There were 6 of us. The marbling was pretty god damned nice. I split it up into ridiculous 2-2.5" steaks, did the salt bath to draw the moisture out, smoked over oak very low and then finished in a charcoal/oak fire for 2 min or so on each side until we got up to 115/120.

Glorious. We are all 40-46? in age, have had some interesting trips and meals and I got everyone to admit it was the best, if not top 2 steaks they've ever had in their lives.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35608582403_d3dd876564_c

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35608585273_4da8ce00e5_c

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 36416189705_4eddede7fa_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:alright, so my buddy brought a full 7 bone prime (literally, prime - it was $230) rib roast up north to leave in my feeble hands for cooking. There were 6 of us. The marbling was pretty god damned nice. I split it up into ridiculous 2-2.5" steaks, did the salt bath to draw the moisture out, smoked over oak very low and then finished in a charcoal/oak fire for 2 min or so on each side until we got up to 115/120.

Glorious. We are all 40-46? in age, have had some interesting trips and meals and I got everyone to admit it was the best, if not top 2 steaks they've ever had in their lives.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 7 35608582403_d3dd876564_c

Clean your fucking counter.

Those do look awesome though......
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 am

DWags wrote:Put an 8 pound butt on the smoker at 9:30. Doing fat side up. Had it marinating in a mustard spread and a "booty rub" I found since Friday night, when I was alone. . I need to be away from the house from 12:30 till about 3:15. A bit worried about temp regulation. Any suggestions?

How did the butt turn out Wags?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Just for Addict and WBH - the next step?

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:alright, so my buddy brought a full 7 bone prime (literally, prime - it was $230) rib roast up north to leave in my feeble hands for cooking. There were 6 of us. The marbling was pretty god damned nice. I split it up into ridiculous 2-2.5" steaks, did the salt bath to draw the moisture out, smoked over oak very low and then finished in a charcoal/oak fire for 2 min or so on each side until we got up to 115/120.

Clean your fucking counter.

Those do look awesome though......

Looks great. I have a four lb prime rib on the gas grill indirect heat, 2.5 hours, looking for about a 125 internal and will take it off.

The Butt was good to average, I had to leave for three hours and didn't babysit the temp. Then, you know what I did with the coals after.....great.

Anybody... Salt plate cooking? Anybody try it? I saw one at lowes the other day. Peaked my interest
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:16 pm

I have one I will give you if you want it. Parents got it for me for my birthday a couple of years ago. I'll never use it, too lazy. I have too many other labor intensive cooking methods I already use.

Re: popcorn - fuckin' Amish man. Always trying to one up the civilized.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:20 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have one I will give you if you want it. Parents got it for me for my birthday a couple of years ago. I'll never use it, too lazy. I have too many other labor intensive cooking methods I already use.

Re: popcorn - fuckin' Amish man. Always trying to one up the civilized.

Yeah, read up on it a bit, seems like a big project. They used to have those at a place on lake st. claire back int he 90's they called them "hot rocks" brought them to your table, with way over marinated shrimp or chicken or small cut up beef. you sat there and cooked them on your table and ate whatever you cooked. They stay hot for quite a bit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:54 am

Checking to see if anyone can tell me if I'm opening a can of worms here.....

Got one of my family gatherings set for next weekend. My SiL and I were planning to smoke a butt but now this has grown from 6-8 people to 20 or more. Obviously I can throw another butt on to feed more. I was thinking of doing sort of a smoker smorgasbord to serve up a variety. One of the stores up here has Spare Ribs for $1.29-$1.69 this week so that's a good option - how many hours for them? I was also thinking that with a couple hours to go to throw some Frog Legs and Cod on to cook. Any other ideas on items I could add the morning of?

Biggest question is whether I'm potentially going to cause problems by adding additional food at the end of the cook like that?

Desserts requested so far are Peach Cobbler and Coconut Custard pie so I should have a slew of pics to post.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:01 pm

I think can of worms. It becomes a bear to manage cooking more than one type of meat on the smoker. Spares by standard are 3-2-1 (3 in the smoke, 2 in foil and last hour unwrapped to firm up) at 225, but will fluctuate quite a bit based on temp. You don't want to be juggling things, pulling pork, wrapping and unwrapping ribs, checking for doneness, etc. Stick with butts. Or briskets.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:49 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Checking to see if anyone can tell me if I'm opening a can of worms here.....

Got one of my family gatherings set for next weekend. My SiL and I were planning to smoke a butt but now this has grown from 6-8 people to 20 or more. Obviously I can throw another butt on to feed more. I was thinking of doing sort of a smoker smorgasbord to serve up a variety. One of the stores up here has Spare Ribs for $1.29-$1.69 this week so that's a good option - how many hours for them? I was also thinking that with a couple hours to go to throw some Frog Legs and Cod on to cook. Any other ideas on items I could add the morning of?

Biggest question is whether I'm potentially going to cause problems by adding additional food at the end of the cook like that?

Desserts requested so far are Peach Cobbler and Coconut Custard pie so I should have a slew of pics to post.
You could throw some fatties or meatloaf on maybe 7-8 hours into the butt cook. They will take maybe 2 hours at 225.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 25  Next