Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

37 yrs ago today. Hostages in Iran, Carter told us to put a sweater on and turn the heat down, Mortgage rates were 12-15% and then....

+8
Stoops21
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
Robert J Sakimano
Death Roe
Watch Out Pylon!
WhiteBoyHatcher
DWags
12 posters

Go down

37 yrs ago today.  Hostages in Iran, Carter told us to put a sweater on and turn the heat  down, Mortgage rates were 12-15% and then.... Empty 37 yrs ago today. Hostages in Iran, Carter told us to put a sweater on and turn the heat down, Mortgage rates were 12-15% and then....

Post by DWags 2017-02-22, 15:07

Miracle

I was playing Cadillac in basketball when they stopped the game to tell the crowd the fucking college kids had just beat the greatest hockey team ever put together.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

37 yrs ago today.  Hostages in Iran, Carter told us to put a sweater on and turn the heat  down, Mortgage rates were 12-15% and then.... Empty Re: 37 yrs ago today. Hostages in Iran, Carter told us to put a sweater on and turn the heat down, Mortgage rates were 12-15% and then....

Post by Guest 2017-02-22, 15:13

DWags wrote:Miracle

I was playing Cadillac in basketball when they stopped the game to tell the crowd the fucking college kids had just beat the greatest hockey team ever put together.  

Damn.   I thought you were going to tell us a heart warming Ronnie story. Was that today? I would have been drinkin' and smokin' in Wonders that night.

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2017-02-22, 15:14; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

37 yrs ago today.  Hostages in Iran, Carter told us to put a sweater on and turn the heat  down, Mortgage rates were 12-15% and then.... Empty Re: 37 yrs ago today. Hostages in Iran, Carter told us to put a sweater on and turn the heat down, Mortgage rates were 12-15% and then....

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-22, 15:14

What is this a Billie Joel song
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-02-22, 15:16

I was not really remembering all that much in 1980.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-02-22, 15:17

Still the greatest sports moment in American history. Never gonna be topped.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-22, 15:21

Death Roe wrote:Still the greatest sports moment in American history. Never gonna be topped.

Poppycock. Joey Chestnut's regaining of his title at Coney Island last summer easily tops it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-22, 15:21

The Russians really fucked up there. If you look at the roster of 1980, 1984 and 1988, that 80 roster was about the least of all of them. Yet, they beat a team who had just destroyed the NHL all stars a month or so earlier.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-02-22, 15:24

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Death Roe wrote:Still the greatest sports moment in American history. Never gonna be topped.

Poppycock. Joey Chestnut's regaining of his title at Coney Island last summer easily tops it.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'd put the Falcons getting to the Super Bowl as America's greatest sports moment. This is a Falcons board, it deserves to be the best.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-02-22, 15:29

I bet the US beating the Soviet Union was one of the worst days in Donald Trump's life.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-02-22, 15:30

Death Roe wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Actually, the more I think about it, I'd put the Falcons getting to the Super Bowl as America's greatest sports moment. This is a Falcons board, it deserves to be the best.

Good point. Though I still have that #2 behind Great American Hero Joey Chestnut.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-02-22, 15:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I bet the US beating the Soviet Union was one of the worst days in Donald Trump's life.

Mods, time to move to the Bin.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-22, 15:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I bet the US beating the Soviet Union was one of the worst days in Donald Trump's life.

Are you kidding? He knew the Russians were throwing the game and the fix was in. Him and Antipastapins got rich.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-02-22, 15:38

DWags wrote:

Are you kidding? He knew the Russians were throwing the game and the fix was in. Him and Antipastapins got rich.
37 yrs ago today.  Hostages in Iran, Carter told us to put a sweater on and turn the heat  down, Mortgage rates were 12-15% and then.... 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-02-22, 16:01

My wife was actually at the game. Her father worked for ABC at the time.

