Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me out / Rock N Roll

+7
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
I.B. Fine
The Pantry
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
SawGreen
11 posters

Go down

Help me out / Rock N Roll Empty Help me out / Rock N Roll

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-26, 17:50

I am pretty much locked in the past musically. I like some of the catchy new pop and country songs. For alternative, I've been pretty specific on alternative likes and dislikes.

I want rock. Is rock dead? Is album rock dead?

More than a few years back, I heard some Nickelback and thought, "hey, that sounds pretty good". Only to find out that they are the butt of jokes world wide. Sorry, I still liked it. Sounded like rock to me. I love just about anything Jack White does. Then you have the swan song works from dudes like Bowie and Warren Zevon. Those were killer.

Turn me on dead man... I need help.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Help me out / Rock N Roll Empty Re: Help me out / Rock N Roll

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-04-26, 17:53

I only have one recommendation for the modern era. Rise Against.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-26, 17:57

SawGreen wrote:I am pretty much locked in the past musically. I like some of the catchy new pop and country songs. For alternative, I've been pretty specific on alternative likes and dislikes.

More than a few years back, I heard some Nickelback and thought, "hey, that sounds pretty good". Only to find out that they are the butt of jokes world wide. Sorry, I still liked it. Sounded like rock to me. I love just about anything Jack White does. Then you have the swan song works from dudes like Bowie and Warren Zevon. Those were killer.

If you peruse the "metal" thread here there was a discussion there of newer bands.

I like Farmikos, Rival Sons, Motor Sister, among others.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-26, 17:58

Rise Against

Listening to Prayer Of The Refugee right now. A little Green Day there? So far, so good. Not quite as simple and raw, but I can dig it.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-26, 17:59

LooseGoose wrote:
SawGreen wrote:I am pretty much locked in the past musically. I like some of the catchy new pop and country songs. For alternative, I've been pretty specific on alternative likes and dislikes.

If you peruse the "metal" thread here there was a discussion there of newer bands.

I like Farmikos, Rival Sons, Motor Sister, among others.

I do think metal has stayed pretty true to form, but I'm more Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath/Motorhead than the screamers. But, I'll check these out.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-04-26, 18:02

SawGreen wrote:
Rise Against

Listening to Prayer Of The Refugee right now.  A little Green Day there?  So far, so good.  Not quite as simple and raw, but I can dig it.

They changed quite a bit after that album. More refined, mostly better.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-26, 18:04

Floyd Robertson wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Listening to Prayer Of The Refugee right now.  A little Green Day there?  So far, so good.  Not quite as simple and raw, but I can dig it.

They changed quite a bit after that album. More refined, mostly better.

Catching "Savior" now. I like it. Thank you. Good pace and hardness.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-04-26, 20:13

I do not keep up with current music, so I probably won't be much help to you either way. But perhaps you could list some of your favorite classic bands so we can hone in on your specific taste a little better. Rock is a big tent.

So far you have mentioned Nickleback, Jack White, Bowie, and Warren Zevon. Is that list representative of your tastes? Because I find that to be a slightly confounding mix based solely on those 4.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-26, 22:32

Cameron wrote:I do not keep up with current music, so I probably won't be much help to you either way. But perhaps you could list some of your favorite classic bands so we can hone in on your specific taste a little better. Rock is a big tent.

So far you have mentioned Nickleback, Jack White, Bowie, and Warren Zevon. Is that list representative of your tastes? Because I find that to be a slightly confounding mix based solely on those 4.

Yeah, kind of what it is... and a hard question.  I like good riffs with a traditional rock set-up and some edge.  Vocals I can typically follow/learn, nice lead guitar solo interlude, solid rhythm section.  Dudes playing instruments vs. synth... and originality.

I love unique vocalists (Cocker to Colin Hay to even Roland Gift), love concept albums that tell stories.  I also have a soft spot for blues influence.

I started this thread after listening to The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes" in the truck today.  Speaking of Trucks, Derek is a badass.

Last edited by SawGreen on 2017-04-26, 22:47; edited 1 time in total
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-04-26, 22:46

SawGreen wrote:
Rise Against

Listening to Prayer Of The Refugee right now. A little Green Day there? So far, so good. Not quite as simple and raw, but I can dig it.
If I ever meet the lead singer of Green Day I might feel compelled to punch his sickening, nasally voice through the back of his head.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-04-27, 00:29

SawGreen wrote:
Cameron wrote:I do not keep up with current music, so I probably won't be much help to you either way. But perhaps you could list some of your favorite classic bands so we can hone in on your specific taste a little better. Rock is a big tent.

Yeah, kind of what it is... and a hard question.  I like good riffs with a traditional rock set-up and some edge.  Vocals I can typically follow/learn, nice lead guitar solo interlude, solid rhythm section.  Dudes playing instruments vs. synth... and originality.

I love unique vocalists (Cocker to Colin Hay to even Roland Gift), love concept albums that tell stories.  I also have a soft spot for blues influence.

I started this thread after listening to The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes" in the truck today.  Speaking of Trucks, Derek is a badass.

