Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The political hodge podge thread

+20
CheesySpartan
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
steveschneider
AnomanderRake
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
tGreenWay
Herbie Green
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
The_Dude
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Blanch32
xsanguine
DWags
GRR Spartan
24 posters

Page 8 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-04-27, 16:05

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I'll respond anyway. I have given up getting too worked up over any type of extremism these days. Yes, terrorism is horrible and the most violent example you can give. But the escalation of hostilities that seems to be happening with just about any argument over ideologies these days has made me pretty apathetic to it all. Yell at me or try to make me see reason all you want, it's no skin off of my back.

No one is yelling at you, Pylon.

I wasn't saying anyone was. I was just inviting people to do so if they wished. The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 685334576
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-04-27, 16:14

Cameron wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I'll respond anyway. I have given up getting too worked up over any type of extremism these days. Yes, terrorism is horrible and the most violent example you can give. But the escalation of hostilities that seems to be happening with just about any argument over ideologies these days has made me pretty apathetic to it all. Yell at me or try to make me see reason all you want, it's no skin off of my back.

I can understand the apathy and the fatigue of seeing this shit all the time. Especially when it's happening to shitty people who are easy to dislike. That's part of what makes this so frustrating, if the roles were reversed (right wingers using threats/violence to prevent liberals from speaking), I feel that it would be fairly easy to get intelligent and reasonable people to see things my way.

Hell, even if it were stand up comedians or something getting shut down because they were telling offensive jokes, it would be easier to rally people to the cause. It's a tough sell to get people to care about overtly political speech with which they disagree being stifled. It's an even tougher sell to get people to say out loud that they are taking the side that includes Milo and Ann Coulter. It's why no one would take my side on dwags's hypothetical after blanch did. Good people don't want to be associated with that sort of thing.

I get that my viewpoint on this might seem very anti-American. I just see a lot of things that were once considered core "American" values being flipped on it's head and the opposite to be "true", now. I'll debate a bit here, do a little mild trolling when I'm bored, but at the end of the day when I read about a lot of this stuff in the news I just don't really get too worked up about it.

I think it was Dwags that had a good post in this thread or another one about just doing the best you can for yourself and your loved ones. Those are my core values. Everything else is just white noise.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-27, 19:55

Free speech won today. Speakers got to speak, police did a fantastic job and arrested Antifa scouts and interrupted an Antifa gathering.

Huh, weird how peaceful free speech happens when the nutty leftists don't show up, eh?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-27, 20:51

Cameron wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I can understand the apathy and the fatigue of seeing this shit all the time. Especially when it's happening to shitty people who are easy to dislike. That's part of what makes this so frustrating, if the roles were reversed (right wingers using threats/violence to prevent liberals from speaking), I feel that it would be fairly easy to get intelligent and reasonable people to see things my way.

Hell, even if it were stand up comedians or something getting shut down because they were telling offensive jokes, it would be easier to rally people to the cause. It's a tough sell to get people to care about overtly political speech with which they disagree being stifled. It's an even tougher sell to get people to say out loud that they are taking the side that includes Milo and Ann Coulter. It's why no one would take my side on dwags's hypothetical after blanch did. Good people don't want to be associated with that sort of thing.

It's even better when journalists are intimidated and threatened. I hope reasonable people like yourself understand it does go both ways and threatening journalists who have first amendment rights is wading through the same shit storm.

I was afraid to do my job.

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 2eqaxds
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-27, 21:11

It doesn't go both ways. You're desperate for an equivalency that doesn't exist.

A journalist being a pussy because a discussion gets heated is far different than being surrounded and assaulted with explosives, bottles, and bike locks.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-27, 21:15

Since the beginning of his campaign, Donald Trump has repeatedly called the media "scum" and the "absolute worst" during his speeches, taking visible glee in turning the press into his personal punching bag. On Monday, however, the verbal attacks escalated into an actual physical altercation: A Secret Service agent grabbed a journalist by the throat and slammed him to the ground after the man tried to photograph protesters getting kicked out of a Trump rally in Virginia.

The incident was shocking for many people — but it wasn't a surprise if you've attended enough of his campaign rallies as a member of the press. After going to Trump events on the campaign trail in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, I've learned to accept that uncomfortable encounters with Trump's security and campaign staff are a routine hazard of the job. Trump is the only presidential candidate whose rallies feature a specific area in the back where journalists are corralled and not permitted to leave. Other candidates have areas designated for the media, but reporters are free to mingle in the crowd to interview people. Leaving the press pen at a Trump rally comes with its own risk, as today's altercation demonstrated.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-27, 21:18

Secret service, huh...

Any relation to the government?

That's a weird name for a right-wing citizen's group.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-27, 21:27

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 2zje6pv
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-27, 21:27

Might need to resize that pic.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-27, 21:33

Closer.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-04-28, 02:26

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:

It's even better when journalists are intimidated and threatened.  I hope reasonable people like yourself understand it does go both ways and threatening journalists who have first amendment rights is wading through the same shit storm.

