Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PAC-12 proposal to deal with one and done situation...... restore freshman ineligibility.

+13
RBW Spartan
Three_Putt_Par
WhiteBoyHatcher
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
sprtnbrn
Giant Moose
Hut1hut2
CrazySparty
dubie7006
Ass Dan
tanfan!
WBill
17 posters

Go down

PAC-12 proposal to deal with one and done situation...... restore freshman ineligibility. Empty PAC-12 proposal to deal with one and done situation...... restore freshman ineligibility.

Post by WBill 2014-06-02, 18:35

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/lorenzo-romar-doubts-pac-12s-freshmen-ineligibility-proposal/

"On May 21, the Pac-12 presidents issued a letter to the other four power conferences, listing 10 key objectives for reform. While objectives included strengthening Academic Progress Report requirements and providing proper medical care for injuries student-athletes suffered during practice or competition, the proposed change regarding the “one-and-done” rule grab the most attention.

The NBA age requirement is currently 19-years-old. If the NBA fails to raise that age limit, Pac-12 presidents have proposed this change:

7. Address the “one and done” phenomenon in men’s basketball. If the National Basketball Association and its Players Association are unable to agree on raising the age limit for players, consider restoring the freshman ineligibility rule in men’s basketball.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

PAC-12 proposal to deal with one and done situation...... restore freshman ineligibility. Empty Re: PAC-12 proposal to deal with one and done situation...... restore freshman ineligibility.

Post by tanfan! 2014-06-02, 18:39

Great idea. **** you Kentucky
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

PAC-12 proposal to deal with one and done situation...... restore freshman ineligibility. Empty Re: PAC-12 proposal to deal with one and done situation...... restore freshman ineligibility.

Post by Ass Dan 2014-06-02, 18:56

Awesome. Punish kids for no good reason.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-06-02, 19:01

Ass Dan wrote:Awesome. Punish kids for no good reason.  

I mostly agree with this. You'll see a ton of kids going the Europe for a year route. I can't wait to see the first Pac-12 school that magically landed the best player in the country bitch about not being able to play him because of their own stupid rules.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-06-02, 19:12

That is a stupid proposal.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 2014-06-02, 20:09

Great move, eliminates the aau and street pimp element. Would help the MSU programs, while crushing unc and uk
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-06-02, 20:38

Just more nonsense that hurts the actual athletes while schools try to make us much money as possible off of them.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-06-02, 20:45

Hut1hut2 wrote:Great move, eliminates the aau  and street pimp element. Would help the MSU programs, while crushing unc and uk

PAC-12 proposal to deal with one and done situation...... restore freshman ineligibility. 502811600 Yeah, not being able to play Gary Harris, Valentine, or Costello last season, Ellis and Schilling this season, or Nairn, Bess and Clark next season sure helps MSU

Last edited by CrazySparty on 2014-06-02, 20:49; edited 1 time in total
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-06-02, 20:46

I'll take ways to kill the college game for 100, Alex.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-06-02, 21:03

If they ever resorted to this it would be just a ploy to get the NBA to change their policy.

But without frosh eligiblity
1) you would also have to increase the number of scholarships, you couldn't get through a season with 3-4 of your scholarship players ineligible.
2) the game would look less like a NBA understudy team than a Euro ball league with teams dominated by 5th year 23 year olds.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-06-02, 21:07

WBill wrote:If they ever resorted to this it would be just a ploy to get the NBA to change their policy.

But without frosh eligiblity
1) you would also have to increase the number of scholarships, you couldn't get through a season with 3-4 of your scholarship players ineligible.
2) the game would look less like a NBA understudy team than a Euro ball league with teams dominated by 5th year 23 year olds.

Increasing scholarships would also damage the lower-tier "Big 5" schools as well as mid-major programs.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-06-02, 21:20

Not the solution. At this point, what is? The NBA has the college game by the balls.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-02, 22:58

I like it. The nba would drop the age back to 18 but it would keep some good kids two years at least. Meantime, the D-league would be full of 18 yr olds who thought they could make the jump but couldn't. In a few years that type of kid would be watching the Jazz of the NCAA tournament and lamenting the fact they weren't apart of it. In the future those kids will choose the NCAA over the nba and everyone will be happy.

Or it will just stay the same because it's a fucking joke.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-02, 23:06

I hate the feeder system the way it is now. Loathe it. Any change is good. Honestly, I would rather have a system where all of the top ranked AAU types played in the NBDL and college basketball was full of marginally talented kids who planned on graduating and staying 4 or 5 years.

I guess I'm getting old.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Three_Putt_Par 2014-06-03, 00:18

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I hate the feeder system the way it is now. Loathe it. Any change is good. Honestly, I would rather have a system where all of the top ranked AAU types played in the NBDL and college basketball was full of marginally talented kids who planned on graduating and staying 4 or 5 years.

I guess I'm getting old.

I'm all for letting kids go to the NBA whenever. However, once they commit to college, they must stay at least 3 years like CFB. Will the talent level in college suffer? Probably. Will it be more fun to watch and create more parity? I think so.
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-03, 07:44

Three_Putt_Par wrote:

I'm all for letting kids go to the NBA whenever. However, once they commit to college, they must stay at least 3 years like CFB. Will the talent level in college suffer? Probably. Will it be more fun to watch and create more parity? I think so.

Kids don't HAVE to stay in CFB for 3 years; they just need to hit a certain age before they can be drafted. Slight, but important difference.

You can't force a kid to stay in college for 3 years (after a year he could drop out or go to Europe). However, what you CAN do is make each scholarship 2-4 years. So, hypothetically, if each scholarship was a 4 year scholarship, we couldn't use Harris' scholarship to get a player this year or next.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-06-03, 08:56

He probably meant baseball. I'm pretty sure that once you take a scholarship, you have to be in school for 3 years before going pro. I think you also have the option of turning down school to go pro out of HS. I don't understand why CBB can't do something like that. If you do go to school, you have to be there for 3 years.

Wikipedia wrote:All players resident in the U.S. and its territories are eligible to be selected in Major League Baseball's Rule 4 Draft upon graduating from high school. However, once a player enrolls in a four-year college or university, he is not allowed to be drafted (or re-drafted) until completing three years of school or reaching age 21, whichever comes first. By contrast, players who enroll in junior colleges (i.e., two-year institutions) are eligible for selection at any time. The Rule 4 Draft of eligible college and high school players consists of 40 rounds.[5] Despite MLB's draft being considerably longer than that of the NFL or NBA, only about 9.1% of all NCAA senior baseball players are drafted by an MLB team.[6]
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-06-03, 10:58

Terrible idea, but SOMETHING has to change. The entire sport is stuck in limbo right now all so NBA owners and GMs can be saved from themselves.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat Guy on Couch 2014-06-03, 11:10

dubie7006 wrote:
I mostly agree with this.  You'll see a ton of kids going the Europe for a year route.  I can't wait to see the first Pac-12 school that magically landed the best player in the country bitch about not being able to play him because of their own stupid rules.

I don't think Europe would become very popular, as there have been some to try it with pretty terrible results.

I think the development league would actually benefit a lot, and this might actually make that league much more viable and popular. (That said, this proposal is dumber than Brady Hoke).
Fat Guy on Couch
Fat Guy on Couch
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-06-03, 11:23

I think the best fix is get rid of the age minimum to enter the NBA.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down