Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The political hodge podge thread

+20
CheesySpartan
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
steveschneider
AnomanderRake
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
tGreenWay
Herbie Green
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
The_Dude
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Blanch32
xsanguine
DWags
GRR Spartan
24 posters

Page 7 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by Cameron Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:

This is a bad take, Bob. Ann Coulter is an odious manbeast, but using violence or the threat of violence to prevent her from speaking is tantamount to censorship. You're smart enough to understand that, so steadfastly repeating the same nonsense is silly. Using speech to oppose her is fine. Violence is not speech.
sigh.

we've already covered this from the whiny Milo The Pedophile supporters, etc - free speech is great - encouraged even. When disruptions/violence occurs, it's a security problem and, therefore, a police/law enforcement issue.

If people choose not to speak, that is their choice. They're limit their own speech - but, of course, in a country full of whiny victims, they'll go on the mainstream media outlets to sniffle about it.

Whatever Bob. I recognize that that's your official position, but it just seems so disingenuous to me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:39

InTenSity wrote:Couldn't she hold a rally or speech or whatever somewhere else? Why does it have to be at Berkeley?

Because it's a public institution open to people of all opinions.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:39

InTenSity wrote:Couldn't she hold a rally or speech or whatever somewhere else? Why does it have to be at Berkeley?

I'm sure she has and will continue to have speeches at other venues all over the place. But you are getting dangerously close to victim blaming. You see that, right?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:41

Man, I don't even like Ann Coulter. What the fuck is going on in this country?

The political hodge podge thread - Page 7 Giphy
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:43

Cameron wrote:Man, I don't even like Ann Coulter. What the fuck is going on in this country?

The political hodge podge thread - Page 7 Giphy

Because it's not about Ann Coulter.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:54

Cameron wrote:

I'm sure she has and will continue to have speeches at other venues all over the place. But you are getting dangerously close to victim blaming. You see that, right?
She cancelled her speech at Berkeley. Not sure how that makes her a victim.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:55

InTenSity wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Ugh....
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:57

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/couple-charged-with-assault-in-shooting-melee-during-uw-speech-by-milo-yiannopoulos/

According to the charges, the day before Yiannopoulos was scheduled to talk at Kane Hall, Marc Hokoana had messaged a friend on Facebook, stating, “I can’t wait for tomorrow. I’m going to the milo event and if the snowflakes get out off hand I’m going to wade through their ranks and start cracking skulls.”

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 13:59

And sure enough, they got out of hand.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:07

People like Ann Coulter are just like the worst trolls on this board. They love it when they get banned. It gives them more attention in the long run.

I honestly don't even think she believes half of the shit she spews. It's all an act to be as outrageous as possible to garner attention, any attention. Some people make a great living at it. But when it comes to message board posting it's more sad and pathetic.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:09

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:People like Ann Coulter are just like the worst trolls on this board. They love it when they get banned. It gives them more attention in the long run.

I honestly don't even think she believes half of the shit she spews. It's all an act to be as outrageous as possible to garner attention, any attention. Some people make a great living at it. But when it comes to message board posting it's more sad and pathetic.

Free speech is great... until it's not.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:15

My kind of free speech.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:19

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

My kind of free speech.

Trump's an asshole. Won't get any argument from me on that.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:20

I think it's foolish to think that Ann coulter wanted anything other than exactly what happened, including getting the opportunity to give a speech. This is exactly what she was hoping to do. I also think it is foolish for people to have given her the attention she was looking for.

This is all I will have to say on the subject. You are welcome.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:20

So we have mind readers on the board now?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:31

xsanguine wrote:So we have mind readers on the board now?

Just like that pedophile Milo, when you think like this I really don't care what happens to you. Sorry.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:33

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:So we have mind readers on the board now?

Just like that pedophile Milo, when you think like this I really don't care what happens to you. Sorry.

That's unfortunate.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:35

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

That's unfortunate.

Sorry I don't have a PC response to make you feel better.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:37

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

That's unfortunate.

I feel just fine. You're the one who feels strongly enough to admit they're comfortable with violence against people that offend you.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:37

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/04/26/milo-responds-to-ann-coulter-cancellation-i-will-bring-an-army-to-berkeley-if-i-have-to/

Is Milo bringing NAMBLA with him?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:40

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/04/26/milo-responds-to-ann-coulter-cancellation-i-will-bring-an-army-to-berkeley-if-i-have-to/

Is Milo bringing NAMBLA with him?

I don't know. I just found out this was still going down this morning.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:43

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I feel just fine. You're the one who feels strongly enough to admit they're comfortable with violence against people that offend you.

Not really what I said at all. But if that's what you want to read into it fine, whatever. Maybe this is a better way to phrase it, "I will lose no sleep if Coulter an Milo keeps getting their speeches shut down."
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:43

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Not really what I said at all. But if that's what you want to read into it fine, whatever. Maybe this is a better way to phrase it, "I will lose no sleep if Coulter an Milo keeps getting their speeches shut down."