As I said before, I don't keep up with current music much. Have you checked out the Black Keys? Looking at Wikipedia, they haven't put out an album since 2014, but they've got a definite blues influence.

Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2017-04-27, 11:41

I was going to suggest Black Keys (f.u Cameron!), try plugging in an artist you like with Pandora or Spotify as a radio station and see who they mix in. I also mix in Arctic Monkeys and Cage the Elephant among others
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-27, 11:43

what current bands do you listen to? or what do you find musically appealing?

are you more into a pulsating rock sound? do lyrics matter?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-04-27, 11:50

Not dead, just not much to choose from these days.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2017-04-27, 12:01

The Struts
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-27, 12:03

Butch Walker has been and is currently doing a lot of great stuff.. from the most record record "Stay Gold".

good, straight up rock with a big wall of sound chorus - if you're looking for harder stuff, with more of a metal lean, this isn't it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-04-27, 12:04

SawGreen likes Nickelback! Everyone make fun of him!!!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-27, 12:05

The Gaslight Anthem - though currently on hiatus - is one of the better straight up rock bands of the last 8-10 years - good garage sound with some great writing.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-27, 12:09

Deer Tick is a fun band.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-27, 12:13

Lee Baines and The Glory Fires.. some good 'ol southern boys with a social conscience.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-27, 15:29

Cheap Trick released the 1st song off their new album today - sounds like a solid rocker to me.

One of the more underrated bands of the last 40 years.

Song is embedded in the article.
Cheap Trick Debuts 'Long Time Coming' Single From 'We're All Alright!' Album: Exclusive

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-27, 15:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:what current bands do you listen to? or what do you find musically appealing?

I tried to describe that up above.  I'm kind of all over the place, but if it makes sense, I want some music that I find so appealing that I'll play it over and over. Understanding the lyrics is probably a common denominator there.  

I guess the reason those childhood songs are so ingrained is because they were both good AND played repeatedly.  I'll need to change my methods of listening.

I have listened to everything that wasn't posted as of a few hours ago, and this thread is really hitting the mark because I'm liking pretty much everything.  Black Keys, Rise Against, Farmikos, Rival Sons, Motor Sister (very good).
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-27, 15:54

SawGreen wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:what current bands do you listen to? or what do you find musically appealing?

I tried to describe that up above.  I'm kind of all over the place, but if it makes sense, I want some music that I find so appealing that I'll play it over and over. Understanding the lyrics is probably a common denominator there.  

I guess the reason those childhood songs are so ingrained is because they were both good AND played repeatedly.  I'll need to change my methods of listening.

I have listened to everything that wasn't posted as of a few hours ago, and this thread is really hitting the mark because I'm liking pretty much everything.  Black Keys, Rise Against, Farmikos, Rival Sons, Motor Sister (very good).

Since you like Motor Sister I'll spill a little on them. Guitarist for the band is Scott Ian from Anthrax. His wife Pearl Aday (daughter of Meat Loaf) does some vocals. The band was a LA band that Ian loved as a youngster, went and looked the original guy and recorded their old songs with him.

Mother Superior were an L.A. rock band that disbanded a few years ago. Anthrax‘s Scott Ian was a big fan of the band, who released numerous albums and did session work with everyone from Henry Rollins to George Clinton to Queens of the Stone Age.

Now, the band’s songs are being brought back to life by the new supergroup Motor Sister. The existence of the project was revealed a couple months ago, and now we know more information about the band and their debut album.

Motor Sister includes Mother Superior frontman Jim Wilson, Joey Vera (Fates Warning, Armored Saint) and John Tempesta (White Zombie, The Cult) along with Scott Ian and his wife Pearl Aday. Ian says the group began due to his 50th birthday party wish of wanting to hear Mother Superior play again. Pearl, who has worked with Wilson for years, set things up.

One of my favorites of theirs...

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-04-27, 16:24

Brian Jonestown Massacre
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-27, 17:50

LooseGoose wrote:Since you like Motor Sister I'll spill a little on them. Guitarist for the band is Scott Ian from Anthrax. His wife Pearl Aday (daughter of Meat Loaf) does some vocals. The band was a LA band that Ian loved as a youngster, went and looked the original guy and recorded their old songs with him.

I recognized Ian straight off and it put them up a notch. He's always been a rhythm guy, so I have no idea about his musicianship, but I've heard him interviewed so often about music that I know he is a true aficionado, and not just the metal genre.

I figure he won't get too involved in something on a whim and wants to produce some good work.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-27, 17:59

SawGreen wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Since you like Motor Sister I'll spill a little on them. Guitarist for the band is Scott Ian from Anthrax. His wife Pearl Aday (daughter of Meat Loaf) does some vocals. The band was a LA band that Ian loved as a youngster, went and looked the original guy and recorded their old songs with him.

I recognized Ian straight off and it put them up a notch. He's always been a rhythm guy, so I have no idea about his musicianship, but I've heard him interviewed so often about music that I know he is a true aficionado, and not just the metal genre.

I figure he won't get too involved in something on a whim and wants to produce some good work.