Trump's attitude towards the press is terrible. He's a piece of shit.

DWags wrote:Since the beginning of his campaign, Donald Trump has repeatedly called the media "scum" and the "absolute worst" during his speeches, taking visible glee in turning the press into his personal punching bag. On Monday, however, the verbal attacks escalated into an actual physical altercation: A Secret Service agent grabbed a journalist by the throat and slammed him to the ground after the man tried to photograph protesters getting kicked out of a Trump rally in Virginia.

The incident was shocking for many people — but it wasn't a surprise if you've attended enough of his campaign rallies as a member of the press. After going to Trump events on the campaign trail in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, I've learned to accept that uncomfortable encounters with Trump's security and campaign staff are a routine hazard of the job. Trump is the only presidential candidate whose rallies feature a specific area in the back where journalists are corralled and not permitted to leave. Other candidates have areas designated for the media, but reporters are free to mingle in the crowd to interview people. Leaving the press pen at a Trump rally comes with its own risk, as today's altercation demonstrated.

Link?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-28, 03:46

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

It's even better when journalists are intimidated and threatened.  I hope reasonable people like yourself understand it does go both ways and threatening journalists who have first amendment rights is wading through the same shit storm.

DWags wrote:Since the beginning of his campaign, Donald Trump has repeatedly called the media "scum" and the "absolute worst" during his speeches, taking visible glee in turning the press into his personal punching bag. On Monday, however, the verbal attacks escalated into an actual physical altercation: A Secret Service agent grabbed a journalist by the throat and slammed him to the ground after the man tried to photograph protesters getting kicked out of a Trump rally in Virginia.

Link?

Link? Just google "media assaulted at Trump rally" and start reading. Trump black listed some from covering his rallies.

You don't actually think there were only one or two of these incidents do you? Trump encouraged the intimidation. Put the media in "pens" often said "just look at them" during his rallies and the crowd yelled "CNN sucks" as many times as Flynn asked crowds to lock Hilliary up.

This cracks me up that on this board there are people that believe first amendment attacks are only from one side. Wow. Or they'll justify one sides action somehow.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-28, 12:06

~There ain't no equivalency like a false equivalency cause a false equivalency don't stop...~

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 Capture

11th annual Parade Of Roses cancelled in Portland amid threats to organizers and participants by leftist organization.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-28, 12:06

"They're the same, maaaaaaaan...!!!"

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-28, 12:44

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Link?

Link? Just google "media assaulted at Trump rally" and start reading. Trump black listed some from covering his rallies.

You don't actually think there were only one or two of these incidents do you? Trump encouraged the intimidation. Put the media in "pens" often said "just look at them" during his rallies and the crowd yelled "CNN sucks" as many times as Flynn asked crowds to lock Hilliary up.

This cracks me up that on this board there are people that believe first amendment attacks are only from one side. Wow. Or they'll justify one sides action somehow.

Bump. For the record, in Portland they canceled a parade because of threats. At Trump rallies journalists were threatened with death. They wore it on shirts. Two sides of the same coin. First amendment being assaulted by both ends.

Country hates each other. Fuck.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-04-28, 12:50

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Link?

I'm not disputing the premise that Trump and his supporters intimidate journalists and regard freedom of the press as little more than a nuisance. But it's clear to me that you copied and pasted those two paragraphs from somewhere, and I wanted to read the whole article.

Try not to forget everything you know about me. Just because I side against antifa doesn't mean I'm suddenly on team Trump. Slow your roll, dwags.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-28, 12:53

I still think it's tragic that Ann Coulter was denied her right to free speech.. especially after she chose to deny it to herself.

poor little snowflake. The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 1494614055
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-28, 13:09

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

I'm not disputing the premise that Trump and his supporters intimidate journalists and regard freedom of the press as little more than a nuisance. But it's clear to me that you copied and pasted those two paragraphs from somewhere, and I wanted to read the whole article.

Try not to forget everything you know about me. Just because I side against antifa doesn't mean I'm suddenly on team Trump. Slow your roll, dwags.

I hope you know I don't care which side you fall on or I hope you don't think I was trying to be flip about your link request. There was/is so many examples of violence and intimidation on both sides I just wanted to make a point that it's not hard to find examples. That's all. I believe most "reasonable" people abhor violence and are disgusted by both sides.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-28, 13:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I still think it's tragic that Ann Coulter was denied her right to free speech.. especially after she chose to deny it to herself.

poor little snowflake. The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 1494614055

My theory about her is she really doesn't believe half the shit she writes. She's found a niche and is exploiting idiots willing to buy her books. It's like wwe to her
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-28, 15:14

Cameron wrote: Just because I side against antifa doesn't mean I'm suddenly on team Trump. Slow your roll, dwags.

It's analogous to Trump voters always saying "But Obama! Obama!".

If that's what he meant by two sides of the same coin, then he'd be correct. But it's simply incomprehensible in his world and people like him to be against crazy leftists and also having written Trump off the moment he announced his candidacy... and still be able to objectively observe a huge difference between how the two sides have operated thus far.