That's not any different.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:44

InTenSity wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I didn't say she was a victim. I said it was close to victim blaming. Victim-blaming adjacent, if you will.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:45

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I really don't care what you take from that. Carry on your crusade.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I'm just responding to you.

I get it, you're comfortable with people having their speeches shut down... which only happens when there's credible threats of, and this case assured, violence. I'm not going to change your mind on it. But I'll respond when you try to rephrase and end up saying the same thing cause I have no problem discussing it.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:49

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I'm just responding to you.

I get it, you're comfortable with people having their speeches shut down... which only happens when there's credible threats of, and this case assured, violence. I'm not going to change your mind on it. But I'll respond when you try to rephrase and end up saying the same thing cause I have no problem discussing it.

OK
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 14:54

Charlie Hebdo shooting

I don't care what happens to people that think it's cool to offend others.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:06

xsanguine wrote:Charlie Hebdo shooting

Somehow I'm guessing certain people will be unable to draw any parallels.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:08

Cameron wrote:

Slippery slope, ya know?

In news that we can all come together and enjoy... looks like tensions are rising in Berkeley...

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:09

Thread sucks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:12

u suk!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:36

'cause she knows it'll cause trouble, thereby get her name in the news.. and she can whine and complain.. and withdraw out of {gasp} fear for her life.. and go on the mainstream media circuit and pretend to be outraged that her right to free speech was censored when it was her who decided to censor it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:36

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:sigh.

we've already covered this from the whiny Milo The Pedophile supporters, etc - free speech is great - encouraged even. When disruptions/violence occurs, it's a security problem and, therefore, a police/law enforcement issue.

If people choose not to speak, that is their choice. They're limit their own speech - but, of course, in a country full of whiny victims, they'll go on the mainstream media outlets to sniffle about it.

Whatever Bob. I recognize that that's your official position, but it just seems so disingenuous to me.
just the way I see it.. doesn't mean it's the way you or anyone else should see it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:38

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

My kind of free speech.
but the right doesn't do such things. It's just those really mean people on the left who the right wing snowflakes whine about as they're on their way to church.

scratch
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:40

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I think it's foolish to think that Ann coulter wanted anything other than exactly what happened, including getting the opportunity to give a speech. This is exactly what she was hoping to do. I also think it is foolish for people to have given her the attention she was looking for.

This is all I will have to say on the subject. You are welcome.
how dare you assume such things. I'm outraged and I demand an apology from you!! The political hodge podge thread - Page 7 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:43

Cameron wrote:

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I'll respond anyway. I have given up getting too worked up over any type of extremism these days. Yes, terrorism is horrible and the most violent example you can give. But the escalation of hostilities that seems to be happening with just about any argument over ideologies these days has made me pretty apathetic to it all. Yell at me or try to make me see reason all you want, it's no skin off of my back.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 15:54

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-ann-coulter-berkeley_us_58fb7006e4b00fa7de14bc3d

“I don’t like this. I don’t like it,” Sanders told The Huffington Post after speaking at a rally for Omaha mayoral candidate Heath Mello on Thursday night. “Obviously Ann Coulter’s outrageous ― to my mind, off the wall. But you know, people have a right to give their two cents-worth, give a speech, without fear of violence and intimidation.”
“To me, it’s a sign of intellectual weakness,” he said. “If you can’t ask Ann Coulter in a polite way questions which expose the weakness of her arguments, if all you can do is boo, or shut her down, or prevent her from coming, what does that tell the world?”

“What are you afraid of ― her ideas? Ask her the hard questions,” he concluded. “Confront her intellectually. Booing people down, or intimidating people, or shutting down events, I don’t think that that works in any way.”

At least Bernie gets it. This is how I know I'm still sane.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 16:01

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I'll respond anyway. I have given up getting too worked up over any type of extremism these days. Yes, terrorism is horrible and the most violent example you can give. But the escalation of hostilities that seems to be happening with just about any argument over ideologies these days has made me pretty apathetic to it all. Yell at me or try to make me see reason all you want, it's no skin off of my back.

No one is yelling at you, Pylon.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 16:04

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I can understand the apathy and the fatigue of seeing this shit all the time. Especially when it's happening to shitty people who are easy to dislike. That's part of what makes this so frustrating, if the roles were reversed (right wingers using threats/violence to prevent liberals from speaking), I feel that it would be fairly easy to get intelligent and reasonable people to see things my way.

Hell, even if it were stand up comedians or something getting shut down because they were telling offensive jokes, it would be easier to rally people to the cause. It's a tough sell to get people to care about overtly political speech with which they disagree being stifled. It's an even tougher sell to get people to say out loud that they are taking the side that includes Milo and Ann Coulter. It's why no one would take my side on dwags's hypothetical after blanch did. Good people don't want to be associated with that sort of thing.

Last edited by Cameron on Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 16:06; edited 1 time in total
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 25  Next