Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you collect?

+6
Cameron
The Pantry
Robert J Sakimano
SawGreen
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you collect? Empty What do you collect?

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-23, 19:32

I'm thinking about starting a collection a old, porcelain signs. Maybe not so much the gas and oil that's so popular, but maybe the more offbeat and less ubiquitous type of stuff. I realize this is damn near cliche for an old guy to collect signs, but over the past few months I've been looking for things to hang in my garage and workshop, and my old poster collection won't do the job in a garage where bugs and spiders make a mess of things.

So, what ya got going for yourself?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

What do you collect? Empty Re: What do you collect?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-04-23, 19:45

Physical ailments?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-23, 20:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Physical ailments?

I guess that counts, and besides, with the price of healthcare and insurance, it's one of the more expensive hobbies, I guess.
And you might just pay... with your life!

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-04-23, 20:48

I don't really collect anything though. I suppose I have some sports memorbilia on display in my basement. I suppose I collect a fair amount of Nike gear to wear (MSU and otherwise), mostly because I want to support the working child's economy in SE Asia. But I don't actively collect anything.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-23, 20:48

tGreenWay wrote:I'm thinking about starting a collection a old, porcelain signs. Maybe not so much the gas and oil that's so popular, but maybe the more offbeat and less ubiquitous type of stuff. I realize this is damn near cliche for an old guy to collect signs, but over the past few months I've been looking for things to hang in my garage and workshop, and my old poster collection won't do the job in a garage where bugs and spiders make a mess of things.

They go much higher than they did years ago but you can still find a deal now and then. I fart around watching local online auctions for stuff to buy and resell on craigs and the occasional sign goes through them. I don't make a ton of $ but it's fun to do and you make the occasional killing. My best ever was a commercial conduit bender that I paid around $50 for and sold for nearly $4,000 on Ebay. But that's once every 3-4 year kind of stuff.

Normally it's $50 here and $100 there but you meet a lot of interesting people along the way. I know people that collect bicycles, motorcycles, old riding lawn mowers, snow mobiles, signs and various other objects d'art.

Here's a cast iron sign that's in a auction I'm watching now - it would make a great start for your collection even though it's not porcelain.

What do you collect? 6620

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-23, 21:06

Maybe 2 years ago, I went through a brief phase of collecting autographed photos of generally obscure "stars". I started with Mammy Yokum/Witchie Poo/Billie Hayes after watching a Lil' Abner movie. I collected about 10 or 12 autographed photos from Mary Anne to Lieutenant Uhura and many in-between. Cost me a few hundred bucks in total, but much went to animal charities. The older and more obscure the better.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-23, 21:10

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I'm thinking about starting a collection a old, porcelain signs. Maybe not so much the gas and oil that's so popular, but maybe the more offbeat and less ubiquitous type of stuff. I realize this is damn near cliche for an old guy to collect signs, but over the past few months I've been looking for things to hang in my garage and workshop, and my old poster collection won't do the job in a garage where bugs and spiders make a mess of things.

They go much higher than they did years ago but you can still find a deal now and then. I fart around watching local online auctions for stuff to buy and resell on craigs and the occasional sign goes through them. I don't make a ton of $ but it's fun to do and you make the occasional killing. My best ever was a commercial conduit bender that I paid around $50 for and sold for nearly $4,000 on Ebay. But that's once every 3-4 year kind of stuff.

Normally it's $50 here and $100 there but you meet a lot of interesting people along the way. I know people that collect bicycles, motorcycles, old riding lawn mowers, snow mobiles, signs and various other objects d'art.

Here's a cast iron sign that's in a auction I'm watching now - it would make a great start for your collection even though it's not porcelain.

What do you collect? 502811600 That sign is great. If you ever buy something you think I might be interested in, let me know. I could probably load up my collection right now, but I don't feel like paying $100-$150 on every sign I think is cool. I was going to buy a warning sign about dynamite today but didn't feel like dropping $80 for it. I probably should have, because they normally go for more than that. I probably didn't try hard because I don't like shopping, even auctions online, and I have to be in a mood for it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-23, 21:12

SawGreen wrote:Maybe 2 years ago, I went through a brief phase of collecting autographed photos of generally obscure "stars". I started with Mammy Yokum/Witchie Poo/Billie Hayes after watching a Lil' Abner movie. I collected about 10 or 12 autographed photos from Mary Anne to Lieutenant Uhura and many in-between. Cost me a few hundred bucks in total, but much went to animal charities. The older and more obscure the better.