I know, cool story bro.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-02-22, 16:04

It was 2-2 after the first period and the Russian coach panicked and pulled the starting goalie (the best goalie in the world BTW). That F up was a key part in the win. USA! USA! USA!

Funny how everyone saw it on tape delay at night and didn't know the outcome even though the game was actually played earlier that day. Something that could never happen anymore.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-02-22, 16:11

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2017-02-22, 16:14

Miracle is one of my favorite movies. Chills every damn time I watch it.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-02-22, 16:21

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-02-22, 16:22

CheesySpartan wrote:It was 2-2 after the first period and the Russian coach panicked and pulled the starting goalie (the best goalie in the world BTW).  That F up was a key part in the win.  USA! USA! USA!

Funny how everyone saw it on tape delay at night and didn't know the outcome even though the game was actually played earlier that day.  Something that could never happen anymore.

The concept of tape delay is weird, and I lived through it.  But you're right, even without cell phones and the internet in 1980, it's amazing the news didn't get out.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-22, 17:23

MSU addict wrote:My wife was actually at the game. Her father worked for ABC at the time.

I know, cool story bro.

It is cool. Cool as hell.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-02-22, 17:26

Floyd Robertson wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:It was 2-2 after the first period and the Russian coach panicked and pulled the starting goalie (the best goalie in the world BTW).  That F up was a key part in the win.  USA! USA! USA!

Funny how everyone saw it on tape delay at night and didn't know the outcome even though the game was actually played earlier that day.  Something that could never happen anymore.

The concept of tape delay is weird, and I lived through it.  But you're right, even without cell phones and the internet in 1980, it's amazing the news didn't get out.

I'd say from bad memory that the announcement in our high school gym during the basketball game was about 8:00 pm. I don't remember the time of tape delay but I think some word got out.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-02-22, 17:29

DWags wrote:The Russians really fucked up there. If you look at the roster of 1980, 1984 and 1988, that 80 roster was about the least of all of them. Yet, they beat a team who had just destroyed the NHL all stars a month or so earlier.
That's true. I think (and I could be wrong), that was somewhat of a transitional year for the Sovs, in as much that a dominant pro all star team playing against amateurs could have a transitional team. The great players of the 80s that would break into the NHL later in their careers were just getting started (Fetisov, Makarov, Kasatonov, Larionov, etc. were all just 20-22 years old....Larionov wasn't even on that Olympic team).

Damn, what a moment. I remember watching it as a 7 year old. In the early 90s when ESPN (or perhaps Classic Sports) showed the broadcast in its entirety, I was so pumped to be able to record it and have it on tape. It's impossible for me to watch the last few seconds, and Al Michaels' legendary call, without getting goosebumps. Even got goosebumps just typing that.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-02-22, 17:39

Floyd Robertson wrote:

I think it was just accepted as a fact of life, for the most part. Maybe because I was a kid and didn't really think about it, but if there was something tape delayed, you just watched it like it was live. No one (that I knew anyway), was calling up to Lake Placid (or locations of other events that were tape delayed in those days) to find out the score, and no one from those areas were calling their friends to spoil it. People didn't crave the ego trip of being the first one to know. Well, I'm sure some did, but I never ran into any of that among me, my friends, my parents friends, etc.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-02-22, 17:42

Story my old man tells is the game was on tape delay but everyone found out that didn't follow it live anyways before it aired on primetime.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-02-22, 18:05

20 Things You Might Not Know About the "Miracle on Ice"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2017-02-22, 23:15

gHost Spartan wrote:I remember watching Inside the NFL on HBO every week and it was like fucking Christmas. You got to see all the highlights from the other NFL games which you didn't always get to see. Shit was crazy back then...
I always feel bad for my kids that they will never experience these types of things that we did growing up. I always wonder how the instant gratification generation will end up. I still remember the thrill when my cousin Steve would take us out to his garage and dig out his dad's stash of Hustlers and Playboys.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down