Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor

+15
CaptainSlow33
Triple Sparty
Blanch32
xsanguine
Dendrobates
Cameron
I.B. Fine
CheesySpartan
tGreenWay
Jake from State Farm
BleacherSwill
DWags
MSU addict
Other Teams Pursuing That
tanfan!
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

V.I.P Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor

Post by tanfan! 2017-03-12, 12:20

Man cave is so god damn white trash.  I can't and never will call my personal space a "man cave."  Whoever came up with that euphemism should be shot.  Whenever I hear it watching a home improvement show instead of the Spartans, it drives me bonkers.  What say you Swill proletariate? I suspect all 6 of you call your personal space a man cave. Sleep
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

V.I.P Re: Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-03-12, 12:29

Neither because the entire house is my personal space. Does your man cave fit in your wife's purse too Tanny?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-03-12, 13:03

Your personal space is a barber shop?
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-12, 13:17

I call mine "this is the place I get permission from my wife to come to and watch tv after I've done everything she tells me todo"

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2017-03-12, 14:17

tanfan! wrote:Man cave is so god damn white trash.  I can't and never will call my personal space a "man cave."  Whoever came up with that euphemism should be shot.  Whenever I hear it watching a home improvement show instead of the Spartans, it drives me bonkers.  What say you Swill proletariate? I suspect all 6 of you call your personal space a man cave. Sleep

No, not WT at all. It is 100% gay. Maybe you can now see it in a different light.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-03-12, 14:19

Mine is called the roadkill room due to the numerous dead creatures adorning the walls.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-12, 17:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Neither because the entire house is my personal space. Does your man cave fit in your wife's purse too Tanny?

Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor  502811600 Zing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-03-12, 21:14

tGreenWay wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Neither because the entire house is my personal space. Does your man cave fit in your wife's purse too Tanny?

tGreenWay wrote:

How so? The guy lives by himself.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-03-12, 21:18

tanfan! wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

tGreenWay wrote:

How so? The guy lives by himself.

OTPT is young, dumb and full of cum...He'll be his wife bitch excpecially after a kid or two like the rest of us.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2017-03-13, 16:26

You're right, you shouldn't have anything called a man cave, here you go, Tan:
http://www.countryliving.com/gardening/garden-ideas/a35458/how-to-make-your-own-she-shed/
Wink
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-13, 18:43

Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor  NXPruDN
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-03-13, 19:39

Ugh, Gentlemans parlor sounds so fucking pretentious. I guess it doesn't surprise me you call it that Tanny. Razz

I prefer man cave , because fuck you.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-13, 19:41

Dendrobates wrote:Ugh, Gentlemans parlor sounds so fucking pretentious. I guess it doesn't surprise me you call it that Tanny. Razz

Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor  502811600 Zing zing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-03-13, 19:56

Dendrobates wrote:Ugh, Gentlemans parlor sounds so fucking pretentious. I guess it doesn't surprise me you call it that Tanny. Razz

Bwaaaa. Come here and sit on my lap and give Tanny a hug
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-03-13, 20:09

tanfan! wrote:

Bwaaaa. Come here and sit on my lap and give Tanny a hug

That I will do. Although the parasite does get in the way a little bit.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-03-13, 23:29

OTPT is right, single or married, why would you let yourself get relegated to a single room in your own house? And gloating about it, at that? You don't even realize the cage that you've been placed in.

Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor  Tumblr_lnedddgC7H1qbar4bo1_400
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-13, 23:42

xsanguine wrote:OTPT is right, single or married, why would you let yourself get relegated to a single room in your own house? And gloating about it, at that? You don't even realize the cage that you've been placed in.

This is all kind of fucked up.

"Space means accepting the person with their differences. It means not moulding someone into the image that you want to see but to accept that there will be difference and not forcing a change. Space includes the element of privacy. People want time for themselves."​

You might love your job, but you still need time away from it. You might love your family but you still need time away from them. It's healthy. And if you're so fucked up as to intrude on their space and privacy and time alone, it most likely will be a fucked up relationship.

I mean this thread is fun and funny, but If 24 years of a pretty good marriage has taught me anything it's that she has her friends and does her thing and travels by herself and just with our kids sometimes and me too. And we also do all that shit together sometimes.

But to be sure, if you are that person that doesn't believe that they can be relegated to a room or, better put, should relegate yourself to a room, you need to maybe either stay single or find that person who loves getting bossed around. No problem with that attitude, it's a healthy one too, but in my ignorant amatuer psychology, it doesn't seem like it's a good attitude for cohabitation.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-14, 00:57

DWags wrote:
xsanguine wrote:OTPT is right, single or married, why would you let yourself get relegated to a single room in your own house? And gloating about it, at that? You don't even realize the cage that you've been placed in.