That's cool, though, and if the people themselves are involved, then you know they aren't forged.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-23, 21:18

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

What do you collect? 502811600 That sign is great. If you ever buy something you think I might be interested in, let me know. I could probably load up my collection right now, but I don't feel like paying $100-$150 on every sign I think is cool. I was going to buy a warning sign about dynamite today but didn't feel like dropping $80 for it. I probably should have, because they normally go for more than that. I probably didn't try hard because I don't like shopping, even auctions online, and I have to be in a mood for it.

I marked that sign to my watch list because I laughed at the truth of it. Cast iron or enamel items sell pretty well. There's a big group of cast iron collectors out there. Pans, baking, items and other trinkets like that sign, boot pullers, coin banks, etc.

We'll see if I suck at prognosticating auctions.....I'd guess that sign sells around $22. Auction ends Tuesday night around 7pm.

I enjoy making the pocket $$ - gives me something to do and I buy my goof around stuff with it. ATVs, etc.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-23, 21:30

tGreenWay wrote:
That's cool, though, and if the people themselves are involved, then you know they aren't forged.

I hope so. Most ones that appear genuine, let you request a phrase or message with the signature. Tried in vain for Claudia Cardinale (To Live and Die in the West), but scored with the following:

Pam Ferdin: One time voice of Lucy in Peanuts and child actress you will recognize.
Bernadette Peters: Least obscure of the bunch, but a personal favorite.
Sybil Danning: B-List horror actress and one of the best Playboy spreads ever.
Nichelle Nichols: Uhura
Julie Newmar: Stupifyin' Jones from Lil' Abner (and "the" Cat Woman from Batman).
Dawn Wells: Mary Anne
Julie Adams: Creature from the Black Lagoon

... and my personal favorite...

Mary Badham: Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-23, 21:31

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I marked that sign to my watch list because I laughed at the truth of it. Cast iron or enamel items sell pretty well. There's a big group of cast iron collectors out there. Pans, baking, items and other trinkets like that sign, boot pullers, coin banks, etc.

We'll see if I suck at prognosticating auctions.....I'd guess that sign sells around $22. Auction ends Tuesday night around 7pm.

I enjoy making the pocket $$ - gives me something to do and I buy my goof around stuff with it. ATVs, etc.

I appreciate the tip on local online auctions. Hadn't thought about that. I know Craigslist is a crapshoot most of the time. As for making pocket $$, I expect that's going to be my summer project. I just have to get motivated to bring up all those Rubbermaid containers, and when they're empty, sell those, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-23, 21:34

SawGreen wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I hope so. Most ones that appear genuine, let you request a phrase or message with the signature. Tried in vain for Claudia Cardinale (To Live and Die in the West), but scored with the following:

Pam Ferdin: One time voice of Lucy in Peanuts and child actress you will recognize.
Julie Newmar: Stupifyin' Jones from Lil' Abner (and "the" Cat Woman from Batman).

I knew I recognized Claudia from something else....she was also in the original Pink Panther movie and a western that my sons were fixated on while growing up "The Professionals".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-23, 21:39

SawGreen wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Someday, I want to get Morgan Fairchild's sig. Her website makes them readily available. I don't collect autographs, but I want hers because she was one of the first tv stars who I remember making my Toughskins™ get tight. She's actually pretty cool, too. I've had 3-4 short conversations on Twitter with her.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-23, 21:41

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I appreciate the tip on local online auctions. Hadn't thought about that. I know Craigslist is a crapshoot most of the time. As for making pocket $$, I expect that's going to be my summer project. I just have to get motivated to bring up all those Rubbermaid containers, and when they're empty, sell those, too.

I'll give the other thing that shocks me now and then - certain patterns of pyrex bowls. I've seen what is
otherwise good garage sale fodder go for $70+ for a mixing bowl.

From one of the sales I regularly buy from, the last 2 weeks of sign. This doesn't include the multiple repros that sell every week nor does it include bar beer signs. Usually 4-6 of those a week. There are probably 20-30 of these around the state. Much like very small, localized versions of what Ebay was circa 1998.

Up for sale now:
What do you collect? 1331

What do you collect? 4161

What do you collect? 20218

Last week:
Sold for $80
What do you collect? 7557

Sold for $33
What do you collect? 20026

Sold for $9
What do you collect? 19108
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-23, 22:41

tGreenWay wrote:Someday, I want to get Morgan Fairchild's sig. Her website makes them readily available. I don't collect autographs, but I want hers because she was one of the first tv stars who I remember making my Toughskins™ get tight. She's actually pretty cool, too. I've had 3-4 short conversations on Twitter with her.

She ain't getting any younger... you still have a shot !!
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 13:22

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'll give the other thing that shocks me now and then - certain patterns of pyrex bowls. I've seen what is
otherwise good garage sale fodder go for $70+ for a mixing bowl.

From one of the sales I regularly buy from, the last 2 weeks of sign. This doesn't include the multiple repros that sell every week nor does it include bar beer signs. Usually 4-6 of those a week. There are probably 20-30 of these around the state. Much like very small, localized versions of what Ebay was circa 1998.

Up for sale now:
What do you collect? 1331

What do you collect? 4161

What do you collect? 20218

Last week:
Sold for $80
What do you collect? 7557

Sold for $33
What do you collect? 20026

Sold for $9
What do you collect? 19108

I've noticed that farm signs (seed or feed) are popular on eBay. The idea that Pyrex bowls could go that high cracks me up. I actually think my mom sold a bunch of hers at a garage sale for $.50 or maybe less, though, to be fair, that was years ago.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 13:25

SawGreen wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Someday, I want to get Morgan Fairchild's sig. Her website makes them readily available. I don't collect autographs, but I want hers because she was one of the first tv stars who I remember making my Toughskins™️ get tight. She's actually pretty cool, too. I've had 3-4 short conversations on Twitter with her.

She ain't getting any younger... you still have a shot !!

But those big fake boobs are timeless. What do you collect? 3434560931
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-24, 13:39

I'm not calling myself a "collector" by any means, as some true, genuine collectors have thousands of records, but I do have a pretty impressive vinyl collection... I suspect I have around 500 or so.

I love the dollar bins at record stores more for the folk art value of the album covers..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-24, 13:40

you and I should buy a van and drive around collecting stuff.. we could be the Mike and Frank of our neighborhood.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 13:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

you and I should buy a van and drive around collecting stuff.. we could be the Mike and Frank of our neighborhood.

Have you seen that maroon-colored, plain-sided, windowless Ford panel van that's always parked in front of Jonna's? That could work perfectly. Plus, we could write something on the side to interest the ladies, something like Free kisses from Ryan Gosling inside
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-24, 13:50

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:you and I should buy a van and drive around collecting stuff.. we could be the Mike and Frank of our neighborhood.

Have you seen that maroon-colored, plain-sided, windowless Ford panel van that's always parked in front of Jonna's? That could work perfectly. Plus, we could write something on the side to interest the ladies, something like Free kisses from Ryan Gosling inside
this one?

What do you collect? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdAy8MJ4zb6vsQSbnUy-Ccb-e9zJPxPNq2DPOPlZCFm9U7352L

the school district called and suggested that we stay at least 500 feet away from their buildings...
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 13:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not calling myself a "collector" by any means, as some true, genuine collectors have thousands of records, but I do have a pretty impressive vinyl collection... I suspect I have around 500 or so.

I love the dollar bins at record stores more for the folk art value of the album covers..

I've sold more vinyl to FBC and donated to ELPL and Goodwill than I care to remember. I purposely didn't stop to consider the artwork because I knew that would bring my efforts to a near standstill, and I was motivated to get rid of almost all of it. I admit to holding back the Iron Butterly albums, and a couple of Elton Johns albums, and a few others, in part due to sentimentality, but also because I just liked the cover. I also kept the Fletch soundtrack album and my VHS copy of the movie. They can have my Fletch when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 13:53

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

this one?

What do you collect? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdAy8MJ4zb6vsQSbnUy-Ccb-e9zJPxPNq2DPOPlZCFm9U7352L

the school district called and suggested that we stay at least 500 feet away from their buildings...

What do you collect? 502811600 Darn near exactly like it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-24, 13:54

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not calling myself a "collector" by any means, as some true, genuine collectors have thousands of records, but I do have a pretty impressive vinyl collection... I suspect I have around 500 or so.