I like Motor Sister more than Anthrax. I've always liked the guys in Anthrax, just never been a big fan of their music. Doesn't hurt that I think Pearl is hot.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-04-27, 18:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Lee Baines and The Glory Fires.. some good 'ol southern boys with a social conscience.

Thanks Bobby.

Butch Walker - a little reminiscent of Lou Reed at first blush, then it went another direction.

Gaslight Anthem - yes, good rock

Deer Tick - I turned them on and when back to work, and 10 minutes after the video ended, I was humming the chorus

Lee Baines and The Glory Fires - Like it. Southern theme with a non-typical pace.

... I am going to be busy some night downloading this stuff.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-28, 07:55

SawGreen wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Thanks Bobby.

Butch Walker - a little reminiscent of Lou Reed at first blush, then it went another direction.

Deer Tick - I turned them on and when back to work, and 10 minutes after the video ended, I was humming the chorus

Lee Baines and The Glory Fires - Like it. Southern theme with a non-typical pace.

sweet.. yeah, I don't know much.. in fact, I don't know a lot of anything. But I know good bands.

if you're ever interested in some well-written, sad bastard music - the kind that makes you just sit in a chair, drinking cheap whiskey all alone in the middle of the day.. staring out the window.. with your lonely reflection looking back at you wondering who the hell you are and how the hell you got there..  let me know..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-28, 09:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Thanks Bobby.

sweet.. yeah, I don't know much.. in fact, I don't know a lot of anything. But I know good bands.

if you're ever interested in some well-written, sad bastard music - the kind that makes you just sit in a chair, drinking cheap whiskey all alone in the middle of the day.. staring out the window.. with your lonely reflection looking back at you wondering who the hell you are and how the hell you got there..  let me know..

I even question your taste in bands.

You left too early yesterday for me to warn you that "Convicts at Large" was on at 5 or so last night.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-04-28, 09:38

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I even question your taste in bands.

You left too early yesterday for me to warn you that "Convicts at Large" was on at 5 or so last night.
don't start with my music, mister.. Help me out / Rock N Roll 1896033241

that might be my favorite episode.. either that or "Barney's First Car".. Barney and the Choir is a good one, too.

heck, my kid will watch them with me and sit on the couch giggling - my suspicion is that there aren't too many 17 year old kids sitting around watching The Andy Griffith Show. Help me out / Rock N Roll 502811600

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-08, 18:13

Little Gary Graff story on Rival Sons....

Rival Sons at The Fillmore, Three Things To Know

It’s been a heady year and a half for Rival Sons.

The hard-hitting Los Angeles quartet had built a strong reputation before Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne tapped it to open for Black Sabbath’s The End farewell tour dates last year, a kind of passing-the-torch honor that speaks volumes about the mark Rival Sons has made with its bluesy brand of heavy rock, a timeless sound that hearkens back to the heyday of classic rock while still holding contemporary sway. During its Sabbath swing the group also released its sixth studio album, “Hollow Bones,” which gave Rival Sons its second straight No. 1 debut on Billboard’s Heatseekers chart.

And with The End having ended earlier this year, Rival Sons is now out on its own, building on the momentum and goodwill it generated.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2017-05-08, 22:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Butch Walker has been and is currently doing a lot of great stuff.. from the most record record "Stay Gold".

good, straight up rock with a big wall of sound chorus - if you're looking for harder stuff, with more of a metal lean, this isn't it.

Best thing Butch Walker ever did was Floyd's Funk Revival. Saw them live a couple times at Smith's Olde Bar. Great shows.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-11, 10:19

Bob Seger books DTE show for first Pine Knob date in 21 years
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-13, 16:43

Review and setlist for new U2 tour:
U2 kick off Joshua Tree Tour with rarities and brand new song: Setlist + Video
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-15, 11:04

For the old timers here - The Original Alice Cooper band performing some old hits together for the first time 40 years.

Watch Alice Cooper Reunite With Original Band Members for Special Live Set
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-05-15, 13:27

Pandora Radio is pretty good. Just punch in a band you like and listen. It will find a bunch of bands similar to the ones you like and just make a list of them.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-15, 13:51

new Matthew Ryan record out last week.. good vibes. Produced by Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem - pretty sure he also plays on every track.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-22, 08:34

The local touch.....

Frankenmuth's Greta Van Fleet talks record deal, tour and graduation

FRANKENMUTH, MI -- Greta Van Fleet, the Frankenmuth-based rock band, is continuing to make headlines and big moves in the music industry while gaining worldwide attention.

The group established their band in 2012. Since then they've had the opportunity to work with Al Sutton, Kid Rock, Hank Williams Jr. and Marlon Young, according to their publicist.

The quartet writes and performs their own music. It includes 21-year-old twin brothers Josh Kiszka on vocals and Jake Kiszka on guitars, younger brother Sam Kiszka, 18, on bass, and best friend Danny Wagner, 18, on drums.

Recently, the band signed to New York-based record label Lava Records, and had its song "Highway Tune" featured this year on Showtime's "Shameless." The group was also named Apple Music's new artist of the week.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-05-22, 12:03

Greta Van Fleet

I really enjoyed that and checked out some more. These kids have a great sound.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down