This is all kind of fucked up.

"Space means accepting the person with their differences. It means not moulding someone into the image that you want to see but to accept that there will be difference and not forcing a change. Space includes the element of privacy. People want time for themselves."​

You might love your job, but you still need time away from it. You might love your family but you still need time away from them. It's healthy. And if you're so fucked up as to intrude on their space and privacy and time alone, it most likely will be a fucked up relationship.

I mean this thread is fun and funny, but If 24 years of a pretty good marriage has taught me anything it's that she has her friends and does her thing and travels by herself and just with our kids sometimes and me too. And we also do all that shit together sometimes.

But to be sure, if you are that person that doesn't believe that they can be relegated to a room or, better put, should relegate yourself to a room, you need to maybe either stay single or find that person who loves getting bossed around. No problem with that attitude, it's a healthy one too, but in my ignorant amatuer psychology, it doesn't seem like it's a good attitude for cohabitation.

Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor  0dc
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-03-14, 01:01

fucking classic wags takes a "man cave" issue and applies it to every other aspect of life Rolling Eyes Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor  502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2017-03-14, 08:33

wait....dwags wife takes separate vacations!???? Pls tell me she has gone off by herself to a club med....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-14, 08:39

Nah, OTPT, just saying that it's a pretty healthy thing to have a go to space for yourself and respect a space for your spouse. Maybe I'm way out of line here.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2017-03-14, 08:42

Agree with DWags although I use the original man cave: the garage.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2017-03-14, 08:48

Neither - I prefer a tasteful workshop/model train room.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-03-14, 11:01

tanfan! wrote:Man cave is so god damn white trash.  I can't and never will call my personal space a "man cave."  Whoever came up with that euphemism should be shot.  Whenever I hear it watching a home improvement show instead of the Spartans, it drives me bonkers.  What say you Swill proletariate? I suspect all 6 of you call your personal space a man cave. Sleep

Don't you have to be either a man or a gentleman to have one or the other?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-03-14, 12:05

TheReal_LWS wrote:

In the world of the gentleman, there is usually a separate parlor within the mansion that is reserved for cigar smoking, poker playing and issues concerning finance and profits. I am building such a room over my garage. It will have a theater, wet bar with tap for craft beer keg and stripper pole for the MILFs in the neighborhood and a balcony where I can launch the feral cats into orbit with a giant slingshot.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-03-14, 15:39

I call my area "downstairs". I hope to call it the bar one day. We'll see what my lady friend thinks of that.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2017-03-14, 16:17

tanfan! wrote:
In the world of the gentleman, there is usually a separate parlor within the mansion that is reserved for cigar smoking, poker playing and issues concerning finance and profits. I am building such a room over my garage. It will have a theater, wet bar with tap for craft beer keg and stripper pole for the MILFs in the neighborhood and a balcony where I can launch the feral cats into orbit with a giant slingshot.

This sounds more like a playhouse than a parlor. Will the slide down be spiral or straight?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-14, 16:59

tanfan! wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

Are you a gentleman's gentleman? Do your real life friends call you Mr. French?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-03-14, 18:43

Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor  502811600

I guess my "man-cave" is the bar.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-03-14, 22:57

DWags wrote:Nah, OTPT, just saying that it's a pretty healthy thing to have a go to space for yourself and respect a space for your spouse. Maybe I'm way out of line here.

You're good. What you say makes sense... I was moreso referring to the guys who are told by their wife, usually during house shopping, "And this is where you can have your man-cave, honey... doesn't that sound lovely, sweetie-honey-baby-sugar-pie?" And like a slobbering dog they nod in eager approval.

But everyone's different... if you're the type of creature that likes going to a specific spot every time you want to be alone, then do you, homie.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-03-14, 23:05

I just call it the basement.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-03-14, 23:07

I didn't think people in Florida even had basements
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-03-14, 23:07

y2kMgrad wrote:I just call it the basement.

Precisely... the basement, the garage, the bar...

Wherever you go to do a little you. Just don't give it some pretentious label.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-14, 23:08

xsanguine wrote:
DWags wrote:Nah, OTPT, just saying that it's a pretty healthy thing to have a go to space for yourself and respect a space for your spouse. Maybe I'm way out of line here.

You're good. What you say makes sense... I was moreso referring to the guys who are told by their wife, usually during house shopping, "And this is where you can have your man-cave, honey... doesn't that sound lovely, sweetie-honey-baby-sugar-pie?" And like a slobbering dog they nod in eager approval.

But everyone's different... if you're the type of creature that likes going to a specific spot every time you want to be alone, then do you, homie.