I've sold more vinyl to FBC and donated to ELPL and Goodwill than I care to remember. I purposely didn't stop to consider the artwork because I knew that would bring my efforts to a near standstill, and I was motivated to get rid of almost all of it. I admit to holding back the Iron Butterly albums, and a couple of Elton Johns albums, and a few others, in part due to sentimentality, but also because I just liked the cover. I also kept the Fletch soundtrack album and my VHS copy of the movie. They can have my Fletch when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
What do you collect? 502811600

I gotta add a new shelf to my homemade album storage unit soon.. What do you collect? 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 13:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

What do you collect? 502811600

I gotta add a new shelf to my homemade album storage unit soon.. What do you collect? 969504605

I don't miss collecting albums, nor does my back miss moving them.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-24, 13:57

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: What do you collect? 502811600

That's why I never plan to move.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 13:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

That's why I never plan to move.

Be sure your widow has her real estate agent write your corpse into the sale agreement.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-24, 14:24

tGreenWay wrote:I've noticed that farm signs (seed or feed) are popular on eBay. The idea that Pyrex bowls could go that high cracks me up. I actually think my mom sold a bunch of hers at a garage sale for $.50 or maybe less, though, to be fair, that was years ago.

Farm signs do very well. Old Case Eagles (they used to be mounted outside dealerships) go for up to $10k.

My mother still has a pyrex set sitting in a box that was a wedding present in 1958. I keep egging her to sell it just for kicks.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 14:28

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I've noticed that farm signs (seed or feed) are popular on eBay. The idea that Pyrex bowls could go that high cracks me up. I actually think my mom sold a bunch of hers at a garage sale for $.50 or maybe less, though, to be fair, that was years ago.

Farm signs do very well. Old Case Eagles (they used to be mounted outside dealerships) go for up to $10k.

My mother still has a pyrex set sitting in a box that was a wedding present in 1958. I keep egging her to sell it just for kicks.

Holy crap! I've seen some porcelain Case Eagles, but must be much newer versions because they've gone for nothing remotely close to $10k.
My wife is friends with someone who travels selling seeds and I guess he's been doing it for a long time. First chance I get, I'm going to suck up to him and see about getting something he's been holding onto. I'm not usually this underhanded, but what the hell, I've been a good guy most of my life, maybe I'll try being a sneaky sumbitch for awhile.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 14:29

Oh, and get mom to sell that Pyrex! What do you collect? 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-24, 14:44

tGreenWay wrote:Oh, and get mom to sell that Pyrex! What do you collect? 502811600

She doesn't like selling anything. She was collecting glass and china back in the 60s and still has 95% of it. I've spent the last year telling her to off 90% of it and keep the 10% she really likes then go blow that $$ somewhere just for fun. So far no progress.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-24, 14:48

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Holy crap! I've seen some porcelain Case Eagles, but must be much newer versions because they've gone for nothing remotely close to $10k.
My wife is friends with someone who travels selling seeds and I guess he's been doing it for a long time. First chance I get, I'm going to suck up to him and see about getting something he's been holding onto. I'm not usually this underhanded, but what the hell, I've been a good guy most of my life, maybe I'll try being a sneaky sumbitch for awhile.

$14K Eagle

Case Eagle Sign for $10,900

And here's a whole list of them at different ranges....
Case Eagles
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-04-24, 14:49

I collect spores, molds, and fungus.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-24, 15:02

The Pantry wrote:I collect spores, molds, and fungus.
you sound like a real fungi.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-04-24, 15:07

I collect THC in my lungs. Secondary to that, I've got the makings of a decent little pipe/smoking device collection. I sometimes think I might like to learn to blow glass someday and start making my own pieces, but that will probably never happen.

I remember the first time I ever went into a head shop (Wild Side in EL), I saw a pretty awesome frog, but I had my heart set on a bong that day so I didn't buy the frog. Always wish I would've, never seen another quite like it since. If I ever find something close in the future, I'm buying it without hesitation. Gonna call it the hypnotoad.

What do you collect? Hypnotoad
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 16:15

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

$14K Eagle

Case Eagle Sign for $10,900

And here's a whole list of them at different ranges....
Case Eagles

That first eagle is freaking cool.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 16:19

This is the type of answer I've been waiting for. I'm also waiting for phone numbers and ears or tongues.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-04-24, 16:25

tGreenWay wrote:

This is the type of answer I've been waiting for. I'm also waiting for phone numbers and ears or tongues.

I do collect ears. but only matching sets.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-04-24, 16:27

I haven't been into much lately except twisties and those little blue rubber bands from bunches of green onions.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-24, 17:20

goodbar wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I do collect ears. but only matching sets.

That's because you're a classy west sider.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next