No one has shown up at Angela Davis speeches, for example. Nobody should be punching anyone, but there's a big difference between getting assaulted when you show up at an opposing political rally with the intent to disrupt it.... and having someone show up at your event (ironically named the Free Speech Rally) to pepper those in attendance with explosives and bottles. The type of people that can't comprehend the difference are the same type of people who've been very late to condemn Antifa actions while still participating in the discussion in a bid to say "everyone does it", when they don't.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-28, 19:16

Antifa released a video today, guise, they're very serious. We should probably just give them their way and stop saying things they don't like...

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-02, 09:44

Fight the power baby!!!

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 C-ylJ1OXgAEyX67
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-02, 09:55

More from Proud Liberals:

Colbert: Trump’s Mouth Is Only Good for Being Putin’s ‘C**k Holster’

CBS late-night host Stephen Colbert unleashed a torrent of vulgar insults at President Trump on Monday, including saying Trump's mouth was only good for "being Vladimir Putin's cock holster."

Yep, those liberals know how to have a rational discussion.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-02, 10:06

LooseGoose wrote:More from Proud Liberals:

CBS late-night host Stephen Colbert unleashed a torrent of vulgar insults at President Trump on Monday, including saying Trump's mouth was only good for "being Vladimir Putin's cock holster."

Between that and grabbing a little pussy, we're looking great as a country.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-02, 10:15

I'm so offended by that.

in fact, I am so offended and outraged that I choose to support a man who brags about sexually assaulting women.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-02, 10:16

DWags wrote:

Between that and grabbing a little pussy, we're looking great as a country.
isn't it funny when the right wing snowflakes hold a comedian to a higher moral standard than the hold their president?

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-02, 10:44

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 502811600 Don't be a bitch, comedians tell jokes and those were funny.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-02, 12:05

Cam, did you happen to check out Sam Harris' podcast with Charles Murray?

Dude's playing with fire....(even moreso than calling out Islam for being... Islam)
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-02, 12:11

xsanguine wrote:Cam, did you happen to check out Sam Harris' podcast with Charles Murray?

Dude's playing with fire....(even moreso than calling out Islam for being... Islam)

I haven't. I just pulled it up on youtube, might check it out later. I tend more towards short clips than full podcasts these days, but sometimes my attention span holds out.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-02, 12:32

Cameron wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Cam, did you happen to check out Sam Harris' podcast with Charles Murray?

I haven't. I just pulled it up on youtube, might check it out later. I tend more towards short clips than full podcasts these days, but sometimes my attention span holds out.

I'm sure he'll be on an apology tour at some point in the near future.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-02, 13:18

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/02/trump-defends-1-trillion-budget-bill-in-face-conservative-fury.html

The leader we deserve. The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 502811600
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-02, 13:43

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/02/trump-defends-1-trillion-budget-bill-in-face-conservative-fury.html

The leader we deserve. The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 502811600
did the sexual predator mention that he won the election in a historic landslide? The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-02, 20:58

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 C-2o_JZZXg_AEz7_Hf_1
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-02, 21:25

Don't know I agree with their methodology but it's the hodgepodge thread
Most racist areas of America
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-02, 23:01

DWags wrote:Don't know I agree with their methodology but it's the hodgepodge thread

What, "If they disagree with me" isn't good enough?

Christopher Ingraham wrote:This is important, because racism is a notoriously tricky thing to measure. Traditional survey methods don't really work -- if you flat-out ask someone if they're racist, they will simply tell you no. That's partly because most racism in society today operates at the subconscious level, or gets vented anonymously online.

The political hodge podge thread - Page 8 Tumblr_m67irhgsVs1qhhxd4o3_250
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-05, 14:39

In today's edition of "This is the most ridiculous administration of all time"...

White House press pass for Alex Jones.

This may end up being bullshit, just like everything Alex Jones has ever said. Stay tuned.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-05, 14:44

xsanguine wrote:
DWags wrote:Don't know I agree with their methodology but it's the hodgepodge thread

Christopher Ingraham wrote:This is important, because racism is a notoriously tricky thing to measure. Traditional survey methods don't really work -- if you flat-out ask someone if they're racist, they will simply tell you no. That's partly because most racism in society today operates at the subconscious level, or gets vented anonymously online.

I wouldn't say most, but some does. More cowards keep it on the DL until they're in their safe spaces on reddit or 4chan. Or... you know... church.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-05, 14:52

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I wouldn't say most, but some does. More cowards keep it on the DL until they're in their safe spaces on reddit or 4chan. Or... you know... church.

What is more dangerous, violent crime or subconscious racism?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-05, 14:55

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Racism, conscious or not, has led to or tacitly approved of more violent crime in the U.S. than likely any other single issue.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-05, 15:10

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Racism, conscious or not, has led to or tacitly approved of more violent crime in the U.S. than likely any other single issue.

How are you determining this?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 25  Next