Couple questions regarding your made up scenario brah: after the lady tells the guy "this is your space honey" does she then declare the rest for herself with a "stay out" type warning? You've really only given us one line of a made up speech between couples and I find your train of thought fascinating here. So thanks. Or, can I assume she's being benevolent deferring a whole section of the house to her spouse with the understanding that the rest will be shared equally? It's an interesting conversation you've thought up here and I'd love to read your conclusion.

Finally, the last line intrigues me also. If you want to be alone don't you kind of need to go to a specific spot, or do some guys say "get the fuck out everybody, it's alone time for me"?

My life is way more boring than most so I am interested.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-03-14, 23:37

DWags wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Couple questions regarding your made up scenario brah:  after the lady tells the guy "this is your space honey" does she then declare the rest for herself with a "stay out" type warning?  You've really only given us one line of a made up speech between couples and I find your train of thought fascinating here. So thanks. Or, can I assume she's being benevolent deferring a whole section of the house to her spouse with the understanding that the rest will be shared equally?  It's an interesting conversation you've thought up here and I'd love to read your conclusion.  

Finally, the last line intrigues me also. If you want to be alone don't you kind of need to go to a specific spot, or do some guys say "get the fuck out everybody, it's alone time for me"?  

My life is way more boring than most so I am interested.

The sub-text is...."here is your little room to 'decorate' like a 12 year old boy and the rest I have the definitive say in."

When I want to be alone I just go to a place no one is currently occupying. There isn't any forethought.

It wasn't meant to be that deep. Just an opinion on the concept.

Last edited by xsanguine on 2017-03-14, 23:39; edited 1 time in total
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-14, 23:37

Dwags, I think you're reading too much into this discussion. I'm not married, so maybe my perspective on this matter is deficient, but when I hear the term man-cave, there is an implicit value (at least to me) that the rest of the house is decorated according to the woman's taste/preference, and the rules/manners that go along with that decor reign. To take the position that the whole house is open to typical man-cave activities (watching sports, drinking beer, unabashed junk adjustments, etc.) or whatever else someone who is equal owner of that space deems appropriate is not the same as saying that a woman is not deserving of privacy or autonomy. So you calling x's post "all kinds of fucked up" seems to me to be a gross overreaction.

You never hear the term "woman-cave," do you? That's sort of the point. Are we on the same page yet?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-03-14, 23:40

Thank you, Cameron.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-14, 23:47

Cameron wrote:Dwags, I think you're reading too much into this discussion. I'm not married, so maybe my perspective on this matter is deficient, but when I hear the term man-cave, there is an implicit value (at least to me) that the rest of the house is decorated according to the woman's taste/preference, and the rules/manners that go along with that decor reign. To take the position that the whole house is open to typical man-cave activities (watching sports, drinking beer, unabashed junk adjustments, etc.) or whatever else someone who is equal owner of that space deems appropriate is not the same as saying that a woman is not deserving of privacy or autonomy. So you calling x's post "all kinds of fucked up" seems to me to be a gross overreaction.

You never hear the term "woman-cave," do you? That's sort of the point. Are we on the same page yet?

Oh I thought he asked "why would you LET yourself be delegated to one area of YOUR OWN house" caps mine and the implications of the sentence seemed straight forward to me. If I've misunderstood I certainly am in the wrong. His follow up post with a conversation he seems to know goes on between house shopping spouses further confused me. I've asked for clarification.

Like I've said, I'm probably out of line assuming things.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-14, 23:54

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:Dwags, I think you're reading too much into this discussion. I'm not married, so maybe my perspective on this matter is deficient, but when I hear the term man-cave, there is an implicit value (at least to me) that the rest of the house is decorated according to the woman's taste/preference, and the rules/manners that go along with that decor reign. To take the position that the whole house is open to typical man-cave activities (watching sports, drinking beer, unabashed junk adjustments, etc.) or whatever else someone who is equal owner of that space deems appropriate is not the same as saying that a woman is not deserving of privacy or autonomy. So you calling x's post "all kinds of fucked up" seems to me to be a gross overreaction.

Oh I thought he asked "why would you LET yourself be delegated to one area of YOUR OWN house" caps mine and the implications of the sentence seemed straight forward to me. If I've misunderstood I certainly am in the wrong. His follow up post with a conversation he seems to know goes on between house shopping spouses further confused me. I've asked for clarification.

Like I've said, I'm probably out of line assuming things.

He did ask that, but I think your inferences and his implications do not line up. Calling it "your own" house doesn't preclude the house from equally belonging to someone else, but I suppose I can see the basis for your inference now.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-03-14, 23:58

xsanguine wrote:Thank you, Cameron.

Man Cave vs. Gentleman's Parlor  55953254
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte