Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Earth Day!!

+4
DWags
The Pantry
InTenSity
Nordic
8 posters

Go down

Happy Earth Day!! Empty Happy Earth Day!!

Post by Nordic 2017-04-22, 19:25

Happy Earth Day!! 1362440668

Happy Earth Day!! 20170415

Happy Earth Day!! 20170416
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Happy Earth Day!! Empty Re: Happy Earth Day!!

Post by InTenSity 2017-04-22, 20:19

My daughter wants to know why none of the trees have leaves.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-04-22, 20:43

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-04-22, 23:31

The Pantry wrote:

That is a tight drop #brofist

Edit: Guessing that skidsteer cost more than either building. Still an Aaron Rodgers thread.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-23, 07:08

Time to revisit some predictions:

4. “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich confidently declared in the April 1970 issue of Mademoiselle. “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”

7. “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” declared Denis Hayes, the chief organizer for Earth Day, in the Spring 1970 issue of The Living Wilderness.

9. In January 1970, Life reported, “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”

13. Paul Ehrlich warned in the May 1970 issue of Audubon that DDT and other chlorinated hydrocarbons “may have substantially reduced the life expectancy of people born since 1945.” Ehrlich warned that Americans born since 1946…now had a life expectancy of only 49 years, and he predicted that if current patterns continued this expectancy would reach 42 years by 1980, when it might level out. (Note: According to the most recent CDC report, life expectancy in the US is 78.8 years).

18. Kenneth Watt warned about a pending Ice Age in a speech. “The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years,” he declared. “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”

18 spectacularly wrong predictions made around the time of first Earth Day in 1970, expect more this year
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-23, 08:00

About 20,000 people die of hunger or hunger related issues per day.

"'Massive Starvation?" Maybe.

World poverty

TBin?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-23, 08:20

DWags wrote:#7

"'Massive Starvation?"  Maybe.

World poverty

TBin?

Of course that depends on how you define "hunger related issues".   Your link says there is plenty of food, the problem is usually that food not getting to the people.   Most times because of corrupt governments.

Yet there is plenty of food in the world for everyone.

So that's not a direct refutation of the "mass starvation" prediction being wrong.   Most rational people would consider a mass starvation event to be triggered by a shortage of food.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-04-23, 08:25

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:#7

"'Massive Starvation?"  Maybe.

World poverty

TBin?

Of course that depends on how you define "hunger related issues".   Your link says there is plenty of food, the problem is usually that food not getting to the people.   Most times because of corrupt governments.

Yet there is plenty of food in the world for everyone.

So that's not a direct refutation of the "mass starvation" prediction being wrong.   Most rational people would consider a mass starvation event to be triggered by a shortage of food.

Psychology of man is science. Perhaps they didn't consider that in 1970, but if they factored in man bing greedy and not giving a damn they were spot on.

Corrupt governments also pay to have fields of food plowed under. And save your breath, I understand capitalism. But as you say, we have food but can't get it to those that need it. Perhaps that's a larger crime.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 09:01

https://apnews.com/article/biden-earth-day-solar-grants-epa-climate-5bece7e419e9141241287575abb0fefc

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is marking Earth Day by announcing $7 billion in federal grants for residential solar projects serving 900,000-plus households in low- and middle-income communities. He also plans to expand his New Deal-style American Climate Corps green jobs training program.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-22, 09:16

Trapper Gus wrote:https://apnews.com/article/biden-earth-day-solar-grants-epa-climate-5bece7e419e9141241287575abb0fefc

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is marking Earth Day by announcing $7 billion in federal grants for residential solar projects serving 900,000-plus households in low- and middle-income communities. He also plans to expand his New Deal-style American Climate Corps green jobs training program.

We have no universal health care system in this country.

Homelessness is at an all time high.

People are struggling with the cost of living.

But we're giving landlords $7 BILLION to install solar panels in the slums?

WTF are we doing?!? How is THIS a priority?

Sure, the long term effects of climate change are damaging, but is anyone going to live long enough to see it given the current living conditions?
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 09:20

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:https://apnews.com/article/biden-earth-day-solar-grants-epa-climate-5bece7e419e9141241287575abb0fefc

WTF are we doing?!?  How is THIS a priority?

Sure, the long term effects of climate change are damaging, but is anyone going to live long enough to see it given the current living conditions?

I agree we should be doing both, which we would be doing if you and your ilk would start voting 100% all the time for democratic candidates, (the parts of the Biden agenda which didn't get passed because no Republican Senator would vote for it would have addressed the issues you brought up) and think you pooh-poohing of the long-term effects of climate change are flat out wrong.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2024-04-22, 09:28; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-22, 09:28

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

TravelinMan wrote:

I agree we should be doing both, which we would be doing if you and your ilk would start voting 100% all the time for democratic candidates, (the parts of the Biden agenda which didn't get passed because no Republican Senator would vote for it would have addressed the issues you brought up) and think you pooh-poohing of the long-term effects of climate change are flat out wrong.

Unfortunately I did vote for Democratic candidates last time and I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse.

But by all means, print even MORE money to implement all of your wish lists. I'm sure inflation will be fine. Soft landing, blah blah blah. But a trip to Meijer is still unaffordable for the middle class.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 09:33

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Unfortunately I did vote for Democratic candidates last time and I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse.  

But by all means, print even MORE money to implement all of your wish lists.  I'm sure inflation will be fine.  Soft landing, blah blah blah.  But a trip to Meijer is still unaffordable for the middle class.

Part of what Biden tried to do in his first term was to raise taxes on those with incomes over $400k/year; increase the corporate income taxes; & increase income taxes on the higest incomes to 25% minimum, all in the effort to reduce deficts.

Of course, we have to make up for the foolish tax cuts on high incomes made under Johnson (Kenndy's idea), Reagan (which ballooned US debt), GW Bush (whose tax cuts cause the balance to swing from surplus to deficit) & Trump (who cut taxes during one of the longest economic expansions in the US, totally wrong thing to do).  But you didn't vote for any of those, so you say.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-22, 09:39

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

But by all means, print even MORE money to implement all of your wish lists. I'm sure inflation will be fine. Soft landing, blah blah blah. But a trip to Meijer is still unaffordable for the middle class.

Part of what Biden tried to do in his first term was to raise taxes on those with incomes over $400k/year; increase the corporate income taxes; & increase income taxes on the higest incomes to 25% minimum, all in the effort to reduce deficts.

Of course, we have to make up for the foolish tax cuts on high incomes made under Johnson (Kenndy's idea), Reagan, GW Bush & Trump. But you didn't vote for any of those, so you say.

I think I voted for GW Bush. Johnson was way before my time. Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

Tax cuts and/or hiking taxes are putting duct tape over the hole in the boat. We need a complete overhaul of the tax system to eliminate the thousands and thousands of pages of loopholes embedded within. 25% income tax on the wealthy won't get you squat because the wealthy don't have "income." They're not punching a clock and getting a W2 at the end of the year. But it's a good sound bite to get the Poors all riled up about how unfair the system is and how mean the wealthy are. Blue or Red, the strategy is the same: Divide and Conquer.

And don't give me this crap about caring about deficits. If anyone was serious about deficits they'd stop spending so much on stupid ass shit.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-22, 09:43

TravelinMan wrote:

republican/libertarians advocating for universal healthcare, fighting homelessness, poverty.

now you're talking, dude. At this rate, you'll come around on guns, school/mass shootings eventually.

Congrats. Happy Earth Day!! 969504605

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-04-22, 09:44

You can't simplify the tax code.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-22, 09:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

republican/libertarians advocating for universal healthcare, fighting homelessness, poverty.

now you're talking, dude. At this rate, you'll come around on guns, school/mass shootings eventually.

Congrats. Happy Earth Day!! 969504605

I told you that you had mischaracterized me, but no one wanted to think outside of the box.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-22, 09:51

AvgMSUJoe wrote:You can't simplify the tax code.

It would take a tremendous bipartisan effort, but of course you could. Trash the current system and start over.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 09:56

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Of course, we have to make up for the foolish tax cuts on high incomes made under Johnson (Kenndy's idea), Reagan, GW Bush & Trump.  But you didn't vote for any of those, so you say.

I think I voted for GW Bush.  Johnson was way before my time.  Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

Tax cuts and/or hiking taxes are putting duct tape over the hole in the boat.  We need a complete overhaul of the tax system to eliminate the thousands and thousands of pages of loopholes embedded within.  25% income tax on the wealthy won't get you squat because the wealthy don't have "income."  They're not punching a clock and getting a W2 at the end of the year.  But it's a good sound bite to get the Poors all riled up about how unfair the system is and how mean the wealthy are.  Blue or Red, the strategy is the same:  Divide and Conquer.  

And don't give me this crap about caring about deficits.  If anyone was serious about deficits they'd stop spending so much on stupid ass shit.

McGovern was the first guy I was able to vote for, Carter twice (part of the economic problem), Mondale, Dukakis(sp), GHW Bush (back when I though both parties were sane), W Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Obama (twice), H Clinton, & Biden.  Happy Earth Day!! 969504605

Just some economic perspective on the Bush & Trump tax cuts:

https://www.americanprogress.org/article/tax-cuts-are-primarily-responsible-for-the-increasing-debt-ratio/

A comment on the economic costs of not managing pollution and global warming everywhere - they are very high in health costs & shortened lives, which increases our deficits.

https://michiganadvance.com/briefs/detroit-earth-day-events-highlight-faith-communities-going-green/

I agree that all economic gain should be counted as "income", something like things that Democratics like Senator Warren support, including the tax dodge of borrowing money and using wealth as collateral.  Just funding the IRS enough that they have the staff to audit the returns from the wealthy is bringing in more than the additional government spending.

Furthermore, Bidenomics has clearly shown that if the government transfers some wealthy to the bottom 80%, even if it is borrowed money, that it causes significant improvement in their lives, and more importantly, causes the GDP to increase more than the wealth provided.  The inflation which occurred wouldn't have happened at such a level if there were laws in place taxing at higher rates the price gouging that caused the inflation, which also would address your (IMO faux) concern about deficits, so there we are, taxes on the overall income production are too low and where they are too low is at the top incomes.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2024-04-22, 10:15; edited 2 times in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-22, 10:01

TravelinMan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: republican/libertarians advocating for universal healthcare, fighting homelessness, poverty.

Congrats.  Happy Earth Day!! 969504605

I told you that you had mischaracterized me, but no one wanted to think outside of the box.
kinda like the people who think of me as a 'hippie'..... Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

I'm as far from a 'hippie' as one could be, but I have too much running, cycling to do and naps to take to argue with people online.

am glad to hear, though, that you're opposed to mass shootings, understand the dangers of guns, and advocate on behalf of the homeless and universal healthcare.

keep voting for the good guys. Happy Earth Day!! 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 10:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

kinda like the people who think of me as a 'hippie'......Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

I'm as far from a 'hippie' as one could be, but I have too much running, cycling to do and naps to take to argue with people online.

am glad to hear, though, that you're opposed to mass shootings, understand the dangers of guns, and advocate on behalf of the homeless and universal healthcare.

Enjoy your day in the cleanish and disturbed climate of East Lansing today, Bob. Happy Earth Day!! 969504605
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-22, 10:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

kinda like the people who think of me as a 'hippie'......Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

It's not enough that we agree on 80-90% of topics. It never is with you people. You have to call people names and make false claims about them.

I'll stop there, because Lord knows arguing with tBob is a permaban around this place. Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

Enjoy your day - whatever it is that you "do."
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 10:17

TravelinMan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

It's not enough that we agree on 80-90% of topics.  It never is with you people.  You have to call people names and make false claims about them.

I'll stop there, because Lord knows arguing with tBob is a permaban around this place.  Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

Maybe Bob is what you say, to paint that as "you people" is to do what he does.

Getting "dirty" with a poster who has his own forum is the top in web insanity, sort of like attacking Elon on twitter.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-22, 10:40

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

It's not enough that we agree on 80-90% of topics.  It never is with you people.  You have to call people names and make false claims about them.

I'll stop there, because Lord knows arguing with tBob is a permaban around this place.  Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

Getting "dirty" with a poster who has his own forum is the top in web insanity, sort of like attacking Elon on twitter.

Oh, was I not clear on that? By "you people" I mean the leftist circle jerk echo chamber that this forum can be at times.

Hope that helps clarify things.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 10:47

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Oh, was I not clear on that? By "you people" I mean the leftist circle jerk echo chamber that this forum can be at times.

Well thanks for that, however, other than my well-publicized support of Democratics & Joe Biden, and I do keep saying I am all in with them, many of the posters on here are pretty sane about things and at one point, when the board first started, would even discuss things rationally.

(I blame the degradation of discussion on the board on society in general, where people have become less tolerate of other people's POV.)

Bob is, of course "Bob' when it comes to religion and/or people voting for Trump, but most of the rest can be rational.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-22, 10:52

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Well thanks for that, however, other than my well-publicized support of Democratics & Joe Biden, and I do keep saying I am all in with them, many of the posters on here are pretty sane about things and at one point, when the board first started, would even discuss things rationally.

(I blame the degradation of discussion on the board on society in general, where people have become less tolerate of other people's POV.)

Bob is, of course "Bob' when it comes to religion and/or people voting for Trump, but most of the rest can be rational.

Well, again, congrats to Biden on his landmark $7 billion to slumlords for solar panels. He truly is crushing it.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 10:57

"It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races."  - Mark Twain  cheers
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-22, 10:59

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I don't consider myself a 'leftist'.. not even sure what that means. But, you did say this a few posts ago:

you wrote:I told you that you had mischaracterized me, but no one wanted to think outside of the box.

so mischaracterize away, dude. Happy Earth Day!! 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-22, 11:01

Trapper Gus wrote:"It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races."  - Mark Twain  cheers
exactly.

I'd actually feel kinda bad for the people that think like me. Happy Earth Day!! 502811600

I just want people to value human life, freedom, cherish their family, friends and neighbors, and take care of themselves physically, emotionally and spiritually.

oh and, most important, listen to music that doesn't suck.

if that's a "leftist circle jerk", then sign me up.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-22, 11:16

leftist circle jerk

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down